Thread: Second last songs on albums

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Second to last songs on albums

I was just thinking about this when I was driving earlier. Have you ever noticed how the second last song on albums in general tend to be... I don't know, what's the best word for it? Obscure? I find that quite often I forget what the second last song on an album is, quite possibly because the best is saved for last and overtakes it in my mind. When an artist puts together a final track listing, I wonder how that second last one is chosen?

In any case, what are your thoughts on second last songs on albums? Concept albums are a slightly different story, but generally speaking, I'd like to hear some opinions.
    Last edited by Ryan; 01-18-2015 at 05:09 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Second to last you mean? "Second last" could mean hidden tracks to some.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    What's the difference? They mean the same thing. And only an idiot would assume he means hidden tracks too.

Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    why the fuck could it not mean "hidden tracks" too?
    @Ryan , what albums got you thinking about this?
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-18-2015 at 12:44 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Yep, my bad. I for some reason thought by hidden tracks that meant bonus tracks. Apologies onthewall203383, I am the idiot. It's still looking into it deeper than what was probably originally intended. One that comes to mind is Half on Superunknown by Soundgarden.
    Last edited by Madmya; 01-18-2015 at 01:37 AM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    why the fuck could it not mean "hidden tracks" too?
    @Ryan , what albums got you thinking about this?
    None in particular, though Sorry Doesn't Help from Years Of Refusal by Morrissey sprung to mind, and Faust from the new album from Emigrate, Silent So Long. There always just seems to be some sort of samey feel to second last songs on albums to me. They are by no means bad, but always seem to get tucked away into that forgettable little spot of a record and are indeed easily forgotten, even though the songs in question may kick ass.

Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    My bad too, @Madmya .

I thought that you were saying that a hidden track couldn't count as the last song on the album...my apologies as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This.

Whether or not you like the band, this track is awesome. The song after, not so much.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    there are a lot of exceptions to this: "Beside You in Time," "In This Twilight," "The Reflecting God," "The Last Day on Earth," "Ohne Dich," "Feuer und Wasser," "Breņa," "Reflection," etc.

but then i guess most Rammstein records do it — actually, any song- (rather than album-) focused band basically does this.

albums get often stacked the same way you write argumentative papers: strong opening, best evidence up front, least convincing points at the end, then a fitting conclusion.

i'd say Devin Townsend and Radiohead are good at avoiding this expectation, though.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I checked a handful of CDs scattered around and found these songs: “The Jean Genie”, “Suffragette City”, “The Man Who Sold The World”, “Big Brother” and “I'm Afraid Of Americans”

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    ah, so you mean second TO last songs... penultimate, etc.

in that case, going with two big guns. shades of grey.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    there are a lot of exceptions to this: ..."The Reflecting God,"...
    If you are "counting" the hidden track ("Track 99" AKA "Empty sounds of hate") in "Antichrist Superstar", i would say it's true, "The Man that you Fear" is one of Manson's "darkest" and most depressive tunes ever...

This applies perfectly to Alice in Chains "Dirt", I'm always relieved when "Would?" plays after the darkness of "Angry chair" (then again "Dirt" is a very dramatic and dark album...)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Now that you put emphasis on this, I have noticed as well about second to last tracks. Do you mean obscure for the band itself? Off the top of my head, Blindside's track "Roads" was pretty obscure for that album (About a burning fire), Chevelle: "An evening with el diablo" and "I get it". The last track on most albums tend to be acoustic which is a huge letdown when you have such a hard hitting album before it. It depends on the genre for me.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Yes, second TO last is what I meant.