Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr Robot

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Presideo View Post
    As much as I love this show, it needs to stand on it's own two legs sooner or later. The first season was great, but relied on it's Chuck Palahniuk / Bret Easton Ellis influence way too much for it's own good. S2 had a chance to break past the influences, and create it's own path. Instead, I felt like I received visual blue balls by the end - for every question answered, there seemed to be five more unanswered questions that spring up - that's not good storytelling, it's a showrunner that wants to elongate a series for the sake of elongating the series. We've seen from the days of 'Lost' that viewers can only take so much before they realize that there's no real payoff or endgame in sight and jump ship.

Also, the nerd in me also realized that S2 takes a lot from Japanese manga/anime - Elliot learning how to control his 'monster' for his own benefit and the whole mask analogy are directly taken from the manga series 'Bleach'. The entire prison subplot amounts to a training arc, a common trope in shonen manga series. Hell, even the whole prison twist feels heavily influenced from an arc in the anime series Un-Go.

I have very high hopes for this series, but the story needs to have a large payoff sooner rather than later. You can't have Elliot running around like a chicken with his head cut off and pass it off as plot progression. That insults the intelligence of the fanbase and depreciates what could potentially be a groundbreaking story.
    Sounds a bit like impatience to me. This whole show has been about revealing clues. We usually get questions answered, and then later learn that a question was answered that we never knew we had. Then we develop more questions, only to realize they aren't the ones we're supposed to ask. This show is brilliant for that! They seem to have a solid narrative in mind for this, given how strongly they've been paying attention to details. You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but, personally, it just sounds like it's not a show targeted at you.
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 10-04-2016 at 02:16 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Not to derail, but there's a video that explains LOST in about three minutes that definitely explains everything and how it actually was pretty amazing. I was always in the minority of those that loved the ending, but to each their own.

Back to your regularly scheduled Mr. Robot programming.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Not to derail, but there's a video that explains LOST in about three minutes that definitely explains everything and how it actually was pretty amazing. I was always in the minority of those that loved the ending, but to each their own.
    I liked it better when I thought it was all about a pocket of hyperconcentrated electromagnetism, rather than a spiritual morality fable. :/

(ie, before I watched that video.)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post

Back to your regularly scheduled Mr. Robot programming.
    Lost's ending was great.

If Mr Robot had resolved all of its plot threads already, why would we continue to watch? At that point it turns into Dexter which, while a good show, had a very "monster of the season" vibe to it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Finally finished season 2 of Mr. Robot. I loved season 2 and where it went. The wait for season 3 will be tough. I want more!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    The music composer totally ripped off A Drowning by HTDA for a good 2 or 3 minutes-did anyone else catch that? I get the impression that the music is supposed to be similar to Trent and Atticus, but that was pushing it for me.
    I've just finished Season 1 and had to scroll through this thread carefully, not to catch any S2 spoilers but to see if anyone else caught the score similarities.
    In fact, I can swear I've heard at least 5 or 6 different TRAR tracks (from both Dragon Tattoo and Gone Girl) being blatantly ripped off during Season 1. It would be easier to post actual examples if the series score was released officially.
    I've also caught several The Social Network ripoffs in season 1 of Suits. Looks like it's a trend now.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I've just finished Season 1 and had to scroll through this thread carefully, not to catch any S2 spoilers but to see if anyone else caught the score similarities.
    In fact, I can swear I've heard at least 5 or 6 different TRAR tracks (from both Dragon Tattoo and Gone Girl) being blatantly ripped off during Season 1. It would be easier to post actual examples if the series score was released officially.
    I've also caught several The Social Network ripoffs in season 1 of Suits. Looks like it's a trend now.
    i'm glad it's not just me, @fillow

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    i'm glad it's not just me, @fillow

Call me nitpicky, but here goes: https://www.amazon.com/Robot-Vol-Ori.../dp/B01F9W8WU8

1.0_8-whatsyourask.m4p sounds a lot like An Itch
    1.1_3-oneor0.wma sounds a lot like Technically, Missing
    1.3_3-betterthanm0rphine.aac sounds a whole fucking lot like Clue Two (and it's still my favorite track)

The whole thing also borrows heavily from Portal 2 sound design.
    Last edited by fillow; 10-10-2016 at 04:14 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Volume 3 of the score is here!!!

