Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Do you or don't you like Everything?

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Its the "Club America" of the NIN discography......Cure fans will get the refererence

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post

If this is correct, he didn’t sound all that proud, more like aggravated by the reception. But it still would have been interesting to hear a live production of it just once, even if just a rehearsal on a bootleg. I really can’t imagine where or how Lisa and Sharlotte would have fit in on Everything.
    You can hear part of the live version if you track down the sort of Behind the Scenes / backstage before the tour video leading up to the HM tour. It's buried in there during a segment, and it's clearly no tthe album version. sounded good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post

If this is correct, he didn’t sound all that proud, more like aggravated by the reception. But it still would have been interesting to hear a live production of it just once, even if just a rehearsal on a bootleg. I really can’t imagine where or how Lisa and Sharlotte would have fit in on Everything.
    You can hear part of the live version during the Behind the Scenes / backstage before the tour video leading up to the HM tour.

HERE:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    i think everything is one of the weakest songs tr has ever written, and i really don't understand the joy division reference he's trying to make

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I pretty much liked all of Hesitation Marks when I first heard it and over the first few listens. Over time, the formulaic structure of the songs has made me reach for the album less than others, but for that exact same reason, Everything has become one of my favorite songs from it. Like most of the songs on the new EP's, Everything is unusual and challenging rather than just playing it safe.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    it's very belew sounding which is very sometimes an issue for some fans I personal a fan of Adrian Belew's both his solo work work with NIN and crimson
    -Louie

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hologram parade View Post
    i think everything is one of the weakest songs tr has ever written, and i really don't understand the joy division reference he's trying to make
    Listen to this and it might make more sense:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Nah... Disorder is a good song and works on the album, but Everything really isn’t and ruins HMs flow for me on almost every listen. It takes me out of the listening experience. To my knowledge Everything was written specifically for the greatest hits comp that’s presumably still coming out down the road and it shows. I own, and listen to JD records so it’s not that I don’t know what they sound like

*i should’ve just posted in controversial opinions thread

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I quite enjoy Everything and it should have been a single. Yeah, shoot me. It's a catchy song and would have done well on radio. I don't get the hate for it. It's one of the better tracks on HM. I know, weird, right?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Nah... Disorder is a good song and works on the album, but Everything really isn’t and ruins HMs flow for me on almost every listen. It takes me out of the listening experience. To my knowledge Everything was written specifically for the greatest hits comp that’s presumably still coming out down the road and it shows. I own, and listen to JD records so it’s not that I don’t know what they sound like

*i should’ve just posted in controversial opinions thread
    But do you feel the same way about Satellite? Because BOTH of those were the first two songs written for (as you pointed out) what was initially intended to be new songs tacked onto a greatest hits album. BUT the session led to an entire album instead. It's not like they made those two songs, took a break for a year and then wrote the rest of the album. From what I understand, the creative juices just kept flowing and they wrote all of the songs during the same sessions. Everything and Satellite just happen to be the first two that were written and then the aim shifted from Greatest Hits to new album.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Everything is perfect on the album, imho, after it plays I feel like the album lightly changes. With the songs that came before it being hits, the album then shifts into slightly more experimental, less catchy and I think this is where the album gets better.

I can totally see the Joy Division comparison, but more from the album "Closer" rather than "Unknown Pleasures", stuff like "Isolation" where you have pretty upbeat dancy tune set to utterly depressing lyrics. It isn't exactly like that of course, but I can see the comparison.
    Last edited by HWB; 09-28-2017 at 05:38 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    But do you feel the same way about Satellite? Because BOTH of those were the first two songs written for (as you pointed out) what was initially intended to be new songs tacked onto a greatest hits album. BUT the session led to an entire album instead. It's not like they made those two songs, took a break for a year and then wrote the rest of the album. From what I understand, the creative juices just kept flowing and they wrote all of the songs during the same sessions. Everything and Satellite just happen to be the first two that were written and then the aim shifted from Greatest Hits to new album.
    Like I wrote above I should’ve just posted in controversial options thread - people here just want to dissect your posts and argue if you don’t like something and it’s pretty meh

I dig Satellite (especially live - I think I saw the debut), but I think it’s overall a much stronger track than Everything is, even though it could feel like a YZ leftover it still fits with the rest of HM better than Everything imo

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    wait, are you saying that both "everything" and "she's gone away" rank near the bottom of the NIN catalog for you?
    Of the non-remix/instrumentall albums, yes. Without generating a full list it’s fair to say they’re in the bottom 10. There are others I really didn’t like until I heard it live but I really don’t see that happening with these two. Though it sounds like we’ll never hear Everything live.

