Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Terminator: Dark Fate was OK!

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I'm in a bar and arnie's looking behind my shoulder

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Kinda sad its getting yucky reviews. I was looking forward to this. To those who have seen it, what are its flaws?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Kinda sad its getting yucky reviews. I was looking forward to this. To those who have seen it, what are its flaws?
    *spoilers*

Characters spouting exposition to explain everything happening on the screen at any one given time.
    So many quotes from the original movies, pandering.
    Schwarzenegger Terminator is a sad joke now, who's every second line is tone deaf comic relief.
    John Connor's "I'm the bad guy now, grrrrr" is a sad gimmick with no pay off.
    Wait, why did John Connor go back in time anyway? To be a terminator? To build Skynet? What? Doesn't really make much sense.
    Phoned in characters and performances, such as J.K. Simmon's pointless detective, who served no function to the plot and could just as easily have been cut.
    Pretends to build upon original movie, but instead wastes it by negating the original terminator threat with a single bullet around the time the introductory credits roll around.
    Whoever the fuck thought "Pops" was a good idea, christ.
    "Pops. Pops! Pops...", etc.
    Pops becoming a liquid metal T1000 for some absurd, non-explained reason in the last 5 minutes of the movie.
    Jai Courtney has the charisma of a brick.
    Emilia Clarke is horribly miscast.
    Last 20 minutes spent running around a building while holographic-boy-skynet yells at them. Like in Resident Evil. Only dumber.
    Any trace of the subtlety gone.
    Matt Smith wasted.
    PG 13 or no, lack of body horror to propel the plot or build characters- a la the terminator's eye removal in T1 or flayed arm in T2.

I could continue, but I want to kill myself.

Edit: Oh god, and they don't bother to detail why Schwarzenegger is a good guy again, or where he came from this time round. Which would be fine, honestly, if it didn't reek of sequel bating bullshit.

Edit 2: Oh fuck, I forgot about the MRI machine. An MRI machine can incapacitate a terminator apparently, because of magnets. So fucking stupid. I'm pretty sure Reese said something like "That MRI scanner wont slow him down for long".

Edit 3: Cell phones are evil now, and going to kill all of us because we're all connected to Skynet already. Given there's a PHONE GAME TIE-IN PROMOTION ON RIGHT NOW, FUCK YOU MOVIE.

Hnnnnnnn.
    Last edited by DF118; 06-30-2015 at 11:16 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Jesus.... That makes me sad. I'll still go see it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'll still go see it, but my suspicions were correct, its shite apparently.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    If you go into this movie expecting quality of the first two movies....of course its going to suck. That being said, I enjoyed this movie much more than I thought possible. The recreations of the scenes from the first movie had me nerding out, bad John Connor worked for me....so did the Asian T1000.

This felt like a true sequel to the first two movies, and I wouldn't be mad if they made more. I may be in the minority here.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Thought this movie fucking ruled to be honest, I agree that this felt like a true sequel to T2, it would make more sense. But it's fun, some very cool callbacks to the first two films, and not boring like Salvation was. I don't know about you guys, but I think Jason Clarke is really fucking cool and really good in this movie.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spiralout View Post
    If you go into this movie expecting quality of the first two movies....of course its going to suck. That being said, I enjoyed this movie much more than I thought possible. The recreations of the scenes from the first movie had me nerding out, bad John Connor worked for me....so did the Asian T1000.

This felt like a true sequel to the first two movies, and I wouldn't be mad if they made more. I may be in the minority here.
    Too bad Robert Patrick wasn't in this. Did you know that Billy Idol was the first choice to play the T1000, that would have been cool.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    What the fuck is up with this?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spiralout View Post
    felt like a true sequel to the first two movies,
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    I agree that this felt like a true sequel to T2, it would make more sense. But it's fun, some very cool callbacks to the first two films,
    Right. Not to come across as pretentious, but the first movie was a straight up slasher. Genisys isn't that.

T2 was much more meaningful- it's considered both to be a treatise on changing attitudes towards "family" in the 90's, and an important text in modern feminist filmmaking. That's T2s actual legacy, it's about as important as the first Alien.

This one's like: "Hey, remember that gag in T2 where the Terminator smiled? Do that again except 10 times and fuck it just be as derivative as possible".

I hate everything about this movie, it epitomizes everything that's wrong with hollywood.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    My wife and I dug it. It had its cheese moments for sure (the helicopter chase made me kinda roll my eyes) but hey, decent action summer movie. A few too many winks at the first ones (as has been said, 'we get it...it's awkward when he smiles....no really, we get it....why are you doing it again') but we had fun.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    That's good to hear

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Ok, I eat my words. It isn't shit! Went to see it last night and incredulously I actually quite enjoyed it, somewhat. Its better than T3, no doubt. But I preferred T4 over this new one, I think. Will definitely go see it again.

