Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 117

Thread: Emanuel AME Church Attack

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    in my pirogue
    Posts
    335
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

    Emanuel AME Church Attack

    White dude shot up a black church in South Carolina during Wednesday night prayer meeting and killed at least 9 people. I hope that they catch this person quickly.
    Last edited by cynicmuse; 06-21-2015 at 07:01 AM. Reason: clarity since it's a new thread now

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,874
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    This was a racially motivated attack on a historic black church in the community, so in this context, it matters to emphasize the race of the perp.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    4,750
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    This was a racially motivated attack on a historic black church in the community.
    That's really an assumption right now, though very likely...unless the dude came clean on why he shot it up.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    1,960
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Fixed that for ya.
    Except that the suspect is white per the wanted sheets. Your edit is invalid. Your point is questionable.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    4,750
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post
    Except that the suspect is white per the wanted sheets. Your edit is invalid. Your point is questionable.
    Except race was only added for headlines.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    13,685
    Mentioned
    925 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Except race was only added for headlines.
    No, this appears to be a hate crime which is a Federal offense. Hence why the FBI is involved.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-18-2015 at 10:32 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    1,960
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Except race was only added for headlines.
    Yes, because it's a fact. A white man went into a church and stayed for an hour, then shot 6 black women and 3 black men. That's a fact. The white man has an arrest record and a hate crime investigation has been officially opened. Again, your edit is invalid.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,874
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    The suspect has a name: Dylan Roof.
    https://twitter.com/zellieimani/stat...39932549640192

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    4,750
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post
    Yes, because it's a fact. A white man went into a church and stayed for an hour, then shot 6 black women and 3 black men. That's a fact. The white man has an arrest record and a hate crime investigation has been officially opened. Again, your edit is invalid.
    Well then, I expect you state the race of everyone involved in any news story you talk about now.

    -Tony, white person

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    512
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Edit: drunken words with buried feelings....
    Last edited by Maximilian; 06-18-2015 at 11:32 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,524
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    600
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    tony.parente: get your head checked. idiot...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,087
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
    Ever since the Trayvon Martin case, the media has made it a priority to point out which criminals, policemen, whoever does anything as white. You have to recognize it, just look at the articles. It does not impact my personal life, but I wonder what is the point they are making?
    To balance the fact that previously, race and origins were only emphasized when the criminal wasn't white, quite simply. Every white guy was just a criminal, every black guy was an african-american one, for instance.
    @tony.parente : Seriously, the media has been too happy for years to point out when criminals were P.O.C. You can't start to nitpick now that they're pointing out when a white guy does shit, they've been doing it for every other race all this time...
    Last edited by Khrz; 06-18-2015 at 11:35 AM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    682
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Media does this all the time whether person is white, black or muslim; although I gotta say "white man" is new to me. They should either drop this labeling altogether, or use it in every case. Everything in between is hypocrisy.


    Also yeah, this guy doesn't look creepy at all

    Last edited by telee.kom; 06-18-2015 at 11:36 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    13,685
    Mentioned
    925 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    Media does this all the time whether person is white, black or muslim; although I gotta say "white man" is new to me. They should either drop this labeling altogether, or use it in every case. Everything in between is hypocrisy.
    I said it on the other page and maybe your part of the world is getting late news reports but the FBI is saying this is a "hate crime" which is a Federal offense.

    Police said the victims were gathered in the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church, also known as “Mother Emanuel,” for a prayer meeting Wednesday when the shooting occurred. The congregation, established in 1816, is one of the oldest African American churches in the United States.
    From the link that @Sarah K posted:

    Witnesses say the suspect stood up and said he was there "to shoot black people," a law enforcement official said.
    Police were searching for information about Roof. A picture of him on social media showed him wearing a jacket with what appear to be the flags of apartheid-era South Africa and nearby Rhodesia, a former British colony that was ruled by a white minority until it became independent in 1980 and changed its name to Zimbabwe.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-18-2015 at 11:54 AM.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    401
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Hate crime? Isn't shooting unarmed innocent people a hate crime no matter what race/sex/creed they are? What's the basis of this hate crime law?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,087
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sallos View Post
    Hate crime? Isn't shooting unarmed innocent people a hate crime no matter what race/sex/creed they are? What's the basis of this hate crime law?
    The definition is one click away :

