Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Theft Auto

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'm loving it. In a way, it's three separate games that intertwine. I was worried about missing out on missions if you play with certain characters. Glad, I was wrong

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I love the character switching. It seems life like, as in they're actually doing things while you arn't playing them. They never stay in the same spot which is always fun, cause you never know what you're going to get into. Also I just played a mission with flying involved it was fun but also a bit challenging. Which is always good. I had really high hopes for this game and it exceeded them. So fun, wow.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Damn it, I reeeally should have taken a few days off this week. Got the game yesterday morning, was not able to play it til 11 last night. Played for about 2 hours, so far it feels like GTA....but brand new. In other words, awesome. I've only got a taste of the character switching and I can already see that its going to be a lot of fun. Can't wait to dive back in.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    Yeah the aiming is rough, it's real bad in a car
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Having a hard time with the aiming reticule. Can barely see the dot. Other than that, its awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    They had that problem in the halo reach beta iirc. They were forced to fix it in in the finished game. I cant aim for shit with it either.

In the settings you can change it to "complex" aiming, which gives you actual crosshairs and shows how far it will spread with shotguns.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Ah cool. Wasn't sure what it meant by "complex".

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Grand Theft Auto

Oh sweet I didn't see that option, I'll check that out tonight

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Ah cool. Wasn't sure what it meant by "complex".
    Yeah, it's kind of 4 corners that spread out when you're running or driving to show how (in)accurate your shots will be and stuff, where as the tiny little dot was only like "your bullets go in this general direction".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Loving it! Love the character switching so far makes the game very interesting and my god is this map huge I haven't even left Los Santos yet def need to go explore this place.

Done a few missions so far but most have seemed minor haven't really I guess gotten to what could be considered the start of the real storyline but I think i'm just outside that, won't problaly get into it for a bit though as I try and build up some stats on my two characters. Enjoying it so far though and like I said I really need to go explore the whole map lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Favorite game moment yet: as Trevor, driving around at night in the desert during a rainstorm, turning to Rebel Radio just in time to hear the beginning of Charlie Feathers' "Can't Hardly Stand It". For some reason in those circumstances it just made everything feel evil and awesome.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Finally got the iFruit app to work and messed around with Chop a little bit, it seems pretty lame and probably not worth even fucking around with.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    The driving is so out of touch with physics and is very fucking loose in this game. I can't stand it. I failed the first racing side quest so many times due to the sloppy handling and fucktard driving the AI pulls off. Ugh.

Fun game thus far, not far into it. Just finished the first heist.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    The driving is so out of touch with physics and is very fucking loose in this game. I can't stand it. I failed the first racing side quest so many times due to the sloppy handling and fucktard driving the AI pulls off. Ugh.

Fun game thus far, not far into it. Just finished the first heist.
    I had a hard time with that racing mission too.... i'm just bad with racing games. I came back to it after getting used to the game and beat it in the first try. maybe you just need to step away a bit.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Holy fuck, I'm in love with this game. SPOILERS: I just did the heist out in the desert with Packie McReary, on the way there he told the gang about the Bank of Liberty heist he pulled with Nico in IV, and then we annihilated half of the town in fucking massive juggernaut body armor suits and mini guns, it was AWESOME! And according to my save-game screen, I'm still only 45% through the story. Can't wait to see what else we can get into.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^^^ I totally shouldn't have read even the first sentence of that spoiler but damn am I excited about that character!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpenoctem View Post
    ^^^ I totally shouldn't have read even the first sentence of that spoiler but damn am I excited about that character!
    Spoiler: I particularly loved the comment earlier on from Lester, while you're planning the first heist. Something like, "Those Irish brothers you liked have seemingly disappeared. There was an Eastern European guy working out of Liberty City, but...he went quiet."

This game IS pretty great so far. The controls are a little tricky and were hard to get used to, and the driving physics ARE a little nuts, but overall, think I can see myself getting MANY hours of fun out of this.

Also, Trevor + aviator sunglasses = Hunter S. Thompson.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I called for my blimp (limited edition bonus) and the land us just beautiful, buzzing amazing things I won't spoil.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I like that they finally figured out that it was more about having large numbers of things that you WANT to do vs. large numbers of things that you CAN do and have nor eason too.

it was a perfect game until:

Spoiler: the torture scene came up. there's been some talk of this

and I think a line is crossed there that costs it major points with me. I get that there's some political messaging behind it but it's a very poorly handled scene, and I don't think most of the dick heads playing this game are literate enough to get it. Or give a shit.

