Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: [WITH_TEETH]: 10th Anniversary Appreciation thread

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostaustin View Post
    Beside You In Time is waaaay more trippy without vocals
    Besides You In Time is my favorite With Teeth track...
    probably one of my favorite all time NIN tracks

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostaustin View Post
    Beside You In Time is waaaay more trippy without vocals
    Agreed. It's like the finale to a movie.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Besides You In Time is my favorite With Teeth track...
    probably one of my favorite all time NIN tracks
    Same. However, I like the way the live arrangement cuts the middle instrumental length before the big explosion. It's a little overlong on the album (even though I like drone music a lot, it still feels anti-climactic compared to the "priority version" used live).

Always thought it'd be a killer opener, too, if followed by a fast in-your-face song (like "You Know What You Are?").

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Always thought it'd be a killer opener, too, if followed by a fast in-your-face song (like "You Know What You Are?").
    It was. At least, a snippet of it here back during the WT tour. Beside You In Time (Intro).

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I need to go put BYIT on again, activate subtitles, and screencap the moment where it says "AND WITH THE TEETH UH".

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    It was. At least, a snippet of it here back during the WT tour. Beside You In Time (Intro).
    That intro never segued into 'YKWYA.' Only 'Love Is Not Enough' and 'The Frail.'

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    That's what I mean, though. The intro is meh. Full song has that build and payoff you need to open a show!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Now that there's no flipping and flopping, the rest of you guys can safely fall in love with Getting Smaller.

Jesus H. Christ, it sounds amazing.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Microwave Jellyfish View Post
    Now that there's no flipping and flopping, the rest of you guys can safely fall in love with Getting Smaller.

Jesus H. Christ, it sounds amazing.
    i always loved that song, flip flops and all...it's not like he was wearing them with socks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm so freaking excited that he released this instrumentally. I love this album (as I'm sure I stated somewhere previously), and it really doesn't get a whole lot of love. Really, you can compare the Fragile re-release thread to this concerning the shear about of hype related to the goodies TR released this week and the Fragile wins outright. And that's totally okay!

I hope he puts up Non-Entity, Not-So Pretty Now, Home, and Right Where It Belongs v2 on there, instrumentally or otherwise. I wonder if we'll see some unreleased gems from this era. The first two songs are pretty obscure, so maybe he'll give them a proper release.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Non Entity and NSPN totally need to be on there. Obviously putting them out to be easily available to everyone (WT DE?) would be good too, but those tracks are so good and ninja2009 went down in 2010

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Same. However, I like the way the live arrangement cuts the middle instrumental length before the big explosion. It's a little overlong on the album (even though I like drone music a lot, it still feels anti-climactic compared to the "priority version" used live).
    This exactly. WTF why would he cut out the second build up? Was it too much for a live setting? Sounds so great live, i wish it was done the album way.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i always loved that song, flip flops and all...it's not like he was wearing them with socks
    Me too. I was flip-flop-flipping at the top of my voice earlier today. My head may also have been on a spring at some point.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    As soon as you beat yourselves with your one good arm, I'll consider y'all a lost cause, guys.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    As soon as you beat yourselves with your one good arm, I'll consider y'all a lost cause, guys.
    I figured it was a metaphor, like he can still write his soul out into nin songs, but he might not be as good anymore because he's damaged, he can beat himself up but not with the force he used to. That was his fear with WT wasn't it, that he wasn't as good anymore now he was clean?

Or another interpretation could be that he has a good arm and a bad arm - the bad arm being the one he ODd through.

Or maybe I overanalyse.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I always thought it was a way to acknowledge that for all your skills and qualities, sometimes things are too FUBAR for those to do jack shit. You've still got your one good arm (that's a baseball expression, right ? Old pitchers bragging that they still have their one good arm ?), but it's so useless anyway that you might as well use it to punch yourself in the face.
    Last edited by Khrz; 07-02-2015 at 04:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Non Entity and NSPN totally need to be on there. Obviously putting them out to be easily available to everyone (WT DE?) would be good too, but those tracks are so good and ninja2009 went down in 2010
    Yeah, when I was rebuilding my NIN collection, these tracks were tricky to find. A new deluxe edition (be it Apple Music exclusive or whatever) would be rad though.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Hopefully not Apple Music exclusive so that everyone can actually get it lol. And if it could throw in the cut WT/Bleedthrough tracks (The Warning, The Life You Didn't Lead, Message to No One, My Dead Friend), would be rather nice too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Late to the party on this, but reading through all the entries and watching the clips made me nostalgic. I used to lurk this forum a long time ago under a different name, and I remember that period of time in mid-2004 through 2005 when rumors were rampant about the new NIN album. I remember streaming that shitty web cam feed to see what they were up to in the studio, and I also remember when someone called their studio posing as a reporter. After they caught on, they posted the person’s phone number with a message that said something like “Thirteenth caller wins.” I don’t remember exactly, but it was pretty funny stuff.

I remember when THTF leaked and the hotline exploded. People were calling radio stations all over the country to request it. When TLBTB leaked, people swore it wasn’t a mastered version because of the difference between verse and chorus.
    I managed to score a pair of tickets to see them live at the Electric Factory in Philly a couple of weeks after the album dropped. It was my first time seeing them live, and it just so happened to be the show where Trent lost his shit over his microphone cutting out. The famous “Something’s gonna get broken!” clip is from that show. May 19th, 2005.