    In both crime and law, hate crime (also known as bias-motivated crime) is a usually violent, prejudice motivated crime that occurs when a perpetrator targets a victim because of his or her perceived membership in a certain social group. Examples of such groups include but are not limited to: ethnicity, gender identity, disability, language, nationality, physical appearance, religion, or sexual orientation.
    Last edited by Khrz; 06-18-2015 at 11:57 AM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    13,685
    Mentioned
    925 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    The definition is one click away :
    I linked a whole page from the FBI in my prior post, too.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    401
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    The definition is one click away :
    Yes i know that, my question is why? Let's suposed the motivation was not racial or any of the above mentioned, then what? Instead of getting death penalty he'd get life in prison? What exactly is the need for a hate crime law?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,087
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I linked a whole page from the FBI in my prior post, too.
    That's right, my bad !

    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    The definition is none click away :

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    682
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I said it on the other page and maybe your part of the world is getting late news reports but the FBI is saying this is a "hate crime" which is a Federal offense.
    Putting aside that at this point it is just guessing, I'm not arguing that they shouldn't have told that the guy is white, but it reminded me all those news articles where race or religion were mentioned just so people could angrily share it with the "ah those damn blacks/gypsies/arabs/imigrants" notion with their peers. If news outlets will start using it also with whites and christians, I have no problem with it. I'm just arguing for the same terms for everyone, that's all. It's not really about this shooting in particular either.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    13,685
    Mentioned
    925 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sallos View Post
    Yes i know that, my question is why? Let's suposed the motivation was not racial or any of the above mentioned, then what? Instead of getting death penalty he'd get life in prison? What exactly is the need for a hate crime law?
    First of all, for the authorities to consider it a "hate crime," then they have already determined that the motivation was within the category listed under hate crime (which would be racial in this case and is obvious in the case since the guy said "I'M HERE TO SHOOT BLACK PEOPLE"). But, what is the need for ANY law? We have murder laws, robbery laws, larceny laws, assault laws, all kinds of laws, yet they all get broken and our prisons are full. But, we still need those laws, particularly civil rights laws. I just posted an in-depth FBI link about hate crimes ^^^ Up There ^^^ that you can read, so that we don't really drift this "General Headlines" thread with the finer nuances of the law and why we have so many of them. (there is a reason why it takes three years to get through law school, and we really don't have three years in here to discuss state law vs. US constitutional law)
    Last edited by allegro; 06-18-2015 at 12:14 PM.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,524
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,874
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    "She said that he had reloaded five different times… and he just said 'I have to do it. You rape our women and you're taking over our country. And you have to go.'"

    http://www.esquire.com/news-politics...1456_195657991

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,210
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

    Random General Headlines

    Fucking... Kidding me?

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    682
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Lot of serial killers are described this way, what is wrong with that?

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,210
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    Lot of serial killers are described this way, what is wrong with that?
    Maybe it's just me, but I got a huge sense of "holy fucking white privilege" while reading that.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,210
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post
    Except that the suspect is white per the wanted sheets. Your edit is invalid. Your point is questionable.
    I mean, maybe he is transracial?











    I had to. Sorry.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the beginning of the end
    Posts
    7,928
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    in (much) more cheerful news, did you guys hear that we will be having a woman on the $10 bill in 2020?

    I bet 10 to 1 it will be Susan B Anthony.

    But yeah, i can't believe this terrible bastard shooting up a church, especially after sitting in fucking bible study at said church for an hour.

    Is it just me, or have these straight up MASSACRE type crimes been steadily on the rise since 99/2000 or so?

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,087
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    That's the same ooooooooold statement every time... "He was a nice neighbor, we never heard anything from him, he was polite and smiling". As opposed to what, running naked with a chainsaw in hand while howling maniacally ? "We never would have thought", that's all these people are saying, and of course they wouldn't, psychopath/sociopath/potential maniac isn't usually the first impression you get when you see someone.
    That's the bottom of the barrel when it comes to journalism... Fundamentally amounts to stating "When asked about the shooter, people who barely knew him went ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

Posting Permissions