Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: The Xbox Thread

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I find it funny how much they've backpedaled. Rather than stick to their guns and attempt to prove naysayers wrong, they flip 180, agree with the naysayers and look desperate while doing so.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    What did I say, by launch, everything would be forgotten, fixed and no-one will care..
    This is good news for them.
    The question now is, is the tv and entertainment stuff enough to make it stand out from essentially two identical consoles?
    I've got a ps4 preordered but my bet is MS's marketing budget is big enough to get the public back on side
    I think so. It still is offering more than just games unlike the PS4. The innovation is still there and still a plus that everything is optional and fully there. I won't watch TV or movies religiously on it but I'll fuck around with apps and shit.

The campaign will be good closer to launch I believe. PS4's launch campaign has been nothing but slander so it won't be hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    I find it funny how much they've backpedaled. Rather than stick to their guns and attempt to prove naysayers wrong, they flip 180, agree with the naysayers and look desperate while doing so.
    They're bold but not bold enough to withstand everyone's shit slinging. I assume they rethought everything through and evaluated what to chuck or dim down.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    it's funny how people are still complaining. the gaming community sometimes is too much to handle.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    it's funny how people are still complaining. the gaming community sometimes is too much to handle.
    What's the focus now?

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I think so. It still is offering more than just games unlike the PS4.
    The PS4 is offering a bunch of stuff besides "just games." The difference is that they seem to be putting "the games" aspect up front and center as the primary selling point, and that's a good thing. I don't know how people can spin that to be a bad thing, but ok.

And if the PS4's launch campaign "has been nothing but slander so it won't be hard to beat," obviously it will have been completely ineffective, causing Microsoft no concern whatsoever, and as a result they've stuck to their guns and haven't altered their own marketing strategy at all...

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    The PS4 is offering a bunch of stuff besides "just games." The difference is that they seem to be putting "the games" aspect up front and center as the primary selling point, and that's a good thing. I don't know how people can spin that to be a bad thing, but ok.

And if the PS4's launch campaign "has been nothing but slander so it won't be hard to beat," obviously it will have been completely ineffective, causing Microsoft no concern whatsoever, and as a result they've stuck to their guns and haven't altered their own marketing strategy at all...
    Yah but the PS4 hasn't really shown that many games? Compare that to what the x1 has shown up to this point. Their launch campaign wasn't that amazing, really, MIcrosoft f'd their own message.

I still think MIcrosoft shouldn't have back peddled like they did, but oh well. There should not be any complaints now but there still is an endless onslaught by the Sony faithful, and the bandwagon jumpers. It's comical at this point.

I just read an article where it details the nifty ability to have your X1 fully integrated into your comcast service and all the comments were "why do i need that?", "i could do all this with a simple remote", but no dude that's the point. The x1 wants everything to be all-in-one. It will be an excellent feature for everyone but the anal "hardcore gamer" types. It's hate for the sake of hate. One or two years into this generation should be very amusing.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    There should not be any complaints now but there still is an endless onslaught by the Sony faithful, and the bandwagon jumpers. It's comical at this point.
    The only thing comical here is the insinuation that someone is a "bandwagon jumper" because they chose to buy a different video game system.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    The only thing comical here is the insinuation that someone is a "bandwagon jumper" because they chose to buy a different video game system.
    That's not what i meant. I was referring to the overblown and downright ridiculous backlash that is continuing even though the policies have been changed.

If you go to some of these pages and read the comments section you'd understand what i am talking about but then again who really wants to read them? it's a waste of time.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Of course they are but they haven't really even stated or shown much outside the gaming aspect. I've made my rounds around news website but haven't seen much noteworthy of attention.

Games are the focus for me but other things matter too. I don't want a re-skinned PS3 XMB with not much else to offer outside the same apps they have now. The PS3 Youtube app is absolutely garbage.

The How to Share Games Video was a smartass concoction to do nothing but bash DRM and the Xbox One. Outside of that, nothing they've campaigned for has really caught any of my attention. Ineffective to me but I can't speak for anyone else.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    The PS3 Youtube app is absolutely garbage.
    To be honest I haven't used it much, and one of the few times I tried to use it, it didn't work (to stream coachella). So, oh well. I used my laptop.

The How to Share Games Video was a smartass concoction to do nothing but bash DRM and the Xbox One. Outside of that, nothing they've campaigned for has really caught any of my attention. Ineffective to me but I can't speak for anyone else.
    I wish they'd give us some more specific details on the Gaikai streaming service, but that's new. I'm very interested in how they're pushing to back the indie game world, and allow indie developers to publish to PSN. Then there's the video capturing/share stuff, and I don't see myself getting too much use out of that, but there's that. And sure, most of that is game-centered, but that's what I'm mostly interested in here.

If the Xbox 1 was actually promising to replace my shitty cable box, that would be fantastic. That would actually entice me to get one. But it's not, you just route your cable box into it, and it doesn't even directly double as a DVR... and that is the only non-game-related issue that even moderately interests me. The TV stuff seems poorly realized and half assed. It could have been a huge selling point, but it's looking more like it's a gimmick

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

If the Xbox 1 was actually promising to replace my shitty cable box, that would be fantastic. That would actually entice me to get one. But it's not, you just route your cable box into it, and it doesn't even directly double as a DVR... and that is the only non-game-related issue that even moderately interests me. The TV stuff seems poorly realized and half assed. It could have been a huge selling point, but it's looking more like it's a gimmick
    I thought this was something they were really emphasizing? They spoke about it at length during a recent Major Nelson podcast. I agree it would be nice if comcast just offered an X1 instead of their cable box, that would be sick, who knows that may happen in the future but routing your "shitty" box into the x1 would still accomplish what you're asking for, no?

