Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.1 surround music

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

5.1 surround music

One thing I will always be thankful to NIN for is introducing me to 5.1 surround music with the downward spiral dual disc. The with teeth dual disc is a favorite in my music collection as well. They were the gateway drug to the world of rare surround sound releases of albums. Surround is an amazing listening experience. I have been collecting dvd-audio, dual disc, and sacd surround releases for a few years and I thought I would share a list of some of the titles you guys might be interested in hearing.

NIN

the downward spiral dual disc dvd/cd
    the downward spiral sacd deluxe edition
    with teeth dual disc dvd/cd

Pink Floyd

dark side of the moon sacd
    wish you were here sacd
    division bell dvd-audio
    the endless river blu-ray audio

Beck

sea change blu-ray audio
    guero dvd-audio

Ministry

animositisomina dvd-audio

Flaming Lips

yoshimi battles the pink robots dvd-audio
    at war with the mystics dvd-audio

Mettallica

mettallica dvd-audio

Bjork

surrounded dualdisc dvd/cd
    1 debut
    2 post
    3 homogenic
    4 selmasongs
    5 vespertine
    6 medula
    7 drawing restraint 9

Neil Young

harvest dvd-audio

the Beatles

love dvd-audio

David Gilmour

live in gdansk 4 disc set
    4 on an island dvd-audio

If you have any rare surround recordings I would love to hear about yours. Some of these releases are more rare than others. You could have something I have never heard of so please share.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rare? I have so many surround recordings, I'm not sure I'd want to take the time to list them all. Funny, I don't have any of the Bjork albums you have in 5.1, though I do have some of her music. Perhaps I should look into that. But I have all the rest that you list in your post. I will further add if not for Steven Wilson, I'd likely have invested a lot less in the format. That man alone is responsible for a huge chunk of the surround discs in my collection, through either his own music or from all the bands he has remixed over the years.

Looking over those bands you mentioned, you might be interested in a band called Anathema. Their last three albums, We're Here Because We're Here, Weather Systems and Distant Satellites have received the 5.1 treatment. They're all very good. Opeth's album, Pale Communion was my favorite surround sound album of 2014. Well, I should say the corrected disc was my favorite. The first pressing was flawed and recalled.

Also, for those who are veterans or even beginners who are just getting to the format, I highly recommend checking out the QuadraphonicQuad Forums. It's an online community devoted to all things quad and surround.
    Last edited by pulse; 02-08-2015 at 03:12 PM. Reason: QuadraphonicQuad Forums

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I wish Scott Walker would make 5.1 mixes of his later work. It'd be mental.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The Pink Floyd ones are out of this world

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I have several myself, though I do not have a surround system (yet). I believe my Blu-ray player has SACD capabilities, which I'm kind of psyched about because I've heard that's the best of the three, even though Blu audio is catching up or has done so already. There's a company called Analogue Productions that put out a Doors Box set featuring SACD's of each of their albums released while Jim Morrison was alive, with surround mixes.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    since you like Floyd and Björk, try Steven Wilson (and Porcupine Tree). every album since 1999 has been released in surround sound.

Porcupine Tree:
    Stupid Dream
    Lightbulb Sun
    In Absentia
    Deadwing
    Fear of a Blank Planet
    The Incident

SW solo:
    Insurgentes
    Grace for Drowning
    The Raven That Refused to Sing
    Hand. Cannot. Erase. (coming out very soon)

his other related stuff
    Bass Communion: Loss, Pacific Codex
    No-Man: Together We're Stranger, Schoolyard Ghosts

and let's not forget the SW-mixed King Crimson albums that were put out in surround!
    In the Court of the Crimson King
    In the Wake of Poseidon
    Lizard
    Islands
    Larks' Tongues in Aspic
    Starless and Bible Black
    Red
    Discipline
    Beat (coming out this year sometime? we hope)

and with SW mentioned, Opeth comes to mind...
    Still Life (though the new mix is awful imo)
    Blackwater Park
    Watershed
    Pale Communion

and their project together...
    Storm Corrosion - self titled

plus all the other prog/etc. bands SW has re-mixed into surround:
    Jethro Tull: Aqualung, Thick as a Brick, A Passion Play, Warchild
    Caravan: In the Land of Grey and Pink
    XTC: Nonesuch

and since prog was mentioned...
    Dream Theater: Systematic Chaos, self-titled
    Rush: Fly By Night, 2112, A Farewell to Kings, Moving Pictures, Signals (aren't there more?)

