Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Nine Inch Nails & Children

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Ok. Her voice is super annoying but she is spot on. Kudos.

The other day, I was remarking how my 91 year old grandmother has super long nails. I told her that she practically had nine inch nails. My 6 year old daughter's face lit up and told me, "Mom! You said, 'nine inch nails!!!!!!!'" I love my daughter!

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Without even listening to this, my post is based solely on the title:

No babies at concerts. Ever. Period.

I mean...if we're talking some book store concert for kids, that's one thing. But do not take tiny children to a concert of ear shattering proportions. You don't get to ruin their hearing just so you can go see a show.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Don't fucking bring babies anywhere, leave them in boxes until they're old enough to understand me telling them to go away

#grumpyoldman

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I agree with theimage. Part of having a kid, to me (I don't have any), is giving up some freedom to take care of it. If you want to go to a loud\any concert, don't bring the baby if you can't get a sitter. You might think your baby is the greatest and most mature toddler, but no one will be impressed when it starts crying. Been to two shows when this has happened, my first NIN show and the second time I saw Leonard Cohen. Both times everyone around me was upset someone would bring a baby to the show.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    I agree with theimage. Part of having a kid, to me (I don't have any), is giving up some freedom to take care of it. If you want to go to a loud\any concert, don't bring the baby if you can't get a sitter. You might think your baby is the greatest and most mature toddler, but no one will be impressed when it starts crying. Been to two shows when this has happened, my first NIN show and the second time I saw Leonard Cohen. Both times everyone around me was upset someone would bring a baby to the show.
    Thankfully I only had it once - but it was at a classical music recital. If I had been near that kid, it would've gone head first out the door.

But yeah, if they're not old enough to sing along, probably not old enough to bring. Get a sitter etc

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Both times it was during the quiet parts of the set. Ghosts and a poem recitation.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Yesterday my son once again wanted to listen Sanctified. Since the ACL show stream is available on their web site, this is his favour version of Sanctified. So, I played it on TV and we started to "dance" (well holding 17 kg son while he is jumping to NIN songs is quite tiring and cannot be named as "dancing"). As always he was singing:

Just...FIEEEED! Pu...FIEEEED! San...FIEEEED! ...in YOUUUUUU-UUUU-UUUUUU.

But then something happened! My son asked me:
    - "Daddy, who you like most?" (I'm unable to translate it perfectly from Polish, because his questions have some grammar problems)
    - Well, I like this man (Josh Eustis). And who do you like?
    - [Silence, nothing special, silence once again, then Trent is going back on camera and my son yelled] THIS MAAAAN! THIS MAAN! AND LAIDIES!

Heh, that was something really awesome. I must record him with my camera, while he is singing Copy of A, Came Back Haunted or Sanctified. It's mind-blowing.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    i got into nin at 12 with Broken (and backtracked to PHM) and can honestly say that it DID, in fact, alter me, specifically regarding the way i thought relationships were supposed to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Without even listening to this, my post is based solely on the title:

No babies at concerts. Ever. Period.

I mean...if we're talking some book store concert for kids, that's one thing. But do not take tiny children to a concert of ear shattering proportions. You don't get to ruin their hearing just so you can go see a show.
    This is why for a few years, I didn't go to any concerts. I wasn't about to take my young children and had no babysitter. That has since changed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'd like to introduce the kind of music I enjoy to my children one day. Nine Inch Nails will be one of them.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I'm still amazed at how different this thread has gone in this decade. Anyway, I was still curious enough to bring up this question again, as I've found it interesting, since it's about late childhood and very early adolescence, considering how most people agree that high school students are old enough to listen to Nine Inch Nails. This is also just curiosity yet again, as I don't mean to argue with anybody that believes otherwise. As for me, I've always thought that middle school students are old enough to listen to Nine Inch Nails. However, it really does seem like most people at ETS would still be okay with it this time around anyway.

Would some of you also still say that middle school students as far as ages 11 and 12 are too young to listen to Nine Inch Nails?

I was just wondering again, as I've seen many posters state that even 11 year olds and 12 year olds are too young to be listening to NIN when this thread was skewed in the opposite direction. I've also checked the other pages of this thread, and most of them seem to talk about kids under 9. I could also still understand people objecting kids 10 and under from listening to NIN though.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 05-09-2014 at 01:38 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I think the best time to introduce a kid to NIN is when the kid itself asks for help finding music that has deeper meaning. Most kids don't care about that, so if you just happened to meet (or give birth to) one that DOES care, why not see what happens. Of course, tell the kid not to take everything trent says in his lyrics at face value.

You know, does this could possibly help build a better relationship with kids...Maybe even teach them a thing or two...give them a new perspective.

I think that's what more kids need...to be exposed to real world, and have it broken down to them. Most kids take things at face value or how they choose to perceive it because there's no one around willing to look at the pictures they drew and have a conversation with them.

