Thread: Terminator: Dark Fate was OK!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    And what happened to Robert Patrick?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    He’s living his best life, riding his Harley everywhere. They had a terminator reunion recently at a con...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1U4s0cn...=1kmtucva8mfr8

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    And they de-aged him with a body double to appear as the 1984 terminator in Terminator: Genisys.
    It was both Genisys AND Salvation. In Genisys they simultaneously went the ageing flesh route. Still, your point is totally fair.
    But honestly, the most annoying trope of the whole series is that they just have to keep introducing new models of Terminators. T1000, then Terminatrix, then Marcus, then John Connorator, and they are doing this again. Ugh, just stop. Is it so hard to write an entertaining story with whatever characters and robots we already have?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Is it so hard to write an entertaining story with whatever characters and robots we already have?
    new robots = new action figures to sell to children.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    He doesn't like to reprise roles, they couldn't get him back on the X Files either.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    There might be a new GN'R song for the movie:

https://loudwire.com/guns-n-roses-ru...minator-movie/

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellyrific View Post
    He’s living his best life, riding his Harley everywhere. They had a terminator reunion recently at a con...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1U4s0cnopB/?igshid=1kmtucva8mfr8
    He's also in Soderbergh's Netflix movie The Laundromat, with Meryl Streep and Gary Oldman.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Reviews of Dark Fate are in and...it's not awful...WHAT?....WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Reviews of Dark Fate are in and...it's not awful...WHAT?....WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!
    That's great news. I'm going to see it tomorrow - difficult to describe my mindset; I adore the first 2 films, but despised the last one, Genisys, for many reasons but the 2 main reasons were the awful casting and overall timeline/story mess-up.

Every time I'm optimistic for one of these sequels, I get let down, but its difficult not to be optimistic because I loved the first 2 so much and I want the new ones to be great.

I guess I'm cautiously excited! haha

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Same! I was going to give this a miss (or at least wait til next weekend)...but now i want to see it. Some reviews have been on par with what we all thought it would be, and a good chunk have all said it's the best since the original 2 and an entertaining film...and honestly that's all i've ever wanted from these films.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutilated View Post
    That's great news. I'm going to see it tomorrow - difficult to describe my mindset; I adore the first 2 films, but despised the last one, Genisys, for many reasons but the 2 main reasons were the awful casting and overall timeline/story mess-up.

Every time I'm optimistic for one of these sequels, I get let down, but its difficult not to be optimistic because I loved the first 2 so much and I want the new ones to be great.

Early screening or what? Also, just curious, but have you hated all three sequels? I personally found Salvation to be a somewhat decent movie, but the others have been pretty disappointing.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellyrific View Post

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1U4s0cn...=1kmtucva8mfr8
    Is... is that budnick from salute your shorts in the middle in front of MB?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Lol yup

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    He was in T2

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    He was in T2
    Yes I know. He didn’t have a name in that movie so I still called him budnick.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Yes I know. He didn’t have a name in that movie so I still called him budnick.
    I may feel stupid once I realize who she is... but who's the hot chick next to Edward Furlong?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I may feel stupid once I realize who she is... but who's the hot chick next to Edward Furlong?
    Kristanna Loken aka T-X from T3

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Kristanna Loken aka T-X from T3
    Okay, no wonder. I was assuming she was supposed to be someone from T2. You know, because everyone else there is.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I didn't recognize her either, but she was tagged on the photo

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutilated View Post

I liked Salvation. Its biggest flaw is the frequency of Christian Bale telling everyone he's John Connor, and so emphatically. We know. Jesus. Stop. Haha

Saw Dark Fate yesterday.

It follows the same aesthetic as Rise and Genisys, however the casting is better if not yet quite 100% on point. Overall, it wasn't a disaster, which is a massive positive.

Still nowhere near the atmosphere of the first two. I think atmosphere is key and its where Salvation won extra points...

