Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Henry Rollins

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I never understood all the haters. A lot of people seem to really dislike the guy and find him unfunny. Is it because he is opinionated?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I understand why he said the words he stated in this post. However, it's probably too soon to give this type of opinion. I don't find a word he said out of line.

Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    I never understood all the haters. A lot of people seem to really dislike the guy and find him unfunny. Is it because he is opinionated?
    Me either and more than likely yeah, he never backs down from what he believes in, no matter what the backlash. Admirable in my opinion.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 08-21-2014 at 08:23 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

This was just posted in the comments to the article. I'm really trying not to start a flame war because I expressed my admiration for him earlier. But this tests that. I can understand the parent angle to what he says completely, but RW's kids are young adults now and Cobain's was still a baby. Now, that video is from 20 years ago (as if the VHS quality didn't give that away) so maybe he has a completely different take on Cobain's suicide too so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt on that.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 08-21-2014 at 08:30 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Not surprised to read such strong statements by Henry, but you gotta remember that he has had a traumatic experience during the L.A. Riots when his best friend (Joe Cole) was murdered so it's no surprise he's a bit "pro life"...

Sometimes i think Henry is as "sad" and "miserable" as any of the guys he criticizes but he just turned that "depression" and "inner anger" into writing, spoken shows, music, etc...

Certainly i don't agree with EVERYTHING he says but i've always found his opinions fascinating.
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 08-21-2014 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Excuse my grammar...

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    OMFG, that was AWESOME.

Almost 100% AGREED regarded my own friends who've killed themselves and/or tried to kill themselves.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    He is my Anger Manager, though i don't really have much of a life myself. Pretty much in agreement with the general consensus, love to listen to him don't agree 100% but more often than not i think he has pretty points. And come on Jack Off Hell, genius!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Fuck that. His perspective of suicide and depression is out of whack. Fuck that article and Rollins so hard for writing that. "Life isn’t anything but what you make it" ... yeah, easy to say that if you are a white multi-millionaire.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    Fuck that. His perspective of suicide and depression is out of whack. Fuck that article and Rollins so hard for writing that. "Life isn’t anything but what you make it" ... yeah, easy to say that if you are a white multi-millionaire.

Listen to Henry. Arm curl your problems away.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I've been reading a book about the 90s from Kennedy, the MTV woman who has a chapter on Henry Rollins, he came out with some schtick about some of the grunge bands being 'corporate sell outs' and she said that he has a company and earns a fortune doing voice overs for adverts, hmmm some hypocrisy there.

About the Robin Williams death, it's horrendous and sad, but one thing I can't comprehend about both his and Cobains death is the horrible way they did it, not a nice memory to leave loved ones with, not that I can really understand what goes through someone's mind to do that in the first place

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I don't think Henry is a multi-millionaire, he's a cult act at best and obviously he has many gigs in writing and spoken words yet i think they only cover his gas and food bills, obviously he has some money but we aren't talking about f'n Mick Jagger or Elton John...

Hell, he even attended the Kill Bill premiere just for the snacks, lol...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Henry really showed his ass on this one, & he comes off like a judgmental, ignorant prick. Stating that everyone who commits suicide "blew it" is a pretty sweeping indictment. He's basically reinforcing the idea that people who commit suicide are just a bunch of selfish assholes who don't have the mental fortitude to endure tough situations. And to add insult to injury, he implies that one's entire body of life accomplishments is negated solely by how they exited this world. Simplistic much? That's one hell of a black & white world he's living in, must be nice. He talks about how no one can understand another's personal torment & that he's no doctor, then turns around & tells suffering people to just "hang in there" & blathers some warm fuzzy "life is what you make it" mantra. Are you fucking kidding me? That is some weak-ass shit right there. Yeah Henry, we get that Joe Cole's death was tragic & senseless & deeply scarred you, but indirectly offering him up as a reason to stick around is asinine when the people you're directing that message to are in the grips of severe emotional pain & didn't know your friend. Maybe Henry needs to take his own advice & get the fuck over it already.

I understand where he's coming from in many regards, but his fundamental mistake is trying to see an irrational act such as suicide as a logical choice people are capable of making. That's just not the way it is. I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion on the ethics/rationale of suicide, but this is a great article that breaks down some of the myths surrounding suicide & depression.

The cherry on top is where Henry tells us he has "life by the neck" & is dragging it along. Seriously? The man is one big cliche. Massive loss of respect for Hank on this one. I respect his right to have an opinion about this topic, I just don't agree w/one word of it. Let's face it, suicide is a no-win situation for everyone involved. There is no bright side, period. But lambasting & shaming people who are mentally ill is loathsome & does nothing to address the issue itself.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I think when you've seen a close friend die right there next to you that does put a bit of perspective on life, its probaly Henry's angle here, it seems like he looks at it from the survivor side and this can't be pleasant place to be in, the dead dude is gone so he can't really care.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I don't think Henry is a multi-millionaire, he's a cult act at best and obviously he has many gigs in writing and spoken words yet i think they only cover his gas and food bills, obviously he has some money but we aren't talking about f'n Mick Jagger or Elton John...

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/ric...ins-net-worth/

A lot of other sites seem to report the same thing.

Either way, I'm still bubbling over that article. I've actually agreed with him on some things over the years, but his stance here is ignorant and arrogant.

Fun fact: Henry Rollins once purchased a record from me on discogs.com

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Either way, I'm still bubbling over that article. I've actually agreed with him on some things over the years, but his stance here is ignorant and arrogant.

I think $12m dollars is a bit more than 'just enough to cover gas and bills' like henryeatscereal suggested above

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

wow, i feel cheated but at the same time glad that he has that much money (as far as i'm concerned: he deserves it...), still i think those figures are a bit blown off, i guess only Henry knows the truth, if that's so i don't care it doesn't change what i feel about him...

