Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Cargo in the blood

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I don't see Ghosts I-IV Ultra-DE and Cargo In The Blood as comparable really. They happen to have the same price, but one is a NIN release and one is a book of art by Russell Mills. The NIN association definitely attracts the larger NIN audience who might be fans of Mills or the work, but I don't think many people will buy it solely because of its association with NIN (at least, I don't think that's the main audience).

How many sales to similar books of art* sell anyway?

(* And what's the proper name for this sort of release? I don't want to say "art book" because that's a different thing in my mind.)
    Last edited by m15a; 12-22-2015 at 10:27 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    I don't see Ghosts I-IV Ultra-DE and Cargo In The Blood as comparable really. They happen to have the same price, but one is a NIN release and one is a book of art by Russell Mills. The NIN association definitely attracts the larger NIN audience who might be fans of Mills or the work, but I don't think many people will buy it solely because of its association with NIN (at least, I don't think that's the main audience).

How many sales to similar books of art* sell anyway?

(* And what's the proper name for this sort of release? I don't want to say "art book" because that's a different thing in my mind.)
    Every time I go to an art gallery and think I might like something and look at the prices, they make this book/ art combo seem very nicely priced. Art is very expensive. I still can't afford it at the moment though!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    A mixed media companion piece to the HM art creative process?
    I meant the type of book in general - books that document some visual art works with photos. I figure there has to be a name for that, but I don't know it.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    A week in and this item is still for sale. It took Ghosts what...2 days to sell out? Wonder how long it's going to take to finish out the stock.
    Personally I wish there was a cheaper, 50-70 dollar version of it without the special limited piece and maybe smaller selection of pieces or something, just, you know, something the average fan who doesn't go around tossing 300 dollars at everything like it's some Tool shirt-quilt thing, but regardless, it's a far more niche item and I'm sure they knew that ahead of time, hence the limited nature of it anyway. How many people for almost any band wants to buy an art book of stuff made for an album? Probably not a high percentage of listeners. It's a cool, self-funded passion project in a way that just gives art fans or really diehard NIN fans a way of appreciating this work and getting something special along with it that makes it more interesting than a typical art book. I just wish I could afford one and not feel ridiculously irresponsible buying it.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    If there was a $65 abridged book only version I'd have bought it day one.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'd love to get this, but just too expensive for my current predicament.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So does the fact that I bought one without a second thought mean I'm a bigger NIN fan than most of the other people here?

These things being important in my life and all..
    Sure

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    So does the fact that I bought one without a second thought mean I'm a bigger NIN fan than most of the other people here?

I believe it means you have a more disposable income than many other people here

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    @ethan829 gets post of the year for that lmao

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I would get this, but the first $300 I get to spend frivolously on myself will go to a girl with the dragon tattoo deluxe boxset!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Getting quoted $371 USD to ship to Australia!!!! There has to be a better way???

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

I would have done the same thing if I had a constant income. I do freelance photography, so while this week I made a few hundred, next week I might only make one.
    I am in love with his work, and having it accompany NIN makes it even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_NIИ_77 View Post
    Getting quoted $371 USD to ship to Australia!!!! There has to be a better way???
    Buy it, ship it to my house, and I'll ship it to you for whatever normal-ass postage to Australia is for 11lbs.
    Last edited by sick among the pure; 12-24-2015 at 03:40 PM. Reason: double-quote all the way across the sky

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    In a perfect world, it'd be awesome if everyone here on the board could make a purchase. Hopefully they won't sell out for awhile and that will eventually be the case.
    That's what I'm hoping for, honestly. But now that we know new NIN AND "something else" is happening this year, I'm going to wait a little longer to buy this until I can afford it AND whatever Trent gives us this coming year. Last thing I need to is buy this just in time for $300 DE super amazing Fragile box and Fragility 2.0 orchestral tour dates and Tension 5 blu-ray with Wave Goodbye bonus disk box set and...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    ...Last thing I need to is buy this just in time for $300 DE super amazing Fragile box and Fragility 2.0 orchestral tour dates and Tension 5 blu-ray with Wave Goodbye bonus disk box set and...
    Wow that would be way cooler than the art book. It looks excellent and I loved the interview with the artist where he explains his inspiration and the term "hesitation marks" but it would just sit on my shelf gathering dust. Much rather put the $300 towards more NIN music/videos, etc. (especially the Fragile).