also Megadeth's Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? and the Moist best-of release, Machine Punch Through (this would probably qualify as "rare" since the DVD-A version is out of print and mostly just Canadians know the band).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I actually found a reasonably priced doors perception box set of cd/dvd of every album last week and I am waiting for it as it should arrive any day now. I am currently waiting for several surround releases to arrive as my desire to collect has recently been trumping my desire to save money. My dad is a big king crimson fan and he has a few of the surround releases from them and also ELP and Yes that I need to add to my collection some day but they are still easy to find so I am focusing on the hard to find releases at the moment.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Talking Heads: Remain in Light. The ones that seem obvious aren't as great in surround as you'd think they'd be, but there are other tracks you might not pay as much attention to in the stereo version that really come alive in surround.

I didn't realize Homogenic was available in surround... gonna have to check that out.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Talking Heads: Remain in Light. The ones that seem obvious aren't as great in surround as you'd think they'd be, but there are other tracks you might not pay as much attention to in the stereo version that really come alive in surround.

I didn't realize Homogenic was available in surround... gonna have to check that out.
    still pissed i missed out on the talking heads 5.1 box set. at one point, i had $100 worth of best buy gift cards and it was on sale for just about $100, but i bought all five seasons of Angel on DVD instead.

the björk surrounded box set is absolutely fantastic. i never really cared much for debut until i listened to it in surround.
    it's also a nice bonus that all of the music videos for each album are included as bonus material (mixed in 5.1, of course).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Didn't someone took the multitracks and mixed Year Zero and The Slip in surround somewhere on torrents? It's not "official".

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Refused - Shape of Punk to Come

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    Didn't someone took the multitracks and mixed Year Zero and The Slip in surround somewhere on torrents? It's not "official".
    Yeah, and Ghosts. They're not bad mixes, but not great either. The Ghosts on in particular has some sounds mixed quite low when on the official mix they're much louder. I only have them burned to disc so can't help you out but they're not too hard to find

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    I did not realize Sea Change 5.1 had been re-released via Blu Ray. A few years ago I was staring down an expensive SACD, now I'm kinda glad I waited.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Aside from the NIN DualDiscs, I have these:

Depeche Mode - Black Celebration, Music For The Masses, Violator, Songs of Faith and Devotion, Ultra
    R.E.M. - Green, Out of Time, Automatic For The People, Monster, New Adventures In Hi-Fi, Up

I'm excited to see where the newest iteration (High Fidelity Pure Audio) of this concept will go. Hopefully it will really take off and stick around for a good while.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    all the nick cave 5.1 mixes are pretty fantastic. mick harvey did a great job with them. you wouldn't think that type of music would lend itself to the format so well, but it really puts you inside it in a nice way.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I did not realize Sea Change 5.1 had been re-released via Blu Ray. A few years ago I was staring down an expensive SACD, now I'm kinda glad I waited.
    I almost did the same thing

I had a couple of additions to my collection arrive in the mail within the last few days

David Bowie

the rise and fall of ziggy stardust and the spiders from mars sacd

Alice in Chains

greatest hits sacd

REM

in time the best of REM 1988-2003 dvd-audio
    Last edited by slurfius; 02-10-2015 at 02:44 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I bought Bjork's Homogenic in surround today. It's SO good in DTS!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    I bought Bjork's Homogenic in surround today. It's SO good in DTS!

Yeah that is a great mix.

I received a dual disc of foo fighters on your honor last night but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. I expect to be less than thrilled with it just as I was with the foo fighters one by one dvd-audio I forgot to mention in my original post. It's probably my least favorite surround release in my entire collection and I think that might be why I forgot about it before.

