Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [WITH_TEETH]: 10th Anniversary Appreciation thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)

[WITH_TEETH]: 10th Anniversary Appreciation thread

With Teeth was released to the world 10 years ago today. Honor its memory with individual praise, reviews, complaints, testimonials, etc. as we celebrate a decade with this pivotal and important oeuvre from our Lord the savior, Trent Reznor.

Remember the build-up to this? That burning hot summer of 2004 as we watched him piece it together via a shitty, grainy webcam in the Nothing studios? How an album originally called Bleedthrough containing "12 good punches to the face" became [WITH_TEETH], "a collection of songs that are friends with each, but don't need to rely on each other to make sense"?

This album was released in the middle of what was probably the darkest period of time in my life. A near-two year journey from the bottom back to some kind of salvation/redemption that this album ended up soundtracking. I remember it leaking in the middle of April and trying in vain to not download it, burn it to CD and listen to it that day. I took it home, waited until everyone else in the house was asleep and I was alone at the computer in a silent house and playing it for the first time.

I remember not believing how much I loved All the Love In the World from the first time I heard it, and still to this day. How songs like You Know What You Are, Only, The Line Begins to Blur and Getting Smaller gave understanding to an adolescent anger I couldn't get my head around but was dealing with every day. Or the way I cried, after years of not believing I was able to cry anymore, when I heard Right Where It Belongs at the end of the record.

I love this fucking album. It has a timelessness to it few, if any, of his other albums can claim. TDS and The Fragile and Year Zero are the monster concept albums, but WT is its own animal. The emotion in this album is virtually tangible; how it sounds so simplistic and streamlined, but reveals itself to be intricate and layered with repeated listens. The raw, ugly emotion of "Love Is Not Enough" and "The Collector"; the beautiful centerpiece of the much-maligned title track, when Trent is whimpering "I can not go through this again..." as that beautiful piano/keyboard instrumental soothes you into lowering your defenses for a moment, before the whole thing explodes violently once more.

This is not my favorite album he's done, but I always get excited to hear the entire thing whenever I''m in the mood to hear it, which is very often. My only complaint with the album is that I wish he would have included "Non-Entity" in place of "Sunspots". I'm always amazed to hear how many people claim Sunspots as one of their favorite NIN songs. To me, it sounds like a good b-side that doesn't quite fit into the context of WT as a whole, the way Non-Entity does.

In essence, I can't believe it's been 10 years since this album was finally released and quite literally saved my life when I needed it saved most. I bitched endlessly, here and offline, for years about the hold-up between The Fragile and WT. But once I heard this, all was forgiven. Even to this day, this album resonates and guides me through trialsome periods, just like his other albums. This one holds a special place in my heart though. It was like a match lighting in a dark, dark tunnel to illuminate a friendly face I didn't recognize at first, but ended up leading me back towards the light.

I own like six different versions of this album, in various formats. All money well spent.

Thank you, Trent, for making such awesome music and sharing with the world this most excellent of albums!
    Last edited by Prettybrokenspiral; 05-02-2015 at 11:55 PM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    That 10 years went by so fast. Will we receive a 10th anniversary edition with Not So Pretty Now and Non-Entity added to the mix?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    That 10 years went by so fast. Will we receive a 10th anniversary edition with Not So Pretty Now and Non-Entity added to the mix?
    Probably in about 20 years or so.

I first heard a few of these songs at a warm up club gig in London, the song 'with teeth' was thunderous. I think it's much maligned

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    The With Teeth lyric poster is one of my favorite pieces of memorabilia from any band. I love having it on my wall.

This is one of the only NIN albums that I listen to on a regular basis, no matter what mood I'm in. I wouldn't necessarily call it my favorite - I don't know which album is - but it's one of the ones I listen to the most. I remember THTF being the first NIN song I ever heard on the radio, way back in, like, 2006. And even though they usually signal the end of the fun at a NIN concert, I always, always love hearing THTF and Only live.

Here's hoping something might come out to commemorate the milestone.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    It's fucking scary how the vast majority of those words -- even the fragments that aren't on the album -- speak to me.
    I love those snippets of lyrics not on the album, they're quite disturbing actually

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    That must mean Ive been around here for over 10 years.... Holy shit!

It was a good time to be a fan. NDont listen to it much nowadays, but a select few tracks om theor still rock my world. Still remember that first show very well.

More than anything, that With Teeth brought me here, scouring for leaks, is probably the best thing to come of it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    WT-era still has the best artwork Rob has ever done.

WT was not my first NIN album, but it was the album which brought me to NINternet. God bless it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    WT-era still has the best artwork Rob has ever done.
    Totally agree, I got massively into the visual concept behind this album. I still have a folder on a hard drive somewhere with all the hi res images and posters and stuff that were around at the time, love it.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    weird era. sober Trent. buffed out Trent. no robin. no danny. no clouser. what was with that emo haircut TR? whos this idiot running around onstage twirling his guitar like hes eddie van halen? twiggy is on bass? why is trent singing high pitch falsetto in the first song? hated the record when it first came out. me and my fragile loving friends said it was the death of NIN. altho first time i heard 'the hand that feeds' i proclaimed it the 2k5 version of head like a hole. i still stand by that. saw a club show spring 05 and was surprised at how much energy TR had, checked out the record again and started to dig it.......it def aint my fav NIN album, but its still a neat little NIN rock record...

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    @NYRexall - you put the cover for the tour edition / dual disc in the first post.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    What a crazy ten years it's been. I still remember rushing to the record store down the road from my college apartment to pick up a copy first thing in the morning, despite having the leak.

I think it's aged very well. I've been sort of ambivalent towards it for most of the last ten years, but I've found myself listening to it a lot over the last year. Personally, it feels like it's TR's most "personal" album.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I liked this album a lot, it's a fine example of when album is much more than its songs combined even though there isn't a "story" to them, i don't think there is a "throwaway" song here.
    Didn't get it on release date, didn't quite pay attention because may-june was hot time for a student, but i remember clearly how i got the CD on August, 3rd.
    When i removed cellophane from the CD, it appeared so cheap in its design: no booklet, almost monochrome printing, and the songs not listed on the outside, almost like production error of sorts.
    But the sound was massive, it made sense to let music speak for itself, and it's equally fitting for both jumping around headbanging and sitting still absorbing every sound separately.
    The album had a sticker saying roughly this: "New grand work by NIN is Trent Reznor's solid response to all who mixed him with dirt over ten years, the deafeing roaring guitars, tragic vocals, genius soundscapes all make impression of a machine spilling human sweat and blood". Sorta ridiculous on paper but not far from truth, right?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Its by far the most polarising thing he ever did for me. Some years I have hated it, some years I have really liked it.
    Overall I really liked the stripped down more raw thing he was going for. The Collector, Sunspots, Getting Smalller are all brilliant tunes.
    Biggest issue with this album, Trent sounds full of fear and is trying to find himself but is lost and sounds like he is holding back. With Year Zero he was able to let go and went full throttle, but this album sounds like a sort of weird purgatorial stepping stone. But yeah i will probably never come to an overall conclusion with this album, some days i do really love the vibe though.
    It was a very odd era for NIN.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Far from my favorite album, but I still think it's fantastic overall. With Teeth (along with Year Zero) were the first NIN albums I listened to all the way through, so it's a bit near and dear to my heart.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    With Teeth was the very first Nine Inch Nails album I actually waited for, and the very first NIN era I've had first-hand experience with on Echoing the Sound and The NIN Hotline. I kept playing this trailer over and over in sheer excitement and anticipation. I was so psyched because that particular part of Beside You In Time reminded me of Eraser.

With that being said, it's still one of my most favorite albums Nine Inch Nails has released after The Fragile. All The Love In The World and Every Day Is Exactly The Same instantly won me over and they're both among my most favorite songs from With Teeth too.

And like what I did with the Pretty Hate Machine and The Fragile anniversary threads, I also thought that I'd do the honors of posting With Teeth's music videos as well.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 05-03-2015 at 11:19 AM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    As with every NIN record it took some time for me to appreciate it, but I love it unconditionally now. It might be more simple in structure, but that doesn't make it any less of a great album. I personally have it in my top 4 Nine Inch Nails records. Highlights for me are You Know What You Are for that crazy drumming and overall energy, Right Where It Belongs for lyrics and overall theme and Sunspots and Line Begins to Blur because they are just fucking great songs musically. I honestly don't think this album have a weak or "that one you always skip" song.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Remember all the teaser clips?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I still kinda wish we ended up getting Bleedthrough, though.
    @Leviathant - What I remember most is people screeching that the BYIT excerpt was actually played backwards for the teaser. "NO, THIS IS HOW IT REALLY SOUNDS."
    Last edited by slave2thewage; 05-03-2015 at 01:25 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I think I went to a listening party at some shitty club in Underground Atlanta to hear this first (or maybe get free goodies... I can't remember the specifics). I don't recall that first impression, but I do remember being mesmerized by the BYIT teaser and so very excited to get a new NIN album.
    Last edited by FULLMETAL; 05-03-2015 at 02:57 PM. Reason: typo.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    I think I went to a listening party at some shitty club in Underground Atlanta to hear this first (or maybe get free goodies... I can't remember the specifics). I don't recall that first impression, but I do remember being memorized by the BYIT teaser and so very excited to get a new NIN album.
    I was at that party as well. The club wasn't that great either though it was exciting to hear the album in that high volume.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    I went to the Chicago listening party and admit I was a bit worried when ATLITW opened. I've warmed up to it since and really liked the rest of the album. What Trent did was successfully reinvent himself yet again. And not since WT have songs from an album sounded better played live (with the exception of EDIETS). Year Zero comes close to sounding better live, but not quite.
    Oh, and we got the best live NIN guitarist we've ever had in Aaron North. It's a damn shame about what happened to him. The guy was talented.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Now we know where Trent got the idea for Survivalism music video

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    This has become one of my top 3 NIN albums. No doubt.

I remember buying this when I was much younger as a kid. I'd been kinda sorta aware of NIN, as much as you can be when all you get are central Florida radio stations to tell you what music exists, and maybe if you catch MTV in the early morning where they were still playing videos (I didn't even have access to the internet at my own house until I was maybe fourteen). I'd always loved what I'd heard. I was standing in an FYE (an absurdly over-priced awful media store if you've not had the misfortune of going to one) and had the small amount of money kids often have. I saw the NIN section and found With Teeth used, cheap enough for my price range. I had no idea about albums at the time. I had no idea about most music at the time. I didn't even really notice the title, just that this had the logo on the front in giant letters so it had to be a good one (kid logic). It also said parental advisory, so picking it up was a rush as a kid with a conservative single mom who edited the VHS tape of Jurassic Park we had growing up to replace all swear words with a random preaching channel. I managed to make it out of the store with it, and excitedly went to listen to it. And, I couldn't. It was scratched to all shit. Every song skipped like a Self Destruction remix. I had to take it back. They only gave in store credit. I think I got a Neil Young greatest hits album or something.

Years later when the internet became a thing for me I discovered music far more broadly than I could before, and discovered NIN for good. With Teeth was the album I already had some memory of, at least of the artwork. I had seen the Only video on TV before and at the time hadn't seen something quite like it. I had started to binge on all things NIN, not knowing it'd become the obsession of my life. With Teeth resounded a lot with me. It just was easier to access, it was entertaining, it was interesting, it was a lot of things I loved. Right Where It Belongs blew me away. I'd grown up in a real musical bubble where other than Christian rock music I wasn't exposed to terribly much and for a few years the most I could discover depended on what kids around me listened to (and most of it sucked). This was something I'd never heard before.

Of course I then went on to inhale The Downward Spiral and The Fragile and all other amazing things NIN and dived into interviews and transcripts and internet archives and Meathead and trivia and liner notes and B-sides and live only tracks and the Broken Movie and just got lost in the world of NIN for a long time (I still am really). The Year Zero ARG ate away a good week or two of my life as I went through all the sites and browsed old info and discussion and became obsessed with it. Reflecting In the Chrome must have consumed the vast majority of bandwith used in my house the first month I found it. With Teeth was still an album I listened to, but it wasn't prominent and, with it's fairly low-key art, less ornate and massive soundscapes, and general lack of favor amongst fans, I just lost track of it.

This past year happened for me. As a lot of people here know I dealt with a lot of relationship issues. More shit came out. Etc. This year that relationship finished for good quite recently. I have my own list of problems and they don't really need to get detailed yet again as I often seem to do in my longer NIN discussion posts. The important part is, I've been going through a rough time in my life. Childhood abuse keeps coming back to light mentally and being an issue. My depression and anxiety keep amping up each time I think I'm "better." I'm pretty isolated. And I've been listening to With Teeth constantly. More than any other NIN album in fact. It's become the thing I listen to when I don't know what else to listen to. It's become the thing I listen to when I know what I want to listen to. It's been there. Themes of frustration, questioning yourself, self-doubt, realizing that love doesn't make everything okay and fixed, attempting to fix things and it failing, tiring out from repetitive cycles of addiction/mental illness, wanting to move past your problems yet realizing your problems are extensions of yourself, and can you ever escape yourself?, resentment and anger and loneliness and a constant urge to just get right past, just develop just a little further, maybe reach that thing just an inch away from your fingertips and maybe it'll all be okay -- nope, that didn't fix a goddamn thing now did it?, feeling like you're not as sure of yourself as you used to be and maybe not even caring, not having the energy to, all just fill this album to the brim. It's one of the most grim things Trent's made that isn't about killing yourself. There's no real moment of suicide here. Not a physical one at least. It's an emotional one, a social one, one born of isolation and self-defeat. Can I really do this? Am I really all alone this time around? I want to move past my problems yet they actually became comforting fall backs in their own fucked up ways, what am I left with to cling to now? Can I be okay being me? Will anyone care? If love and affection and new forms of dependency won't compensate for the old ones, what will? Why do I keep latching on to anything I delude myself into thinking will fix things if none of it ever will? There's a running worry of self-defeat. Of dying inside or dying on the outside where you don't matter. Being truly erased as your world gets smaller every day (and that's okay).

Musically I don't think Trent's ever hit these notes before and sure hasn't attempted to after. It's such a different thing. It's got a raw approach that maybe something like The Slip mirrors, but the instruments themselves being mostly organic make that rawness count much more. There's a dirtiness, a layer of grime to it that pollutes the surface level of it all. There's a sense of build-up, of collection and accumulation. It mirrors the lyrics pretty well. It has its rock trappings, but it has a lot of "standard NIN" affair as well. There are synths and sounds and things placed beneath the mix as always. It's just not being thrown in your face the whole time. It's not the focus, it's an addition. These songs are very much about the core central focus, not about the outer shell wrapped around them, and it's easy to maybe not even pay attention to the rest because of that. The great thing is the core aspects are all fantastic. The surroundings are great too. It's really dichotomous throughout. It's minimal, it's dense, it's sparse, it's packed, it's about songs standing on their own and not needing the ones around them, it has some of the greatest sequencing in NIN's catalog (we all know what the standout sequence is but to just be clear I'm talking that final stretch of the last four songs, though some just mention the final three; regardless of Sunspots' inclusion, there's a flow there, a buildup and release, a catharsis found in softened, deadened vocals being drowned by audience noise and electro vibrations until finally cooing out that can't be gotten anyplace else anyway else). It's about self-defeat, it's about self-accomplishment. Trent's not on drugs anymore. Trent's not drinking anymore. The depression didn't go away though. The emptiness those things served to fill is still there. Why are they still there? Will they ever be full?

Those questions to me define "modern" NIN. With Teeth asks them out of a place of loneliness, where you lost your crutches but now you have nothing to help you walk. You're stuck, by yourself, with nothing left to show (no, no, I didn't think so), covered in lies and beneath the surface maybe not so tough. The Slip asks them out of a place of creative success, where you've proven that you're still viable but does it really help at all? Hesitation Marks asks it out of a place where you're "supposed" to be better because now you're not alone, now you have a family, you have success and recognition and all of the things a grown adult is supposed to strive for, but you still have those moments where you get lost in the static of your own head. With Teeth is the first to blow the doors open for those future albums.

It's a soft, fragile, self-doubting album hidden beneath a mask of a loud, certain, aggressive and resentful album. For all the posturing and aggression and massive drum beats, loud guitars, chant-like shouts directed at the looming "you" in NIN's lyrics, it all keeps folding back in on itself and revealing that truth. Maybe you wouldn't be so resentful of people you think get all the love in the world if you didn't feel so unloved yourself. Maybe you wouldn't be so angry at the external if you weren't so angry with the internal. All of that outward frustration is just a manifestation of inward frustration. Caught in monotony, caught in oh-so predictable cycles of self-defeat. Everyday is exactly the same because you are exactly the same. How do you grow past this? How do you find more? How do you get that security? If love isn't enough, what is? If we don't think we can go through this again, what will happen to us when we have to?

There aren't any answers. I've mentioned before on here that that's what I love a lot about NIN's lyrics. Trent isn't pretending to know. Trent's just asking the same things I am, or you are, or lots of others are. He's asking these questions and seeking for answers just like everyone else and isn't talking down as if he knows better. These aren't self-help books, they're more guides to self-exploration. Do we ever really have the answers to these things? With Teeth isn't focused on telling. It's focused on asking. It's focused on exploring. It's focused on expressing all of those themes and questions and emotions through vocals that go from some of the loudest shouts Trent's ever delivered to some of the softest, most resigned cries he's ever yelped out. The title track is an over-looked fucking gem. It sums the album up. Loud and bombastic, soft and defeated. Beautiful and ugly. Angry and melancholy. Most of all, confused, frustrated, wanting to be let go by an extension of yourself. That piano interlude is so gorgeous. That massive blast back into the world you finally escaped that seems louder and more intimidating than ever after you just said you can't go through it again is so impacting. It's terrifying. That's where this album is at. That's the head-space it seems to explore so well. And I love it.

With Teeth is an incredible album. It was an incredible era for NIN. The live shows from those tours seem like they were some of the greatest. I wish I could have been there for that build up. I wish I could have been there for that tour. I wish I could have been there for the tease and release. But then again I get to look back on all of it and digest it as a whole retrospective experience. Maybe it's all right where it belongs. (Sorry, I had to.) This whole album expresses things in a beautiful, concerted chaos no other NIN album had done or has done. It's special beyond belief to me. There's so much more I could say about it. There's so much I feel like I've not expressed. This is already too fuckin' long though. If you made it this deep in, thanks for reading. Much like the album expresses, I just feel like there's that little piece I haven't added that if I did it would all come together, but I just don't know what it is. That single addition that will make the pieces form the whole. If only I knew what it was.
    Last edited by implanted_microchip; 05-03-2015 at 06:07 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    kid with a conservative single mom who edited the VHS tape of Jurassic Park we had growing up to replace all swear words with a random preaching channel
    that's some dedication

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I forgot about that BYIT teaser! I remember waiting HOURS on 56k for that thing to download, and I just watched it over and over again.

I didn't love it when it first came out, but somehow Year Zero helped me to understand the direction he was trying to go in, and now WT is one of my all time favorite albums. It was also my first new album as an NIN fan.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    You know, a song on this album that I didn't really understand or like and just let pass right through my ears was Beside You In Time.

I listened to With Teeth and Year Zero a number of times when I was about 16 or 17, and it's funny that even when getting into very experimental, drone, and ambient music like Throbbing Gristle, I still didn't catch onto most of the songs (realize how unique they were), especially the very droning, hypnotizing, drum ducking groove of Beside You In Time.

This is a song that I really appreciate now because you could almost call it drone music, but it has more than most that fit under that category. The persistent beat that sucks the sounds inward on every hit is one thing that stands out, also I find that the song builds to the point of "epic-ness" (quite profound towards the end), and as part of that, a few different chord progressions and vocal harmonies are introduced.

Not sure if this is my favorite song on the album but it's really kool.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Isn't funny how when Trent finally broke his rule about there being no (distinguishable) photos of him in album art, it had to be RIGHT when he had an instantly regrettable emo haircut? WT definitely isn't my favorite NIN record, but I tried it in surround last week for the first time in ages and it was really fun listen. I wish surround wasn't so niche, because it works so wonderfully for NIN.

Edit:

...fuck, that BYIT teaser is just as goosebumps-inducing as ever. Still gets me. I can't overstate how powerful that chord progression felt after not hearing new NIN for years. It ended up being the song I looked forward to hearing most, and despite having overplayed that teaser to death, the actual track still sounded so fresh and unique and incredible. It remains by far the best song on the album in my opinion.

Also, remember that time Trent said With Teeth (or Bleedthrough) wouldn't use chords? Haha. Oh, Trent.
    Last edited by howdidislipinto; 05-03-2015 at 06:29 PM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    Isn't funny how when Trent finally broke his rule about there being no (distinguishable) photos of him in album art, it had to be RIGHT when he had an instantly regrettable emo haircut?
    I found that really weird too.