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chloe View Post
    Wow that would be way cooler than the art book. It looks excellent and I loved the interview with the artist where he explains his inspiration and the term "hesitation marks" but it would just sit on my shelf gathering dust. Much rather put the $300 towards more NIN music/videos, etc. (especially the Fragile).
    It's really just a pipe dream right now, we don't know what all will come out, and how intricate the packaging will be or what extras there would be or even what kinds of tiered releases it would come in. While I know a lot of us would love a multi-disc every single piece of everything that came out in that era plus unreleased stuff plus the instrumentals plus demos plus promo arts plus videos plus interviews plus commentary plus extended AATCHB plus... etc, it could also just be The Fragile in 5.1 re-released on CD Vinyl and Digital seperately.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Buy it, ship it to my house, and I'll ship it to you for whatever normal-ass postage to Australia is for 11lbs.
    Priority Mail International for 11lbs to Australia is $70.08(online discount price!). I don't think you can ship a package of that weight First Class.
    Last edited by hippygeek; 12-27-2015 at 06:06 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hippygeek View Post
    Priority Mail International for 11lbs to Australia is $70.08(online discount price!). I don't think you can ship a package of that weight First Class.
    Naw, first class is 13oz. and under. Giving an estimation for dimensions (I put in 17x17x4, with packaging it's probably more, idk) I was seeing USPS estimating $117 for shipping from me to Australia. And that's just the 11lbs for the book, idk how much the entire package would really weigh.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Naw, first class is 13oz. and under. Giving an estimation for dimensions (I put in 17x17x4, with packaging it's probably more, idk) I was seeing USPS estimating $117 for shipping from me to Australia. And that's just the 11lbs for the book, idk how much the entire package would really weigh.
    I'm not sure what the GWTDT box weighs but it's reasonably heavy and cost $54 to ship when purchased through Null.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Man, I can't fucking wait to get this in the mail. Does anyone have an estimate as to when we'll be receiving here in the US?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_NIИ_77 View Post
    I'm not sure what the GWTDT box weighs but it's reasonably heavy and cost $54 to ship when purchased through Null.
    I completely estimated box size, and just went off the 11lbs the website states it is (don't know if that's book only weight, though). Actual prices: who knows? Just wanted to throw that out there.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Sooo it's the last day of the year. December 31st. Super-late December. I'm guessing these will ship today?
    I would like to point out that it doesn't say December 2015.......

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    So you're telling me this is supposed to mean December 2016, 2017, etc.?
    I was trying to make a joke. :-)

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    The reason any company says "shipping on X date" is that they don't have to give a release date or delivery date. So, when it's delayed, there's no technical late delivery.

The fact they didn't sell out probably delayed it I reckon, as I'm sure part of the revenue of the book was to pay for its production.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There's a video on instagram from about a week or so ago of the production team cauterizing the front of the packaging, so they have already been produced. Ordered mine today. Can't wait!

EDIT: Also, this whole package has been in the works for over a year, not to mention the final piece of the whole thing (the original painting) was all done in October, so i'm fairly certain it wouldn't be announced or put up to order if nothing was finished and ready to go.
    Last edited by IndyJ; 12-31-2015 at 09:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hopefully the book for The Downward Spiral artwork happens, too. IMOI, the packaging for this is beautifully designed and i would love a matching set with all TDS artwork as well. I can't imagine why it wouldn't since the other 2,000 pieces were cut down and supposedly set aside possibly for that, but we all know how that kind of thing goes around here.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    So did cargo in the blood ship? Or was all that just a crazy dream?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyJ View Post
    There's a video on instagram from about a week or so ago of the production team cauterizing the front of the packaging, so they have already been produced. Ordered mine today. Can't wait!

EDIT: Also, this whole package has been in the works for over a year, not to mention the final piece of the whole thing (the original painting) was all done in October, so i'm fairly certain it wouldn't be announced or put up to order if nothing was finished and ready to go.
    Can anyone link to that video please?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadeout54321 View Post
    Damn that looks great!
    Fuck it, after going to the UK site and finding its £250 with free shipping, I just ordered one
    Last edited by WorzelG; 01-01-2016 at 08:41 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    It'll arrive and give your house a smell of burning. The subtle scent will never go away until you hide the book. Years later your great-grandchildren decide to rebuild the place and they find the thing... Lovecraftian scenario.