As for the whole Robin Williams "situation": i said i don't agree 100% with him but i understand where he comes from, not surprised by all the "hate" and responses he had... Actually i don't condone suicide and i even would justify it if the person is either sick or without children (because, let's face it: you're always going to hurt someone...),
    The article @ad infinitum posted was very illustrative on this situation and it's true that the people that judge suicide clearly don't understand it (just like Henry...)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    And Henry just posted an apology on his site: http://henryrollins.com/news

For the last 9+ hours, I have been answering letters from people from all over the world. The anger is off the scale and in my opinion, well placed.
    The article I wrote in the LA Weekly about suicide caused a lot of hurt. This is perhaps one of the bigger understatements of all time. I read all the letters. Some of them were very long and the disappointment, resentment and ringing clarity was jarring.
    That I hurt anyone by what I said, and I did hurt many, disgusts me. It was not at all my intent but it most certainly was the result.
    I have had a life of depression. Some days are excruciating. Knowing what I know and having been through what I have, I should have known better but I obviously did not. I get so mad when I hear that someone has died this way. Not mad at them, mad at whatever got them there and that no one magically appeared to somehow save them.
    I am not asking for a break from the caning, take me to the woodshed as much as you see fit. If what I said has caused you to be done with me, I get it.
    I wrote something for the LA Weekly that they will post on Monday.
    I wanted to get this out at this moment.
    I am deeply sorry. Down to my marrow. I can’t think that means anything to you, but I am. Completely sorry. It is not of my interest to hurt anyone but I know I did. Thank you for reading this. Henry

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm satisfied and not really surprised at how quickly he's responded to this. If it was nearly anybody else it would sound phony, but I get that he has such a dedicated following and how dedicated he is to answering to everything he can. I can understand that kind of anger that would produce such an otherwise negative and flippant statement. Part of anyone's grief will include some anger. I'll be very interested to see what Monday produces.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    horrible timing with the article, decent apology (although he would have never needed to make one if he didn't post this in the first place). all in all i dont think this will sway people who have or havent been interested in him.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeDrug View Post
    horrible timing with the article, decent apology (although he would have never needed to make one if he didn't post this in the first place). all in all i dont think this will sway people who have or havent been interested in him.
    Unfortunately yes, along with me creating this thread. Majority of the thread has been on this article and not the music, which was the thread's intentions.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Well, I honestly was pissed at his original post, but his apology was not the typical "oh I got slammed for being TOO controversial so let me phone in an apology," but I wouldn't expect that from him. Honestly, his apology makes up for how sickened I was by his comments. He actually, really, authentically apologized, and I feel like he meant it.

Bravo.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post

Hahaha, great video...thanks!

Found THIS, btw:

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Unfortunately yes, along with me creating this thread. Majority of the thread has been on this article and not the music, which was the thread's intentions.
    You couldn't have forseen the article coming anymore than any of us the event which inspired it. For what it's worth if there was a better place to have posted it, then I'm sorry I didn't put it there.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    You couldn't have forseen the article coming anymore than any of us the event which inspired it. For what it's worth if there was a better place to have posted it, then I'm sorry I didn't put it there.
    Eh, it's fine. The thread is still young to prosper. Speaking of which to change the topic:

Love this cover version.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Ever since I saw his comments on DJ culture and electronic music, the guy is so far up his own ass it's not even funny.

I've enjoyed the music he's helped created over the years, but Henry Rollins has got to be one of the biggest douchebags in music.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Ever since I saw his comments on DJ culture and electronic music, the guy is so far up his own ass it's not even funny.

I've enjoyed the music he's helped created over the years, but Henry Rollins has got to be one of the biggest douchebags in music.
    He's the only active musician I've ever heard make statements about it in that light. Tons of people I know and my friends denounce electronic/dubstep music too so it's not shocking to me really. if you're referring to this, I wouldn't take it serious at all, a majority of it was probably a comedy routine anyways:

He always aims for laughs at his shows.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    kind of funny but too much like closed minded meatheads in the metal/punk world that piss me off & drag their scenes down uncreative back alleys of sceney posing. If you can't see how jungle and punk are peas in a pod, go back to watching touched by an angel

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Eh, it's fine. The thread is still young to prosper. Speaking of which to change the topic:
    [/video]

Love this cover version.
    So much better than the KORN version...

Returning to the music, i ¡'ve found that this album is one of my favorite releases by him:

Yeah i know it's actually two releases at the same time but my CD version has it that way and it works so well...
    "Drive by Shooting" EP it's one of the funniest albums ever, it's Henry at it's most hilarious form...
    "Hot Animal Machine" is "dark" Rollins, shows the perfect transition between Black Flag's style and Rollins Band music (it's actually before the debut of RB).
    If anyone don't have this i suggest you guys to check it out, it's the perfect album to understand Henry and his music...

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    He's the only active musician I've ever heard make statements about it in that light. Tons of people I know and my friends denounce electronic/dubstep music too so it's not shocking to me really. if you're referring to this, I wouldn't take it serious at all, a majority of it was probably a comedy routine anyways:

He always aims for laughs at his shows.
    Ugh, thanks Hank for the commentary on "non music fuckheads."

What instruments does this guy play again? oh, yeah, right...
    This is just stupid shit.

Is this really supposed to be a form of "stand up comedy?" Is this supposed to make me laugh?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    He does sound like he doesn't know what he is talking about when he talks about electronic music. He just inaccurately reduces it to the worst in the genre. Are there hacks in the electronic genre? Yeah, but there are in every style of music. You could easily break down any style of music to just a basic stereotype.

Don't get me wrong, I love his work and even some of his spoken word stuff. He is just an opinionated guy. He says lots of stuff I agree and disagree with.