Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The Heavy Thread. Deathcore, Black Metal, Metalcore and all things HEAVY

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    That new fleshgod apocalypse album is delicious.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Burial Hex anyone?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I was never an After the Burial fan, but the new album is pretty good. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's an entertaining listen.

http://www.theprp.com/2016/02/17/new...lbum-dig-deep/

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    An epic crossover of Pallbearer and Intronaut. Sounds like the Cave In album Antenna without the suck.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Been exploring a lot of black metal lately. I'll take any recommendations!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Not full on black metal, but check out Gilded Lily's album Mongrel's Light.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Iceland.

Misþyrming
    Unortheta
    Mgła

are a good start.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Cradle of Shit!! lol, I kid I kid.

Check out 1349:

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    Cradle of Shit!! lol, I kid I kid.

Check out 1349:
    LOL nahhhh. Even though I've been listening to them I know they don't count usually. I've been into Behemoth, Satyricon, Septicflesh, Immortal, Anorexia Nervosa and a few others I've been digging around with on Spotify. I know they're not black but I've gotten the discography for Napalm Death recently. <3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Okay. I've been away for a while (and this post is three weeks old) but:

Enslaved - Below The Lights

Ulver - Nattens Madrigal (only their first and third albums are BM, but NM is my favorite BM album)

Wolves In The Throne Room - Black Cascade (the end of "Crystal Ammunition" is one of the most beautiful moments in BM)
    https://wolvesinthethroneroom.bandca.../black-cascade

Drudkh - Eternal Turn Of The Wheel
    https://drudkh.bandcamp.com/album/et...n-of-the-wheel

Agalloch - Pale Folklore (I'd actually recommend Ashes Against The Grain to new people, but PF is their most BM-ish album)

Darkthrone - Under A Funeral Moon (the black metal album)

Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss (say what you will about Varg himself, but...)

Mayhem - Out From The Dark

Negura Bunget - OM

Bathory - self-titled debut (the first of its kind)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    anyone heard Mizmor? my friend put their (well, HIS, since it's a one-man band) 2016 album Yodh on his "top album art of the year" list so i checked it out. pretty amazing that it's just one guy doing everything. he's basically me with more talent hahahaha.

https://mizmor.bandcamp.com/album/yodh

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    anyone heard Mizmor? my friend put their (well, HIS, since it's a one-man band) 2016 album Yodh on his "top album art of the year" list so i checked it out. pretty amazing that it's just one guy doing everything. he's basically me with more talent hahahaha.

No but that's pretty good!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Fucking love that record. Abysmal, ruined. Cathartic earthquakes. Beksinski cover art. I'm in!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Top (heavy/ extreme/ doom/ death/ industrial/ black/ death/ depressive-suicidal/ ambient) metal picks for 2016

Scar Sighted by LEVIATHAN (released 11/2015 but whtvr it's amazing)

Collapse of Existence by IMPERCEPTUM (1/2016)
    https://imperceptum.bandcamp.com/alb...e-of-existence

End of Mirrors by ALARIC (5/2016)
    https://alaric.bandcamp.com/album/end-of-mirrors

Landless by EIGHT BELLS (2/2016)
    https://eightbells.bandcamp.com/

Revisions of the Past Pts I & II by PANOPTICON (7/2016)
    https://thetruepanopticon.bandcamp.c...t-of-mortality
    https://thetruepanopticon.bandcamp.c...al-disservices

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I've been rummaging through opinions and links and recommendations and I'm finding cool stuff.

Anyone here a fan of the "stereotypical" black metal bands? I've been delving and enjoying some that I've been exploring. To name a few are Watain (love it), Marduk, Dark Funeral and Emperor.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Anyone here a fan of the "stereotypical" black metal bands?
    Yes.

I tend to stick to the more depressive side of metal but I'm into Emperor and Watain, Inquisition, and canon like Bathory, Mayhem and (shh) Burzum.

I must admit that it's been a while since the more traditional black metal has held my attention. Lurker of Chalice and Darkspace are 2 of my favorites, and they are depressive suicidal bm.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i wrote and recorded the beginnings of a funeral doom metal song that other day. was really surprised i managed to play the drums for the blast section (i mean, i had to run through them four times because the first three times i got off tempo a little). it's a fun new direction for me to take my music and i'm hoping to do more. also hoping my wife gets back into her cello and/or my friend alexis will be willing to add some violin. debating on whether to leave it instrumental or not.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    i wrote and recorded the beginnings of a funeral doom metal song that other day. was really surprised i managed to play the drums for the blast section (i mean, i had to run through them four times because the first three times i got off tempo a little). it's a fun new direction for me to take my music and i'm hoping to do more. also hoping my wife gets back into her cello and/or my friend alexis will be willing to add some violin. debating on whether to leave it instrumental or not.
    Better not say shit like that and don't expect to post or share any demos

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninEater View Post
    Yes.

