Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 211 to 240 of 250

Thread: Mr Robot

  1. #211
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    3,264
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Seriously... no reactions to last night's episode?!?!?

  2. #212
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    549
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Honestly, it felt disappointing.

    Part of what I liked about this show was not really knowing where it was going, or what was really happening.

    I didn't get that with this episode.

    EDIT: I worry that I won't get that at all this season. This "showdown"....I don't know, I feel like this show was built on the deception and trickery. And the one at the end felt cheap.

  3. #213
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Salinas, CA
    Posts
    434
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I was floored by the initial death in the cold open. I've missed this show so much and it did not disappoint, from Low's "Little Drummer Boy" cover, to the set-up, I'm looking forward to see how it ends. Mr. Robot has always taken hard turns and I'm sure they will end with a bang; they've always been good at hiding their secrets. I'm going to miss it, but I'm glad it's going out on top.
    Last edited by Ruined; 10-08-2019 at 11:37 PM.

  4. #214
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    3,264
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    I was floored by the initial death in the cold open. I've missed this show so much and it did not disappoint, from Low's "Little Drummer Boy" cover, to the set-up, I'm looking forward to see how it ends. Mr. Robot has always taken hard turns and I'm sure they will end with a bang; they've always been good at hiding their secrets. I'm going to miss it, but I'm glad it's going out on top.
    Yup, I thought it was great. I couldn't believe the opening. I honestly didn't think they were trying to trick us at all with the ending. It was pretty clear what was going to happen. The fact who you see in the room is the surprise, not the incident that happened.

  5. #215
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    549
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I guess maybe what bothered me about the cold opening was that I thought we were still doing the recap and was only half paying attention.

    We've seen part of that scene before, so I wasn't paying all that much attention to it at the time, because I thought we were still just recapping until it was partway through.

    I know it was supposed to be unexpected to do it there, but I was grabbing a drink and settling in to watch when it happened, so the unexpected part of it took away from the impact instead of helping this time.

  6. #216
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Salinas, CA
    Posts
    434
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    I guess maybe what bothered me about the cold opening was that I thought we were still doing the recap and was only half paying attention.

    We've seen part of that scene before, so I wasn't paying all that much attention to it at the time, because I thought we were still just recapping until it was partway through.

    I know it was supposed to be unexpected to do it there, but I was grabbing a drink and settling in to watch when it happened, so the unexpected part of it took away from the impact instead of helping this time.
    Yeah it definitely was a recap that just seamlessly transitioned into the new episode. I've never seen that done before; it was like a cutscene from a videogame that became gameplay. I usually do other stuff during a recap as well but decided to watch as it has been a long time since the last season and I actually needed the recap. I started wondering if my memory was so bad that I forgot the scene because it kept going before I finally realized it was the new episode. So, yeah, it's understandable why you might have missed part of it and not got the max impact. But, man, it hit me hard since I just happened to watch from the start.

  7. #217
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,072
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Spoiler: After everything that happened, Angela getting killed was the logical next step, but it sucks. Really liked her character.

  8. #218
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    3,264
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    Yeah it definitely was a recap that just seamlessly transitioned into the new episode. I've never seen that done before; it was like a cutscene from a videogame that became gameplay. I usually do other stuff during a recap as well but decided to watch as it has been a long time since the last season and I actually needed the recap. I started wondering if my memory was so bad that I forgot the scene because it kept going before I finally realized it was the new episode. So, yeah, it's understandable why you might have missed part of it and not got the max impact. But, man, it hit me hard since I just happened to watch from the start.
    Yeah, same here. I loved the way they did the transition.

  9. #219
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    1,671
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    So... Spoiler: there's apparently a third personality inside Elliot's head? Think it's another character that's been on the show or a new one about to be introduced?? I'm very intrigued...

  10. #220
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    2,382
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    So... Spoiler: there's apparently a third personality inside Elliot's head? Think it's another character that's been on the show or a new one about to be introduced?? I'm very intrigued...
    My partner and I literally sat and theorized for like half an hour after the episode ended about this.

