Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: RIP David Bowie

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    I wake up and David Bowie is dead.

There's a lot of talk on the internet about how silly it is to get upset at celebrity deaths. To an extent, I agree. I think it depends on how valuable that person is to who you are. David Bowie was very important to me and a huge influence on many of the people and things I enjoy. I'm openly sad at this news. I wish I wasn't at work right now.

I loved David Bowie. Even at a young age, I was hearing his music and enjoying his work as The Goblin King in Labyrinth, a movie I still hold dear to this day and let's not forget his crazy awesome cameo in Twin Peaks-Fire Walk With Me.

I'm glad we got one last album from him and I regret that I never got to see him on tour.

Goodbye, thank you for the positive impact on my life and rest in peace.

I know and agree. Like I said I'm fine and whatever with famous/celeb deaths but this one genuinely makes me sad. Like no bullshit. Awful.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

My very first song. As I'm sure it was for many of us here.

How the fuck am I supposed to get anything done today

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    It all fits:
    - Him releasing "Blackstar" almost 2 years after the "Next Day" (not waiting 10+ years like he did with "Reality")
    - The main themes in the album: Death, decadence, violence.
    - The "Lazarus" video (not just the obvious, also the fact that he rushed the release of a second vid)
    - Him not wanting to tour (i know that he decided this before knowing he was sick, but i bet the disease was striking at the time)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    For the first couple of hours, I was just stunned. Couldn't feel anything. Now I cannot stop crying.

I think Col. Chris Hadfield (who recorded Space Oddity in space, if you remember) said it best:

"Ashes to ashes, dust to stardust. Your brilliance inspired us all. Goodbye Starman.
    "

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Brian Eno says they were considering revisiting Outside and taking it somewhere new as it fell through the cracks before he died.

http://m.pitchfork.com/news/62839-br...ogether-again/

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    This was my intro to Bowie when I was a kid.

He and Mick are together again now, Starmen in the sky.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Walked 'round to a few of the record stores near my workplace on break just now. One was playing Fame, the other Subterraneans. Guy behind the counter at the last one and I just shared a look and a nod. His eyes were red.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I'm crushed... Woke up and read the news, and haven't been able to do anything with myself all morning.
    My four year old loves his music, too, and he's home with me today. I'm trying not to be a bawling mess in front of him. He sat quietly with me and listened to all of Blackstar.
    Sad day.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Now he can reunite The Spiders from Mars with Mick and Trevor up there (with Bonzo filling in on drums).

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Say and think what you want about Marilyn Manson but these words he gave were an awesome AWESOME read:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz3wxX6O9NA

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Last edited by Dra508; 01-11-2016 at 03:13 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    From one of his childhood friends and collaborator in Peter Frampton: https://twitter.com/peterframpton/st...87911207280640

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Seriously, fuck those holier-than-thou, better than the herd and oh-so deep obnoxious tits. Whenever there is a collective reaction to an event, you have those pretentious twats commenting from the sidelines, like a bunch of insecure sarcastic teen goths still convinced that being cynical is cool.
    Get off my emotional lawn, and go vape yourselves.
    I was trying to be a bit polite about it and could see raising a judgmental eyebrow if a Kardashian dying tore a stranger up but yes, you're right.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Lazarus is quite prophetic.

You're free blue bird....

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    I was trying to be a bit polite about it and could see raising a judgmental eyebrow if a Kardashian dying tore a stranger up but yes, you're right.
    I have no problem with people not getting the point, or being uninterested. I'll silently chuckle at whoever mourns a Kardashian too. But I won't go on Facebook or reddit to show off how superior and sophisticated I am by pissing on everyone's parade or funeral.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Lazarus is quite prophetic.

You're free blue bird....
    Prophetic implies he didn't know about it, unless he did write before he was diagnosed. I have no idea. While keeping the issue personal, it wouldn't surprise me if he felt comfortable expressing it through his music, I mean, that's part of what being an artist is all about.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halloween View Post
    While keeping the issue personal, it wouldn't surprise me if he felt comfortable expressing it through his music, I mean, that's part of what being an artist is all about.
    Birds in art, flying free, the references instantly remind me of Shelley's "To a Skylark."

We look before and after,
    And pine for what is not:
    Our sincerest laughter
    With some pain is fraught;
    Our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddest thought.

Yet if we could scorn
    Hate, and pride, and fear;
    If we were things born
    Not to shed a tear,
    I know not how thy joy we ever should come near.

Better than all measures
    Of delightful sound,
    Better than all treasures
    That in books are found,
    Thy skill to poet were, thou scorner of the ground!

Teach me half the gladness
    That thy brain must know,
    Such harmonious madness
    From my lips would flow
    The world should listen then, as I am listening now.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-11-2016 at 03:45 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Prophetic implies he didn't know about it, unless he did write before he was diagnosed. I have no idea. While keeping the issue personal, it wouldn't surprise me if he felt comfortable expressing it through his music, I mean, that's part of what being an artist is all about.
    He absolutely knew about it. This album was carefully planned alongside his death http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/cele...ed-finale.html

I'm really amazed at the level he went with this. I can't think of many people who have coordinated art with their own death that went to this extent.

And it wasn't just everything surrounding the album. It seems he had his own private little versions that unfolded with is friends. Ex, this instance with Brian Eno: http://www.nytimes.com/live/david-bo...aying-goodbye/

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I'm honestly not sad. I'm too amazed at what he just pulled off. I'm sure there will be more realizations like the 2 I posted above.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    I'm honestly not sad. I'm too amazed at what he just pulled off. I'm sure there will be more realizations like the 2 I posted above.
    @halloween wasn't saying he didn't know about it, she was pointing out to Dra that "prophetic" means somebody DIDN'T know about it, and longtime collaborator (like, from the friggin' SIXTIES) Tony Visconti today said on Facebook that Bowie made this album as a parting gift.

A Belgian theater director who worked with Bowie for Lazarus said Bowie had liver cancer. "I saw a man fighting. He fought like a lion and kept working through it all. I had incredible respect for that."

Bowie, who turned 69 Friday, kept his cancer private and only his closest circle knew.
    Evidently, Eno was NOT in his "closest circle." He probably just didn't want people dwelling on it.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-11-2016 at 04:40 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    @allegro. I know. I was agreeing with @halloween. The article i first linked to contains that very quote by Visconti

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    @allegro. I know. I was agreeing with @halloween. The article i first linked to contains that very quote by Visconti
    Yes, but 800 articles are doing that, I provided a direct quote. A bunch of journalists are reading all kinds of extra crap into this, one author in the Bowie thread swears Bowie deliberately died on a Monday so that people in the U.K. be the first to find out that he died. Wtf.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    True. Prophetic for us since it seems his diagnosis was not common knowledge. Regardless, it's a great song.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Singalong at the Bowie mural in Brixton last night: https://twitter.com/shreenas/status/686628304871387136

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Yes, but 800 articles are doing that, I provided a direct quote. A bunch of journalists are reading all kinds of extra crap into this, one author in the Bowie thread swears Bowie deliberately died on a Monday so that people in the U.K. be the first to find out that he died. Wtf.
    i saw this in the news and wondered how the reporter could say such a thing without talking about assisted suicide or something.
    how else do you deliberately die?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    My favorite performance of David Bowie: