Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King's IT

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I finished reading the book again recently, and the tone of the trailer seems pretty close to me, "theater of the mind"-wise. The kid playing Ben is much fatter than the 1990 version, and as a former child fatty myself, that's a good thing. I'm curious what the adult losers cast will look like. The only one I thought that fit well in the first was John ritter. As far as pennywise goes, so far so good. I'm excited for this!

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    yeah, I've watched the trailer about ten times now, and color me excited...

Edit - Woah just noticed in that quick credits flash that Cary Fukunaga is still named as a writer... I thought I'd heard that when he dropped off as director they threw his screenplay out... That's exciting
    Last edited by Jinsai; 03-29-2017 at 05:14 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    A break down of the trailer from Entertainment Weekly: http://ew.com/movies/it-trailer-brea...and-terrifies/

They really seem to be staying as close to the book as they can.

There was also some comments made by Andrés Muschietti at SXSW and he has this to say about Pennywise:

What I can tell you is that he is terrifying, and there was a lot of work involved in bringing a new version of that character to life. The work I did with Bill Skarsgård was great, and he was amazing and a very impressive, talented, sweet young man.

We tried to keep Bill away from the kids as much as possible, and there’s of course that first moment of confrontation, but I tried to delay that as much as possible. He was with them for the read-through, but then that was it, and all the kids were like, “It’s okay, he’s not going to scare us,” but that first day he got onto the stage, they fucking freaked out. I can’t even describe how scary he looked in person.
    From here: https://dailydead.com/sxsw-2017-impr...e-annabelle-2/

Oh Pennywise, you silly thing!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    By the way, confession time - Guess who's never seen It? And guess who's 5 minutes from putting it in their PS4? ^^'

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    They really seem to be staying as close to the book as they can.
    I hope that's true... I just dug up a comment an hour or so ago from Muschietti that was slightly less encouraging... About how the werewolf and mummy incarnations aren't going to be in it, and that they're including material "that wasn't featured in either the original book or movie."

There seems to be a new manifestation of IT that is a "horrifying creation" named Judith, played by Tatum Lee. Speculation time... Given that King frequently cross populates his stories (like the theory that it's Pennywise, or a being similar to it, that appears in The Dark Tower VI, or that Cujo was actually possessed by the spirit of Frank Dodd - the serial killer from The Dead Zone), maybe this is somehow a tie-in to Carrie White's grandmother, Judith Cochran?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I hope that's true... I just dug up a comment an hour or so ago from Muschietti that was slightly less encouraging... About how the werewolf and mummy incarnations aren't going to be in it, and that they're including material "that wasn't featured in either the original book or movie."

There seems to be a new manifestation of IT that is a "horrifying creation" named Judith, played by Tatum Lee. Speculation time... Given that King frequently cross populates his stories (like the theory that it's Pennywise, or a being similar to it, that appears in The Dark Tower VI, or that Cujo was actually possessed by the spirit of Frank Dodd - the serial killer from The Dead Zone), maybe this is somehow a tie-in to Carrie White's grandmother, Judith Cochran?
    It's possible. Speaking of the Dark Tower movie: I read that it's not a direct adaptation of the novel; that it includes new elements. It gives credence to the theory that the movie is a continuation of the novels since Roland seems to be having the Horn of Eld in his possession in the movie. Also: mild spoiler for DT Spoiler: there is a scene in the movie in which we see drawings made by Jake before he joins Roland. One of those drawings is of the Overlook Hotel. .

@Alrea It's going to be a very painful experience, watching that series...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I have low expectations. When Cary Fukunaga dropped out he made comments inferring that the studio didn't want to adapt the book properly and just wanted an easy to digest horror cash grab, this trailer lines up with what he said.