It also pushes games further down a path that they should be trying to steer away from. It's hit other media before, but when that sort of thing becomes entertainment without substance is where I think it's kind of inept and stupid. it reminds me of the direction American Horror films took in the middle of the last decade. I really don't think we need video games going down road and it's going to cost the medium some hard won credibility. and it's a shame. It's a shame that the game gives you all the wrong kind of agency in this portion, when there are so many other ways it could have been handled.

I realize that many will try to stand up for this scene but in the end i just thing it was a very stupid idea for everyone involved.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    How bad is it, really? I can be a tad squeamish when it comes to graphic violence, and I don't know whether I should be worried whenever I get to that point.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clownboat View Post
    How bad is it, really? I can be a tad squeamish when it comes to graphic violence, and I don't know whether I should be worried whenever I get to that point.
    I think the majority (from what I read) is waterboarding.

It may be pushing the line a bit but you're playing as Trevor during it, he is a psychopath so...it doesn't seem like its randomly tossed in there.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I think it fell in line with the character. A little "extreme", but its just whatever to me... especially considering that it already happens. Spoiler: plus, trevor lets him go after and helps him escape. So, there's a happy ending, sorta...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I didn't see any waterboarding, though I chose not to use one of the "instruments" provided. What I did see was pretty rough, and though I'm not normally squeamish I did feel a bit sick playing that mission. Sadly I agree that most who didn't think much about this type of behavior being used in the real world will continue to not think much about it as they'll write it off to "just being a game", etc. I hope that was all they included, because I'm not sure I'd do it again.

Anyone played tennis yet? I think they did a great job with the mechanics of the gameplay for that, it feels really natural.

My only other gripe thus far is the lack of quality music. The rock stations are a little light in the loafers, and what they do have isn't that great.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skip niklas View Post
    My only other gripe thus far is the lack of quality music. The rock stations are a little light in the loafers, and what they do have isn't that great.
    The gas can was used for the waterboarding.

Thank you! I agree 150%. The selection is scarce of music I like. I only like a few hodge podge tracks here and there. Channel X and the pop station are the things I listen to most with some Vinewood now and then. I only listen to WCC when Geto Boys or Dr Dre is on.

The torture scene (I just finished it a bit ago), didn't bother me that much actually. I can see why it would but it didn't really ruffle my feathers or feel bad. Eh. I'm a bastard then eh?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I'm loving most of the radio stations, though the Mexican one is really obnoxious to me. I wish FlyLo's station was a bit better, as that is half the reason why I wanted the game in the first place. Soulwax is quality and both rap stations are great, but I think the true hidden gem is Lowdown FM. "California Soul" being included makes the game legendary in my eyes.

That said, I gotta be honest: The best thing about the game's music is the original score. I love all of the ambient music. The stuff that plays during loading screens, during missions, while paused in the menu... It's all excellent. Like, seriously good stuff. I can't praise it highly enough. I really hope Rockstar releases it as an album or three very soon.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Yeah I'm a bit disappointed with the music selection, can't find a station I can stand listening to for more than a couple minutes. Even the talk station isn't that great.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It seems like everytime I go to the Los Santos talk station I get "Chakra Attack". I love me some JB Smoove, but damn. Bad timing on my part I suppose. The rap stations are really good, but I really think some more 90's and modern rock would make it better in my opinion. I've already been tempted to just play songs from my hard drive instead of the stations, but I've always enjoyed the talk radio stations and want to hear all of their content before I get in the habit of rocking "Hesitation Marks" while cruising around.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I am only using the pop music and country music stations because that's what I listen to anyway. I will stop the game anywhere that I Don't Hurt Anymore comes on just to listen to it. Also, I'm lazy and cba to check thread, is there an ETS crew?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Cop chases car and both speediest me. Up ahead th bad guys wipe out and get out firing at the cops. Cops get out and fire back and are killed. Bad guys flee. I take cops guns and car. On we roll....

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I'm very disappointed with the music selection.

And it's not *just* waterboarding. It's a whole bunch of stuff, the most squeam inducing maybe being a tooth extraction. But my biggest issue is that it is gamified, and not just slightly gamified, but completely interactive down to the fact that you are scored on it. When I completed the mission I got a silver medal and an offer to retry which is so goddamn tasteless I can't put words to it.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    So, I got the San Andreas Sightseer achievement and holy fuck what a boring grind and aggravating task it was. It's great to have the whole map uncovered though.

The main issue I had was I kept getting flight issues and crashing when not playing as Trevor. Between dying, respawning, driving and stealing plane after plane I uncovered the entire map in about two and a half hours. You have to uncover everything. EVERYTHING. No blurred out or vacant spots, even the water surrounding the city. Sucked hard. Real hard.