Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 5.1 surround music

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I wouldn't say they're gimmicky, unless they're up-mixes which is what happens when you can't find the extra tapes necessary for a release. This happened when Steven Wilson was assisting in putting together a box-set for Steve Hackett and none of the multi-tracks for two of the albums were available to be used in the new mixes.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Does the 5.1 mix of TDS stand up well at all? What I've heard of it I've not really been bowled over, but then again I'm not a bonafide expert about it.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Does the 5.1 mix of TDS stand up well at all? What I've heard of it I've not really been bowled over, but then again I'm not a bonafide expert about it.
    It's certainly one of a kind. I cannot recall a similar surround experience. Personally, I love it! But not everyone does.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Then maybe it's just my setup. Having just hearing some of it now, I noticed some drop-outs upfront a few times. The drop-outs are nothing new unfortunately, one time I was watching a Metallica video on Qello and when Kirk started soloing I could barely hear it at all, which is unique because I can usually hear everything on other concert discs and videos.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Then maybe it's just my setup. Having just hearing some of it now, I noticed some drop-outs upfront a few times.
    That's so weird, I was coming into this thread to ask if anyone else has the same problem with The Downward Spiral. It's not my setup because all other 5.1 things I have play absolutely fine. But downward spiral has sounds just fade out way to early and then pop back in. It's really distracting because other than when that happens I adore it

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Does the With Teeth disc have the same thing happen as well?

I'm convinced something is sort of wrong with my TV as a it's what my system is plugged into, which has a speaker test and all of them come off equally sounding fine.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    With Teeth sounds fine.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I wonder if Trent is not as enthusiastic about the format as some others are. TDS, With Teeth, the TSN soundtrack and the still-unreleased mix of The Fragile.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Electric Ladyland Deluxe Edition includes a full color, 48-page book containing Jimi’s handwritten lyrics, poem and instructions to his record label, as well as never before published photos from the recording sessions that were shot by Eddie Kramer himself. All contained in a deluxe casemade book with new cover art which is true to Hendrix’s original vision of the album’s cover: a Linda (McCartney) Eastman photograph of the band and children at the statue of Alice In Wonderland in New York’s Central Park.

CD1: the original album, now newly remastered by Bernie Grundman from the original analog tapes.
    CD2: Electric Ladyland: The Early Takes, which presents 20 never before heard demos and studio outtakes from this period in Hendrix’s career.
    CD3: Jimi Hendrix Experience: Live At the Hollywood Bowl 9/14/68, part of Experience Hendrix’s Dagger Records official bootleg series. The never before released recording captures the band and the mounting excitement that took place just weeks before the release of Electric Ladyland.
    Blu-ray: includes the acclaimed full-length documentary At Last… The Beginning: The Making of Electric Ladyland plus a new 5.1 surround sound mix of the entire original album by Hendrix’s original engineer Eddie Kramer plus the original stereo mixes in uncompressed 24 bit/96 kz high resolution audio.

Tracklist
    [CD1 - Electric Ladyland: The Original Album (Newly Remastered)]
    1. … And the Gods Made Love
    2. Have You Ever Been (To Electric Ladyland)
    3. Crosstown Traffic
    4. Voodoo Chile
    5. Little Miss Strange
    6. Long Hot Summer Night
    7. Come On (Part I)
    8. Gypsy Eyes
    9. Burning of the Midnight Lamp
    10. Rainy Day, Dream Away
    11. 1983….(A Merman I Should Turn To Be)
    12. Moon, Turn the Tides….Gently Gently Away
    13. Still Raining, Still Dreaming
    14. House Burning Down
    15. All Along the Watchtower
    16. Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

[CD2 - Electric Ladyland: The Early Takes]
    1. 1983…(A Merman I Should Turn To Be)
    2. Voodoo Chile
    3. Cherokee Mist
    4. Hear My Train A Comin’
    5. Angel
    6. Gypsy Eyes
    7. Somewhere
    8. Long Hot Summer Night [Demo 1]
    9. Long Hot Summer Night [Demo 3]
    10. Long Hot Summer Night [Demo 4]
    11. Snowballs At My Window
    12. My Friend
    13. At Last…The Beginning
    14. Angel Caterina (1983)
    15. Little Miss Strange
    16. Long Hot Summer Night [Take 1]
    17. Long Hot Summer Night [Take 14]
    18. Rainy Day, Dream Away
    19. Rainy Day Shuffle
    20. 1983...(A Merman I Should Turn To Be)

[CD3 - Jimi Hendrix Experience: Live At The Hollywood Bowl 9/14/68]
    1. Introduction
    2. Are You Experienced
    3. Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
    4. Red House
    5. Foxey Lady
    6. Fire
    7. Hey Joe
    8. Sunshine of Your Love
    9. I Won’t Live Today
    10. Little Wing
    11. Star Spangled Banner
    12. Purple Haze