If you’re curious Everything is ranked above SGA with Ringfinger and Purest Feeling in between.
    Last edited by ekrekel; 09-28-2017 at 06:50 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Like I wrote above I should’ve just posted in controversial options thread - people here just want to dissect your posts and argue if you don’t like something and it’s pretty meh

I dig Satellite (especially live - I think I saw the debut), but I think it’s overall a much stronger track than Everything is, even though it could feel like a YZ leftover it still fits with the rest of HM better than Everything imo
    Just wanted to say that I agree with everything you posted. I may have dissected your post a bit, but didn't mean to argue your opinion. Satellite > Everything for sure.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    Of the non-remix/instrumentall albums, yes. Without generating a full list it’s fair to say they’re in the bottom 10. There are others I really didn’t like until I heard it live but I really don’t see that happening with these two. Though it sounds like we’ll never hear Everything live.

If you’re curious Everything is ranked above SGA with Ringfinger and Purest Feeling in between.
    interesting! what is it about she's gone away that you dislike so strongly? like, i can understand why people dislike "everything" (despite how much i like it), but she's gone away is a totally different story. (also, not telling you that you're wrong or not entitled to your opinion. i'm actually really interested in your opinion!)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    interesting! what is it about she's gone away that you dislike so strongly? like, i can understand why people dislike "everything" (despite how much i like it), but she's gone away is a totally different story. (also, not telling you that you're wrong or not entitled to your opinion. i'm actually really interested in your opinion!)
    The marching drum beat just sort of drones on for me and I'm not a fan of the chorus at all. I appreciate the lyrical homage to Reptile and TDS era ambient screaming but that's about it. A lot of NIN can be repetitive, but usually there's some lyrical or vocal variation or a building cacophony to keep it from just sounding like he's saying the same thing over and over(x12) again. Not this one.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Wait, people are actually still debating over this track?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I really don’t like it but damn if I don’t sing along.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    If you can like Discipline and then go bash Everything, you confuse and baffle me. Discipline is vanilla NIN. Yeah, I said it. Discipline is much more embarrassing and cheesy.
    Last edited by neorev; 09-30-2017 at 02:26 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    No, if anything "Discipline" is BDSM!

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Could never get over the horribly generic programmed beat (something that plagued HM and continues into the EP's too often), Trents voice cracking in the first line, or the guitar that sounds like The Cure.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Oh noes programmed beats on NIN records! In 2017! And 2013! And 2008! And 2005! And 1999! And 1994! And 1992! And 1989!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll take Everything over Running, thats for damn sure.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Oh noes programmed beats on NIN records! In 2017! And 2013! And 2008! And 2005! And 1999! And 1994! And 1992! And 1989!
    More often than not, a majority of the electronic beats recorded prior to HM resembled drums. I'm well aware of Trents use of electronic beats dating back to the 80's.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I think the turning point for the drums was around Year Zero

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I think the turning point for the drums was around Year Zero
    And that fit very well with the more electronic music that was prevalent on YZ. Most of the HM songs that have the generic beats would've been served better with percussion that sounded more like actual drums. VMOE is a good example of a terrific HM tune with more traditional drums.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @Krazy
    Yeah, the drums are the main reason I can't really get into Hesitation Marks and the songs become boring and stagnant. The drums sound so monotonous, lifeless, and don't really vary much. HM songs sound much better live because there's a mix of electronic beats and live drums and it helps vary it up and breathe some life into the tracks. I guess that's why I like Everything, it breaks out of that monotony.

The main reasons I've been disappointed with post-With Teeth NIN up until NTAE were the beats were getting kinda boring and souless. NTAE changed it up and I loved it, but AV went back into souless YZ/HM/HTDA beats again. I'm not asking for an album of live drums, just vary and mix it up.

I really do wish Trent and Atticus collaborated with more people like they did with NTAE because it really does seem to help. Record more live instruments and elements to chop up and manipulate.

NTAE is the best things Trent has done since With Teeth in my book. I was a bit disappointed when AV went back to the usual. AV is at least stronger than post WT-NIN, but felt too similar. I'll take another NTAE styled release.
    Last edited by neorev; 10-01-2017 at 05:04 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I guess it goes without saying that there are exceptions. "In this twilight"'s beats are great imho

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I guess it goes without saying that there are exceptions. "In this twilight"'s beats are great imho
    I'll give him In This Twilight and My Violent Heart off Year Zero.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Absolutely. Vessel (and many NIN songs prior to and after YZ) would probablysound pretty bad with more live drums. Going back to Everything though, it's pretty much a rock song- would've been better served without the programmed beat.