Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: San Bernardino Shooting

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

San Bernardino Shooting

This thread was long overdue for a bump.Topic split from another thread

Mass shooting in progress in San Bernardino. ABC reports 12 dead. 3 potential shooters. White males in military style uniforms.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Not possible, CA has some of the best gun control in the country!

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Not possible, CA has some of the best gun control in the country!
    Yeah but it's still part of that same country that has the same mentality from West to East.
    I'm way past the "gun control" argument. These shootings will continue occurring on a weekly/monthly basis and there's simply nothing you guys can do about it.

That's just what happens in the United States of America. So just sit back and put up with it.

I'm going back to my maple syrup and hockey.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Yeah but it's still part of that same country that has the same mentality from West to East.
    I'm way past the "gun control" argument. These shootings will continue occurring on a weekly/monthly basis and there's simply nothing you guys can do about it.

That's just what happens in the United States of America. So just sit back and put up with it.

Seriously. Get used to endless arguments on the internet that'll never solve anything, and the next one of these to hit y'all within a few weeks.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I don't think there's a realistic solution to this problem.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post

Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Seriously. Get used to endless arguments on the internet that'll never solve anything, and the next one of these to hit y'all within a few weeks.
    Well, exactly. The solution to this kind of thing isn't gun control. Until the political rhetoric moves away from that, we are stuck with this kind of thing. The fact that most gun control proposals in response to shootings is along the lines of something CA is already doing pretty much speaks for itself.

I don't see the rhetoric changing anytime soon. We are on this endless loop of "debating" whether killing someone is good or bad, it's just rephrased under different "major topics" (war, police violence, refugees, terrorism, etc). Throw in the ridiculous candidates we now have running and it's pretty clear we are not on a path to fixing this.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R-Dot-Yung View Post
    I don't think there's a realistic solution to this problem.
    Certainly not within gun control. There are other areas that could have an impact, but the rampage shooting incident rate is so fringe that it would be very hard to make a change. At least non gun control implementations would have huge benefits outside of just rampage shootings.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Seriously. Get used to endless arguments on the internet that'll never solve anything, and the next one of these to hit y'all within a few weeks hours.
    I fixed that.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    So it looks like all three suspects were able to leave in a black SUV.

There are now reports of shots being fired at a Target store 10 miles away from the original location.
    http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/shot...gional-center/

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    for fuck's sake... we don't even know anything about the shooters at this point. Leaping up to stress that gun-control isn't the solution is about as helpful at this point as insinuating that gun control would have prevented it. We don't even know what the fuck is going on right now.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    3 shooters in a black SUV makes me think it might be a mob hit.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    3 shooters in a black SUV makes me think it might be a mob hit.
    I don't understand... I mean, the multiple shooters aspect does make it unlikely that this is an attack motivated by sheer insanity... but a mob hit? Wouldn't that seem more likely if the target was specific? It seems like this was intended to just do damage.

Do we know what the event was that was being held today?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm not saying definitively what I think it is, but considering the details I and everyone else know about it, it sounds more strategic than just a guy randomly shooting up shit.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    well... that's certainly true.

I just heard a report that 20 people are confirmed dead.

EDIT: Holy shit... That's it, I want to punch this person. Really?

Last edited by Jinsai; 12-02-2015 at 04:40 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    for fuck's sake... we don't even know anything about the shooters at this point. Leaping up to stress that gun-control isn't the solution is about as helpful at this point as insinuating that gun control would have prevented it. We don't even know what the fuck is going on right now.
    this is the GUN thread. What is the point of posting this in the GUN thread if not to talk about the GUN aspect of the story? There is a lot more to the story than guns, but that makes it better for general headlines.

It's like posting this story in a car thread because they used a car to get away and then asking why people are talking about their use of a car.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

EDIT: Holy shit... That's it, I want to punch this person. Really?

I take it you haven't read the comment section of the EODM interview of last week. All of the band members are actors and the shooting at the Bataclan never happened because why isn't there any footage of it, man! All those people with cell phones! Total hoax... Freemason, Devil Worshipers and fucking Cthulhu man!

