Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: The Heavy Thread. Deathcore, Black Metal, Metalcore and all things HEAVY

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yeah watched it when it went up a few weeks back, such a good set.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

This crushed my skull

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Song will always completely rip. I also never want to hear Lars attempt it live ever again. Dude sucks so hard. They just put out a well shot and mixed pro-shoot of Spit Out The Bone (best song from the last album imo), and everyone is on point in it except that yutz. Completely butchers the drums, especially his "fills", throughout:

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post

Song will always completely rip. I also never want to hear Lars attempt it live ever again. Dude sucks so hard. They just put out a well shot and mixed pro-shoot of Spit Out The Bone (best song from the last album imo), and everyone is on point in it except that yutz. Completely butchers the drums, especially his "fills", throughout:

That was the show here, how neat. I didn't go since I'm not super into them really and the tickets were overpriced.

As for Lars I think he's a horrible drummer and was never really talented on drum work. He's mediocre and has been outplayed for years by far more talented people.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I never dug into this band earlier because....?

NSFW

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Anaal if fucking killer. If you ever have a chance to see them live, do it. A few years ago I was lucky enough to catch them at a dive bar in Chicago and it's one of the best shows I've seen.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Holy shit, the new Norma Jean single, "Children of the Dead" is insane.
    https://open.spotify.com/track/0Ihig...T9aUpt3tPpUPcw

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    Holy shit, the new Norma Jean single, "Children of the Dead" is insane.
    https://open.spotify.com/track/0Ihig...T9aUpt3tPpUPcw

I like it, but I understand why they left it off of Polar Similar.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Author & Punisher has the coolest setup I've seen in a while.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    Author & Punisher has the coolest setup I've seen in a while.
    have you seen him play live? it's fucking amazing to watch. the fact that his backing tracks are minimal (if even used, in certain songs) and that he's doing most (if not all) of that shit live with stuff he built is so fucking cool. and yeah, i realize it's just midi triggers, but it's still incredible.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    have you seen him play live? it's fucking amazing to watch. the fact that his backing tracks are minimal (if even used, in certain songs) and that he's doing most (if not all) of that shit live with stuff he built is so fucking cool. and yeah, i realize it's just midi triggers, but it's still incredible.
    I have not seen him live in person, only videos, but I’d love to.
    Last edited by otnavuskire; 01-15-2019 at 05:01 AM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I have just seen Behemoth live and while before that you had to drag me to Black and Death Metal shows, this one was special! I couldn't care less about Wolves in the Throne Room who were boring me to bits and At The Gates, who played a solid set, but did nothing for me. But if you have the chance or are unsure if you should go and see this tour: do it! The drama and the built up are pretty amazing and the posing is kept to an enjoyable minimum imho. Straight and to the point show with nice props and a good climax. The end dragged a little bit, yet I left with a big smile.

While most of these bands are to be taken with a grain of salt, many have me worried, and I still don't really know what to think about Nergal after many years... on the other hand Behemoth's show I consider champions league of what I have seen over the years in that department.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    I have just seen Behemoth live and while before that you had to drag me to Black and Death Metal shows
    Go check out the Behemoth thread.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    I couldn't care less about Wolves in the Throne Room who were boring me to bits...
    aw, that's too bad! i love those guys and thought they put on a great show when i saw them with myrkur, khemmis, and enslaved last year. my only issue was how long of a gap they had in between songs with the same pulsing low-frequencies each time. but when they were playing, they were excellent.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Really enjoying Malevolent Creation's new one The 13th Beast.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Gives off some Broken/Closure vibes. Cool behind the scenes + concert video montage.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post

Gives off some Broken/Closure vibes. Cool behind the scenes + concert video montage.
    I dig it, however this band is evolving into something vastly different than they were prior. I have no complaints though!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Judiciary: Surface Noise is out today and it's solid. Not a lot of variation nor anything new/ground-breaking but for fans of Knocked Loose, Vein, Terror, etc, it's worth a listen. Bryan Garris makes a welcome guest spot on the fourth track.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The new Carnal Forge album is out today and is great in my opinion. Worth checking out for sure if you liked there stuff back in the day.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I guess you can't really call them heavy anymore but for old time's sake, the new Bring Me The Horizon is out and even listening to the 320kbps stream from Spotify, this album sounds incredible (if you have a decent DAC and set of headphones). There is SO MUCH going on in each track. "Heavy Metal" is probably my favorite track on the album and as someone in r/Metalcore pointed out, it's an @ to the entire sub. Great song and hilarious to boot.
    Last edited by klyrish; 01-25-2019 at 01:39 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    I guess you can't really call them heavy anymore but for old time's sake, the new Bring Me The Horizon is out and even listening to the 320kbps stream from Spotify, this album sounds incredible (if you have a decent DAC and set of headphones). There is SO MUCH going on in each track. "Heavy Metal" is probably my favorite track on the album and as someone in r/Metalcore pointed out, it's an @ to the end sub. Great song and hilarious to boot.
    The lyrics are pretty entertaining and, of course, I dug the end.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    The lyrics are pretty entertaining and, of course, I dug the end.
    Hahaha I wish that would've gone on just a little bit longer but it was still a nice "fuck you" and throw back to the old days that are never returning. I've listened to the album three times and really dig it. It's different and EDM-heavy but there are some really good tracks. "Wonderful Life (feat. Dani Filth)" is another great one.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Amo is pretty remarkable, but maybe also reveals that Bring me the Horizon is going to be stuck in an asymmetrical competition with their younger selves forever. The relative heaviness of the record's songs are still a major point in the discourse around the band, even among younger fans. I mean, shit... it is pretty easy to talk about that vs. the various musical worlds they're compositing together now and how they make it work. Interesting, if not too surprising, that so many people that want to chat/message/whatever at length about the band right now have a preference for their older stuff, and not so much what's fresh. Explicitly acknowledging their musical shift on Heavy Metal maybe just deepens the problem, like giving that issue a peg to hang it's coat on, they've given oxygen to the thing and written into the text of their work. And it is a problem cause I think other good stuff is happening here.

The songwriting here is really fucking sharp, and a touch more clever than they are often credited for, Sykes lyrics remain the weak point though. Anyway - this stuff is musical in a way their peers often are not. I've long thought they were one of the few among the pop-metalcore set that could actually do pop, instead of just suggest or gesture towards it. They also have got their aesthetic hooks in me, very few people are blending contemporary top-40 "tropes" with any kind of distorted guitar material, and they make this union seem obvious1. And yeah, that synth line that opens i apologise if you feel something - and the thus the record - does kinda sort of sound like Arca.

Still probably not a record that's gonna work much for anybody not already bought in at least a little to the world they are from, but we'll see, for whatever it's worth.

1 I mean from some point of views it is obvious - like arguably crassly obvious - but who's actually doing this work?
    Last edited by Alabaster Creature; 12-03-2022 at 01:55 AM. Reason: really minor excisions, probably under -20 characters

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    The only BMTH album I enjoyed was Suicide Season and its remix version.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    Yes.