Plus, the capturing/share stuff looks very deep with the X1. They're going far and wide with those features.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    I thought this was something they were really emphasizing? They spoke about it at length during a recent Major Nelson podcast. I agree it would be nice if comcast just offered an X1 instead of their cable box, that would be sick, who knows that may happen in the future but routing your "shitty" box into the x1 would still accomplish what you're asking for, no?
    No, it's entirely gimped, and it's probably not MS's fault... I'm sure they WANTED to replace the crappy slow outdated cable box that's in everyone's house, but they couldn't get the cable companies to agree to pulling it off in any real way. The more you look into it, the stupider it sounds really.

Plus, the capturing/share stuff looks very deep with the X1. They're going far and wide with those features.
    The capturing/sharing capabilities thing is definitely a win in the Sony corner, and not just because the PS4 caches more than twice as much video and doesn't require paid subscription to use.

Again, this isn't really a big deal or a major selling factor thing for me, but the PS4 wins hands down there.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    November 22nd official release date. It's just now hitting me how much I've spent already on it lol.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    November 22nd official release date. It's just now hitting me how much I've spent already on it lol.
    If you mean barely any at all, I'm right there with you. I think I've paid $180.00 only.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    That, or paying off the entire console, another controller, the controller charge pack, and 5 games...then yes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    So has anyone read about what Arcade/downloadable/whatever it will be called games. There's a couple of $59.99 games I'm interested in for launch, but is that all that will be out there?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Halo 3 is free to download until the 31st if you have a Gold membership! Unfortunately only about 12 people online are wearing mics and it's really fucking frustrating.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    This dude has some narly shit to say about both the PS4 and X1

that last part has been gaining serious steam and something i always thought since the big reveal.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Microsoft placed a giant ass Xbox One here in downtown Vancouver, and if you go to the Xbox One: OneSource page and enter your gamertag and email address, you're automatically entered in to a draw for prizes, and every entry gets you...something down the road. Canadian only TO WIN PRIZES, but all gamertags help unlock it, so feel free to sign up. If enough people do it, the giant Xbox One will apparently 'unlock'...they haven't said what will happen, but apparently something 'special' will also happen for those physically there. Might go check it out tonight if it gets close. Off work at 10pm, but it's been up since earlier this morning, 3:51pm now and it's still got like 82% to go...

Also, it appears that the cost of Season Passes for the One (and presumably the PS4) have gone up in price as well. Just announced, the Dead Rising 3 Season Pass, for four upcoming DLC packs as normal, will now run you $30. Shitty deal.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Also, it appears that the cost of Season Passes for the One (and presumably the PS4) have gone up in price as well. Just announced, the Dead Rising 3 Season Pass, for four upcoming DLC packs as normal, will now run you $30. Shitty deal.
    Nah, that's just the value of what they're offering. The season pass for Borderlands 2 cost me $29.99 and some run for $19.99. Depends on value and what is involved.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    well, doesn't the "super hardcore extreme" version of Call of Duty cost 120 bucks or so? That's for the digital download version I saw on PSN earlier.

Also, while we're here and on topic, http://kotaku.com/activision-confirm...sol-1455181795

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    well, doesn't the "super hardcore extreme" version of Call of Duty cost 120 bucks or so? That's for the digital download version I saw on PSN earlier.

Also, while we're here and on topic, http://kotaku.com/activision-confirm...sol-1455181795
    Unless you're talking special game editions, me and @october_midnight were on about season passes. To answer your question, it's 80.00 for hardened and 150.00 for prestige (if there is one). Still ehhhhhhhhhhhh.

The link you posted is surprising and mind-boggling. Also the comments on it, 80% seem like shitheads.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Do the controllers have cords you plug in to charge with? Like the 360? You can leave them plugged in or unplug and go wireless.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    The link you posted is surprising and mind-boggling. Also the comments on it, 80% seem like shitheads.
    I'm sure it's something about the new system architecture that's messing them up. If Battlefield 4 can run at 1080p, I don't see why Call of Duty can't.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    This dude has some narly shit to say about both the PS4 and X1

that last part has been gaining serious steam and something i always thought since the big reveal.
    Wow, I really can't fucking stand this guys voice. Is there a bullet points or summary or something of this video I can check out anywhere?

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ibanez33 View Post
    Wow, I really can't fucking stand this guys voice. Is there a bullet points or summary or something of this video I can check out anywhere?
    It's a load of bullshit rumor mongering from unnamed sources. One of their assertions has already been disproven. Don't bother. At one point he claims that the PS4 version of Call of Duty won't run at 1080p native, and that the reason for that has something to do with the online network. The developers have already just stated that it will run at 1080p native on PS4, but that doesn't matter much because the explanation is insane. The condition of an online network doesn't affect the resolution a game runs at.

EDIT: my earlier comment was apparently wrong. Battlefield 4 is also running at max resolution of 720p on Xbox1 and 900p on PS4. That's just really unexpected. Maybe it's just developer's being unfamiliar with the new hardware.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 11-03-2013 at 09:17 PM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    EDIT: my earlier comment was apparently wrong. Battlefield 4 is also running at max resolution of 720p on Xbox1 and 900p on PS4. That's just really unexpected. Maybe it's just developer's being unfamiliar with the new hardware.
    That's weird. You'd think that even if they were unfamiliar with the hardware they'd have ironed out some of the more obvious kinks like that pretty early on in the development.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I won't be getting the x1 till titanfalls but
    Fuck yah if the dashboard works that buttery smooth. Looks damn nice and I love the kinect feature even if it has nothing to do with games.

im an Apple guy but honestly with the x1 I think Microsoft might be in the best position out of apple and Sony to take over the living room as the centerpiece entertainment hub.