Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: [WITH_TEETH]: 10th Anniversary Appreciation thread

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I don't remember ever disliking this album; just being surprised at how different it seemed from what I expected.

ATLITW will also take me right back to sitting in my first (and only) on campus housing; listening to that song on repeat instead of giving in to listening to the full stream on the bands MySpace page.
    I remember shaking as I frantically tried - and eventually succeeded - buying tickets for my brother to go see them in a theater another state, even though I'd still never seen them myself.
    I remember my first full listen to the album being in the car, and the end of the last track came at the exact moment I pulled into the driveway at night, and being in awe of how perfectly timed it was.
    And I remember the feeling of standing in front of the stage the next year, finally seeing them for the first time - not just in the audience, but to work the show for the newspaper.

Just because it's not my favorite NIN album, that doesn't mean I don't love it. Still really dig quite a few songs from this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I remember my first full listen to the album being in the car, and the end of the last track came at the exact moment I pulled into the driveway at night, and being in awe of how perfectly timed it was.
    Best way to describe this and every NIN album; your own personal self-aware soundtrack.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    like @Swykk i also went to the chicago listening party at the metro. i remember that it started raining outside and my friend who had come with me, this random guy in line who had been hitting on me the whole time, and his friend all tried to squeeze under my umbrella. it was...awkward. and then, because my pants were wet, the spot where i leaned against the wall once we got inside rubbed paint off onto my ass, so it turned blue :|

the day of its release, i dressed up super goth and drove all the way down to the tower records that used to be in lincoln park, expecting there to be a big line (especially because they said they were doing a special release party). little did i know, that release party was at midnight the night before. so i waited outside for over an hour for an employee to show up and let me in, and i picked up the album on vinyl and dualdisc (they had run out of standard CDs so i had to go to a different store later in the day). it was a weird day.

anyway, i loved the album when i heard it at the listening party, and i still love it. i've never been too hot on sunspots, and i still think that the EL-P remix of only is far superior to the original, but it's such a great album overall. i wish i had taken better care of my lyrics poster (it's gotten pretty fucked up banging around my old bedroom at my parents' house, which is where i record music/have band practices).

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I think WT has some great songs, but also some really bad ones. It doesn't really flow as an "album", though to be fair it wasn't meant to be one. I enjoy listening to it a lot, albeit only when sequenced in my own order.

Still hoping they'll release all the unreleased stuff from that era (like... the follow up that got scrapped for YZ) one day.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I bought this one on my way to grandmother's funeral, reading the song names in the car. Right Where It Belongs still fascinates me lyrically. Silent part of With Teeth is mesmerizing. I believe I can see the future. And I don't really care.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'll say it here...
    The Downward Spiral
    Broken
    With Teeth...
    My definitive NIN releases that I can sit back and listen all the way through.
    With Teeth is one of my favorite NIN albums... the last NIN album that I can sit through.
    Trent switched up his sound to a more computer-glitch style that I just don't really connect with.
    Haven't really enjoyed anything else since, except for a track or two here and there.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    SUNSPOTS!!

That is all.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    No

NON-ENTITY!!

THAT is all.
    That song wasn't even on the album!! But, I do agree, one of the better songs from that era. I actually remember asking Trent during the meet and greet if he had plans of doing a studio version of that song for a future release. I forget what he said, but he mumbled something along the line of if the opportunity comes up, but there wasn't any plans for it.

