Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Godzilla vs. Kong (The Monsterverse)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Has anyone checked out the massive Criterion boxset featuring all of the Showa era films? My local library finally got it in and I've been taking a look at some of the films I haven't seen in either a long time or ever. It's been cool to check them out in HD and Tohoscope.
    Yep. It's good to have all of these restored and available in the US, despite the content that wasn't included. My only complaint would be the box set colors and size make it look like a children's book at quick glance.

If you're interested in exploring further eras, or looking for an English version, etc., that is not available on the set, this user on archive.org has at least 2 versions for the majority of the films. They are sourced from the Toho Blu-rays, and various EU DVDs:

https://archive.org/details/@gorizard?sort=titleSorter

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    And Godzilla vs Kong has now been pushed back AGAIN to May 2021...that would explain a lack of a trailer...

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...y-2021/.160590

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

OK so, putting aside many parts of the world will STILL be in various lockdowns for the cinema part, WHERE IS THE TRAILER?! It's 2 months away and we have seen NOTHING! The films been finished for awhile, does anyone else find this somewhat discerning?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    They pushed back The Sopranos prequel movie until September. It was meant to come out in March. Guess Godzilla vs Kong took its place.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

HOLD THE FUCK UP DID I SPOT MECHA GODZILLA!?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    They made Godzilla a friggin' villain?!? There better be a good reason because I'm not happy .

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    They made Godzilla a friggin' villain?!? There better be a good reason because I'm not happy .
    100% he isn't the villain. In this universe he has saved the world twice, and has never been antagonistic to humans, he has just been keeping order by taking out other monsters. Calling it now, that Godzilla Kongs fighting in the trailers...not the big G...it's mecha! Now for what reason it could be anything (humans, charles dances goons from the last one, aliens etc) but no way they are making the hero from the pervious films just turn heel so he can fight Kong (and automatically mean he is billed to lose! If he was the villian no way he'd beat Kong in the end)

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    If you pay attention to the trailer, it actually spoils that plot point. Now I’m worried about the movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    If you pay attention to the trailer, it actually spoils that plot point. Now I’m worried about the movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ugh, you're right.

I forgot Tywin Lannister still has Ghidorahs head. Also forgot there was a toy leak about what will be in the film.. Eh, somewhat looking forward to it.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 01-24-2021 at 02:30 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Ugh, you're right.

I forgot Tywin Lannister still has Ghidorahs head. Also forgot there was a toy leak about what will be in the film.. Eh, somewhat looking forward to it.
    And now, you're missing Tyrion and his crossbow, don't you? Also: don't forget that the original Gorija was a villain.

Mecha all the way, by the way. That's the only explanation.

Kong is now a bit taller than Zilla. Thor, pay attention: Kong went for the head.

Love the little girl and her Kong doll. I want a Kong doll.

Finally: fuck you, Covid-19. This movie needs to be seen on a huge screen and heard through speakers so gigantic and loud that you feel the Titans breath on your face when they roar and scream.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    And now, you're missing Tyrion and his crossbow, don't you? Also: don't forget that the original Gorija was a villain.
    Hahaa, that made me chuckle. And I'm aware of what Gorija was back in 54'; it is one of my favorites! Agreed, I would like to see this on the big screen after seeing the first two there. The visuals were sooo good in KOTM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Hahaa, that made me chuckle. And I'm aware of what Gorija was back in 54'; it is one of my favorites! Agreed, I would like to see this on the big screen after seeing the first two there. The visuals were sooo good in KOTM.
    1954 Gojira is also one of my favorite. The message in that movie, of how we created that monster, still resonate in the most recent films.

And I love KOTM. That scene when Mothra comes out of her cocoon... so incredibly gorgeous!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm a fan of The Return Of Godzilla (1984) aka Godzilla 1985

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Lets not forget Shin Godzilla, straight up villain in that! Was also awesome.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

saw this on twitter yesterday.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    OK here's a REALLY out there theory (note i have not looked at any of the leaks of the toys or anything, i'm just having some fun) curtesy of the Weekly Planet Podcast...what if there are 2 Godzillas?

