Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr Robot

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Seriously... no reactions to last night's episode?!?!?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Honestly, it felt disappointing.

Part of what I liked about this show was not really knowing where it was going, or what was really happening.

I didn't get that with this episode.

EDIT: I worry that I won't get that at all this season. This "showdown"....I don't know, I feel like this show was built on the deception and trickery. And the one at the end felt cheap.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I was floored by the initial death in the cold open. I've missed this show so much and it did not disappoint, from Low's "Little Drummer Boy" cover, to the set-up, I'm looking forward to see how it ends. Mr. Robot has always taken hard turns and I'm sure they will end with a bang; they've always been good at hiding their secrets. I'm going to miss it, but I'm glad it's going out on top.
    Last edited by Ruined; 10-08-2019 at 10:37 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    I was floored by the initial death in the cold open. I've missed this show so much and it did not disappoint, from Low's "Little Drummer Boy" cover, to the set-up, I'm looking forward to see how it ends. Mr. Robot has always taken hard turns and I'm sure they will end with a bang; they've always been good at hiding their secrets. I'm going to miss it, but I'm glad it's going out on top.
    Yup, I thought it was great. I couldn't believe the opening. I honestly didn't think they were trying to trick us at all with the ending. It was pretty clear what was going to happen. The fact who you see in the room is the surprise, not the incident that happened.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I guess maybe what bothered me about the cold opening was that I thought we were still doing the recap and was only half paying attention.

We've seen part of that scene before, so I wasn't paying all that much attention to it at the time, because I thought we were still just recapping until it was partway through.

I know it was supposed to be unexpected to do it there, but I was grabbing a drink and settling in to watch when it happened, so the unexpected part of it took away from the impact instead of helping this time.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    I guess maybe what bothered me about the cold opening was that I thought we were still doing the recap and was only half paying attention.

We've seen part of that scene before, so I wasn't paying all that much attention to it at the time, because I thought we were still just recapping until it was partway through.

I know it was supposed to be unexpected to do it there, but I was grabbing a drink and settling in to watch when it happened, so the unexpected part of it took away from the impact instead of helping this time.
    Yeah it definitely was a recap that just seamlessly transitioned into the new episode. I've never seen that done before; it was like a cutscene from a videogame that became gameplay. I usually do other stuff during a recap as well but decided to watch as it has been a long time since the last season and I actually needed the recap. I started wondering if my memory was so bad that I forgot the scene because it kept going before I finally realized it was the new episode. So, yeah, it's understandable why you might have missed part of it and not got the max impact. But, man, it hit me hard since I just happened to watch from the start.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Spoiler: After everything that happened, Angela getting killed was the logical next step, but it sucks. Really liked her character.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    Yeah it definitely was a recap that just seamlessly transitioned into the new episode. I've never seen that done before; it was like a cutscene from a videogame that became gameplay. I usually do other stuff during a recap as well but decided to watch as it has been a long time since the last season and I actually needed the recap. I started wondering if my memory was so bad that I forgot the scene because it kept going before I finally realized it was the new episode. So, yeah, it's understandable why you might have missed part of it and not got the max impact. But, man, it hit me hard since I just happened to watch from the start.
    Yeah, same here. I loved the way they did the transition.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    So... Spoiler: there's apparently a third personality inside Elliot's head? Think it's another character that's been on the show or a new one about to be introduced?? I'm very intrigued...

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    So... Spoiler: there's apparently a third personality inside Elliot's head? Think it's another character that's been on the show or a new one about to be introduced?? I'm very intrigued...
    My partner and I literally sat and theorized for like half an hour after the episode ended about this.

Spoiler: The conclusion that we finally settled on is that the third personality is US, the one that Elliot (and now Mr Robot) are talking to in all the voice-over narration.

But I don't know, this show is so good that I have no fucking clue what's going to happen. I love it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    My partner and I literally sat and theorized for like half an hour after the episode ended about this.

Spoiler: The conclusion that we finally settled on is that the third personality is US, the one that Elliot (and now Mr Robot) are talking to in all the voice-over narration.

But I don't know, this show is so good that I have no fucking clue what's going to happen. I love it.
    There are some really good theories on Reddit about what's going on with all that, some of which are pretty intriguing.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Doesn't this series look a bit different than previous ones, I mean in a good way, like even deeper? And for some reason cinematography (?) reminded me of (very very good) Blade Runner 2049, lights and shadows, and sometimes I felt like watching some really amazingly rendered computer animation, like "well this is pretty good job guys, ALMOST looks real". But I don't really understand much anything here, so just my $.02. :-)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    Doesn't this series look a bit different than previous ones, I mean in a good way, like even deeper? And for some reason cinematography (?) reminded me of (very very good) Blade Runner 2049, lights and shadows, and sometimes I felt like watching some really amazingly rendered computer animation, like "well this is pretty good job guys, ALMOST looks real". But I don't really understand much anything here, so just my $.02. :-)
    Well, a big reason for that is likely because Sam Esmail originally intended for it to be a feature film, but, while he was writing it, he decided it would be better suited as a television show. I believe he also wanted to make something that was akin to a David Fincher film, so that could also explain the look of the show.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post

Wow that theory is a damn good one! Didn't think of that tbh. Now excuse me, while I pull up my hoodie and ponder this new theory.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    As for me, I'm loving these new episodes.
    Also, I'm wondering if Whiterose's "pet project" could be something like time travel. She had Angela convinced that she could see her mother again. I also think back to her telling Elliot "you hack people. I hack time."