Sure, talking to babies can be hard, but it's probably extremely rewarding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When I have my little one in the car I dont worry what I play over the stereo, he will dance along to most things haha. I'm not too bothered by how it will effect him.
    I was 9 when Outkast's Stankonia album came out and I used to sing the fuck out of "I'll call before I come" I had absolutely no idea what it meant.
    Only to listen to it again maybe 6/7 years later and laughed at myself.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    My kid just rolled 4 and discovered Manson on his own. I'm still unsure what to think.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    My 4 year old after seeing a bit of the '94 Woodstock performance:

*trent starts beating on his keyboard*
    "If he doesn't like it, he should pick a different instrument"

*trent starts swinging a mic stand around*
    "He is messing up EVERYTHING. That's not nice."

*NIN exists after trashing the stage*
    "Well, now everyone is leaving because there is nothing left to play. That's sad."

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My daughter rocks out to pantera. Loves NIN, Manson, Run The Jewels, Aphex Twin (which surprised me) .. She's almost 2.

I don't plan on teaching her to be terrified and stunned every time she hears whatever voodoo bad words or whatever the flavor of the moment thing is to be shocked about. Trying to teach her logic, reasoning, and above all context. There's a time and place for everything, and I'm trying to keep her as broad as possible for as long as possible.

I think her favorite song is the intro music for the late show with stephen colbert. So far it's the one song that no matter what she's doing or where we are, if she hears it, she drops what she's doing and waves her arms around in the air.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I don't have kids of my own, but I do have a nephew, and his dad (who was the one who turned me onto Nine Inch Nails in the first place) plays some tracks for him sometimes. Ghosts I-IV gets a lot of play just because it's an instrumental album, and he also seems to enjoy The Fragile as well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I avoid anything overly loud or with any strong language, but my 6 year old daughter and I sing along to Came Back Haunted in the car regularly. My 5 month old son loves the Before the Flood score.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

The kid is actually just as old as The Hand That Feeds/With Teeth on this video.

To also add a point along with the video, it seems like it really still remains to be quite the 180 when this topic first graced the old ETS back when all there was to NIN was Pretty Hate Machine to With Teeth. It was a parent back in 2006 wondering whether or not NIN was okay to have his kids listen to NIN and which songs to leave out if so. There were even a lot of posts also saying that NIN might not be suitable for 11 year olds and 12 year olds and basically deemed NIN to be a 13+ band. I've seen kids even younger than 11 at the last NIN show I attended. On the other hand, even with NIN, sometimes I can't always base things solely on ETS, and it's often/generally a case to case basis contingent on the individual.

With that being said, I still like how well this thread has done overall, and it's still one of my favorite threads to read sometimes while lurking, considering just how amazing and pleasantly surprising the shift turned out to be. I suppose what also interested me about this is because I never really saw NIN as a 13+ band, ever, even back then. Single digits aside, 10-12 are often the earliest ages people start getting into music anyway.

@henryeatscereal @piggy - I checked and noticed that @elevenism posted here, but was also interested to see what your take on this topic was so far. I'd hope and I'm sure you'd understand, since this has been one of my favorite NIN topics on ETS since 2006, as I always love seeing any interests of mine defy/transcend generation gaps.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 03-03-2019 at 04:01 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    grew up listening to NIN- my parents played the PHM cassette in 89/90 when I was about 4 years old and followed the journey throughout the 90's with them.

I was 7 when I watched Dawn of the Dead for the first time with my dad.

Turned out fine. *shrug*

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I guess I kind of fall into the 13+ camp for listening to NIN, at least when it comes to the grittier subject matter. I'm not a parent, but I wouldn't personally want my kid(s) being exposed to that until they're old enough to handle it. If we're talking about poppy "mainstream" tracks, such as HLAH or THTF, that's not an issue at all. Let 'em hear it.

I think it's probably a crapshoot for each kid, case-by-case basis and all that jazz. I remember first hearing TDS when I was about 13 and I have to admit that I was pretty disturbed by it. I didn't grow up being exposed to a lot of edgy music or movies, though, so YMMV for sure.

Once they are older and going through some shit, though, that's different. I would intentionally introduce them to NIN in the hopes that it would foster good taste, an open mind about music, and an emotional outlet for their issues.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    @henryeatscereal @piggy - I checked and noticed that @elevenism posted here, but was also interested to see what your take on this topic was so far. I'd hope and I'm sure you'd understand, since this has been one of my favorite NIN topics on ETS since 2006, as I always love seeing any interests of mine defy/transcend generation gaps.
    Well, i started listening to NIN when i was 13...

By that moment i already heard some bands like The Doors, Rolling Stones, Nirvana and Soundgarden; but even then i could tell NIN was "something else".
    My very first impression of the band was the "Closer" video. I remember that even though it was the censored version, i got obsessed and even scared with the bands imagery.