    Spoiler: The conclusion that we finally settled on is that the third personality is US, the one that Elliot (and now Mr Robot) are talking to in all the voice-over narration.

    But I don't know, this show is so good that I have no fucking clue what's going to happen. I love it.

  11. #221
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,072
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    My partner and I literally sat and theorized for like half an hour after the episode ended about this.

    Spoiler: The conclusion that we finally settled on is that the third personality is US, the one that Elliot (and now Mr Robot) are talking to in all the voice-over narration.

    But I don't know, this show is so good that I have no fucking clue what's going to happen. I love it.
    There are some really good theories on Reddit about what's going on with all that, some of which are pretty intriguing.

  12. #222
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    801
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Doesn't this series look a bit different than previous ones, I mean in a good way, like even deeper? And for some reason cinematography (?) reminded me of (very very good) Blade Runner 2049, lights and shadows, and sometimes I felt like watching some really amazingly rendered computer animation, like "well this is pretty good job guys, ALMOST looks real". But I don't really understand much anything here, so just my $.02. :-)

  13. #223
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Posts
    487
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    Doesn't this series look a bit different than previous ones, I mean in a good way, like even deeper? And for some reason cinematography (?) reminded me of (very very good) Blade Runner 2049, lights and shadows, and sometimes I felt like watching some really amazingly rendered computer animation, like "well this is pretty good job guys, ALMOST looks real". But I don't really understand much anything here, so just my $.02. :-)
    Well, a big reason for that is likely because Sam Esmail originally intended for it to be a feature film, but, while he was writing it, he decided it would be better suited as a television show. I believe he also wanted to make something that was akin to a David Fincher film, so that could also explain the look of the show.

  14. #224
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Salinas, CA
    Posts
    434
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    My partner and I literally sat and theorized for like half an hour after the episode ended about this.

    Spoiler: The conclusion that we finally settled on is that the third personality is US, the one that Elliot (and now Mr Robot) are talking to in all the voice-over narration.

    But I don't know, this show is so good that I have no fucking clue what's going to happen. I love it.
    Wow that theory is a damn good one! Didn't think of that tbh. Now excuse me, while I pull up my hoodie and ponder this new theory.

  15. #225
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    6,444
    Mentioned
    453 Post(s)
    As for me, I'm loving these new episodes.
    Also, I'm wondering if Whiterose's "pet project" could be something like time travel. She had Angela convinced that she could see her mother again. I also think back to her telling Elliot "you hack people. I hack time."

  16. #226
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    6,444
    Mentioned
    453 Post(s)
    I'm also losing my mind, trying to figure out who the other personality is. It wouldn't be the THIRD one, though- it would be the fifth, right?

    There's Elliot himself, Mr. Robot, young Elliot, and the woman.

  17. #227
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Posts
    487
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    As for me, I'm loving these new episodes.
    Also, I'm wondering if Whiterose's "pet project" could be something like time travel. She had Angela convinced that she could see her mother again. I also think back to her telling Elliot "you hack people. I hack time."
    I think this show is too grounded in realism for it to bring time travel into it. Whiterose convincing Angela that she could see her mother again was purely a manipulation of her emotions, and it worked. As for the "You hack people, I hack time" quote, I think that's more symbolic of her obsession with time. For example, Spoiler: Zhang deciding to escalate Price's resignation by promoting Tyrell to CEO was a power play to prevent a countermeasure that could have happened while waiting for the Deus Group to name a successor.

  18. #228
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    549
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I've really enjoyed the last 2 episodes. The mystery is starting to come back, and starting to see the players moving, it's felt better than the first episode and like the show is back on track.