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I'm also losing my mind, trying to figure out who the other personality is. It wouldn't be the THIRD one, though- it would be the fifth, right?

There's Elliot himself, Mr. Robot, young Elliot, and the woman.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    As for me, I'm loving these new episodes.
    Also, I'm wondering if Whiterose's "pet project" could be something like time travel. She had Angela convinced that she could see her mother again. I also think back to her telling Elliot "you hack people. I hack time."
    I think this show is too grounded in realism for it to bring time travel into it. Whiterose convincing Angela that she could see her mother again was purely a manipulation of her emotions, and it worked. As for the "You hack people, I hack time" quote, I think that's more symbolic of her obsession with time. For example, Spoiler: Zhang deciding to escalate Price's resignation by promoting Tyrell to CEO was a power play to prevent a countermeasure that could have happened while waiting for the Deus Group to name a successor.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I've really enjoyed the last 2 episodes. The mystery is starting to come back, and starting to see the players moving, it's felt better than the first episode and like the show is back on track.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    I think this show is too grounded in realism for it to bring time travel into it. Whiterose convincing Angela that she could see her mother again was purely a manipulation of her emotions, and it worked. As for the "You hack people, I hack time" quote, I think that's more symbolic of her obsession with time. For example, Spoiler: Zhang deciding to escalate Price's resignation by promoting Tyrell to CEO was a power play to prevent a countermeasure that could have happened while waiting for the Deus Group to name a successor.
    i mean, in a way, it's grounded in reality, but it's also surreal on multiple levels. the plot itself is, objectively, pretty unlikely, featuring international conspiracies and the like. Also, we've got a fourth wall breaking unreliable narrator who has dissociative identity disorder.
    Finally, there have been prophetic dream sequences, bizarre scenes like Angela's meeting Whiterose (which included the actress who also played the younger version of angela, i think,) and a WHOLE lot of references to time and undoing things, and bizarre symbolism galore, and all manner of other shit that i STILL haven't figured out, you know?
    I'm not convinced as to just how grounded in reality the show is.

Don't get me wrong. i'm not going all in on my "something like time travel" thought- i wouldn't put money down on it happening. At the same time, though, i DO feel like just about anything could happen in this show.

And i think there's going to be one more MASSIVE twist in this thing, whatever that may be.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    i mean, in a way, it's grounded in reality, but it's also surreal on multiple levels. the plot itself is, objectively, pretty unlikely, featuring international conspiracies and the like. Also, we've got a fourth wall breaking unreliable narrator who has dissociative identity disorder.
    Finally, there have been prophetic dream sequences, bizarre scenes like Angela's meeting Whiterose (which included the actress who also played the younger version of angela, i think,) and a WHOLE lot of references to time and undoing things, and bizarre symbolism galore, and all manner of other shit that i STILL haven't figured out, you know?
    I'm not convinced as to just how grounded in reality the show is.

Don't get me wrong. i'm not going all in on my "something like time travel" thought- i wouldn't put money down on it happening. At the same time, though, i DO feel like just about anything could happen in this show.

And i think there's going to be one more MASSIVE twist in this thing, whatever that may be.
    I certainly won't be upset if it goes in that direction, but this show is partly inspired by Fight Club if I recall correctly, and that had much more to do with mindfuckery, which Sam Esmail has done plenty of. Honestly? I'm just along for the ride because I am not a fan of trying to predict what's going to happen. I want to try to enjoy the show through its own narrative.
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 10-23-2019 at 12:45 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @Triggermine , i hear you.
    I TRY not to speculate about anything, but i can't fucking help it. i'm pausing it every two minutes asking my wife "oooooooh, zomg, so do think that means THIS, because it COULD connect with the OTHER thing," etc, and i can't seem to keep from doing it

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    This show is soo good at that.

I read an interview with Sam Esmail once where he said Spoiler: that the show will NOT go in a sci-fi direction, so time-travel is out.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Well, this episode was interesting lol

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    This show does isolation so well. Fucking heartbreaking and melancholy.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Go and watch tonight's episode if you haven't already.

Spoiler: the stairwell shot was really something else. 10/10 outstanding use of cinematography

I love this show so much

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Do we have to use spoiler tags?

The new episode was another cinematic marvel by Esmail.

Has he done anything else on par with Mr Robot?
    I'd LOVE to see him helm a big budget movie

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Do we have to use spoiler tags?

The new episode was another cinematic marvel by Esmail.

Has he done anything else on par with Mr Robot?
    I'd LOVE to see him helm a big budget movie
    Did you see the series Homecoming on Prime? If not, watch it. Esmail directed the first season and it's pure Esmail.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Last week's 99% dialogue-less episode was incredible, and somehow managed to top last season's one-take shot episode.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    I love it when this show takes long stretches of slow-burn tension and detailed character development, only to suddenly pick up speed and become heart-pounding as hell.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I potentially love where things are going with the split personalities really playing into things in an even bigger way.