So i guess it was both a pleasant, but also a shocking experience, i guess i wasn't a "little kid", but i don't think i was fully prepared for that experience (but that was also a great thing...)
    But that was the 90's... nowadays kids can be exposed to much more shocking stuff just with a "click" on their phones.

So, i guess i got no problem with small children listening to NIN's music; maybe just for the profanity i would "keep it away" from kids, but honestly; that's not really one of my concerns (i got not kids i don't think i'm ever having them and i could care less).

I guess if someone asked me, i would "recommend" the band for kids 13 years or older, but in my experience things can be shocking at any age when you don't keep an open mind..
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 03-04-2019 at 02:08 AM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    As with many parenting things, my opinion on all this has evolved with each kid. My general view is that because every kid is different, you really can't draw an arbitrary line in the sand for what age music is appropriate for a kid.

My son is turning 11 in April, and he is SO different from me at 11. I was already fully immersed in music fanaticism and lusting after rock stars like a dweeb. My brother bought his first guitar at 11 and was trying to play Metallica songs. My son still thinks girls have cooties and just wants to play Roblox all day. He has zero interest in music at this point, so the content thing hasn't come up there yet.

My daughter is totally different. She's seven, but as I've mentioned on here before she has some serious disabilities. Her cognitive skills put her somewhere around the 18-month development stage. She LOVES music and specifically likes NIN. It's complicated because I wouldn't ordinarily let the most mature 7-year-old in the world listen to a song with the word "fuck" in it, mostly because kids that age will just blurt out words they've overheard. But...as far as we can tell she doesn't really know what any of those lyrics are and might not ever understand them, and she's largely non-verbal so it's not like she's going to be singing "Closer" at school or something.

We tend to throw that Tension video from Vevo on the tv when she's stressed out and that helps her calm down. I think it's a combination of the cool lights and the music that she enjoys. But one day while watching some NIN concert she was shoving toys into a little bottle and shaking them, trying to use the bottle like a tambourine. It was darling, so we bought her an actual tambourine and now she shakes it while Trent has his out, which makes me all weepy like an idiot. She loves it, it seems harmless in her very specific and unusual situation, so we are letting it go and just letting her enjoy it.

The smart thing my parents did for me as a teenager was by telling me "you can listen to the music you want to listen to, but if you are going to buy adult music then you need to be able to have adult conversations about it." So any time I wanted to buy a CD with a parental advisory sticker on it, I had to sit down with my parents go over the lyrics with them on either the computer or the CD booklet. Those were some awkward, but GOOD, conversations about music, art, and humanity as a whole. We did this with Manson's Antichrist Superstar, the Downward Spiral and more. My mom would just ask me questions about the lyrics like "what do you think he means by that?" or "have you ever felt that way?" or "what do you like about this song?". It forced me to actually think about what I was listening to and articulate why I liked it.

Anyway, I don't think there's a perfect "right" answer to that question because no kid is the same.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    The smart thing my parents did for me as a teenager was by telling me "you can listen to the music you want to listen to, but if you are going to buy adult music then you need to be able to have adult conversations about it." So any time I wanted to buy a CD with a parental advisory sticker on it, I had to sit down with my parents go over the lyrics with them on either the computer or the CD booklet. Those were some awkward, but GOOD, conversations about music, art, and humanity as a whole. We did this with Manson's Antichrist Superstar, the Downward Spiral and more. My mom would just ask me questions about the lyrics like "what do you think he means by that?" or "have you ever felt that way?" or "what do you like about this song?". It forced me to actually think about what I was listening to and articulate why I liked it.
    This is friggin great parenting. Kudos to them.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    This is friggin great parenting. Kudos to them.
    They both grew up with their parents burning their Motley Crue and Prince albums because of the devil or whatever. Jokes on my grandparents now: I work for a church and play NIN and Manson albums in my office loooool.

My mom, dad, and stepmom didn't want to stifle expression, but they also understood that the brains of kids aren't always able to process adult content properly. There's a nuance to parenting, like everything. Some kids really probably shouldn't be listening to certain content due to their individual maturity level, but that's why it's on the parents to sort out rather than the artist or the government etc.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Interesting how it goes in non-English speaking world. My parents wouldn't give a damn about the lyrics of my music because they don't speak English above elementary level. But most of my music just sounds like noise to my mom, and it goes for pretty much all alternative rock scene and other heavy stuff. She can tolerate when I play Pink Floyd or Bowie in her presence. But my attempts to play relatively mellow stuff like La Mer/Still (NIN), Radiohead, Massive Attack, some slow/quiet stuff by other bands (QOTSA, APC, Tool, TSP, etc) were not appreciated.

Much of my musical taste was actually formed by my sister (7 years older than me) and her then-boyfriend and his buddies. I'm forever thankful lol.