  19. #229
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    6,444
    Mentioned
    453 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    I think this show is too grounded in realism for it to bring time travel into it. Whiterose convincing Angela that she could see her mother again was purely a manipulation of her emotions, and it worked. As for the "You hack people, I hack time" quote, I think that's more symbolic of her obsession with time. For example, Spoiler: Zhang deciding to escalate Price's resignation by promoting Tyrell to CEO was a power play to prevent a countermeasure that could have happened while waiting for the Deus Group to name a successor.
    i mean, in a way, it's grounded in reality, but it's also surreal on multiple levels. the plot itself is, objectively, pretty unlikely, featuring international conspiracies and the like. Also, we've got a fourth wall breaking unreliable narrator who has dissociative identity disorder.
    Finally, there have been prophetic dream sequences, bizarre scenes like Angela's meeting Whiterose (which included the actress who also played the younger version of angela, i think,) and a WHOLE lot of references to time and undoing things, and bizarre symbolism galore, and all manner of other shit that i STILL haven't figured out, you know?
    I'm not convinced as to just how grounded in reality the show is.

    Don't get me wrong. i'm not going all in on my "something like time travel" thought- i wouldn't put money down on it happening. At the same time, though, i DO feel like just about anything could happen in this show.

    And i think there's going to be one more MASSIVE twist in this thing, whatever that may be.

  20. #230
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Posts
    487
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    i mean, in a way, it's grounded in reality, but it's also surreal on multiple levels. the plot itself is, objectively, pretty unlikely, featuring international conspiracies and the like. Also, we've got a fourth wall breaking unreliable narrator who has dissociative identity disorder.
    Finally, there have been prophetic dream sequences, bizarre scenes like Angela's meeting Whiterose (which included the actress who also played the younger version of angela, i think,) and a WHOLE lot of references to time and undoing things, and bizarre symbolism galore, and all manner of other shit that i STILL haven't figured out, you know?
    I'm not convinced as to just how grounded in reality the show is.

    Don't get me wrong. i'm not going all in on my "something like time travel" thought- i wouldn't put money down on it happening. At the same time, though, i DO feel like just about anything could happen in this show.

    And i think there's going to be one more MASSIVE twist in this thing, whatever that may be.
    I certainly won't be upset if it goes in that direction, but this show is partly inspired by Fight Club if I recall correctly, and that had much more to do with mindfuckery, which Sam Esmail has done plenty of. Honestly? I'm just along for the ride because I am not a fan of trying to predict what's going to happen. I want to try to enjoy the show through its own narrative.
    Last edited by Triggermine; 10-23-2019 at 01:45 PM.

  21. #231
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    6,444
    Mentioned
    453 Post(s)
    @Triggermine , i hear you.
    I TRY not to speculate about anything, but i can't fucking help it. i'm pausing it every two minutes asking my wife "oooooooh, zomg, so do think that means THIS, because it COULD connect with the OTHER thing," etc, and i can't seem to keep from doing it

  22. #232
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    549
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This show is soo good at that.

    I read an interview with Sam Esmail once where he said Spoiler: that the show will NOT go in a sci-fi direction, so time-travel is out.

  23. #233
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    3,264
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Well, this episode was interesting lol

  24. #234
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Salinas, CA
    Posts
    434
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This show does isolation so well. Fucking heartbreaking and melancholy.

  25. #235
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lugano, Switzerland
    Posts
    471
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Go and watch tonight's episode if you haven't already.

    Spoiler: the stairwell shot was really something else. 10/10 outstanding use of cinematography

    I love this show so much

  26. #236
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    6,444
    Mentioned
    453 Post(s)
    Do we have to use spoiler tags?

    The new episode was another cinematic marvel by Esmail.

    Has he done anything else on par with Mr Robot?
    I'd LOVE to see him helm a big budget movie

  27. #237
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    3,264
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Do we have to use spoiler tags?

    The new episode was another cinematic marvel by Esmail.

    Has he done anything else on par with Mr Robot?
    I'd LOVE to see him helm a big budget movie
    Did you see the series Homecoming on Prime? If not, watch it. Esmail directed the first season and it's pure Esmail.

  28. #238
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    2,382
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Last week's 99% dialogue-less episode was incredible, and somehow managed to top last season's one-take shot episode.

  29. #239
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,622
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I love it when this show takes long stretches of slow-burn tension and detailed character development, only to suddenly pick up speed and become heart-pounding as hell.

  30. #240
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bayonne Leave It Alone
    Posts
    3,649
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    I potentially love where things are going with the split personalities really playing into things in an even bigger way.

Posting Permissions