Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: RIP David Bowie

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

RIP David Bowie

Don't know what to say.

I wonder if Trent knew he had cancer?

"David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18 month battle with cancer. While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family’s privacy during their time of grief."
    Last edited by Ryan; 01-11-2016 at 01:14 AM.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    no... fuck this. NO.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    First Lemmy dies at 70 just after some gigs of cancer. Now Bowie at 69 just after releasing a record.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    First Lemmy dies at 70 just after some gigs of cancer. Now Bowie at 69 just after releasing a record.
    This is the biggest musical loss since Michael Jackson easy. This is a big one...a big one.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Terrible news.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    This is the biggest musical loss since Michael Jackson easy. This is a big one...a big one.
    Absolutely. Those videos from Blackstar are so much more haunting now.

Awaiting Trent's statement.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    From his son: https://twitter.com/ManMadeMoon/stat...41083648212992

This just killed me. Nothing is bigger than this... fuck you cancer. Thank you David.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Watching the Lazarus video is extremely harrowing right now.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Oh my dear god.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DF118 View Post
    I was only thinking when I saw that video premiere the other day that he looked frail, especially when you saw the back of his hand up close.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Well wtf what a news to wake up to. Just a shock. RIP

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DF118 View Post
    First line of the song too - "look up here, I'm in heaven".

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

Goodbye dear sir, you're my absolute all time hero. Thank you for everything you've done for us all.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Well goddamnit.

My grandma died yesterday, too. The only reason I got online for a minute was because we've had router troubles the last few days, we fixed it yesterday, and I needed to figure out travel arrangements to be here for the funeral. Even so, I was actually excited to finally be online at a real computer for a minute.

And then this.

What a shitty fucking day.

:'(

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Unhappy

What? What...?

I was in a shop this morning when I overheard from the radio something "health since 2006", I was afraid it was something about Bowie, but then thought it is probably nothing... and I have forgotten about that, now loading ETS and seeing "RIP", shock, no no no no no... :-( RIP David, thank you. Can not believe this, I have to work but now this will be hard.
    Last edited by Substance242; 01-11-2016 at 03:17 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    NO FUCKING WAY!!!!

This really upsets me. This makes no sense. The man just released Black Star and celebrated his birthday. Most musicians deaths I can handle and accept but this one really baffles me and is EXTREMELY random. Gah. This sucks.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    in utter shock!! can't stop thinking about it!
    extremely sad day!

i had hoped we'd see him in Twin Peaks!!
    Last edited by [parasite]; 01-11-2016 at 04:20 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    "If you're sad today, just remember the world is over 4 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie." (Simon Pegg)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    This brings another sad layer to Michael C. Hall's performance of Lazarus.
    Michael survived and returned.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    He was the hero of all my heroes. He was a hero to me and to so many more. As rare as they come. As talented as it gets. There will never be another David Bowie. I'm still just in such shock at this. If anyone ever felt like they'd always be around somehow, it was him. I can't remember a single time in my life where his music didn't permeate it in some way. What a great loss of a beautiful, multi-talented, by all accounts authentic human being who brought a lot of light and a lot of love into this world. Anyone who has enjoyed music from the past forty years likely has something to thank him for. More than just some celebrity, he's been an icon, an anchor point, a familiar face and familiar voice to so many of us across decades and generations. I know there's no one of his era whose death could impact me more, and few of any others whose might equal it.

I know we don't know these people and the attachment thing can be creepy or weird or invasive, but this guy was just such a natural part of life. I definitely hope Trent and he were able to have some sort of closure and parting, just as a human being, knowing the friendship and influence they had on one another. This is going to be a rough one to recover from, wow. I'm still just in disbelief. Never before have I wanted a headline to be a lie like this one.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Saw the news but read comments saying it was a hoax. Held out hope until his son confirmed it. Along with TR, Bowie has been a huge figure in my life for as long as I have been into music. It's going to be fucking weird not having him around, doesn't feel real at all.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Not the kinda news you want to wake up to. RIP David Bowie.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Bugger.

I'll be in Brixton tonight, then.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I wake up and David Bowie is dead.

There's a lot of talk on the internet about how silly it is to get upset at celebrity deaths. To an extent, I agree. I think it depends on how valuable that person is to who you are. David Bowie was very important to me and a huge influence on many of the people and things I enjoy. I'm openly sad at this news. I wish I wasn't at work right now.

I loved David Bowie. Even at a young age, I was hearing his music and enjoying his work as The Goblin King in Labyrinth, a movie I still hold dear to this day and let's not forget his crazy awesome cameo in Twin Peaks-Fire Walk With Me.

I'm glad we got one last album from him and I regret that I never got to see him on tour.

Goodbye, thank you for the positive impact on my life and rest in peace.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    There's a lot of talk on the internet about how silly it is to get upset at celebrity deaths.
    Seriously, fuck those holier-than-thou, better than the herd and oh-so deep obnoxious tits. Whenever there is a collective reaction to an event, you have those pretentious twats commenting from the sidelines, like a bunch of insecure sarcastic teen goths still convinced that being cynical is cool.
    Get off my emotional lawn, and go vape yourselves.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    So kind that he released new material. Seriously, as privately as he died, probably wanted that privacy, he still thought of his art and those who appreciated it.

Condolences to his fam and friends.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    From Steven Wilson's Facebook

It felt very surreal to wake up this morning into a world that no longer has David Bowie in it. I can't imagine there is any rock or pop musician on earth that hasn't been influenced by Bowie, either directly or indirectly, and I'm no exception.One of the first records I was given as a child as a birthday gift was the 1973 reissue of his novelty song "The Laughing Gnome", and as a 6 year old I loved it, and I probably still would if I heard it again now (even though that single was lost to me decades ago, I can still vividly remember the yellow Deram label and that the B-side was "The Gospel According to Tony Day"). Then a few years later one of the first singles I bought with my own pocket money was "Beauty and the Beast" from his 1977 album "Heroes", unaware at the time that the song also had the fingerprints of 2 more of my future heroes all over it, Fripp and Eno.
    I spent this morning listening to Bowie's fantastic (and as it turns out final) new album Blackstar, and compiling my own personal playlist of his songs, which I want to play before the shows on my forthcoming tour. So many brilliant ones to chose from, what an extraordinary catalogue. And what an extraordinary artist. Rest in Peace.
    And Jordan Rudess'

So shocked and sad to wake up and hear of David Bowie's passing. This picture was taken after finishing up the recording sessions for the album Heathen in upstate NY. I'll never forget his classic voice in my headphones spontaneously breaking into "Ground Control to Major Tom" while tracking a piano and vocal. Before we recorded each track, David would weave together these amazing verbal journeys to get in the right frame of mind for the particular tune. I'm glad I got to work with him. He was a unique character on earth and he will be missed.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 01-11-2016 at 08:53 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Well goddamnit.

My grandma died yesterday, too. The only reason I got online for a minute was because we've had router troubles the last few days, we fixed it yesterday, and I needed to figure out travel arrangements to be here for the funeral. Even so, I was actually excited to finally be online at a real computer for a minute.

And then this.

What a shitty fucking day.

:'(
    My "like" here was really meant to be a "here man, I feel you, hugs"

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 12:14 PM.