In most other Godzilla timelines there are 2 Godzillas, original and then a baby that becomes the main one. The Big G in the trailers looks a bit smaller, so what if it's an infant Godzilla. Basically at the end of GotM's Godzilla was in a bit of a state so went to hibernate, and was then taken (know idea how but stay with me) and was then mecha'd up to control it. Lil G is rampaging because it's trying to find it's parent, and clashing with Kong...in the end they end up teaming up to try and save (or fight) mecha? That could be fun.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

had to put the source the panels come from JIC.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    UK Officially NOT GETTING A CINEMATIC RELEASE and will be ONLINE ONLY.

https://www.liveforfilm.com/2021/03/15/godzilla-vs-kong-gets-a-new-featurette-and-a-uk-release-date/

I'm so incredibly angry about this. Everyone else seems to be getting both, but nope just online for us. There's no way i can watch this on my crappy 720p monitors (and they want nearly £20 as well, the fucking blu-ray will be cheaper when that comes out!) Fuck sake.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Can't seem to find any information on how to see this in Germany. Guess we will follow the UK rout and have it streamed only as cinemas are still not open here/close off again. But there is no way I'll pay 20+ € to see this on the small screen. I'll gladly throw my money at it for the big screen, but this year in movie's is a bummer just like 2020. :/

Yet, I'm super hyped up about this movie and early reviews are quite good. Then again, I just want some badass monster-action and the trailers keep promising just that. :9

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by typhil01 View Post
    I love movies that present Godzilla in a positive light. Unfortunately, it's not the way it's often portrayed.
    I'm the opposite. Godzilla 1985 is my favorite G-movie. I think Godzilla should be feared. He should be scary. Not a monster superhero.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    According to RT: 9 reviews so far, all of them positive. I'm going tonight to my local cinema!

Edit: Just came back from the cinema, really entertaining film! I felt more engaged here than in Godzilla: King of the Monsters. The human characters are more enjoyable here, their backstory is still minimal compared to the battle between Kong and Godzilla, but it is more enjoyable than the King of the Monsters backstory. Millie Bobby Brown is quite good here compared to the last film, her sidekicks are quite funny.

Spoiler: The Hong Kong battle sequence is quite something, I really liked the aesthetic of that whole sequence, the lighting was phenomenal.

And this film veers the MonsterVerse into sci fi territory, I found that whole section of the film fascinating. When the term “hollow Earth” was first mentioned I kinda rolled my eyes, I thought that suspension of disbelief was going to be hard there but actually it was not, that whole act really worked (for me at least). I felt transported to a far away world, I guess this is what I would expect from a movie in this Covid world, to disconnect from reality for a couple of hours.

King Kong’s “acting” was superb, they really nailed its eyes, you can feel emotion through its eyes. I wasn’t expecting much after the King of the Monsters fiasco so this was a nice surprise.

My ranking:
    1. Godzilla (2014)
    2. Godzilla vs Kong
    3. Kong: Skull Island
    4. King of the Monsters
    Last edited by cahernandez; 03-29-2021 at 09:46 AM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Glad you liked it! I'm totally stoked, but it's oh so frustrating as today seems to be the official release in Germany, yet no cinemas are open and there's no channel to stream it on. I have no idea on how to get my hands on this movie in the next coming weeks. A real bummer...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Spoiler: Forgot to mention that there’s some sort of homage to 2001: A Space Odyssey. That was a cool scene, you’ll know which one I’m talking about.

I saw it on IMAX, totally worth it. Go for IMAX if you have the chance.
    Last edited by cahernandez; 03-29-2021 at 09:45 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I thought this didn't hit theaters until next week. How's everyone seeing it early?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I thought this didn't hit theaters until next week. How's everyone seeing it early?
    In Mexico the release was a week ahead of the US, don't know why.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Use of the spoiler function would be nice...

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Going by myself Thursday afternoon to the only true IMAX near me, at the Lincoln Center AMC. Psyched outta my mind, but also prepared to be let down bc the last Godzilla sucked. I was able to ignore the awful human stuff for the King movie, but I couldn't shake it for the last Godzilla and it really clouded my final opinion.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

way to miss the point. wow.

I mean, if you're going to a monster movie hoping for a human connection...why?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I fail to see the negative here.