Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 271 to 300 of 339

Thread: Mortal Kombat 11

  1. #271
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    9,218
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I can't claim to be someone who follows MK mythology or the story really, but weren't there like a billion clones of Milleena or something?
    MK9 explored/toiled with clones in the story to make clones of Kitana, which were failures.

  2. #272
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    A place both wonderful and strange
    Posts
    2,148
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I can't claim to be someone who follows MK mythology or the story really, but weren't there like a billion clones of Milleena or something?
    What @Space Suicide said. In her MKX ending she had Shang Tsung create a whole army for her, but that isn't part of the continuity (every so often an arcade ending is these days) because she's worm food currently.

    (I'm part of a loose group of MK podcasts called the Netherkast, and myself and one other guy are the MK story freaks, so if there's a question, ask away).

  3. #273
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    625
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Just sat through all 3 hours of the story mode and Spoiler: that ending was epic. Seeing Raiden with regular eyes as a mortal was freaky!

  4. #274
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Posts
    2,171
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    It's a solid game and story mode, in the relative sense
    I still greatly dislike the variations as an idea and here it's expanded in such an excruciating way. To drive home the point, where I'm at, at least two characters that aren't on the roster are fightable in the story, with full movesets from previous games. If it weren't for the variation and loot system they'd be easy to include. Very frustrating as a fan. Otherwise the story has some great moments although it's as shlocky and phoned in as ever. The graphics are outrageous

  5. #275
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is it just me or does anyone find the movement of the characters to be slower and there's a delay when you input the buttons for the special moves?

  6. #276
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Posts
    1,270
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Mine's out for delivery right now. Can't wait!

  7. #277
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    180
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    That launch trailer is great. It might be due to personal nostalgia, but the MK movie theme still slaps hard.

  8. #278
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,325
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookster426 View Post
    Is it just me or does anyone find the movement of the characters to be slower and there's a delay when you input the buttons for the special moves?
    It's intended to be slower. I'm liking it. Feels smoother and more responsive than MKX, IMO.

    A lot of people are complaining about the progression system and in-game economy. Krypt is apparently all random loot boxes. And they say it would take forever to unlock everything.

    Did play a little bit of Towers of Time. Felt cheap and broken. Which, thankfully, is getting fixed alongside the progression system.

  9. #279
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    It's intended to be slower. I'm liking it. Feels smoother and more responsive than MKX, IMO.

    A lot of people are complaining about the progression system and in-game economy. Krypt is apparently all random loot boxes. And they say it would take forever to unlock everything.

    Did play a little bit of Towers of Time. Felt cheap and broken. Which, thankfully, is getting fixed alongside the progression system.
    Well I'm sure they'll charge people $10 to unlock everything in the Krypt like they did with X. lol

  10. #280
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,325
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookster426 View Post
    Well I'm sure they'll charge people $10 to unlock everything in the Krypt like they did with X. lol
    They already have an in-game currency. It's like Injustice 2 but much worse. They're fixing them. Not sure how though.

  11. #281
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Posts
    2,171
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Even with release check off the game just feels unresponsive which is a down ward trend that started with MKX. I am playing on Xbox for the first time and for sure the co troller is simply worse than the PlayStation one. But yeah it's slow, and unresponsive, but worst I can't find a character I like playing as. The thing plays like mud and even characters I used to like, like Erron Black, Noob Saibot, and Kabal all feel kind of clunky and I'm not enjoying any of them.

    The story has its moments but it's oddly disconnected. Eventually they just drop Johnny Cage and Sonya and you never see them again, even though they're central to the first half of the story. Ending is an absolute non ending, setting up yet another reboot... And this series needs it. I really hate the variations system, I don't think loot systems have a place in fighting games. It feels like every game is soiled with bullshit rng loot systems now, even God of War would have been better without it.

    Story also has a bloat of action scenes that you just don't participate in. At one point thres a 15 minute stretch of cutscenes. And throughout the game theres a good cumulative ten minutes of characters standing there shooting hordes of people running at them. The large scale of battle doesn't feel like mortal Kombat and it's astonishingly boring.

    In a fighting game it's so much worse because I already feel like learning it is an uphill battle but loot multiplies what you have to keep track of.

    Ultimately the whole thing is a net negative to me, at least on my end they lost out on DLC cash. I'm not looking to spring at all the way things are looking
    Last edited by Wretchedest; 04-23-2019 at 03:38 PM.

  12. #282
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    9,218
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookster426 View Post
    Is it just me or does anyone find the movement of the characters to be slower and there's a delay when you input the buttons for the special moves?
    It’s not just you. I messed around last night and couldn’t really link shit together.

    My next post will be thoughts after playing this evening.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 04-23-2019 at 07:06 PM.

  13. #283
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    9,218
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Okay ruling in....

    I am enjoying the game! However the game feels a little unresponsive due to how much slower and less fast paced the game is. I'm just so used to X's fluidity. I do enjoy the new character styles and the changes made to withstanding ones, sans Erron Black.