I tend to stick to the more depressive side of metal but I'm into Emperor and Watain, Inquisition, and canon like Bathory, Mayhem and (shh) Burzum.

I must admit that it's been a while since the more traditional black metal has held my attention. Lurker of Chalice and Darkspace are 2 of my favorites, and they are depressive suicidal bm.
    Burzum's Filosofem is a great album.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Better not say shit like that and don't expect to post or share any demos
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/njxxxl7kow6dwcg/Gold.mp3?dl=0

right now it's just (un-EQ'd) baritone guitars and (semi-EQ'd) drums. i need a heavier sound for the drums in general, the snare needs to be way more clear during the blast section, and i need a different kind of reverb (and a fuck ton more of it). i want it to sound like i'm playing in a god damn cavern haha.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    @eversonpoe - If you ever feel like you want noise/bient layers for that stuff, shoot me a line. Hell, I might do it anyway for fun.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    @eversonpoe - If you ever feel like you want noise/bient layers for that stuff, shoot me a line. Hell, I might do it anyway for fun.
    thanks, dude! i was trying to decide if i wanted to add anything like that. i do a lot of drone stuff but i wasn't sure if that'd be right for it.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    thanks, dude! i was trying to decide if i wanted to add anything like that. i do a lot of drone stuff but i wasn't sure if that'd be right for it.
    Cool. It's not always the right fit, of course. I think there's room for it here in specific ways but it's your vision of the thing that matters.

I love the clean melody, which is super Lycus but just enough Stephen Carpenter to me, and the changeup about halfway through is my favourite part. Intuitive, like doom should be – hard changes are part of the DNA (Symphonaire Infernus et Spera Imperium comes to mind), but ultimately show amateurism, or ill consideration (not enough time cooking in the pot). You avoid this entirely because it 'feels right' (subjective) when this does happen. Awesome.

I can definitely hear the big cavern brewing already.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I liked what I heard!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    album's almost done.

four songs, forty minutes. the last track is probably the most epic thing i've ever had a hand in creating.

probably not going to have violin or cello because there's so many vocal parts that it's unnecessary at this point.

i'll let you guys know when it's out.

meanwhile, you can now check out all my older stuff on spotify, etc. if you search for Everson Poe! /shameless plug

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Recently downloaded the discography for Ghost Bath. They're along the lines of Deafheaven (and I consider them kind of a ripoff of Deafheaven's brilliant formula). Pretty good. New album dropping soon.

@eversonpoe you might dig it

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Recently downloaded the discography for Ghost Bath. They're along the lines of Deafheaven (and I consider them kind of a ripoff of Deafheaven's brilliant formula). Pretty good. New album dropping soon.

@eversonpoe you might dig it
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, lol. To be fair, I really enjoy Moonlover and their previous album and EP aren't bad. I'm looking forward to their new album.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    currently working on and bouncing out final mixes of the four songs for my upcoming album so that it can get mastered this week. that one i showed you guys a while ago? that was just the tip of the iceberg. ended up with four pieces totaling just over forty minutes, and i'm very, very pleased with how they sound. i told my mastering engineer that "i want it to sound like it's in a cave...but one with a lot of clarity that's really fucking loud" and he perfectly understood what i meant so i'm really looking forward to hearing what he does.

i'll let y'all know when it's released!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    saw Oathbreaker last night (Jaye Jayle opened, they were even better live, followed by Khemmis, who were fun) and they played very well, but i was wearing earplugs and i felt very disconnected from the music. i don't like the idea of having to choose between saving my hearing and actually experiencing a concert i go to see. it was weird and a little disappointing. still glad i went, though. caro is mesmerizing to watch on stage, even more so than, say, chelsea wolfe. wish i could have seen what the drummer was doing but i was too far back. oh, and they played almost the entirety of Rheia and nothing else, which was interesting but absolutely fine, as i adore that album.

and then i almost got run over by a fucking uber driver crossing the street, who LAUGHED AT ME -_-

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I'm gonna have to miss Oathbreaker's show in NYC this Saturday night. Have a thing I can't skip instead. Really sucks b/c next time they come around it will for sure be at a bigger venue. They are the hot up & coming "underground" heavy act at the moment.

As far as your plugs, do you wear the nice, custom ones? In that case, yeah you're stuck. But what I find works well is a good, not-too-thick, pair of generic one that u can have some leeway with. Generally I just keep them barely covering my ear canal, only twisted a tiny bit into the canal. It'll cut out the most extreme noise that will leave your ears ringing after the show, but still keeps me fully involved in the show.