Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Heavy Thread. Deathcore, Black Metal, Metalcore and all things HEAVY

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    i listened to "heavy" music when i was young because i thought i was supposed to, you know? to be hardcore.

My tastes changed as i got older though.

But i still fucking love Pantera-spending my formative years in DFW did that.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I like listening to heavy music because hail satan.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I classify heavy differently from everyone else.
    To me heaviness ranges from lyrical content,lasting appeal/relevance of the work, the music itself and the feeling I get when I listen to the music.

To me the two most heaviest albums I've listened to that fits those criteria are from Strapping Young Lad.
    The Albums Alien and the New Black are albums I keep coming back to when I want something heavy.
    Just listen to these last 3 songs from The New Black:

Obviously I'm biased but to me those albums are what work for me. There are many albums and bands that fit the Heavy classification like The Black Dahlia, Catch 33 from Meshuggah, Dillinger escape plan etc.

Edit: I should also mention that the first proper "Heavy" album I listened to that introduced me to other bands was Fear Factory's Demanufacture. A classic album in it's own right, it opened the doors to other heavier and just as heavy bands like Testament, The Big Four, Overkill (Which is one of the hardest working metal bands in this day and is extremely underrated), Old School Sepultura (Arise being my favorite album from them), Death, and many more.
    Last edited by ziltoid; 12-19-2015 at 10:52 AM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I listen to mostly hard hitting music. But in my definition of heavy and brutal have changed. The emotion of the song has to be there for me. Without it its just a waste of a riff. It's why I can't really get behind most new comers into the genre. They get low tuned and think fretting the first fret on a palm.mute is heavy. It's not.

For example, I think the last heavy song to come out is behemoth's "messe noire". That song bleeds emotion and makes the music feel so horrid and beautifully heavy.

I tend to stick with things I listened to in my youth, and a few newcomers. But these days musicianship and song writing matters more to me than just throwing in 100 riffs in a song just to show how big your dick is.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    I like listening to heavy music because hail satan.
    Hail santa

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ziltoid View Post
    I classify heavy differently from everyone else.
    To me heaviness ranges from lyrical content,lasting appeal/relevance of the work, the music itself and the feeling I get when I listen to the music.

To me the two most heaviest albums I've listened to that fits those criteria are from Strapping Young Lad.
    The Albums Alien and the New Black are albums I keep coming back to when I want something heavy.
    No City? Really? Its anger is so much more unbridled. As insane as "Shitstorm" gets, it's not "Oh My Fucking God." Y'know? City is the ultimate expression of SYL.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This and Dark Matters are probably the closest post-SYL Devin will get to doing another SYL (though Addicted isn't very far from The New Black territory).

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    City is one of the greatest metal records of all time

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    CJ left Thy Art Is Murder and that fucking blows.
    But if you want to buy his stage worn jacket here's a link.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121846265006?ul_noapp=true

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Lately my taste in heavy music has veered towards the atmospheric/proggy side of metal. I've been religously listening to Alcest's Les Voyages De L'Âme as of late, and those Dillinger Escape Plan vinyl reissues have been more than welcome in my collection.

I've also been listening to a fuckload of Baroness lately.. although I can't say the Purple record has left it's mark yet, Blue + Red are perfect!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasisity View Post
    Lately my taste in heavy music has veered towards the atmospheric/proggy side of metal. I've been religously listening to Alcest's Les Voyages De L'Âme as of late, and those Dillinger Escape Plan vinyl reissues have been more than welcome in my collection.

I've also been listening to a fuckload of Baroness lately.. although I can't say the Purple record has left it's mark yet, Blue + Red are perfect!
    haven't checked out baroness yet but i've been told i'd like them.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    haven't checked out baroness yet but i've been told i'd like them.
    i really want to love their new album (purple), but the mastering is so unbelievably bad i just cant get into it. it blows my mind that bands allow these releases. one of the great things about metal records is the wall of sound a good band can create, when it gets lost in the mud it destroys everything. so disappointing.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I honestly don't get the Baroness love. Every time I hear one of their songs or albums, all I can think is, "Mastodon just made this record a couple years ago, and they did it better." Why would I want to listen to an inferior version of Mastodon?

