Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Westworld (HBO miniseries)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Second episode was even better, so goood.

But Hopkins' character's plan is a big no no. Can't wait to see what happens when that is introduced.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    i'm with you guys on this one.
    We all 3 love it here at my house.
    Can't wait for episode 3.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Episode 3 was great. The scenes with Luke Hemsworth and Shannon Woodward are funny as they're cool to watch while I also enjoyed that story about Arnold and the young Sir Anthony Hopkins. I like seeing James Marsden do something meaty while Evan once again killed as I also love anything she does with Jeffrey Wright.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Show is moving along nicely. I have some confusion about the park.

Is every one a 1 day cycle where they get rebooted everything? When Ed Harris kidnaps Gamblor it's night time, but then when we see them in the desert it is day time. Why wasn't this bot taken and rebooted?

What happens to the guests at the end of each day... do they just have to stop everything they are doing and head to the exit? Do they ride the train back everything night and then again in the morning?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Is every one a 1 day cycle where they get rebooted everything? When Ed Harris kidnaps Gamblor it's night time, but then when we see them in the desert it is day time. Why wasn't this bot taken and rebooted?

It seems that most of the hosts are on 1 day cycles where the guests can choose to be involved in their "quests". If the guest is finished with a certain hosts route, and there's nothing more for the hosts to do storyline-wise, they'll repeat the cycle. However, since guests dictate the world, they can likely delay the cycle. I'm guessing that the staff move around hosts depending on whats needed to keep the daily storylines from running into problems. Ex: If a guest has kidnapped a host, the staff will program another host to take the others place within the storyline (the same way they replaced Dolorace's father.)

What happens to the guests at the end of each day... do they just have to stop everything they are doing and head to the exit? Do they ride the train back everything night and then again in the morning?

The guests likely stay in a designated hotel, or wherever they want to stay (the whorehouse above the saloon, camp out in the wilderness, etc.) Seems like taking them in and out of the park each day would ruin the immersive element of Westworld.

As for the hosts, I assume they are only taken out of their environment if they're in need of maintenance or for diagnostic purposes. A team likely picks them up from Westworld, puts them in sleep mode, and takes them outside Westworld. After maintenance is complete, they take them back into the park and take them out of sleep mode. If maintenance isn't needed the hosts probably have a command of "wake up, perform set tasks, go to sleep, repeat".
    Last edited by Presideo; 10-17-2016 at 09:34 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Yes, I think each narrative has a single-day loop. If no guests change it, it has a beginning, middle and end; this is why Dolores keeps ending up with dead parents and assaulted/killed in the shed (which is depicted both with black hat guests and without). She's then reset the next morning to get up, talk to dad and go to Sweetwater to drop the can.

Guests who stay longer than 1 day remain totally immersed. They don't leave at night; they find a place to sleep in the park. I don't recall this being shown directly in the show yet, but there are a lot of answers through the ARG sites that point to consistent experience for as long as you're paying, with a maximum at 31 days iirc. Afterward, you 'decompress' at the Mesa Gold area on top of the headquarters.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Holy shit. That was really fucking good. I don't like Ben Barnes as an actor but fuck, he is good in making me hate his character for being such a prick. Evan's performance as Dolores is awesome as I hope she gets some fucking Emmys and such as she is just getting better. I'm also liking Thandie Newton's arc while Ed Harris continues to be fucking cool.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    This show is just so good. And it keeps getting better with each episode. I was never really a huge fan of Evan Rachel Wood, her terrible role in True Blood, a show I strongly dislike, sticks out in my mind. But damn is she stellar in this. She definitely deserves recognition, an award or two.
    Last edited by neorev; 10-23-2016 at 09:50 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    This show is just so good. And it keeps getting better with each episode. I was never really a huge fan of Evan Rachel Wood, her terrible role in True Blood, a show I strongly dislike, sticks out in my mind. But damn is she stellar in this. She definitely deserves recognition, an award or two.
    I thought her character in True Blood was a total waste and beneath her brilliance. That show was going off the fucking rails right towards the fucking end as it became unwatchable. This show, I hope doesn't fall into that same fate.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I always have a soft spot for her b/c the first thing I saw her in was Thirteen. So impressive for her to pull off that performance at the age of 15/16.

After tonight's episode I'm even more confused than before, and that's ok.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    A little SICNH in tonight's episode.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofgod View Post
    A little SICNH in tonight's episode.
    I KNOW!!!! It took me a bit to figure out what it was and then.... I jizzed. Wow, what a way to use that song.... that made tonight's episode even more incredible as I just love the scenes with Evan and Jimmi Simpson as they have some excellent chemistry while I also like the stuff involving Thandie Newton and that tech guy, Elsie, and the meeting between Dr. Ford and the Man in Black. Best episode of the series so far....