I was a fan of NIN before this album—The Fragile was my introduction—but this one remains in my top three. Like others here, I’ve got a personal connection to With Teeth. I didn’t really connect with the record right away like I did with The Fragile or TDS. It didn’t really hit me until a year later. I went through a pretty rough point in my life, working at a dead-end job while trying to get on my feet after college. I started writing a novel to get through it, and I listened to With Teeth on repeat for most of that whole process. Not only did the album save my life, but it also helped put me on rather strange-yet-rewarding career path.

Ten years. Time really flies.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I’m here to unload some sloppy love for the WT instrumentals. Sorry WT, but you’re going to need some napkins for this…

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wordmachine View Post
    Late to the party on this, but reading through all the entries and watching the clips made me nostalgic. I used to lurk this forum a long time ago under a different name, and I remember that period of time in mid-2004 through 2005 when rumors were rampant about the new NIN album. I remember streaming that shitty web cam feed to see what they were up to in the studio, and I also remember when someone called their studio posing as a reporter. After they caught on, they posted the person’s phone number with a message that said something like “Thirteenth caller wins.” I don’t remember exactly, but it was pretty funny stuff.

I remember when THTF leaked and the hotline exploded. People were calling radio stations all over the country to request it. When TLBTB leaked, people swore it wasn’t a mastered version because of the difference between verse and chorus.
    I managed to score a pair of tickets to see them live at the Electric Factory in Philly a couple of weeks after the album dropped. It was my first time seeing them live, and it just so happened to be the show where Trent lost his shit over his microphone cutting out. The famous “Something’s gonna get broken!” clip is from that show. May 19th, 2005.

I was a fan of NIN before this album—The Fragile was my introduction—but this one remains in my top three. Like others here, I’ve got a personal connection to With Teeth. I didn’t really connect with the record right away like I did with The Fragile or TDS. It didn’t really hit me until a year later. I went through a pretty rough point in my life, working at a dead-end job while trying to get on my feet after college. I started writing a novel to get through it, and I listened to With Teeth on repeat for most of that whole process. Not only did the album save my life, but it also helped put me on rather strange-yet-rewarding career path.

Ten years. Time really flies.

I'm pretty sure that's the last time that Trent actually sang the chorus to HLAH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Woa ten years. This was the first NIN Album I bought, which was some time in mid '06 after deciding to finally walk out of the local Best Buy with the CD after holding it many times and walking away without it, thinking things like:

"You only like one song, why buy the whole album."
    "NINs older stuff is meh. Like Hurt? Closer? Meh!"
    "The other song from this album you've heard (THTF) is total crap!"

I remember putting it in the CD player in my car and falling in love with the first song, hating the next three, and declaring Love Is Not Enough to be the best song, ever. That and Getting Smaller were so overplayed it wasn't even funny. Oh, and I always skipped the last four songs, because they were boring. Yes. Apparently all the songs grew on me.

Then I proceeded to give TDS it's proper chance, as well as PHM, Broken and The Fragile.

By then I was enough of a fan to be here on a fateful day when a pic of a tour tshirt from Performance 2007 was posted (used a different name back then), which, well brought NIN from "a good band" to "the best band ever."

So thanks, With Teeth, and Only specifically, for without this album, I'd prolly still be a huge Sum 41 fan. Ewwww....
    Last edited by toomanyrifts; 07-06-2015 at 09:40 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanyrifts View Post

So thanks, With Teeth, and Only specifically, for without this album, I'd prolly still be a huge Sum 41 fan. Ewwww....
    I guess you could say you'd be in too deep

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    God dammit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It Makes No Difference anymore. Trent Reznor gave my old self a Fat Lip and called me a Walking Disaster. So I became a NIN Fan....

Yeah, maybe I still like the Sum 41. Just not nearly as much as NIN....

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanyrifts View Post
    It Makes No Difference anymore. Trent Reznor gave my old self a Fat Lip and called me a Walking Disaster. So I became a NIN Fan....

Yeah, maybe I still like the Sum 41. Just not nearly as much as NIN....
    I think I'm in Over My Head

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Looking back at it now, I think what I liked about With Teeth was that it touched upon love as it was something I've always tried to question and dissect. I can actually relate through that when thinking about songs like All That Love In The World (What exactly should I base the love direct upon myself and the love from others on, especially if I don't know right where I belong, like the insects seem to as they march along? It's pretty cool how Right Where It Belongs ends the album in that case then.), Love Is Not Enough (Sometimes it really isn't, and we're just lying to ourselves and each other for the fear of being helpless and alone. And some people just can't be loved for whatever reason.) and Every Day Is Exactly The Same (When life seems to lose all meaning and purpose, it can be as if love doesn't exist at all.). Perhaps it's because how love can make us bite more than we can chew, or how love can also take a bite out of you. That's kind of what I got out of the name With Teeth as of now, and why With Teeth hits home to me a lot more now too.

Speaking of Home, that's also one of my favorite songs from With Teeth too. There are also so many memories attached to With Teeth that go beyond words for me at this point, but being the very first Nine Inch Nails album I've actually waited for and being the year I've attended my very first NIN concert still has a lot to do with it.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 07-14-2015 at 10:11 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Home, imo, is one of the best NIN songs... production vise, as well as lyrically.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Besides You In Time... one of my favorite NIN songs ever!

The Downward Spiral is my favorite NIN record followed by With Teeth... yeah I said it!!

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Nostalgia'd super hard while listening to BYIT instrumental. When the hard part kicked in, my mind instantly brought up original With Teeth teaser with NIN logo which gave me goosebumps.