Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Spotting: 2016 Edition

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)

NIN Spotting: 2016 Edition

I've always wanted to make one of these.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    On some entertainment show yesterday... I think it was E Now, they did a segment on what stars request in their dressing rooms and apparently Trent Reznor had asked for corn starch or baby powder in the past to help get his leather or rubber pants on more easily.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Aaaahahaha look at this shit

http://nin.com/tourdates.html

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Aaaahahaha look at this shit

http://nin.com/tourdates.html

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't that been up for years?

So a possibly alienating nerdy spotting, I was listening to the Dear Hank and John podcast, catching up on a dozen episodes (so I don't remember which one it was in, but it was fairly recent) and John mentioned having been an angsty teen when Pretty Hate Machine came out, so he bought it and loved it. Went on to say that his dad, in typical dad form, listened to it, said he really enjoyed the music, and bought his own copy (which then was passed down to Hank).
    Basically for like 5 minutes they both reminisce about how much they loved that album and still to this day enjoy it.
    I just thought it was cool that they're fans, or at least, fans of PHM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    (Starting at 3:15)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    (Starting at 3:15)
    Was this video narrated by Ronald McDonald?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    On some entertainment show yesterday... I think it was E Now, they did a segment on what stars request in their dressing rooms and apparently Trent Reznor had asked for corn starch or baby powder in the past to help get his leather or rubber pants on more easily.
    That's not why. The corn starch goes on the outside. See old NIN footage or watch Closure.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Cringeworthy moment just now where the news lady on msnbc just mentioned Trent in relation to the Bowie death, calling him "Trent Reznick." Lol wtf?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by placepinion View Post
    Cringeworthy moment just now where the news lady on msnbc just mentioned Trent in relation to the Bowie death, calling him "Trent Reznick." Lol wtf?
    She has watched The Machinist one time too many. She must be a huge Christian Bale fan.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    She has watched The Machinist one time too many. She must be a huge Christian Bale fan.
    Wait for CNN to call him 'Trevor Reznick'.

And Fox News to call him 'Trevor... TR something... We don't know him if he don't do no country music.'

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 12:14 PM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    Has Trent said anything publicly about David Bowie's passing?
    Not as yet, no.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Has Trent said anything publicly about David Bowie's passing?
    saying nothing gives more impact. everybody reacts on social media dropping wonderful pics with themselves and david. yeah, very important....

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Wouldn't be too surprised if NIN 2016 ended up being postponed or discarded after that.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Am I the only one thinking that TR's attachment to Bowie is being hugely exaggerated on this board?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Am I the only one thinking that TR's attachment to Bowie is being hugely exaggerated on this board?
    It is hugely exaggerated. By people who don't even know what the relationship was. Trent even mentioned in an interview in 2012 that he had extended an invitation to Bowie "through his people" to come out and see one of the HTDA shows. Bowie declined. I'm not sure Trent had even seen Bowie in years, or even been that close to him towards the end. Who knows.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm sure nothing you're saying is relevant to their relationship. When and if Trent says anything we'll know what they/he wants us to know.

i wouldn't be surprised if David guests the new NIN material, but that's just extreme wishful thinking.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Big time...Bowie knew a ton of musicians casually ...TR was one of them..they werent best friends or "close friends" by any means...TR has probably had more conversations with Manson the past 15 years than with Bowie....

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    He adored Bowie as a paternal figure and an artist. I'm not sure the degree to which Reznor admired Bowie can be overstated.

"Bowie is the most important figure to have inspired me."

https://www.instagram.com/p/cePKCwTPWn/
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...nor-nin-666371
    http://www.mojo4music.com/4547/trent...nder-his-wing/
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ction-20130809
    Last edited by emptydesk; 01-13-2016 at 09:27 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 12:16 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Trent Reznor on "I'm Afraid Of Americans".
    Trent didn't co-write that with Bowie. He just remixed it. Granted, the remix became more popular than the original album version due to the music video, but...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 12:17 PM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    And the song is most likely coming from late Outside sessions, because Eno and because the early version of it was used in Showgirls two years prior to Earthling.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    It's hard to say what the Reznor/Bowie relationship was but there were not that many artists that co wrote music with David Bowie, that the joint effort ended up on a Bowie record. The only other artist I can think of is John Lennon on "Fame" and Trent Reznor on "I'm Afraid Of Americans". Trent also toured with Bowie.
    even if you were right about Reznor writing IAOA, which as was pointed out, you're not, this sentence is nonsense - Bowie worked with a ton of artists on every single record. Nile Rodgers, Brian Eno, Robert Fripp are the prominent ones that come to mind off the top of my head, and that's ignoring the tons of less-known artists who played and wrote with Bowie. Bowie's music was composed with bands -- he didn't write or play all or even most things on the records, but was the auteur who tied it all together.

More keep coming to my head; Bowie co-wrote with people all the time. Iggy. Queen(!)...

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Trent didn't co-write that with Bowie. He just remixed it. Granted, the remix became more popular than the original album version due to the music video, but...
    I don't know, I also find the remix to be superior. While the original has a tendency to drag on a bit aimlessly to me, the remix is more straightforward and its progression more interesting. And, given the sound of Bowie and Eno's work on that one, Reznor was a perfect fit to add another layer of production on top of it.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 12:17 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    China Girl- co written with Iggy Pop first appeared on the Idiot album by Iggy Pop, later appeared on Let's Dance
    Under Pressure- co written with Queen was on the Hot Space it didn't first appear on a Bowie album until Best Of Bowie

My original statement said artist that co wrote music that appeared on a bowie record. I see Nile Rodgers and Brian Eno more in the role of producer and many artists write with their producer.
    that is totally playing games with semantics.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    China Girl- co written with Iggy Pop first appeared on the Idiot album by Iggy Pop, later appeared on Let's Dance
    Under Pressure- co written with Queen was on the Hot Space it didn't first appear on a Bowie album until Best Of Bowie

My original statement said artist that co wrote music that appeared on a bowie record. I see Nile Rodgers and Brian Eno more in the role of producer and many artists write with their producer.
    China Girl is an Iggy Pop song, co-written with Bowie, that Bowie then covered. Much like NIN with Suck

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    The very fact of co-writing (or lack thereof) is also dubious at times. It's a well-known fact that Nile Rodgers wrote the trademark "chinese" riff in China Girl (which isn't on Pop version). I strongly suspect he would get a co-writing credit if the song wasn't already copyrited.