Thread: Jimmy Eat World

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Jimmy Eat World

Can you still feel the butterflies?

Last edited by bobbie solo; 08-08-2015 at 11:51 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Why is this a thread?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    cuz I couldn't find another one about Jimmy Eat World? I'm also very angry that I can't edit the orig. title (as far as I can tell) to make the I in "Jimmy" lower case.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Ah, nostalgia. Bleed American holds a special place in my heart, it always reminds me of a summer when I was a teen.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    one of my favorite bands! i've only seen them live once (when they were still touring on bleed american...pretty sure i was 15 or 16?) but they were fantastic. all the vinyl reissues that came out recently were fantastic, and i also have the 3xLP version of bleed american. only album i don't like/don't own is "chase this light". big misstep for a band who hasn't put out anything else even remotely bad, in my opinion.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    @Space Suicide rustles my Jimmies.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    one of my favorite bands! only album i don't like/don't own is "chase this light". big misstep for a band who hasn't put out anything else even remotely bad, in my opinion.
    I used to hate that album, but I recently came around on it. It's still not their best work, but there's some really good to decent tracks on that.

I wish they'd re-release that 3xLP Bleed American.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Totally smashing band. Really great live, we've seen them most UK tours since about '04, and we're seeing Jim solo soon too.
    Can't see a lot of cross over on this board though...

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    we have a miley thread. this thread is as welcome as any other.

"the middle" is a fun song.

that's all i got.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    One of my favorite bands to date. Their last album was a miss for me, but JEW records all tend to be really big growers for me. Futures will always be my all time favorite album from them. Nostalgia mixed with still loving those songs to this date make it a classic for me. Bleed American I loved as well, but I could easily skip some songs on that album.

This song from Chase This Light I have always admired... check it.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    When they came through the Vic in Chicago touring for Invented, they atayed in the alley afterward talking to all the fans until everyone was gone. Very cool down to earth people.

And they show was amazing,

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Missed this thread somehow, but i love this band. Agree with the general consensus that CTL is probably their least good release, I love everything else (not the biggest fan of Damage, but its ok).

I remember the kick I got when I picked up Stay on My Side Tonight EP and found the Heatmiser cover on there.
    With the lyrical reference in Kill from the Futures record, and me being a a massive Elliot Smith fan, I was pretty stoked with how this all came together.
    Saw them for the Invented tour, would love to catch them live again sometime.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Has anyone listened to much of Jim's solo EP?

http://jimadkins.net/

Couple of good tracks on there. The cover from Beck's songbook project thingy is cool. Hell sounds like it could fit onto a recent JEW album.

Anyone?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cicada View Post
    Has anyone listened to much of Jim's solo EP?

http://jimadkins.net/

Couple of good tracks on there. The cover from Beck's songbook project thingy is cool. Hell sounds like it could fit onto a recent JEW album.

Anyone?
    haven't checked it out, yet. planning on it soon!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    I never much cared for them during the whole Bleed American phase, even though 'Sweetness' is one of their best songs ever

One of the best vinyl finds I ever made was in a record store in Yokohama, where I scored the Clarity reissue near mint for only about $15 equivalent. Some of the best vinyl finds I've ever made digging came from that place, but Clarity was a huge score
    that's interesting, i thought bleed american was pretty universally appreciated. i like clarity better, but i acknowledge that bleed american is a pretty fantastic album. it's solid all the way through with not a filler track, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Futures... That is all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think it had something to do with the fact that I loved Clarity from the time of its release in...'99? And then when "The Middle" came out, it sounded like some cheap sellout bullshit to me and turned me off big time.
    The first song i heard from BA was Bleed American itself. So I guess I had a different intro to the record. I still love that song, its a great 1st track to the album. I sort of get why people don't like The Middle I guess. It marked a bit of a departure from the song writing on Clarity. Personally I still like it, and I think if you drill down into it, there's a lot more in the song than just the first impression you get of a catchy, charting pop song. The guitar solo for The Middle is still one of Jim's best IMO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    haven't checked it out, yet. planning on it soon!
    Hell and Don't Act Like Your Heart Isn't Hard are my 2 standouts from the EP. Lemme know what you think.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I really liked Bleed American (the song) when it came out, and some time later I went to pick up the album but could never find it... turns out I hadn't realised it had been renamed post 9/11.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think if Sweetness had been the first single instead, it would have went down a lot easier with the Clarity diehards like myself. .
    Yeah Bleed American was actually the first single I'm pretty sure, then The Middle then Sweetness, but I get what you mean anyway.

I thought the whole renaming thing was a bit reactionary to be honest. But I guess that was the impact of 9/11

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So did anyone catch Jim on his solo tour for I Will Go?

Keen to hear what JEW stuff he played and what the arrangements were like with just him on acoustic.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    So did anyone catch Jim on his solo tour for I Will Go?

Keen to hear what JEW stuff he played and what the arrangements were like with just him on acoustic.
    Yeah, I saw it. It was pretty stellar.
    I think the setlist was the same for the whole tour: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/jim-ad...-73f766cd.html
    He just powered through a ton of material.
    I don't recall anything hugely unexpected arrangement wise, but his voice totally shined.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Cool thx for that. Interesting set, only 1 song from BA but a whole lot of songs! How long did he play for?

I was hugely impressed by his voice the last time I saw JEW. Especially compared to some of the recordings of early live shows I had seen. Seems like he really worked at it and improved massively. I'd love to catch that show, but I think its unlikely he'd bring it to Australia.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    How long did he play for?
    I guess about an hour and a half?

I think it really bought out what a great song writer he is.