In other news I am starting to suspect that the deal I found on the doors boxset was too good to be true. I hope it's just USPS' fault but I still haven't received it (ordered on Jan 31st) and the package tracking information shows it going to Chicago (I'm very close to Chicago) then to Missouri...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slurfius View Post
    I received a dual disc of foo fighters on your honor last night but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. I expect to be less than thrilled with it just as I was with the foo fighters one by one dvd-audio I forgot to mention in my original post. It's probably my least favorite surround release in my entire collection and I think that might be why I forgot about it before.
    Really the main gripe I had with IYH is that they only did the second disc (the "slow one") instead of both. I actually ended up getting the One by One DVD-A awhile back too. Hmm, I guess I was slightly underwhelmed with that one also, now that I think about it. The only track I remember really sounding quite great is Low.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The fact that we'll most likely never hear a Richard D James album in a 5.1 mix kills me inside.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I think if the 5.1 Blu-ray audio format were to become popular then more bands would make the effort to mix in surround. It is a better listening experience and it is something that can't just be downloaded and put on an ipod. The only way you will hear it without paying for it is to burn it to a blu-ray and few will make the effort to do that. Never say never.

I listened to the in your honor dualdisc and I am impressed. It is much better than I remember the one by one dvd-audio being. It is a bummer they only gave one disc of in your honor the 5.1 treatment though. I also kind of wish wasting light would have come out in 5.1 as it is one of foo's best albums in my opinion. I should probably buy the lp though as the original recording was done on analog tape. I have always believed that anything recorded digitally should be listened to in the highest resolution digital format available. If something was recorded on analog tape only an lp will preserve the analog warmth that comes from recording stuff that way. I really don't understand why so many recordings made digitally in pro-tools are popular on vinyl.

On valentines day my Doors perception cd/dvd box set and the social network soundtrack blu-ray came in the mail. I was so excited to listen to the TSN that I completely forgot how lonely I had been feeling previously that day.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I think the best 5.1 mixes are King Crimson's.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Amon Tobin - Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory soundtrack

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Amon Tobin - Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory soundtrack
    After listening for a few minutes on youtube I am thinking I might need to find a copy of the dvd-audio and a copy of the game (never played it)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I think the best 5.1 mixes are King Crimson's.
    i think that's a combination of how amazing those albums were originally and the fact that steven wilson is a freakin' genius.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    So, I bought my 2nd surround system. The first one was probably a relic by 2003 standards, cost me 300 bucks and the rear speakers went kaput within months.

Anyway, I've been going through my 5.1 stuff lately. The two winners for me so far are King Crimson's Red and of course Dark Side of the Moon. The way I have it set up probably isn't ideal for the best listening experience, but it's pretty good for my apartment. The instrument separation on those two (DSOTM especially) blew me away. The only real disappointment I've run across are the Genesis discs I do have, but I've read there's major compression issues with those discs, and Universal has been putting them out High Fidelity Pure Audio in Europe so maybe those are better.

Here's what I have

Pink Floyd: DSOTM and Wish You Were Here Immersion editions, The Endless River (and Gilmour's 4-disc Live in Gdansk which features a surround mix of On an Island)
    Steven Wilson: All his solo stuff, The Storm Corrosion album and the last two No-Man albums. I also have the three Yes albums he worked on, as well as the King Crimson Starless and Road to Red box-sets (in addition to the Larks' Tongues in Aspic CD/DVD set)
    Genesis: The 1970-1975 and 1983-1998 box sets
    I also have a couple DualDiscs too, TDS and Kind of Blue by Miles Davis
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 08-22-2015 at 05:06 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    @onthewall2983 you should definitely pick up the rest of the king crimson 5.1 CD/DVD sets. they're all really fantastic. discipline, in particular, because of the nature of the instrumentation on the album, really lends itself to surround.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    You made a good choice. I compared the waveforms of the DVD-A and the Blu-ray 5.1 mixes. While the mixes are the same, the DVD one is louder than the Blu-ray and sometimes it hits the 0db peak. The Blu-ray ls much better and smoother. I don't remember checking out the SACD mix, but it was probably was the same transfer as the DVD-A.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    As an early birthday present a friend of mine got me The Wraith: Shangri La by Insane Clown Posse in surround. I didn't even know they had released anything in surround. I know they're pretty hated but if you like their music it's worth getting

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I still have yet to hear a surround mix that I preferred to the stereo.

Maybe I'm like the mono old guard that doesn't get the appeal of stereo. If there's anyone in here who can really swear that they have found a surround version that truly blows away the original album mix, I would love to hear it, no matter what genre of music it is, or whatever I think about the artist.

I'd be interested to check out the surround mixes of King Crimson... is there an album that translates particularly well?