The new Intronaut record, THAT'S how you entice me with the Mastodon sound – take it further than they did on Crack the Skye.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    What about, like, terrifying music?
    Nurse With Wound isn't exactly HEAVY, but it's pretty disturbing, for instance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    I honestly don't get the Baroness love. Every time I hear one of their songs or albums, all I can think is, "Mastodon just made this record a couple years ago, and they did it better." Why would I want to listen to an inferior version of Mastodon?
    Red Album, anyone? Blue Record is probably the best, but I prefer Red.
    https://baroness.bandcamp.com/album/red-album

Blue is similar to Red, but the vocals appear more prominently. Yellow & Green is comparatively more poppy. Currently listening to Purple (the new one) for the first time. Feels like a hybrid of Blue and Yellow. The first track could definitely pass for a Mastodon song if you replace Baizley with Troy Sanders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Mastodon hasn't written a song as good as "If I Have To Wake Up" on Purple in years upon years, in fact their last truly flawless album was Leviathan and their last great album was Blood Mountain, everything after is hit or miss.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post

The new Intronaut record, THAT'S how you entice me with the Mastodon sound – take it further than they did on Crack the Skye.
    dude, thank you for the recommendation. i downloaded the new intronaut album and it is AWESOME. i wish my dad wasn't so averse to screaming because he would really love the music.

and after i listened to that, i put on purple by baroness and wasn't that impressed. you're right, it sounds a little too much like mastodon. and yeah, the weirdly overblown, lo-fi(?) sound of the record was really distracting.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    What about, like, terrifying music?
    Nurse With Wound isn't exactly HEAVY, but it's pretty disturbing, for instance.
    http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...92-scary-songs

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    dude, thank you for the recommendation. i downloaded the new intronaut album and it is AWESOME. i wish my dad wasn't so averse to screaming because he would really love the music.

and after i listened to that, i put on purple by baroness and wasn't that impressed. you're right, it sounds a little too much like mastodon. and yeah, the weirdly overblown, lo-fi(?) sound of the record was really distracting.
    Fucking gold, eh? Produced and mixed by Devin goddamn Townsend. I didn't think they could top Void, then they made Valley of Smoke. Didn't think they could top VOS, now this. Great band, about to tour with The Ocean. That'd be an amazing show.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    throbbing gristlebbing Gristle - Hamburger Lady

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    First great release I've heard this year: Chasms by Lycus

Other solid releases I've heard so far in 2016:

Jotunn by Witchhelm

In Ruin by Cauldron

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrselfdestruct94 View Post
    First great release I've heard this year: Chasms by Lycus
    Absolutely. A serious beast of a record.

Also, this belongs here (crossposted from the Boris thread):

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    really don't know how to feel about this stuff with Phil. We've all known about it for a long time, but there really hasn't been anything new or public to bring it up for discussion in years. So maybe alot of fans, like me, thought that he moved on from this bullshit. I've seen Down a few times, watched some interviews with him, and it seemed like he matured and loosened up a ton over the years. So I thought he probably dropped the low-key racist shit too. Apparently not.

This is the big one from 1995:

I'll post two more videos as evidence in following posts.

and I have my own anecdote. He pulled that Seig Heil gesture shit when I saw Superjoint Ritual at Ozzfest 2004. He was really hammered like he was the other night apparently. so maybe it just comes out when he's drunk and can't control himself? When he did it with SJR in '04, he didn't say anything to accompany it, but it was clear what the gesture was, and me & my buddy both looked at each other in shock. We couldn't believe he had done that on stage in such a big venue at a mainstream festival show like that. We're both hardcore kids, so maybe coming out of that scene we noticed it more, b/c it didn't seem like anyone caught it or cared. It was crazy either way. Couple that with the fact that we all know Pantera had a huge crowd of white power dudes as fans, and you can see that the band dabbled with this their whole time, and Phil never swore off it.

As for now, I'm glad he got called out from everyone, and maybe I'm a sucker b/c I love most of his projects, but I accept his apology. It certainly seemed sincere, and coupling that with how he seems to have softened after Dime was murdered, and I can't stay mad. This just blows man.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Then there's this interview where his noncommittal answers and his fucking CARNIVORE t-shirt make it clear where he stands if you're smart:

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    this materialized for me the other day while perusing theprp.com comments:

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Gorod and Beyond Creation are playing here next month and I absolutely can't believe it. So now I have to go. Y'know, to find out if it's real!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I need to spend some time in this thread as I've recently fallen in love with the heavier sounds. I thought I missed the boat since I didn't like it as an angsty teen, haha, but what do ya know!

An old friend introduced me to Author & Punisher, and this video is hilarious!

Edit. I'm going through some Brazilian metal bands on youtube and I have to say, I wish more of them sang in Portuguese as opposed to English.
    Last edited by halloween; 02-16-2016 at 08:52 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halloween View Post
    I need to spend some time in this thread as I've recently fallen in love with the heavier sounds. I thought I missed the boat since I didn't like it as an angsty teen, haha, but what do ya know!

An old friend introduced me to Author & Punisher, and this video is hilarious!

Edit. I'm going through some Brazilian metal bands on youtube and I have to say, I wish more of them sang in Portuguese as opposed to English.
    i've found that, as i've gotten older, i've started MAKING less loud/heavy music, but i've started LISTENING to way more of it (stuff that would have literally scared me as a teenager, even though i was making stuff that was kind of terrifying).

also, my friend knows author & punisher which is pretty cool.