Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mad Max: Fury Road

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    well, it features grotesque and mutilated people, gimps and freaks. Paired with the sexual implications this could verify an R-rating in the US. Although PG movies have gotten more and more visceral over time I think the rating is in the lines of every other rating out there so far. Look at 300 for example, which is quite similar in gore.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    But all the gore and violence is more or less hinted. Camera usually shy away from showing the gore-y stuff, which made me think that George Miller was aiming at PG rating. If they wanted R from the beginning, they would have shown much more Spoiler: the dead baby, Joe's face when his mask was tear down, Splendid going under the wheels, etc.
    Last edited by telee.kom; 05-28-2015 at 07:00 AM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Because the MPAA are a hack.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    great movie. the action numbed my head by the end of the film. left feeling overblown and depressed similarly to the way i felt after seeing the road. good times.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    It's worth recommending seeing the movie a second time because there is just *so* much to take in the first time.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    Do you think this movie deserved R rating? I think MPAA fucked them over with this rating to be honest. This was PG stuff and they will loose money because of this decision
    The general themes/attitude of it alone is PG-13 type stuff, then you have tons of blood, constant action, excessive cruelty in general, the breast milk and breeding aspects, the c-section, the general brutality -- it may not say fuck a lot or have a lot of directly on-screen gore but I'm not upset that 13 year olds weren't flooding the theatre I saw it in.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Absolutely, smashingly fun film! Haven't enjoyed an action flick so much in years. It really goes to show that you (still) cannot beat practical effects done right with even the best CGI extravaganza.

Loved the characters, loved the settings, loved the craziness, loved the mumbling, slightly unhinged Max, loved the glorious Furiosa, loved and witnessed the shiny and chrome War Boys! This is a movie that sticks with you. It may not be to everyone's liking but it completely masters the style it is going for.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I just saw it today and.... let there be a sequel with Imperator Furiosa. That is easily one of the best action-blockbuster films I have ever seen in years. Full review will come later tonight on my blog.

And here is my review: http://thevoid99.blogspot.com/2015/0...fury-road.html
    Last edited by thevoid99; 05-30-2015 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Adding my review.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This movie was friggin amazing. It's the first movie in a long time that has stuck with me afterwards and want to see in theaters again. I know it's not necessarily an original film but I still felt like it was a great breath of fresh air from all of the damn superhero movies and shit.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Incredible usage of visual effects... which are computer-generated. The fact that people are saying how much this movie benefits from NOT using computers is a testament to how far digital image manipulation has come, and how vital the contributions of CG artists are to movie-making. Petapixel misquotes the VFX supervisor saying there's "very little" CGI, when he goes on to say there are ~2000 shots that use it (and Miller says about 50-60% of the entire thing was also time-stretch varispeed manipulated in a computer for additional effect). Maybe they thought Charlize Theron went totally method and chopped her arm off for the movie.

Fuck CG haters. There are no bad tools, only bad works of art.
    Last edited by botley; 06-01-2015 at 12:02 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I think when people say there is little CGI used, what they actually mean is, there is a lot of practical effects used. They did everything they could as practical, that doesn't mean there is no post processing involved in those shots.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    That and it wasn't as much of a seizure-inducing, adhd levels of a cgi fest as a Marvel or Transformers film.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Actually @Liquid_Bastard , the reason those films are clusterfucks — and this one is not — has nothing to do with the CGI and everything to do with careful visual composition.
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    I think when people say there is little CGI used, what they actually mean is, there is a lot of practical effects used. They did everything they could as practical, that doesn't mean there is no post processing involved in those shots.
    You should read the full in-depth VFX feature that Petapixel cannibalized for their piece (they link to it in the page @mfte posted above). Sometimes the Mad Max team replaced the entire frame from the original "practical" footage with CGI. Practical origin, computer-generated result.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    @botley I think we all understand each other when we speak of CGI fests. Sure, I understand that CGI is present even when it's not immediately apparent. But I'll probably never use the term visual composition to differentiate between movies that look like video games and those that don't.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I've seen this movie 3 times now. The first time was like an introduction: it met my expectations, yet it took me a little while to process it and realize I needed to see it again. The 2nd and 3rd times were where I properly got to sink my teeth into the characters & world... and the last two times I've noticed I start getting emotional around the Max vs. Furiosa fight, and it doesn't let up much from there. The final shot, especially coupled with the First History Man quote, make for the most perfect, indelible ending. When are they announcing the sequel?

"Max, Max, my name is Max. That is my name."

"Angharad called them anti-seeds. Plant the thing and watch the thing die."

An endlessly quotable film if you ask me. When the characters speak, you really listen.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I haven't had that much fun in a theater in a long long time. Absolute mayhem, so much fun!!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    just saw it a second time. feel like i finally saw most everything. first time through was just a crazy experience.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I just couldn't believe how little it lets up on you! There's hardly any time to catch a breath!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Saw it yesterday (2d - because I went to the wrong theater) and really enjoyed it.
    Charlize Theron was fantastic.
    The little details made it so believable, like that rudder dipping into the sand to put the fire out, or that business of spitting gas into the engines to rev them up.
    Tom Hardy's speaking mystified me a bit, his mumbling and awful accent made me think of Mr Bean, or some sort of comic mime. Anyone have an explanation for this?

Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    I've just read that Junkie XL was shown a 3 hour long workprint when scoring. While I thought the movie is a tad too long in it's second half I wonder if we will get an extended cut with some deleted scenes in the end. Could be really really nice.
    I felt the movie could easily have been 3 hours: I felt it ended abruptly, and was missing a third act with more struggle and intrigue.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I saw it again this weekend and I have to agree, you do gain a greater knowledge and depth of the characters and the setting. The first time through was as a regular spectator but this time I could watch it in a more analytic point of view and really study the details.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Just got my my mondo Mad max print

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ps32yhegsy.jpg

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I thought this movie was really great. My single complaint was that there was too much emphasis on Furiosa and not nearly enough on Max. She seemed like a fairly uninteresting character, the least interesting of all the main characters imo. Plus I fucking love Tom Hardy so I was hoping for a lot more of him. Other than that, this movie was goddamn gorgeous.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    saw it in 2D in a (mostly) empty theater on friday and it was SO GOOD. a relatively simple story made all the more compelling by fantastic performances, breathtaking visuals, and incredible sound & music. everything about this move was amazing.

i don't agree that there was too much focus on furiosa. i felt that it was very balanced between her and max, and also i think that the story was more hers than his. he was along for the ride, essentially, and he played the character perfectly.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    The little details made it so believable, like that rudder dipping into the sand to put the fire out, or that business of spitting gas into the engines to rev them up.
    I thought it was pretty cool that they made it a point to show that the air intakes had closed up during the sand extinguishing scene. It seemed like there was no purpose for that clip beyond dealing with the "that is SO no realistic!" people.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    So, I've never watched Mad Max. Is it a prerequisite for Fury Road or can I just dive in?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    So, I've never watched Mad Max. Is it a prerequisite for Fury Road or can I just dive in?
    Dive the fuck in. I've never seen a Mad Max movie in its entirety and Fury Road is my fav movie of the year (in a year that includes absolute gems like Faults and Ex Machina).

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Drip, drip, drip.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Already? Holy shit, torrenting immediately lol.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    DVD release September 1st.