Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Worst NIN song

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Don't worry, it is. Unspoken's the word typically used in that phrase though which might be why it sounded off to you. Same meaning though!
    So what is your least favorite track?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seed_0 View Post
    So what is your least favorite track?
    Pretty sure I said Deep on the first thread which led to the flurry of people saying they like it. Only NIN song I actively dislike. There are some I think are lesser songs, but that's about the only one I genuinely don't enjoy at all, have zero interest in hearing again and if it got played at a show I attended, I'd be disappointed that a different song hadn't been played instead.

To offer something more fresh I guess, if covers were allowed then Zoo Station. Boring song, uninteresting cover. I get it was meant as a little throwaway tribute and likely done in a matter of days, but then again something like Ghosts 28 was a matter of days and that song's some of Trent's best instrumental work, so it still doesn't excuse it or anything.

Also I'm not a huge fan of Letting You (every live version seems to be vastly superior) and 1,000,000 is way too "rock" for my tastes. I'd say that the more typical rock-oriented material is when I like NIN the least, but With_Teeth's my third favorite album and the most of that kind of material TR's ever done, so I can't exactly say that. I just find 1,000,000 far less interesting than other songs and would be way better if it was a minute shorter. Ilan's drumming on it at every show I've seen made it a lot more enjoyable, though, and the fact it was loaded at the front of shows gave it a degree of hype that made it far more enjoyable.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    maybe just once.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Pretty sure I said Deep on the first thread which led to the flurry of people saying they like it. Only NIN song I actively dislike. There are some I think are lesser songs, but that's about the only one I genuinely don't enjoy at all, have zero interest in hearing again and if it got played at a show I attended, I'd be disappointed that a different song hadn't been played instead.

To offer something more fresh I guess, if covers were allowed then Zoo Station. Boring song, uninteresting cover. I get it was meant as a little throwaway tribute and likely done in a matter of days, but then again something like Ghosts 28 was a matter of days and that song's some of Trent's best instrumental work, so it still doesn't excuse it or anything.

Also I'm not a huge fan of Letting You (every live version seems to be vastly superior) and 1,000,000 is way too "rock" for my tastes. I'd say that the more typical rock-oriented material is when I like NIN the least, but With_Teeth's my third favorite album and the most of that kind of material TR's ever done, so I can't exactly say that. I just find 1,000,000 far less interesting than other songs and would be way better if it was a minute shorter. Ilan's drumming on it at every show I've seen made it a lot more enjoyable, though, and the fact it was loaded at the front of shows gave it a degree of hype that made it far more enjoyable.
    I agree on the 1000000 and letting you. As far as Zoo Station goes, I think it was actually written more for U2 than actual fans, everyone expected Trent to out industrial U2 so he made a cover that was more U2 than NIN

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I agree on the 1000000 and letting you. As far as Zoo Station goes, I think it was actually written more for U2 than actual fans, everyone expected Trent to out industrial U2 so he made a cover that was more U2 than NIN
    Yeah, the compilation it was on was some Achtung Baby tribute album, right? Usually those sorts of things are always more or less slaves to the source material, and Trent's a big fan and all. Still was a real let down at the time since we were in a middle of a NIN drought, and I'm pretty sure the most recent material we'd had was Tetsuo, which was the coolest sounding thing he's done in ages.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Yeah, the compilation it was on was some Achtung Baby tribute album, right? Usually those sorts of things are always more or less slaves to the source material, and Trent's a big fan and all. Still was a real let down at the time since we were in a middle of a NIN drought, and I'm pretty sure the most recent material we'd had was Tetsuo, which was the coolest sounding thing he's done in ages.
    It was a cd on a UK music magazine, can't remember which one. But I think flood was involved in achtung baby and zoo station was U2 going more industrial which is why I think Trent did the cover more U2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    It was a cd on a UK music magazine, can't remember which one. But I think flood was involved in achtung baby and zoo station was U2 going more industrial which is why I think Trent did the cover more U2
    He should of did a cover "Hold me, Thrill me, Kiss Me, Kill Me".

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    He should of did
    I twitched.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    He should of did a cover "Hold me, Thrill me, Kiss Me, Kill Me".
    Batman Forever is my favorite of all time.

Sorry, I had to hijack this thread for a sec. Go on...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Batman Forever is my favorite of all time.

Sorry, I had to hijack this thread for a sec. Go on...
    Wow someone actually remember that movie.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    If we're talking NIN, Batman Forever and covers now, good Christ I genuinely would love to hear Trent do a Kiss From a Rose cover. I can hear his throaty voice delivering the "bada-ba, ba-da-ba-ba-ba-BA, ba-da-ba"'s already and all of ETS melting out of salty comments.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Batman Forever 4ever!!!11

And I seriously keep forgetting that Deep exists. I remember it every few years, but it doesn't really make a strong impression. So, on second thought, that might be my least favorite.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Wow someone actually remember that movie.
    Hell yes, my Dad took me to see it when I was 11, and my mom took me to '89 Batman back when that was in theaters.