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I just posted in my cinema thread,

Some bits i really liked (the opening was spot on) Grace was great, it definitely felt more like a sequel to T2 in tone, casting was much better, but my biggest positive is it definitively ends the Arnie Terminator/Conner storyline (which i think most fans were getting really sick of with every films being about the same few characters) and opens it up to do something with newer characters and stories. Not a perfect film (some CGI is off, some pacing, the length and why were some scenes so bloody dark? i know it's in the title but jeez i couldn't see anything!) but for me it's the best of the post T2 sequels, it stuck to the originals while doing something different with the story and (mostly) sticking the landing.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I echo Haysey mostly. There are good and bad things that pop up throughout. Overall I'd give this 2.5 stars or a C. Mackenzie Davis is really strong as Grace. Saves the movie from an acting perspective. Linda Hamilton is good at times and cringey at others (some of that is the attempts at humor that Tim Miller (Deadpool) injects. The girl they are trying to save is invisible. They give her nothing of merit to do or say until maybe the very end. Arnold & the Rev9 Terminator guy don't bring much, but that's expected in those roles.

The movie starts off strong and kept me interested for a while. They lost me with the explanation for the T-800. It's embarrassing, cringey, doesn't fit with the main roots of this whole saga & kinda ruined the story for me.

How does a movie have a $185 million budget & still have CGI this bad? Almost everything with the Rev9 looks as bad as we were all worried about in the trailers. His movements, his nano tech, none of it looks real. It's garbage. Arnold looks okay during the big fight scene he's in. The action scenes are still really good, but the CGI drags it down. Movie starts and ends with two really good action sequences. The final fight is excellent. The stuff before it with the plane & the dam is nonsense though.

Ignore any trash u read online about feminist messages being forced at the audience (not that I would have much of an issue with that anyway). This movie is no more feminist than T2, which also highlights badass women being tough. That's all that's happening here, and it's always been an integral part of the mythos. But there's certainly no heavyhandedness here imo.

Seeing this on a massive Dolby Cinema screen with bananas surround sound certainly made this more entertaining. I would recommend seeing it that way if you're on the fence. I imagine his will be worse at home.

Oh, and here you go...but warning heeeeavvvvy spoilers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Get woke, go...

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Also, why was there a snow plow truck hanging around a factory in MEXICO CITY? How convenient.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Got my second terminator tattoo last week. Someone saw it and proceeded to explain to me what happens during the molten steel scene... like I didn’t know it. “You know they throw it in the fire at the end, right??”

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Just finished watching "Dark Fate" and I quite enjoyed it... I felt it was engaging throughout and I liked the story. Some of the CGI in parts looked not quite right but those moments were quick.

I still like T2 more.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    So apparently there was a Terminator Game released last year that, according to some game YouTubers i follow and have only just heard about this themselves, is actually alright? It's basically Fallout 4 lite, but is dripping with Terminator style and references...and has a dating system and you can sleep with potential mates...WHAT?!

...How did i miss this?! Terminator: Resistance if your interested, it even has a 4 stars on amazon!

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Just finished watching "Dark Fate" and I quite enjoyed it... I felt it was engaging throughout and I liked the story. Some of the CGI in parts looked not quite right but those moments were quick.

I still like T2 more.
    i'm watching it now. not bad!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    So apparently there was a Terminator Game released last year that, according to some game YouTubers i follow and have only just heard about this themselves, is actually alright? It's basically Fallout 4 lite, but is dripping with Terminator style and references...and has a dating system and you can sleep with potential mates...WHAT?!

...How did i miss this?! Terminator: Resistance if your interested, it even has a 4 stars on amazon!
    I grabbed a copy after Sterlings review. I've only had time to play it for an hour but so far I'm enjoying it

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Haven't played it, but the reviews scores are quite poor:

Metacritic: 59/100 (PC) | 47/100 (PS4) | 55/100 (XBOX)
    Destructoid: 4/10 (PS4)
    IGN: 4/10
    OPM (UK): 5/10 (PS4)
    VG247: 2/5 stars (PS4)
    Push Square: 5/10 (PS4)