Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20

Thread: The Feminist Thread

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Yes, I know. I wanted to be there. I was sick throughout that week and wasn't up to going to Chicago.
    I hear ya. We had some logistical problems related to family and canceled at the last minute; thank GOD because I got a phone call in the mid-afternoon from some lady at Bed Bath & Beyond telling me that my Mom had fallen down in the parking lot and was bleeding all over the place; 7 hours in the ER, 10 stitches in her chin, 3 stitches in her lower lip, 2 front teeth chipped, 2 sprained wrists, 1 bruised shin, and we all went without lunch and dinner, finally ate dinner at 11:30 p.m. Had I been downtown, I don't know WHAT would have happened.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Holy shit, that's awful. Sorry to hear it.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Thanks. Thankfully, she'll be okay. But as we were sitting in the hospital ER waiting room (for SEVEN FUCKING HOURS) watching the marchers on TV on CNN, G and I just kept thinking "holy shit, sure glad we didn't go." We were gonna take the TRAIN, too, which is an hour there and back.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertai...in-harassment/

i only watched "the coworker" and will have to watch the rest another day.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Alamo Draft House in Austin is doing two women-only screenings of Wonder Woman (they started with one, but it sold out so quickly that they added a second).

Naturally, guys are furious about this. "Reverse sexism!" "I get it, it's 2017, discrimination is cool as long as it's against guys!" "When are you going to have male-only viewings of Thor?!"

I hate men. I am a man, and I'm fucking embarrassed to identify as such some days. Men are the whiniest little crybaby shitheads in the world.

(Thankfully, Alamo's social media handler has been absolutely on point with the responses to these complaining little twits, and they've generally gotten much better feedback on their replies than the complaints they're addressing. So there's hope, I suppose.)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Alamo Draft House in Austin is doing two women-only screenings of Wonder Woman (they started with one, but it sold out so quickly that they added a second).

Naturally, guys are furious about this. "Reverse sexism!" "I get it, it's 2017, discrimination is cool as long as it's against guys!" "When are you going to have male-only viewings of Thor?!"

I hate men. I am a man, and I'm fucking embarrassed to identify as such some days. Men are the whiniest little crybaby shitheads in the world.

(Thankfully, Alamo's social media handler has been absolutely on point with the responses to these complaining little twits, and they've generally gotten much better feedback on their replies than the complaints they're addressing. So there's hope, I suppose.)
    my favorite was the response to the inquiry about a men-only screening wherein the social media handler posted a link to their "private events booking" page <3

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    https://www.themarysue.com/kai-cole-...don-hypocrisy/

joss whedon is a fucking turd. not a big surprise, but still a disappointment. why is it that such shitty people often make such good art?

good for Kai for speaking out on this. i hope it helps people avoid this kind of bullshit in their relationships.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

The Feminist Thread

Someone asked me if the next Uber CEO should be a woman and I said "nah, but he has to be a feminist."

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    A woman I know who has always been "I am not a feminist" has started watching Mad Men and is real-time complaining about how mysogynistic everyone is in it.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    As of today, it is illegal for employers in NYC to ask about wage histories when hiring.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    A grown-ass woman on Facebook just posted a long comment in response to a fashion article, derailing the topic to instead "explain" why women are at risk of assault. It can be summarized as this: "women need to stop objectifying themselves by dressing in clothes that make them look like hookers" (she used all of those words; I'm just paraphrasing for brevity).

Needless to say, I have never been so quick to jump down someone's throat on the internet.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    last night, someone (who has since deleted his comment) used the phrase "toxic feminism" when discussing The Last Jedi (after i posted an article about toxic masculinity being the real villain of the film). i would have been angrier but i couldn't stop laughing at him for being such an idiot.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    I love herrrr

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    This is, without question, my favorite Super Bowl headline / short article from this year. Possibly ever.

Husband of World Champion Julie Ertz Wins Regional Sports Trophy

They're not wrong. She's a part of an actual world championship team, unlike the "world" champions of the single-country NFL.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Male town supervisor threatens to remove all funding for the National Women's Hall of Fame because of one new honoree's decades-old actions.

https://www.syracuse.com/state/2019/...ane-fonda.html

For fuck's sake.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    This story by a woman in Afghanistan is devastating
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ing-i-achieved

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I'm so scared for all the women and children in Afghanistan right now

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    This story by a woman in Afghanistan is devastating
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ing-i-achieved
    It’s been devastating since 1994.

As it is in all Sharia countries.

We go in and feed them false hope and bullshit, when we know we can’t stay and liberate them without colonizing their country; which we aren’t going to do. So we are technically horrible, too.