New season in October

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I just jizzed in my pants...

Season 3 teaser, y'all!!!

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I'm very excited.
    There are some amazing T.V. shows these days.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    New trailer:

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Pretty solid season 3 premiere

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Boy that scene where Elliot was walking down the sidewalk describing the current state of the world was fucking REAL, ammirite?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm trying to find out what the name of the dubstep song is playing at the Capture The Flag event. Anyone know?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Found the song..

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Ahhhh can't wait to watch this after work today.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Looks like Volume 4 of Mac Quayle's Mr. Robot score comes out tomorrow, October 13th!!!

http://a.co/eiTx2dp

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/mr-.../0780163501926

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Looks like Volume 4 of Mac Quayle's Mr. Robot score comes out tomorrow, October 13th!!!

http://a.co/eiTx2dp

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/mr-.../0780163501926
    After 3 seasons I'm really starting to think that Mac Quayle must be Trent Reznor in disguise.

Agree, pretty solid premiere.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I just found out via Battle Tapes' facebook page [thread on ETS] that one of their song is playing when Elliot is leaving the club with Darlene just before getting into the taxi. Nice.
    This show is excellent on so many levels. Photography, directing, OST, acting,.. just wow. I can't wait for next week's episode.

p.s. I'm looking for the name of the first song of the episode, right before the opening scene. But I guess that'll be part of the soundtrack.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Ahhh, totally forgot about the premiere! Let the mind fucks begin.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Need to buy an OLED for all these dark movies etc... :-)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Good start.

Not buying the quantum mechanics/alternate reality/time travel crap. Not on this show.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arsenic View Post
    I just found out via Battle Tapes' facebook page [thread on ETS] that one of their song is playing when Elliot is leaving the club with Darlene just before getting into the taxi. Nice.
    This show is excellent on so many levels. Photography, directing, OST, acting,.. just wow. I can't wait for next week's episode.

p.s. I'm looking for the name of the first song of the episode, right before the opening scene. But I guess that'll be part of the soundtrack.
    Man, I was so hyped for that when they posted about it, but it's so quiet that I actually didn't even hear it the first time around and was like "What the hell, they weren't in there at all? Damn. They need the exposure." Glad to see I was proven wrong though! Definitely went over my head. I was looking too hard for "Feel The Same" being dubbed over a scene or a particular shot rather than slightly muffled in the background. If anyone here is a fan of the music on the show/music they license in, Battle Tapes is one hell of a good one to look into. The same song is featured on the GTA5 soundtrack, too, which is where I think most people will recognize them from.

Spoiler: Regarding the parallel universe/time travel/alternate reality implications we're getting...ehhh...I'm not entirely comfortable with that being how all this ends up going down, but I'm always open to being proven wrong. Sam Esmail, the creator, made another movie a couple years back called "Comet" that sort of takes similar twists (I won't say more than that, but it's worth checking out if you're into indie romance/mild sci-fi stuff), and I felt it worked out to a degree, so maybe it will be okay here. But I also have a feeling that, despite all of these little clues being dropped around, without aaany concrete evidence yet, some of them could be red herrings to throw us off from where it's actually going. See: practically every twist in this show. So for now, I'm gonna wait and see how things play out. It could be fine! It could be trash. This show hasn't missed a beat yet, so I'm hoping that streak continues.

I've really warmed up to describing this show as "'Fight Club' with hackers."
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 10-14-2017 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Words are hard.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Goddamn. "undo". what an episode.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Spoiler: So, you also tried link to plans.rar? :-) I did, and of course reddit knows already. Nice touch.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I managed to forget this show existed somehow. I was halfway through season 2 when I dropped off. Might try to pick it back up.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I don't blame you, most of season 2 was a bit of a tough thing to sit through. Third season is a huge improvement - it's leaner, more dramatic, the narrative's meatier, and there's more drive to it. Mr Robot's gone back to being essential TV again.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Well that was a pretty frigging awesome episode.
    I don't get the season 2 hate, I quite enjoyed it.
    And this episode shows us we did need the events of season 2.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    WHAT. AN. EPISODE.

How am I all of a sudden like 100% behind Welleck? The writing on this show is just so insanely brilliant.