Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King's IT

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I actually completely agree with @Khrz about King's endings... A lot of the time he loses the pacing at the very end and then just blows everything up. He did it in his first book Carrie, he did it in The Shining, he did it in Needful Things, he did it in IT... and these are some of my favorite books of his.

If anything, one thing the movie version of The Shining improved massively was the ending. Super classy and iconic ending.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    No film adaptation is ever going to feature the gangbang scene, obviously. They're not gonna show a bunch of children having sex.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    No film adaptation is ever going to feature the gangbang scene, obviously. They're not gonna show a bunch of children having sex.

Maybe they'll reverse it and the adult versions of them in the latter half will do it.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    September 8, 2017 is the release date set for part 1:

http://www.cinemablend.com/m/new/Ste...te-126717.html

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Ummmmm ....

As a huge SK fan and It fan I can safely say the gangbang scene is the worst part of the entire book and is not well-done at all. It is, at best, in the most forgiving interpretation, an act of symbolism that in no way could translate well into another medium and is not essential at all. The same point -- that their innocence is gone and they're all growing up -- could be made in a far more nuanced way and a far less bizarre way. I'd be surprised if King himself considers it something that needs to be in a movie of it. I don't think it would work at all in a natural or compelling way, and definitely not unless they age up all the characters. I'd rather they just not do it.

All that said I'm sure this movie will suck anyway so I'm not terribly concerned what they do or do not do.
    This is - here comes the heresy - exactly why I came to despise the book and to this day far, far and away prefer the miniseries (Tim Curry, c'mon). I had a very hard time finishing it after that.

I love King's writing style but he just shits the bed when he comes to the endings. He can't stick the landing. The Stand would be one of my favorite books ever if not for that deus ex machina garbage at the end.

But every now and then I go back and give another of his works a shot. I've been thinking about finally checking out the Dark Tower books.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    I've been thinking about finally checking out the Dark Tower books.
    Do it. You'll finally get what all that turtle shit was about, among many other things. It's the epicenter of all of his books and ties everything together really, really beautifully overall (with some clunkiness at times, but, hey, a seven part series written over decades is bound to have something wonky here or there as far as I'm concerned). It's so fantastic and is the thing that really lifted my SK fandom from really passionate to a lifelong dedication.

Also if you've never read 11/22/63, do yourself a favor and pick a copy up. One of his five best of his entire life as far as I'm concerned. And he got advice from his son, Joe Hill, a very amazing writer on his own, on how to end it and it really shows. It's one of the best conclusions to anything he's written.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I like the make-up design, with the smile crawling up through his eyes... wonder what it looks like if he closes the lids.

Still, I'm not sold on this director. He's basically made one (short) movie, and then remade an American long version of it, and while I've never seen the original Mama, the remake wasn't some mind-blowing masterpiece. IT is the best horror novel I've ever read. It's disturbing on such an epic scale that they should only be handing this to someone who has already demonstrated they can handle the responsibility of adapting it to film. If you take away Tim Curry's great performance from the TV miniseries, you have one of the shlockiest, unintentionally-funny horror movies ever made. I almost want to say that the story is so good, you couldn't really fuck it up that bad, and then I remember that stupid miniseries.

I really want to believe this could be something great... but then I'm looking at the screenplay credits... some guy who did "uncredited rewrites" for Final Destination 5 and the Nightmare on Elm Street remake!!?! Seriously, the guy who wrote Annabelle?! They're teaming him up with another screenwriter who has written basically nothing?

What the hell is going on? It's like the production team basically said "Oh, let's remake that Tim Curry clown horror movie... have whomever whatshisname direct it, and screenplay? Uh, I dunno... do we even really need a screenplay? Hire some guy to jot together an R rated version of the miniseries. Just we need to spend a lot of time and be careful on who we cast as the scary spooky clown guy. We done here? Ok, great, let's bust out the cocaine."

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Basically, yeah, I'm afraid.

On the other hand, good fucking luck trying to explain how pennywise is such a cosmic threat, while also being a scary clown living in the sewers.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The first image looks cool, but yeah, the potential for hollywood to fuck this up is almost as scary as the novel itself. Is there an interview with the director about the movie out yet? I'd at least like to see if he "gets it" (no pun intended). In addition to the story being about adolescent development/lost innocence, etc., I've always thought it was just as much about Derry itself, and how It is a real part of the town's own identity going back in history.

Son of a bitch, the guy from True Detective would have been perfect for this, too...