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I about lost my shit the second I heard SICNH. So perfect.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I'm sure one of you guys knows if that is a previously constructed cover or was it made for the show?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I'm sure one of you guys knows if that is a previously constructed cover or was it made for the show?
    Sounds like a re-recorded version of
    Last edited by Presideo; 11-01-2016 at 05:05 AM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Holy shit! I never thought James Marsden had it in him to play a character that was dark. I'm impressed. He and Ed Harris make a good combo while Thandie Newton owned this fucking episode. 2 Radiohead songs for the price of one in this episode in "Fake Plastic Trees" and "Motion Picture Soundtrack". Great fucking episode. I hope Elsie is OK.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    More people need to be discussing this show.

It's so dense and nuanced, I have no idea what's going on. My view of the characters and what's actually happening changes after each episode.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Damn good show. Some thoughts...

- How much does Ford know about the maze? He created the Wyatt character who seems to have something to do with entering but seemed surprised to see the symbol marked on the table in that town.

- Why didn't Felix and Sylvester just turn down Maeve's intelligence settings?

- Internet seems to think that the guy in the photo of Ford and Arnold looks much like Ford's robot dad.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    How much does Ford know about the maze? He created the Wyatt character who seems to have something to do with entering but seemed surprised to see the symbol marked on the table in that town.
    I interpreted his reaction to indicate that the symbol wasn't supposed to be there, which would indicate one of the hosts carved it.

Why didn't Felix and Sylvester just turn down Maeve's intelligence settings?
    Because she had already threatened Sylvester directly. If she were dumber, she'd attack in blind rage. And they shortly discovered she was already altered by someone with higher privileges who'd get them in shit anyway.

Internet seems to think that the guy in the photo of Ford and Arnold looks much like Ford's robot dad.
    Yeah, they're absolutely the same actor. So it's pretty fucky right now. I'm sure this is related to whatever amazing revelation is being hyped for episode 7.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    I'm sure this is related to whatever amazing revelation is being hyped for episode 7.
    Arnold is really Trump?!?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Fuck me... what?!?!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Seriously... what... the... fuck?!?!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Seriously... what... the... fuck?!?!
    I know!!!!! What the fucking fuck?!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I know!!!!! What the fucking fuck?!!!!!!!
    My heart cracked a bit with that reveal.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I actually saw that coming... Also a lot of the plot of Futureworld is starting to set it...

For instance, I'm sure she gets replaced by a robot version in the next episode

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    In today's completely unsurprising news, HBO just officially renewed it for Season 2.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    As I think about it more it's probably true that, based on the whole replacement Theresa thing, that Dolores, Maive, and Bernard are replacements for real people as well.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I'm sure she gets replaced by a robot version in the next episode
    I betting on the same. Amazing reveal despite all those internet theories that I can't stop reading. When Bernard said "what door?" that was heart breaking.

I wonder that the whole "the hosts do not see certain things" means in regards to the scene with Dolores, Billy, and Lanzo on the train. One second it's the three of them and then it is only Dolores alone. Did she cease to see them or does it suggest that this adventure is a loop of hers, and she's been there alone before.

I'm not totally sold on the Maeve storyline. It's hard to completely believe that she is able to wield that much power over Felix and Sylvester. They could easily report her, have her lobotomised and that would be the end of it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I betting on the same. Amazing reveal despite all those internet theories that I can't stop reading. When Bernard said "what door?" that was heart breaking.

I wonder that the whole "the hosts do not see certain things" means in regards to the scene with Dolores, Billy, and Lanzo on the train. One second it's the three of them and then it is only Dolores alone. Did she cease to see them or does it suggest that this adventure is a loop of hers, and she's been there alone before.

I'm not totally sold on the Maeve storyline. It's hard to completely believe that she is able to wield that much power over Felix and Sylvester. They could easily report her, have her lobotomised and that would be the end of it.
    It would be the end of them too, if they report her it'll be a red flag and their bosses will see all the dodgy shit they've been doing.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I'm not good at predicting much in shows like this and even I thought there was a good chance Bernard was a robot. What really clued me in was I believe in the last episode when someone said that "he'd been in the park forever" or something similar.

Still though....THIS SHOWLMKVFLKMVDLKMVDS;LKMDS;LMKDSV;LM KDSV;LM K