'Tis the season of the crazies...

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    this is the GUN thread. What is the point of posting this in the GUN thread if not to talk about the GUN aspect of the story? There is a lot more to the story than guns, but that makes it better for general headlines.

It's like posting this story in a car thread because they used a car to get away and then asking why people are talking about their use of a car.
    I'll wait until we know SOMETHING about what just happened before speculating how it could have been prevented. By all means, you're welcome to go into "guns are not the problem" mode. I mean, it's not exactly helpful or surprising. "Hey, there's been a shooting, I wonder what DigitalChaos has to say about it... Oh how shocking, he's smugly implying that gun reform isn't the solution. No way."

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Do we know what the event was that was being held today?
    It's a building that houses an organization that helps people with developmental disabilities like autism. Seriously, wtf. I don't get it.

The majority of the casualties took place in one area of the "massive" facility that employs several hundred people, Burguan said. A lunch meeting was going on involving state and county employees as well as a number of organizations, he added.

The San Bernardino County Department of Public Health was having a banquet in the conference area where the shooting happened, according to the CEO of the facility where the shooting took place.
    Here's the organization's Facebook page.

CNN says it was a Holiday party.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-02-2015 at 05:13 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 12-02-2015 at 05:27 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    god.... this is so horrible.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    god.... this is so horrible.
    unreal. my husband just got in from work and asked if i had seen the news.
    i truly do not understand how humans can do things like this to other humans.
    it is almost numbing at this point.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    "If we could own guns, like in the USA, we could defend ourselves from terror attacks!!!" - some autistic people on my fbook feed after the Paris attacks. Yeah, no.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The FBI isn't ruling out terrorist motives since there were multiple shooters and they all escaped from the facility.

One shooter is dead, one has been captured, one escaped. Highly planned, highly equipped. They were wearing masks.

14 people dead so far.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-02-2015 at 06:23 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    The FBI isn't ruling out terrorist motives since there were multiple shooters and they all escaped from the facility.

One shooter is dead, one has been captured, one escaped. There may be one more that was driving the SUV, too. Highly planned, highly equipped.

14 people dead so far.
    Like the Planned Parenthood shooting, this one is unlikely to fit the legal definition of terrorism. It's the same reason Dylan Roof was unable to be charged with terrorism.
    https://theintercept.com/2015/12/02/...act-of-terror/

She seems to be the only one to have covered this delineation. It's interesting.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Like the Planned Parenthood shooting, this one is unlikely to fit the legal definition of terrorism. It's the same reason Dylan Roof was unable to be charged with terrorism.
    https://theintercept.com/2015/12/02/...act-of-terror/

She seems to be the only one to have covered this delineation. It's interesting.
    The authorities have not yet released info if these guys have accents or anything like that. This is HIGHLY unusual as far as mass shootings go, with multiple shooters with AK-47s, wearing armor and black and masks.

14 dead, 17 injured.

CNN has experts on saying they have probably fingerprinted the dead guy and are running his prints. Retired CIA guy says reports are saying the guys were carrying IEDs.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-02-2015 at 06:34 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    The authorities have not yet released info if these guys have accents or anything like that. This is HIGHLY unusual as far as mass shootings go, with multiple shooters with AK-47s, wearing armor and black and masks.

14 dead, 17 injured.
    Right, but just guns and no "wmd" means it's not legally terrorism. Definitely check that article. I have a lot of respect for the author and her ability to dig into things. I've worked with her in the past for... other stuff.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Right, but just guns and no "wmd" means it's not legally terrorism. Definitely check that article. I have a lot of respect for the author and her ability to dig into things. I've worked with her in the past for... other stuff.
    It is waaaay too early for us to be assuming that that this is "just another shooting in the U.S."

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    We gotta see if they are white or brown before we can say for sure.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Okay now they're saying the guns were AR-15s and they were throwing pipe bombs out the SUV at the cops.

Waiting forever for this press conference, but they're still going door-to-door looking for missing shooter.