    Upon toiling with both of my chosen mains I am feeling more confident with Skarlet moving forward over Erron Black, sadly. Skarlet has better combo juggles and potentials for punishment. Her zoning is good with high, medium and low ranges being able to be performed. Her combos for basic damage are pretty good, I got a pretty decent 8 hit combo I can dish out. I have a current record of 6/1 in online matches and they are all with Skarlet. My man Black though will be a fun character to still use as my second main, though he isn't as fun to play as he was in X. This is after one day of playing and my mind might change....

    Shao Kahn is hilarious and awesome to play as. He is so brutal and his hammer really packs a wallop. It feels like a lot of his attacks are stronger due to it.

    Anyways, I am satisfied!

  14. #284
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Posts
    2,171
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Maybe I'll try skarlet, but I'm pretty much already over it, this is the least fun I've had with mainline MK since MK4

  15. #285
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Okay ruling in....

    I am enjoying the game! However the game feels a little unresponsive due to how much slower and less fast paced the game is. I'm just so used to X's fluidity. I do enjoy the new character styles and the changes made to withstanding ones, sans Erron Black.

    Upon toiling with both of my chosen mains I am feeling more confident with Skarlet moving forward over Erron Black, sadly. Skarlet has better combo juggles and potentials for punishment. Her zoning is good with high, medium and low ranges being able to be performed. Her combos for basic damage are pretty good, I got a pretty decent 8 hit combo I can dish out. I have a current record of 6/1 in online matches and they are all with Skarlet. My man Black though will be a fun character to still use as my second main, though he isn't as fun to play as he was in X. This is after one day of playing and my mind might change....

    Shao Kahn is hilarious and awesome to play as. He is so brutal and his hammer really packs a wallop. It feels like a lot of his attacks are stronger due to it.

    Anyways, I am satisfied!
    Yeah I'm not really digging the slower pace either. However, I seem to be finding it easier to pull combos off than in the previous installment. I've only gotten through the tutorials and the first two chapters of Story Mode.

    I think I spent more time in the Krypt than I have everywhere else in the game. I seem to be opening new pathways very quickly which only add to my curiosity.

  16. #286
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,238
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    I like the slower pace of the combat, it reminds me of earlier entries... and I am glad it isn't so dependent upon dial-a-combo strings.

    I'm still going through the basics though. Might change my mind. But so far, Story mode feels like the best video game movie of all time (though not sure what that really says).

  17. #287
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    9,218
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    X Ray moves (Fatal Blow) are winners for noobs during panic round end seconds. I loathe them. I wish they could be turned off. I've hated them ever since 9.

    People that play this game online are trash, just like they are with most fighting games. Played a Sub-Zero guy that literally did ice balls and meter burn ice slides the entire match. I won the first round but after the 2nd round I stopped trying. Shit like that isn't fun to fight. Zoner cowards are too much of a hassle to bother with.

    Combos are hard to learn in this game. I watched some videos on Erron Black and his combos have extremely tight input windows to link stuff together.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 04-25-2019 at 08:20 PM.

  18. #288
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,325
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Played one online set. Throw spammer Shao Kahn. The second I figured him out and beat him, he peaced out quick.

  19. #289
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,238
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    yeah, Fatal Blows in this are not a good balancing element, and way too powerful.

    I'm going through advanced tutorials now... is this a fucking joke? The timing on these perfect counter moves is not feasible for online play AT ALL. This is ridiculous. I don't even know what kind of environment this is real in outside of E-Sports shit. This is insane.

    If this game was intended to be played online, this is just a design fault, I don't care how good your connection is, or how great your net code is... MK's been notoriously bad at... oh man, really? This perfect timing shit is pissing me off. I mean, I can do it for a tutorial, in front of a dummy... but realistically using this in combat against someone who could otherwise pummel me with a combo if I miss the perfect timing, especially considering any, AND I MEAN ANY, amount of online lag would screw it up...

    Fuck frame timing for hyper reversal advantages in fighting games.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 04-25-2019 at 09:52 PM.

  20. #290
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    9,218
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    yeah, Fatal Blows in this are not a good balancing element, and way too powerful.

    I'm going through advanced tutorials now... is this a fucking joke? The timing on these perfect counter moves is not feasible for online play AT ALL. This is ridiculous. I don't even know what kind of environment this is real in outside of E-Sports shit. This is insane.

    If this game was intended to be played online, this is just a design fault, I don't care how good your connection is, or how great your net code is... MK's been notoriously bad at... oh man, really? This perfect timing shit is pissing me off. I mean, I can do it for a tutorial, in front of a dummy... but realistically using this in combat against someone who could otherwise pummel me with a combo if I miss the perfect timing, especially considering any, AND I MEAN ANY, amount of online lag would screw it up...

