Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you or don't you like Everything?

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Do you or don't you like Everything?

Personally I really like it. Interested to see what people think of it now after time has passed.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I do, and I want that video. I've begged Shynola but they said no

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    It's the Starfuckers of Hesitation Mark. Startlingly out of character for the album, wayyy unexpected coming from Reznor.
    As a track, it references musical tropes I don't appreciate when they're genuine already, and other than that I don't find it particularly special. It's well done, I get what the idea is, I just find it too obvious, or not enough. It floats in a sort of limbo where it tries to be tongue-in-cheek/ironic, but is still too close to the original style from which it takes cues to even be taken seriously as such. It either doesn't embrace its reference enough, or reveres it too much.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    I dig it. There are maybe three or four tracks I'm not overly fond of on that album, but Everything isn't one of them. Happyish punk NIN works somehow.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I love it. Far from my favourite Nine Inch Nails track, but it has a certain charm as well as being just a damn good pop song. I guess it might have fit better on With Teeth or The Slip (musically not lyrically) but I quite like the way it's smack in the middle of Hesitation Marks contrasting nicely against Disappointed and Satellite. It's a nice little peak of positivity. I can understand why some people might not be into it, and that's fine, but surely it's not as bad as Starfuckers?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    No, horse has been beaten to death so don't even need to get into the "why".

And... Starfuckers >>>>>>>>> Everything

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I wasn't comparing the respective merits of the tracks but rather how they equally stand out in the middle of the album in my opinion.

Pitting such controversial tracks against each other would really be an exercise in debate sterility, and anyway we're in a highly subjective thread already. Asking which track is better than the other would go into full-on circlejerk instantaneously.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Personally I really like it. Interested to see what people think of it now after time has passed.
    Still love it. Trent's no Randy Newman, but the slightest positivity of the intro and outro really bring out some extra contrast against the brutally dark bridge ("this thing that lives inside of me will surely rise and wake").

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Actually love this song, hated it at the first listen, sounded to upbeat for me but now I love it, can't help but bop around to it haha

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Re: ...after time has passed.

Still very fresh for me. Trying to estimate how many times i listened the whole album, i think 20-25. A lot yet to discover and to learn all the words.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I don't think people would have taken against it so much if it wasn't one of the first things we heard from the album, making people worried it was representative of the rest maybe? I can't remember if we'd heard Copy of a or Find my Way by then

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Good song but I need to be in the right kinda mood to listen to it.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I liked it the first time i heard it. i love the ending....it has a shoegaze sound
    i literally could not understand the reaction at all.
    it was better than Came Back Haunted..

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I like it! It's not like towards the top for me, but it's a good song. I don't skip it or anything.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I have an OLD ipod, like second or third generation, 4 gig i think...anyways it doesnt hold much so i only put ESSENTIAL tracks on it. And to add something new i have to take something off. Stupid way to live but i make it work. "Everything" is on it. (Seems like most of the songs on my ipod have been touched by either Alan Moulder or Dave Ogilvie)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Hated it at first. Grew on me over time. I like it now! I think I like the album version better than the remix too.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    greatest song he has ever written. complete fucking masterpiece. makes songs like 'somewhat damaged' and 'i do not want this' look like amateur hour.....probably his artistic highpoint

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    greatest song he has ever written. complete fucking masterpiece. makes songs like 'somewhat damaged' and 'i do not want this' look like amateur hour.....probably his artistic highpoint

Aaaaaaand now it's broken, thanks a lot...

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I definitely like Everything. Everything has been one of my most favorite songs from Hesitation Marks ever since it leaked. I'd even go as far to admit that I almost like Everything as much as Copy Of A.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I don’t like Everything. Also, I don’t dislike Everything. I’m not sure where this leaves me. I feel it important to mention the following likes. I like puppies. I like rainbows. I like unicorns. I like Carlton.

Just play the song live already.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I like it a lot. I don't think it's as poppy or upbeat as the naysayers want to believe it is. I love the sarcasm and denial beneath it, and I think the ending is kind of beautiful. I know everyone hates the remix too, but I've grown to enjoy it as well (yes, even the crazy pitch shifting).

But, hey, haters gonna hate, amirite?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    It grew on me. I would like to see the video.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I don't think people would have taken against it so much if it wasn't one of the first things we heard from the album, making people worried it was representative of the rest maybe? I can't remember if we'd heard Copy of a or Find my Way by then

I think that has a lot to do with it too actually.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I think the people who think it's a happy song are the same people who think Born in the USA is patriotic

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I quite like it

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Release the video!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I like it a lot. I don't think it's as poppy or upbeat as the naysayers want to believe it is. I love the sarcasm and denial beneath it, and I think the ending is kind of beautiful. I know everyone hates the remix too, but I've grown to enjoy it as well (yes, even the crazy pitch shifting).

But, hey, haters gonna hate, amirite?
    Yeah, there is honestly nothing wrong with the song. Unfortunately though, it didn’t help the songs cause that even Trent seemed to distance himself from it following the initial public backlash.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Threw me for a loop the first time, but I enjoy it a great deal nowadays.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    If Clouser was to be believed Starfuckers was essentially a song he brought to Reznor. Makes sense as it was a song that could have been sold to any number of similar high production acts of the time. Might have been a reworked, retempo'd Zombie demo. It's not out of the realm of possibility that the post TDS farm team of producers had as much to do with THE FRAGILE's production as Trent. There's a distinctive soundscape vibe gone from when Hillebrandt was "engineering" that TR spent years trying to catch up with. See the USEFUL NOISE CDs.

"Everything" is a perfectly fine New Order-style punt fake. TR was signaling to other artists that he can do that type of production.

I think pretending that "Everything" is sarcastic is grasping at straws.
    Last edited by emptydesk; 08-12-2015 at 09:51 PM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Meh. I can take it or leave it.