Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast

Thread: The Heavy Thread. Deathcore, Black Metal, Metalcore and all things HEAVY

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Sanguisugabogg signed to Century Media. New album, Tortured Whole, is out in March. Love these dudes

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Full album out Friday. Album is so fucking good.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Last two albums were some of their best. I really enjoy the current lineup. I hope they make another banger.

I guess this explains why the Hallow’s Eve livestream was delayed.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

TETRARCH finally announced their new album, and the new single hits just as hard as I'm Not Right. Out of all the Nu-Metal revival bands coming out, this band sounds possibly the most authentic. Both of these singles would have been absolutely H U G E in like 2000/2001.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

New Wode album out 2 April. This one has some serious Moonspell vibes. (They have a new one out soon too...)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Just give me this new Amenra album already, sigh.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

black metal. Kinda Deafheaven-y, but doesn't stray as much from black metal as they do. Track is awesome.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    soooooooo the new Architects is...not good. The sound you got on the singles is the sound of the record. Going for that accessible BMTH sound at times, going for that newer accessible Parkway Drive sound at other times. Winston from PWD guests on a track even (Impermanence), which actually isn't terrible. Not much on there that resembles the typical Architects sound that anyone here enjoys...only this song really:

And here's what is probably the worst song on the record (although Meteor is right there too). The chorus isn't bad, but my god the beats & vocals during the verses...egads!!!

I like the usage of the string sections that pop up here & there. Dead Butterflies is good song regardless of straying from the Architects formula. It grew on me:

I think it may be more that this is not what anyone wants from Architects. This isn't a bad record, it just should be coming out from someone else. Kinda bummed. The reaction seems pretty negative overall, so if we ever have shows again, I honestly hope people stay home in large enough numbers that the boys take the hint. I also worry that without Tom we won't ever get back to the sound & songwriting that made Architects so killer...

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    COPS AFRAID TO CROSS THAT THIN BLUE LINE

WILL ALWAYS BE AN ENEMY OF MINE

in your face, resolute, political/black struggle Boston hardcore. EP came out yesterday & it gooooeeeesss.

https://move-bhc.bandcamp.com/album/freedom-dreams

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Architects hasn't put out a truly good album since Lost Forever / Lost Together.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    New Zao track "Croatoan".

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Enjoying the new EP from Drumcorps:

https://drumcorps.bandcamp.com/album/better-days

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    New Zao track "Croatoan".
    I keep listening to this on repeat. the riff at 2:40 kills me.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

First High Command track on that EP especially goes.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Definitely unappreciated in their time.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Cult Classic still rips.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Also, and could be in the Dead Souls thread, but sadly Entombed AD vocalist LG Petrov passed away from bile duct cancer.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    soooooooo the new Architects is...not good.
    I never listened to Architects prior to this album drop. I actually, shamelessly, like it. Animals and Impermanence are awesome to me from this. Might venture back into the catalog if this is “bad” like you claim.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I never listened to Architects prior to this album drop.
    Probably has a lot to do with it.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    It's a hilariously bad record, considering (most of) the rest of their catalog.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    No doubt this is not good. I’m gonna go listen to Hollow Crown to get the taste out. Yeesh.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    It's a hilariously bad record, considering (most of) the rest of their catalog.
    Is it THAT awful?

I did a sample of older tunes a bit ago. I get the tonal shift but I have no real relationship to this band to long for yesteryear for it. I get it though.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 03-12-2021 at 10:08 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Is it THAT awful?

I did a sample of older tunes a bit ago. I get the tonal shift but I have no real relationship to this band to long for yesteryear for it. I get it though.
    Compared to (most of) the rest of their catalog? Yes. I think so anyway.

For the record, Architects was one of my favorite bands ever. I've seen them 6 times but likely won't again given their refusal to play anything prior to Lost Forever // Lost Together live now.

Holy Hell was mostly the same recycled, generic brand of formulaic metalcore they started on Lost Forever//Lost Together and "perfected" on All Our Gods Have Abandoned Us. Outside of "Nihilist" (opening track on AOGHAU), I never listen to those records because they're so generic and boring. They're on full autopilot here.

Lost Forever // Lost Together is a great record on its own but was the start of their downfall from creative, technical, genre-pushing musical efforts into what ultimately became safe, easy, generic dadcore. The lyrical themes started to get contrived and repetitive here as well. But the first three tracks are fantastic and the production is immaculate. "Castles in the Sky" is a fucking banger as well.