[Blu-ray]
    1. At Last… The Beginning: The Making of Electric Ladyland documentary
    2. Electric Ladyland Uncompressed LPCM Stereo 24b/96k
    3. Electric Ladyland Uncompressed LPCM 5.1 Surround 24b/96k
    4. Electric Ladyland DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 Surround 24b/96k
    Amazon USA
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GGPT67F/?tag=imwan-20

Amazon Canada
    Available for pre-order soon:
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07GGPT67F/?tag=imwanca-20

Amazon UK
    Available for pre-order soon:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GGPT67F/?tag=imwan-21

Well this is a pleasant surprise, I was under the impression that Kramer was opposed to surround mixes.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 09-14-2018 at 07:25 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    GASP! Moar Jimi in 5.1, pls, thx.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Fuck, the White Album in 5.1 is out, fuck fuck fuckk
    Last edited by botley; 11-09-2018 at 11:27 AM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Fuck, the White Album in 5.1 is out, fuck fuck fuckk
    HELL YEAH! Also, Rutherford Chang's job just became harder.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Apparently the recent Moody Blues release is an upmix and a bad one at that.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Apparently the recent Moody Blues release is an upmix and a bad one at that.
    Ugh. I hate upmixes. Anybody can make them with free software these days...

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    @onthewall2983 you should definitely pick up the rest of the king crimson 5.1 CD/DVD sets. they're all really fantastic. discipline, in particular, because of the nature of the instrumentation on the album, really lends itself to surround.
    When I got the 81-84 box last year, I put on the Discipline blu mix and really liked it. There are moments in these mixes that really stand out and make the experience worthwhile. Tony Levin's backing vocal on "Frame By Frame" was one of those for me, and hearing them play it in Chicago at the show we went to really kind of brought it back for me. On the other hand, the one created for THRAK I haven't embraced yet, since I was not really bowled over by the new stereo mix, but I'll give it another shot at some point.

I've bought quite a few CD/DVD sets this year that I haven't quite gotten to the surrounds yet. Namely for the sake of my dependence upon air-conditioning. The unit is so loud that I know it would ruin the experience. Soon as the cold weather sets in, I'll dig into what I got this year. Opeth's Ghost Reveries and Watershed, and Nosound's A Sense of Loss ​in particular.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Be careful, there. I seem to recall Ghost Reveries' 5.1 mix to be absolutely god-awful

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I'm not as good at spotting bad ones (I revisited some of the Genesis titles I mentioned before, and changed my tune on those) but I did listen to a minute or two of it and wasn't really blown away. So, not surprised there.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    the one created for THRAK I haven't embraced yet, since I was not really bowled over by the new stereo mix, but I'll give it another shot at some point.
    Oh, my dude, it is 100% worth taking the THRAK journey in 5.1, I'd never heard a mix before where there were two drummers split up like that (one in the FRONT and one in the REAR). It's pretty trippy and immersive, in the best way.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    if you can find them, i highly recommend the 3 surround mixes the flaming lips did. soft bulletin, yoshimi & mystics. especially soft bulletin.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    I have those three, as well as the Blue Man Group albums. I liked Yoshimi the best, but then that's the album that introduced the band to me so of course I would.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    i recently retired on disability so the big expensive deluxe sets are a thing of the past. that being said, a friend is sending me the blu ray of abbey road. looking forward to taking the atmos mix for a spin!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    A lesser-known 5.1 mix that always mesmerizes me: Goldfrapp's "Tales of Us". Just... wow.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Be careful, there. I seem to recall Ghost Reveries' 5.1 mix to be absolutely god-awful
    It's not a particularly "awesome" mix. Most of the sound is front and center, with minimal surround activity. It's extremely close to a rechanneling rather than a full 5.1 mix. Also, it's not hi-res, so AC3 or DTS @ 640 Kbps.

Waiting to receive my In Cauda Venenum box set; I've heard good things about the 5.1 mix.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Beatles releases so far (Peppers, White, Abbey) have really annoyed me. It's been a real challenge tracking down the single 5.1 disc on the secondary market. I haven't even really tried yet with Abbey Road, but it really seems like a missed opportunity to not release them separately from the boxed set.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    The boxes as a full package are worth it, and usually sold at decent prices second-hand. The book that came with the White Album set was a real page-turner for me.

Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    don't remember if i've mentioned this in this thread before but the most disappointing 5.1 mixes i've ever heard are from the Pixies Minotaur box set. they basically sound like stereo mixes with a little bit of echo in the rear channels as if you're hearing the PA reflect off the back of the "venue"

at least the vinyl in that box sounds good

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    The boxes as a full package are worth it, and usually sold at decent prices second-hand. The book that came with the White Album set was a real page-turner for me.
    Yeah, I like that book a lot, plus it came with the full-sized poster and portraits from the original album — and a hi-resolution flat transfer of the original mono master on the Blu-ray! Haven't got Pepper, but my super-deluxe Abbey Road is on its way... heard the Atmos multi-channel mix on that is outstanding.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    listening to the atmos mix of abbey road right now. its a stunner!!!!