Do you guys think, regardless of director/producer/actors, that this story can be adequately told over the course of 2 full-length films?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perceptionnexus View Post
    The first image looks cool, but yeah, the potential for hollywood to fuck this up is almost as scary as the novel itself. Is there an interview with the director about the movie out yet? I'd at least like to see if he "gets it" (no pun intended). In addition to the story being about adolescent development/lost innocence, etc., I've always thought it was just as much about Derry itself, and how It is a real part of the town's own identity going back in history.

Son of a bitch, the guy from True Detective would have been perfect for this, too...

Do you guys think, regardless of director/producer/actors, that this story can be adequately told over the course of 2 full-length films?
    Really depends on what you want to tell, and how much "fat" you want to cut off... You obviously can't delve into the history of Derry, the life of those kids in this town, the existence of It and It's interdimensional nature in 5 hours tops...

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    well, if they're on schedule, they should be wrapping up filming in the next couple weeks.
    new image of Pennywise in full costume, and the casting of the leper is making me optimistic.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I think he needs a gangsta grill and "damaged" tattooed across his forehead for authenticity.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I think he looks alright. I think it's the shitty lighting/pose that makes him look off. They should have took inspiration from all those creepy clown sightings that happened last year/year before last.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I think the further they get from the "Juggalo" look the better. Apparently the costume design was intended to make him look childish, like a doll, but from another era, which I think is kind of interesting. I like the idea of accentuating the "ancient" nature of his clownish personality. It strays from the book, or at least what I imagined while reading it, but they've already displaced the time period... so if the "losers club" arc doesn't take place in the fifties anymore (which is something I'm a little bummed about), having the traditional "American classic clown" look makes a little less sense.

Still not sure about the new 80s setting, but maybe it'll work for me, given that I grew up in the 80s... and it does seem like 80s nostalgia is a big thing now. For a story like this, I appreciate taking artistic license, as long as they pull it off.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 08-16-2016 at 01:46 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    I'll need to see another picture. The mouth is making me think of Squirrel Girl.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    The Losers:

One of the kids is from Stranger Things!
    Last edited by hellospaceboy; 08-22-2016 at 07:46 PM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Oh, and here are some behind the scenes videos:

http://screenrant.com/stephen-king-i...rs-club-leper/

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

"They float, Georgie, and when you’re down here with me, you’ll float, too."

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    how is it possible that this teaser was shown to a crowd at SXSW and nobody has uploaded a clip from it?

All reports are positive though, and even King has said that it's good, which is something he doesn't really do.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    King has said that it's good, which is something he doesn't really do.
    I vividly remember him saying the Dreamcatcher movie was gonna be great and that Under the Dome was in the hands of amazing people and would be worth following so it really is pretty scattershot on how much or how little he comments on adaptations of his work.

I want to look forward to this a lot but I'm not feeling the overtly generic horror imagery of Pennywise so far. I can't picture a little kid getting close to that storm drain if he looks like that from a distance. They'd be terrified. No way they'd go sticking their hand in.

I'm really holding off on judging this too much though until we get a trailer. It's not a novel I think anybody can adapt 100% properly and it gets messy enough in its third act that there's room kind of built in for adaptations to play around and improve, but the way Pennywise is being presented has me pretty hesitant.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I vividly remember him saying the Dreamcatcher movie was gonna be great and that Under the Dome was in the hands of amazing people and would be worth following so it really is pretty scattershot on how much or how little he comments on adaptations of his work.
    Yeah, some of his endorsements have been odd. I never saw the Dreamcatcher movie, but I hear it sucks. The book wasn't his best either.
    Loved the Under the Dome book, but I heard the show was terrible so I avoided it... don't want to tarnish my feelings about the book.

I just mean he's usually silent about this stuff, unless he hates it (like with Kubrick's version of The Shining).

Otherwise, he's said on other occasions that his favorite adaptations have been Misery, Stand By Me, and The Shawshank Redemption. Those were great.

It's true though, personal attachment to a project can really screw with how you'd see it through another person's eyes. I don't actually know how attached King is to IT. I would assume he at least views it as one of his best books. That's gotta mess up the way you feel about an adaptation. After all, he was all about praising that TV Miniseries version of The Shining, and sorry, that was crap.

I want to look forward to this a lot but I'm not feeling the overtly generic horror imagery of Pennywise so far. I can't picture a little kid getting close to that storm drain if he looks like that from a distance. They'd be terrified. No way they'd go sticking their hand in.
    To be fair, that scene was always surreal in that way. I actually assumed it was implied that Georgie was kind of a dim kid.

I did some dumb stuff when I was a kid, and luckily I'm still here, but I can promise you, if I saw Tim Curry dressed like a clown calling my name and offering me balloons from a storm drain, I'd have run away as fast as I could. A clown in the sewer is already terrifying for 99.9999% of people, young and old alike.