Too bad he never released "Message to no one" and "The life you didn't lead" for the 10th anniversary of this. I am still dying to hear both those "B-sides" from this era.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Haha you didn't read my initial post. It'll make more sense then
    lol, totally caught me red handed, and now I see why you replied the way you did originally, haha.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Does anyone think they framed their With Teeth poster in a way that turned out particularly well (that's also easily duplicatable)? I think I'd like to dig mine out of storage and put it up somehow.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    this album is so good. all of the tracks are PERFECT. and yes, SUNSPOTS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Yeah that teaser with 'besides you in time' completely blew me away. I was so fucking excited for with teeth from that. The fade in drone into the machine beat....then the drone starts going in time with the beat, right into an epic jam with the NIN logo coming together.....that was huge. And then they had that page that gave us like 30 seconds of 'the hand that feeds' and 'the line begins to blur'. I was so stoked to hear BYIT and TLBTB, and then i see they are right next to each other in the track listing. My first listen of it was something special and that album will always have a special place in my life. From the suprising opener to finally hearing the aforementioned tracks (crossfaded together!), it was awesome. Not my favorite NIN album, but the build up and anticipation got me even more excited for it than for the build up before the fragile. Definitely some of his best work. I do skip some songs though and wish those songs wouldve been replaced with 'non entity' and 'home'.

Then seeing the first chicago club date....my god what an awesome time in my life. The day it came out a buddy and i sat in front of my speakers, lit one up, and listened to it twice in its entirety. Good times man, good times. I also love sunspots. The live version is even better. (those chorus drums!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    That song wasn't even on the album!! But, I do agree, one of the better songs from that era. I actually remember asking Trent during the meet and greet if he had plans of doing a studio version of that song for a future release. I forget what he said, but he mumbled something along the line of if the opportunity comes up, but there wasn't any plans for it.

Too bad he never released "Message to no one" and "The life you didn't lead" for the 10th anniversary of this. I am still dying to hear both those "B-sides" from this era.
    Just in case you aren't aware, the studio version of Non Entity was released on the NIN|JA tour sampler along with Not So Pretty Now.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Also...

I absolutely LOVE the WT tour rehearsal session that was leaked years back. It sounds raw as fuck, and there are some great deep cuts in there. Even Aaron sounds good here. Maybe because I don't have to actually see him. I love putting this on when I go for a jog or similar exercise. Gets the blood flowing

Jeordie and Aaron singing back up vocals on 'Eraser' is adorable, too
    Totally agree, those rehearsal sessions were THE BEST! I remember ETS going bonkers over those when they were being leaked. Don't remember the name of the member that was releasing them, but I'm so glad they did. For the longest time, it was my "go to" track for a live version of All the Love in the world. Til the song actually got played live that is.

Too bad The Perfect Drug rehearsal song never got leaked, I want to hear what that song sounds like live so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeazor View Post
    Just in case you aren't aware, the studio version of Non Entity was released on the NIN|JA tour sampler along with Not So Pretty Now.
    Huh, you're right... I should know this. I know I downloaded the sampler back when that tour hit, in fact, I still have that Street Sweeper song "Clap for the killers" on my ipod. But for some reason the studio version on Non-Entity is nowhere to be found on my PC or ipod. Hmm...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    ... Don't remember the name of the member that was releasing them, but I'm so glad they did.....

FORGET MOFOBOY25

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Huh, you're right... I should know this. I know I downloaded the sampler back when that tour hit, in fact, I still have that Street Sweeper song "Clap for the killers" on my ipod. But for some reason the studio version on Non-Entity is nowhere to be found on my PC or ipod. Hmm...
    My iPhone/iTunes doesn't show up under Nine Inch Nails. It does show up under "songs" though. Did you try that?...

It never seems to shuffle Non-Entity too, so...

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post

FORGET MOFOBOY25
    I wouldn't forget him if he didn't drop off the face of the planet and stop posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    My iPhone/iTunes doesn't show up under Nine Inch Nails. It does show up under "songs" though. Did you try that?...

It never seems to shuffle Non-Entity too, so...
    It was easier to just re-download the sampler than go searching for the song. Now that I'm listening to it again, this doesn't sound familiar at all. I know I must have heard this version before, or maybe I am just so used to hearing the other versions, that this one sounds off to me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    With Teeth is one of my favorite NIN album, although they almost all are anyway.

I became a fan right before it was released, I didn't had time to fully appreciate TDS or The Fragile to their fullest. I was ready for With Teeth and I loved it. I kept listening on repeat for weeks and weeks.

I would say that The Collector, Love is not enough and With Teeth are my least favorite tracks. And I absolutely love the last 3 tracks, ATLITW, The Hand That Feeds, EDIETS, AND Getting Smaller.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Are you talking about the PDF/Spiral members one with the lyrics? It was impossible for me to find a frame size in a retail store that could accommodate the gargantuan dimensions of that thing. I had to get it custom framed, which was pricey (but worth it). It wouldn't even fit in my car; I had to load it into the back of a friend's SUV and have them deliver it to my place
    I am talking about the lyrics poster, sorry for not clarifying. Yeah, I figured it would be a difficult process, that's why I was curious if anyone had found a simple (and hopefully also awesome) solution. I custom framed my Wiltern/final shows poster but I don't think I could afford it again for the WT poster.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Non-Entity sounds off?

Those drums tho. And that piano
    Studio version sounds off, my friend.

This will always be my go to version of Non-Entity. It's my favorite version. Just love how simple and stripped down it is.

And wow, has video quality over the years ever improved drastically! That video is like impossible to watch in 2015... It's all murky looking.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I confess I did not know this Non-Entity song (and the other one). I like it, but during listen, my mind kinda switches/expects something different:

(...)
    Missing in a maze of monochrome
    How did I get here
    ...AND ALL THAT COULD HAVE BEEN

The echoes in my eyes
    Of all they used to see
    Burning down the world
    IN THE GREAT BELOOOOW

:-) Maybe Trent also felt there is "too much" similarity with existing song(s) to not include it on the album...?

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I guess we differ completely on this. The stripped-down version does next to nothing for me. Sounds nearly identical to Lights In The Sky, which does little for me as well.

Much prefer the studio version. It's got that seething sense of dread and despair that is complimentary with the With Teeth album stuff
    You know what's interesting/funny - I actually really enjoy Lights In The Sky as well, heh. So I guess it's no surprise that I like the stripped down version of Non-Entity better than it's studio or full band live version.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Yeah im going to go with the studio version. I LOVE the stripped down version but as someone said before, THOSE DRUMS!! And the way he sings the chorus, its like the last time we will ever hear his voice that high pitched. Sounds like PHM trent recorded that part. Love it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    Yeah im going to go with the studio version. I LOVE the stripped down version but as someone said before, THOSE DRUMS!! And the way he sings the chorus, its like the last time we will ever hear his voice that high pitched. Sounds like PHM trent recorded that part. Love it.
    I thought the studio versions of "Not So Pretty Now" and "Non-Entity" had vocals that were recorded not long before their release?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    I thought the studio versions of "Not So Pretty Now" and "Non-Entity" had vocals that were recorded not long before their release?
    I really dont know, it just sounds like 90's trent singing. I would guess it was done during the with teeth sessions.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    I really dont know, it just sounds like 90's trent singing. I would guess it was done during the with teeth sessions.
    I just listened to it again. It definitely sounds like pre-Year Zero Trent. Also, the NINWiki page lists this: "This studio-recorded version finally saw the light of day on March 20, 2009, when it was included on the NINJA 2009 Summer Tour Sampler EP. Slow and groove-oriented, its instrumentation is simple, maintaining use of live drums, bass, guitar andp vocals. It features a prominent whine similar to the one used in 'Home,' and is structured much like 'The Line Begins To Blur,' though Reznor does not yell during the verses. Its original recording dates back to the With Teeth sessions, as this was the only time Dave Grohl recorded drum tracks for the band." It seems I was definitely mistaken.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I can't believe it's been 10 years, i remember that With_Teeth was the first album i uploaded into my very first Ipod!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    That doesn't make a whole lot of sense though. Trent sat on finished instrumental versions of those tracks for four years, then decided to record the vocals right before he released them?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Have to say I was on a NIN hiatus when this was released, however I bought it as I do with everything else and I was a bit nonplussed. Over the years though it's revealed it's charms to me and warmed my cockles enough for me to enjoy a listen from time to time.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Happy anniversary With Teeth! This 40 oz Steel Reserve I drink to thee!