I wish they let him do his version, it sounds like he understands the source material and would have captured the experience and translated it to film.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/ca...it-1201584416/

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Didn't the script to his version leak and it was very unlike the book?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I saw that teaser hours ago and..... holy shit. This might be good.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    definitely not as amped about the tone in the second trailer... Still amped though

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I think the 2nd trailer is a lot better, increases my excitement about it. The Losers' Club looks good, hopefully the movie is focused on their character development, like the book.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I have to agree with @Dream. I love the tone of the discussion between Ritchie, Stan and Eddie at the entrance of the sewer. That's how King wrote them: kids behaving like kids despite having to face It's horror.

And was that the Apocalyptic rock fight?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Read the Fukunaga script. Thank God that's not being made.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    first full trailer to be released Thursday

https://twitter.com/ITMovieOfficial/...77936387407872

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    first full trailer to be released Thursday

https://twitter.com/ITMovieOfficial/...77936387407872

I'm floating, y'all.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I approve. The part with the orange eyes is freaky.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    So good. This movie has been one of the few horror movies lately that looks better and better with each trailer.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    So weird getting two King movies in the same year.

lol at the captions: A wild assassine clown appears
    Last edited by allegate; 07-27-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    that opening scene is stunning because it's-ahem-just like i imagined it. seriously.

it looks like they might have fucking nailed this one.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    God damn ... this looks so good

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Okay, I admit it, I like the trailer. When the various groups first started posting about this remake, I was seriously skeptical about it. Of course, I have laced the original with nostalgia around some good memories of someone I cared about reading the book to me, then seeing the movie later. I don't know why I pretend like I'm not going to see it. Of course I will.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    that opening scene is stunning because it's-ahem-just like i imagined it. seriously.

it looks like they might have fucking nailed this one.
    God I hope so... IT is really maybe my favorite book of all time, and the childhood portion of it was always the strongest for me, and they're nailing so much of the tone in these teasers and this trailer... I might need to reread it again just to stave off the anticipation and hype-madness

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Benjamin Wallfisch is doing the score. No word on a soundtrack release yet, though, unfortunately.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    All this talk about the opening scene is just reminding me of something that came up in the press. Spoiler alert!

Spoiler: It's been revealed that Georgie's body isn't found in this movie. He vanishes and is presumed dead. I don't know what this means for the arm-ripping. It's a pretty iconic scene.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    All this talk about the opening scene is just reminding me of something that came up in the press. Spoiler alert!

Spoiler: It's been revealed that Georgie's body isn't found in this movie. He vanishes and is presumed dead. I don't know what this means for the arm-ripping. It's a pretty iconic scene.
    Yeah... I caught that too with the "what if another Georgie goes missing?" line... uh, I thought George was Spoiler: found half-stuff into a sewer drain with no arms...

I have seen some promo leaked shots from this movie that assure me they're going to take the content to the dark place it needs to be, but that image from the book is one of the most haunting things ever. To be honest, I'm gaining confidence with Andy as director... I like his opening style in Mama, it just flails out in the end... But I do get a feel that he sold himself to the studio as someone who "LOVED the book, and wants to do it justice" and worked with the retelling Fukunaga had made. Mama is enough to demonstrate he has the skill, let's see if he can make a great movie...

because tackling IT as your second major project is ballsy to say the least...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    he Fukunaga script draft I read was AWFUL, though. It was basically The Goonies with Pennywise appearing every ten pages.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    he Fukunaga script draft I read was AWFUL, though. It was basically The Goonies with Pennywise appearing every ten pages.
    From analysis it seems Cary had a strong emphasis to hold true to the book's sexual intensity... and that the studios said fuck this. Apparently there was a scene with the bullies jacking off on a birthday cake for the losers?

I understand what "that" scene accomplishes... it works in a book, sort of, but it still sucks. It's just unnecessarily "on the nose."

We didn't need a movie with the sexual traumatic themes smashing you in the face in the numbest way.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Apparently there was a scene with the bullies jacking off on a birthday cake for the losers?
    That definitely wasn't in the script I read, but I had heard about that (along with Beverley being regularly raped/abused by her father and his friends). There were a few sexual motifs thrown into the one I read, namely about Bev approaching puberty, but it wasn't a huge thing.