I haven't watched Hemlock Grove, the show Skaarsgard is in, but from what I've read he's exceptionally good at putting on a friendly face and then pulling a hideous and horrifying 180. That sounds good to me. I would imagine the still from that clip there is right after he flips the facade. I think it's spooky as hell.

Maybe I'm trying to remain optimistic. At the very least, my skepticism is helping to keep the hype at bay. Over-hyping anything will ruin it, even if the product turns out good.

I'm really holding off on judging this too much though until we get a trailer. It's not a novel I think anybody can adapt 100% properly and it gets messy enough in its third act that there's room kind of built in for adaptations to play around and improve, but the way Pennywise is being presented has me pretty hesitant.
    Same. Also, almost no novel can be truly adapted faithfully in accord with its source material. This is an extreme example of something like that, but maybe it will benefit from that impossibility (I don't want to see the ritual of CHUD scene even hinted at, unless they flip the script and have it involve the adults... though that would make no sense symbolically).

Actually, maybe it would. If the adults, who are joined together mainly because they were friends when they were young, orgy-down as a way to dispel the youthful nature of their adolescent connection, that might even make more sense than the original stupid scene in the book. God I hate that part of the book. If it weren't for those three pages, IT might be my favorite novel ever. Hell, maybe they can improve the ending while they're at it, and not just resort to blowing everything up... even though in this book's case it's almost an unnecessary joke inclusion; as if to say "haha, I do this all the time! Now, I don't need to, but haha!"

It's not even that I'm offended or grossed out by the scene (though I am), it's just that it is incredibly stupid. I'm not sure how you could tackle that, even if you changed it to the adults, and make it not unintentionally hilarious in a film rendition.

I remain cautiously optimistic that this might be good.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 03-26-2017 at 10:54 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    also, I feel there was some inference that Pennywise could hypnotize you more than charm you... that there was some kind of magical delirium once you were engaged. The kids don't straight up flee the Leper for instance. It was only when the horror of his affectations became so extreme that it seemed any of his impending victims were able to break the spell and run.

That the clown costume was a visual embodiment of the ruse in the entrapment... that it just "looks like a clown" because that's part of the appeal, that it isn't about what it looks like... what it truly looks like is unimaginably horrifying, and the clown is the mask, and part of the siren song.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Looks like we'll be getting a full trailer today then, which is exciting.
    Poster and teaser clip are on the official Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ITMovie/

Of course there's an absolutely huge chance that this will suck in every way, but I'm not losing hope yet. If they can get us to believe in the kids then that's half the battle. I was never that fond of the original miniseries, apart from Curry, obvs, so there's a lot hanging on this. At least we're probably due a good King adaptation, just by the law of averages.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

I'm floating, guys.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    please let this be good, please...

The teaser looks awesome... but...
    I'm newly reminded of why you hear all these filmmakers bemoan the difficulty of working with child actors. Kids generally are awful at delivering their dialog. I had some optimism in that regard when I heard they were casting one of the kids from Stranger Things, but listening to that voice over... "people die or disappear, six times the natural average..." I gotta admit, I cringed a bit.

This might be a story that I am just too personally attached to. Maybe nobody could really adapt it in a way that will leave me 100% satisfied...
    I'm still cautiously optimistic, and I really want to like it. I do love how they're taking some adventurous artistic license.

Also, speaking of dialog... what a horrible and cruel tease to finally see a trailer, and still not know what the new Pennywise's voice is going to sound like.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 03-29-2017 at 11:57 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Alright then. I was skeptical about this movie altogether, but after that trailer...it actually looks kinda dope. If nothing else I feel like it'll be VERY pretty looking.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Also, speaking of dialog... what a horrible and cruel tease to finally see a trailer, and still not know what the new Pennywise's voice is going to sound like.
    It is indeed cruel, but it only adds to the mystery of not knowing what you're going to get for once. Maybe they will throw a clip in another trailer down the road, but I like the fact that you really have no idea what he will sound like.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Okay, I'll admit it -- that was very reassuring. I'm a lot more interested after getting that glimpse. Bare minimum, the shots themselves seem gorgeous and wonderfully composed. I'm really hoping Pennywise gets to be more of a full character rather than just "scary lurking clown," but then again I'm sure they're holding off for a while (which is very refreshing). The shot of the sink scene really had me convinced that they're going to at least get some of the more iconic moments right enough that this'll be worth it as a fan of the novel.

I just really hope that they don't make it nothing but a horror movie and remember that the novel is mostly about the death of innocence, loss of adolescence, childhood trauma, friendship, and the eventual pain of nostalgia for it, knowing you can never get it back again, but maybe they'll explore that more in the sequel next year -- after all, it makes more sense that the adults would be the ones thinking of those things, rather than the children.