Likes Likes:  0
Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: How awful will this cover be?

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    I dislike the random key changes, the choppy orchestration... what... I'm watching the X-Factor thing. I don't even know if someone who's never heard it previously would understand it as a cohesive song.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidpolly View Post
    the whole thing actually makes me wonder if the artist has a right to prohibit other "musicians" to covering his songs? or it's enough to get permission from the label?
    I'd wager it depends on the contract that the music was created under. It probably differs from artist to artist.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by playwithfire View Post
    I dislike the random key changes, the choppy orchestration... what... I'm watching the X-Factor thing. I don't even know if someone who's never heard it previously would understand it as a cohesive song.
    I had to walk away after two lines of the X-factor performance. Nothing to do with the quality of the performance, it was just so weird to hear it live

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Honestly, I prefer this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wish everybody would leave hurt the hell alone. The "Man In Black" already covered it and nailed it. I do not need to hear 50 versions of hurt. I'm just fine with the original and JC's version.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    seriously, there's plenty of newer and amazing songs to cover other than hurt. i'm sick of it to the point where i'm unable to enjoy it live.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinki Di View Post
    Guess what? It's not that bad.
    Leona has a really pretty voice, she can sing. Yes. But it's hard to believe what she sings when a tv show made her famous and she has nothing to do with the lyrics.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    at work listening to the radio and this comes on and at the end it is mentioned as a nin cover

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty79 View Post
    at work listening to the radio and this comes on and at the end it is mentioned as a nin cover

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Hurt covers you say?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Oh god, she's just done it again live on the Royal Variety Performance. How very dare they.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think it will be accurate to assume she has no idea what Nine Inch Nails is
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/16178204

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Hundredth have a video for their awful cover: the lead singer looks so into it, it's hilarious

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    At least she's using that flatted 5th note in the verses, and not Cash's general chords.

The cover is not atrocious, per se (EDIT: oh, well, I just got to the second verse and chorus - ummm, pop pop pop), but I'm really disappointed to see this being trotted around. Why the hell cover this song to make your name?

This reminds me of Adam Lambert making strides in American Idol covering "Mad World", and his version was very, very similar to Gary Jules' version, but I wondered about the familiarity of fans with Tears For Fears.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Hundredth have a video for their awful cover: the lead singer looks so into it, it's hilarious
    Meh... One would at least think that they'd be OK with the word SHIT instead of thorns.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobochic View Post
    Meh... One would at least think that they'd be OK with the word SHIT instead of thorns.
    Or, you could go the Leona Lewis route, and leave out that line entirely - all the better to quickly get back to that poppy refrain!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    Or, you could go the Leona Lewis route, and leave out that line entirely - all the better to quickly get back to that poppy refrain!
    srsly? I've avoided that cover so far, I'm afraid I have to hear it to believe it now...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    the music in the Hundredth cover is decent but...the singer... please...die...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    earlier this year there was a topic about full album cover project, successfully funded through kickstarter.com
    first demo is here - http://inversephase.bandcamp.com/tra...ameboy-monomix
    looking forward to that one, i think it deserves a separate topic

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post

The cover is not atrocious, per se (EDIT: oh, well, I just got to the second verse and chorus - ummm, pop pop pop), but I'm really disappointed to see this being trotted around. Why the hell cover this song to make your name?
    1) riding on TR's coattails
    2) thinking that little of TR's edginess will rub off on them if they cover it
    3) maybe they really like the song

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well since we´re talking bout Hurt covers this is my own personal take on that one...
    It's kind off a NIN "instrumental cover" with the Cash vocal melody on it...
    Im not sure if it's good or not but im pretty sure it's better than the Leona Lewis one

http://soundcloud.com/the-lazy-pilgrims/hurt-vocal
    Last edited by prozac; 12-22-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I dig it! Nice find, Ben.