If we're talking NIN, Batman Forever and covers now, good Christ I genuinely would love to hear Trent do a Kiss From a Rose cover. I can hear his throaty voice delivering the "bada-ba, ba-da-ba-ba-ba-BA, ba-da-ba"'s already and all of ETS melting out of salty comments.
    You know I was thinking the same, that would be bad ass. All industrial and moody sounding lolz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post

And I seriously keep forgetting that Deep exists. I remember it every few years, but it doesn't really make a strong impression. So, on second thought, that might be my least favorite.
    Never knew "Deep" was so disappointing.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Can't really understand the hatred for Deep. Yeah, we all know the video is terrible, but I really dig the song itself. I've probably listened to it more than some of the more popular tracks to be honest.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Deep is just ... so much less than NIN can be. It's like totally of-that-era, in a way NIN often isn't, and in a way nothing much else from The Fragile era is (aside from, maybe, Where Is Everybody? for it's incredibly odd rap-rock verses). The lyrics are just ... ugh. Lost in Space references? Really? I don't know, all the things people mistake Closer as being, Deep actually is. It's a record label contractually obligated turn-in and it sounds like it to me. The video is pretty much the start of NIN videos sucking and "I'm gonna go make a withdrawal" "Can I come?" became an in-joke between an ex of mine and I.

And, worst of all, it's pretty fucking boring. It's just boring, and bland, and uninspired -- a word I would almost never use to describe anything else Trent's released.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Deep is just ... so much less than NIN can be. It's like totally of-that-era, in a way NIN often isn't, and in a way nothing much else from The Fragile era is (aside from, maybe, Where Is Everybody? for it's incredibly odd rap-rock verses). The lyrics are just ... ugh. Lost in Space references? Really? I don't know, all the things people mistake Closer as being, Deep actually is. It's a record label contractually obligated turn-in and it sounds like it to me. The video is pretty much the start of NIN videos sucking and "I'm gonna go make a withdrawal" "Can I come?" became an in-joke between an ex of mine and I.

And, worst of all, it's pretty fucking boring. It's just boring, and bland, and uninspired -- a word I would almost never use to describe anything else Trent's released.
    The I like the flow of the song and the lyrics don't bother me that much. It is far from the bottom of my list to say the least.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I feel like people don't like Deep because people don't like Deep.

Every arguments against it work against any other songs, like Only, or The Big Come Down or I Do Not Want This.

Trent is awesome. Everything he does is great. Except Pretty Hate Machine

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Alright. I'm listening to Deep again. It sounds "alright", but I just don't think I'd ever have the urge to listen to it other than just to check if I like it. I don't have an issue with the video because I'm not sure I ever watched it. And I don't have an issue with the lyrics either since even after just listening to it, I couldn't tell you any besides "deep" and "through", I think? (I tend to not pay much attention to lyrics initially.)

But, really, if you particularly like Deep, you shouldn't be surprised that someone else dislikes it. Whether someone loves, hates, or is even particularly bored by a track is due to the track differing from the norm in some way. (Not to say that the way a track is unique is necessarily easy to explain - the way we experience music is complicated.)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    I feel like people don't like Deep because people don't like Deep.

Every arguments against it work against any other songs, like Only, or The Big Come Down or I Do Not Want This.

Trent is awesome. Everything he does is great. Except Pretty Hate Machine
    Holy balls this is so loaded with material for the controversial opinions thread and ripe for bickering responses and in-fighting

The Big Come Down is one of the greatest things Trent's ever made and is the culmination of all the themes and subjects that came before it on The Fragile. It's the final climax of what many consider to be Trent's finest work, and is certainly his most ambitious, before the falling action that is Underneath It All and Ripe (With Decay). It lyrically destroys any and all personal progress that came before it and tears the scar apart, taking any healing that may have once occurred with it. It's fantastic. It's powerful. It's raw. The production is unbelievable and it's some of the man's best use of sound to date. If The Big Come Down wasn't on The Fragile, The Fragile would be a lesser album. It's the arrival to the destination the whole journey led to.

Deep is a song on the Tomb Raider soundtrack.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    ... Everything he does is great...
    Come on, man, Everything is garbage

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Deep is a song on the Tomb Raider soundtrack.
    Thank you, Captain Obvious. I don't think its inclusion on a soundtrack automatically qualifies it as a shitty song though. I mean, is the cover of "Dead Souls" a shitty song just because it was on The Crow soundtrack? I'm not saying Deep is one of the best NIN tracks, but I find it kind of baffling to see it repeatedly mentioned as one of the worst. I find the drums and the synth bassline to be catchy as fuck, and I really don't find the lyrics to be all that bad. I still stand by my statement that Trent's lyrics have never been that great to begin with though (with a few exceptions), so lyrics really don't make or break a NIN song for me anyway.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I love the build up in Deep into the solo. The solo fucking jams. Also the final chorus when he breaks in with the "we could become" line, in between the normal lines. '

"Zoo station" didnt do it for me either. I was expecting something totally different. Its just kind of boring. And i love ambient and mellow and shoegazy type stuff. But it doesnt really go anywhere. Drum beat stays the same and its all E-bows from start to finish. Chorus is ok i guess.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Can't really understand the hatred for Deep. Yeah, we all know the video is terrible, but I really dig the song itself. I've probably listened to it more than some of the more popular tracks to be honest.
    I'll take the video for Deep any day over the video for Came Back Haunted or Only. The only real bad part is the reporter with the narration. It would have been fine if they just cut this part out.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post
    Come on, man, Everything is garbage
    I will fight you

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Trents cover of Hurt was horrible man, why did he have to ruin the original? :P

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I've always loved the lyrics to Deep.

Come at me bros.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So what's next? I think there are few tracks left on TF that people can claim as their least favorite.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Deep is better than any song on WT/YZ/Slip or HM

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Zoo Station
    Trent's voice in that song is sex.