However, there are a few glaringly obvious bad points, primarily associated with the casting. Terrible. Pretty much all of it. John Connor and those terrible fake scars, Kyle Reese played by a wooden actor who is way too good looking to pull off the character haha. Sarah Connor, I dunno, Emilia Clarke, just doesn't have the screen presence Linda Hamilton had she's not terrible, just not 100% right for the role.

This movie is fun. That's about it. It doesn't have an ounce of the atmosphere from the first 2. But the terminator's teeth!!! Oh man

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I thought it was joyless, convoluted, and stupid.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I enjoyed it but have two questions. Why was Judgement Day moved from 1997 to 2017, and who sent back Guardian to 1973 to protect Sarah Conner? And who killed her parents?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I enjoyed it but have two questions. Why was Judgement Day moved from 1997 to 2017, and who sent back Guardian to 1973 to protect Sarah Conner? And who killed her parents?
    The way I saw it, was that The Guardian and Sarah eliminating the original terminator caused Judgement Day to be pushed back due to the technology (arm and chip) not being available.

The Guardian mentions that the files relating to who sent him back were erased. I don't recall a follow up to this.... possibly saved for a sequel.

I don't know who killed her parents.... looks like Pops did it in the flash back.... he was holding a a rocket launcher after all. Idk if that makes sense though.

Any other thoughts?

This movie was typical summer popcorn flick and a pretty much a cash grab, but being a huge fan of this franchise I really see this movie as a worthy addition and I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I hate to say it but this movie was good! I expected it to suck, but it was fun, I liked how much it played with time travel and changing the events of the previous movies. And Arnold was really good in it, the Guardian is a really great take on an aging terminator who spent decades (because of his programming) raising a girl, and having the ability to learn and adopt. He was the highlight of the movie for sure.
    Go and see it, as bad as the trailers make it look it's actually a great summer popcorn movie!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Yeah, agreed with hellospaceboy

I've seen it twice in the cinema now and I think its kinda ok

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    This movie fucking sucked. I'm ready to defend Salvation with all my strength as a Terminator fanboy, but this shit?
    I'm not gonna go into details, @DF118 post summed it all up nicely. This movie was doomed the second someone invented this evil John Connor bullshit. If this film has its sequel (please god no), we'll likely see him again as a positive character from yet another timeline who miraculously timetravels into T6 realm to unfuck things up. (Or he's gonna be a legit Sarah and Kyle son this time). Oh and obviously moar time travel and Arnold fighting machines superior than him (T-1000000 from Battle Across Time, anyone?).

All everyone ever wanted for Terminator sequel is a future-set film with epic laser battles and shit that ends with John sending Kyle and reprogrammed T800 to 1984 and 1995, essentially closing the loop. Is it so fucking hard to properly execute without inventing new and unnecessary terminator types and stupid plot twists in each film?

ps I actually liked J. K. Simmons character and wish he had a bigger role in this film.
    Last edited by fillow; 07-13-2015 at 08:13 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This movie was the stupidest piece of shit ive seen in many years.

Im glad it flopped.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Yeah, I don't see JC directing it, unless he pushes his Avatar soap opera to 2075.
    Other than that, consider me slightly intrigued (but not too much).
    Last edited by fillow; 09-20-2017 at 12:15 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I'm over the moon about this. I legitimately almost cried when I read that. The only bummer is that JC isn't directing BUT he's involved, which means I would personally consider this cannon. I've been saying for years that I would love to see Cameron ignore all the movies after T2 and finish the series his way, pretending all the other films didn't even happen. And now it's going to actually happen. And Linda Hamilton is coming back. Oh my god, this is amazing.

PLEASE don't let this suck.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I liked Avatar when it came out, but it doesn't need 4 sequels. That's insane. Plus, he's already waited for a decade, so what's another year or two? The first one isn't slated to come out until December of 2020 anyway, which is over 3 years away.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Meh. Weren't Salvation and Genisys supposed to be the the first movies of new trilogies?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Meh. Weren't Salvation and Genisys supposed to be the the first movies of new trilogies?
    Maybe they were, and this next one will complete the trilogy of "meh"

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Maybe - and this is just a guess - they should work on making a good movie instead of just throwing shit at a wall.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    They need to focus on making THIS movie great, not planning a trilogy that may or may not go anywhere (like the previous two entries, both of which were meant to begin a new trilogy and ultimately failed – twice in a row). Both of the first installments were created with no thought given to potential sequels. Cameron just made the best movie he could and didn't worry about the next one. They left it all on the stage without trying to set up a franchise and that's the problem (one of the many, including bad actors, bad writing, and mediocre directors) with the last three installments (of which Salvation is my favorite). Don't announce or even plan on a trilogy until the first movie is successful enough to merit the follow-up sequels.