Daybreaker is their peak as far as I'm concerned. It has some of the post-hardcore elements experimented with on The Here And Now and some of the brutal heaviness of Hollow Crown with fantastic lyrics/messages and comes together into a whole that much greater than the sum of its parts. They've got great guest spots from Drew York (Stray from the Path) and Oli Sykes and each song feels unique and its own individual thing while also being part of something much larger; the album's NIN-esque in that regard. This is my favorite album of theirs and top 3 favorite metalcore album ever. "Unbeliever" is one of my absolute favorite songs from both a musical and lyrical standpoint. The whole album is about the class divisions that are getting more and more prominent each passing day and the underlying message is that we're all in this together and are better together. "Unbeliever" removes all of the metaphors and gets straight to the point, ending the album on a semi-hopeful note.

The Here And Now is shunned by the band and a large portion of the fan base entirely and I think it's incredibly stupid. It was a huge departure from the sound of Hollow Crown and is an outlier in their catalog due to it being straight-up post-hardcore but it's still a fantastic album and is tied for my second-favorite of theirs. "Day In, Day Out" is a fantastic opener and every song on this album is catchy and able to be sung along to. "Year In, Year Out" to close is one of their best songs and the guest spot from Greg Puciato really elevates it.

Hollow Crown is what LF//LT, AOGHAU, and HH were all trying to be/recapture but none did imo (though, LF//LT came very close). Heavy and aggressive with great technical guitar work on display in between tons of catchy hooks. It's a little unrefined and unpolished around the edges but the message is great and the energy is insane. Tied for second-favorite with THAN.

And we don't talk about Nightmares.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    Compared to (most of) the rest of their catalog? Yes. I think so anyway.

For the record, Architects was one of my favorite bands ever. I've seen them 6 times but likely won't again given their refusal to play anything prior to Lost Forever // Lost Together live now.

Holy Hell was mostly the same recycled, generic brand of formulaic metalcore they started on Lost Forever//Lost Together and "perfected" on All Our Gods Have Abandoned Us. Outside of "Nihilist" (opening track on AOGHAU), I never listen to those records because they're so generic and boring. They're on full autopilot here.

Lost Forever // Lost Together is a great record on its own but was the start of their downfall from creative, technical, genre-pushing musical efforts into what ultimately became safe, easy, generic dadcore. The lyrical themes started to get contrived and repetitive here as well. But the first three tracks are fantastic and the production is immaculate. "Castles in the Sky" is a fucking banger as well.

Daybreaker is their peak as far as I'm concerned. It has some of the post-hardcore elements experimented with on The Here And Now and some of the brutal heaviness of Hollow Crown with fantastic lyrics/messages and comes together into a whole that much greater than the sum of its parts. They've got great guest spots from Drew York (Stray from the Path) and Oli Sykes and each song feels unique and its own individual thing while also being part of something much larger; the album's NIN-esque in that regard. This is my favorite album of theirs and top 3 favorite metalcore album ever. "Unbeliever" is one of my absolute favorite songs from both a musical and lyrical standpoint. The whole album is about the class divisions that are getting more and more prominent each passing day and the underlying message is that we're all in this together and are better together. "Unbeliever" removes all of the metaphors and gets straight to the point, ending the album on a semi-hopeful note.

The Here And Now is shunned by the band and a large portion of the fan base entirely and I think it's incredibly stupid. It was a huge departure from the sound of Hollow Crown and is an outlier in their catalog due to it being straight-up post-hardcore but it's still a fantastic album and is tied for my second-favorite of theirs. "Day In, Day Out" is a fantastic opener and every song on this album is catchy and able to be sung along to. "Year In, Year Out" to close is one of their best songs and the guest spot from Greg Puciato really elevates it.

Hollow Crown is what LF//LT, AOGHAU, and HH were all trying to be/recapture but none did imo (though, LF//LT came very close). Heavy and aggressive with great technical guitar work on display in between tons of catchy hooks. It's a little unrefined and unpolished around the edges but the message is great and the energy is insane. Tied for second-favorite with THAN.

And we don't talk about Nightmares.
    Thank you for the good summary! I got into Holy Hell 2 years ago. I think it's great, but I'm a dad now, so dadcore may be right up my alley. ;-)

Their discography is quite big, so I wouldn't know where to start when digging deeper. I bought Daybreaker when I found a Nice Price CD at the local shop, but couldn't get into it yet. Maybe I should give it another chance...

I really liked Animals, though the chorus is giving me modern BMTH vibes. That's not a bad thing though and they didn't go full pop either.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I have never heard of Architects before until "Animals" came up in YouTube playlist I had going on. I listened to the new album, I kinda like one or two other songs - but his voice just gets to me at times. I dig "Animals" for sure.