    Fuck frame timing for hyper reversal advantages in fighting games.
    I commend games like this that dedicate to their hardcore players to please them and their e-sports....however it just ruins the game for everyone else. The casual, semi-hardcore players are the bread and butter for these game sales overall. The E-League stuff and tournament players are a big core group but doing things like this leaves others in a lurch. I wasn't a pro or anything at X but I could time and do basic combos that got 15%-30% damage outputs. I watched a few videos as I said above and can't even string the the juggle and linker moves together since it requires millisecond timing.

    For another example, another game I fancy (Rainbow Six: Siege) has dedicated its last two seasons of new content and maps for their e-sports league players and all its done is made HUGE maps with lots of dead space for their new content and making them redesign base game maps from launch to accommodate league play. It just...sucks. Everyone isn't into league play.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 04-25-2019 at 10:12 PM.

  21. #291
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,238
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    I guess the unspoken intent here is to make a game that can be played “casually” online, but if you wanna “be serious” there’s another level of insane timing mechanics? I guess I can appreciate that, I just feel like I wasted my time going through that tutorial cuz all that shit is straight up useless online

    i mean even Bluetooth lag is an issue here with wireless controllers

    EDIT: I'm trying to do the next tutorial section, I'm doing part 2 of building combos... I can't get Geras' first one to work... so I clicked the "View Demo" button... and the computer's instructional inputs don't land.

    This game is BROKEN.



    I finally got it after about 50 trial and error attempts, and one time it actually worked. This is sooooooooo stupid...

    What is this shit?! How does a game launch like this?! There are so many central techniques to the core "advanced mechanics" of this game that require absurd timing windows.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 04-26-2019 at 04:11 PM.

  22. #292
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    9,218
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    I hate the online for this game. It isn't fun. Aside from the achievement for 50 kasual matches I'm done with online play mostly.

  23. #293
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Posts
    2,171
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I like the way they changed x-rays, I like the notion of defensive and offensive enhances. Separating those into three thing instead of one is good sense but that's where the good sense stops. A lot of the time my enhanced moves do t proc... The timing is different? I'm just fucking dumb? I do t like that they only apply to some special moves.

    I like to play as zoners, this game hates what few zoners it has, in fact some of the shitty roster and my absent main can be attributed to the careful removing of zoning from the game. I'm just quite unhappy with it and havent played for more than ten minutes at a time since I completed the campaign

  24. #294
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    180
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I enjoyed this game for exactly a day (about the time it took me to complete the story campaign). I bought it for the Switch, wherein even the single player experience gets kicked in squarely in the balls via the games-as-a-service elements baked into almost everything. Fuck Warner Brothers.

  25. #295
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    9,218
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I like the way they changed x-rays, I like the notion of defensive and offensive enhances. Separating those into three thing instead of one is good sense but that's where the good sense stops. A lot of the time my enhanced moves do t proc... The timing is different? I'm just fucking dumb? I do t like that they only apply to some special moves.

    I like to play as zoners, this game hates what few zoners it has, in fact some of the shitty roster and my absent main can be attributed to the careful removing of zoning from the game. I'm just quite unhappy with it and havent played for more than ten minutes at a time since I completed the campaign
    It's a good game but they did a lot wrong with this one. I'll do single player story tomorrow for the first time. Haven't had time due to work.

    X > 11

  26. #296
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,325
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    I'd never buy a fighting on switch. Right out the gate, it's the inferior version. Doesn't have the power to run as well as the other platforms. Can't imagine the player base being much either tbh. Love the switch. But it's not meant for fighting games and never will be.

    I do have some gripes though.

    1) flawless block. Dumbest mechanic in the game imo. Something no one will probably bother with unless you're on the pro level. And I get the feeling the pros won't use it much either. I can land a flawless, the window you have to use your counter is pathetic. I don't see them taking out the mechanic, so hopefully they buff it and increase the time window a little bit. What makes this even worse, is that the Shao Kahn announcer voice is locked behind tutorial completion. Bullshit.

    2) throw tech. I could be wrong but it doesn't seem like I am. But forward and back throws have the exact same animation. So, how am I to do what I'm countering? Is it literially just a guessing game? Why is it so difficult to just have one dedicated button to do it like every other game (including theirs)?

    I'd complain about the in-game economy. But, they're fixing that.

    Leaked DLC list sucks. Yet again, they ignore their player base and who THEY want. It's a joke. I'm not a fan of guest characters. Should make sense and be used sparingly. And not when you have such a vast catalog of characters that didn't make the game that people really want. That pisses me off.

  27. #297
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Posts
    2,171
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I have it on switch as well and will say that as it's as much as I would need it to be in a portable situation, although in a group setting the switch invites more novel opportunities like Pokken Tournament

  28. #298
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    A place both wonderful and strange
    Posts
    2,148
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    As an update, for anyone who missed the notice, it seems the Krypt isn't at all RNG-based - with the exception of Heart chests, which are always in a fixed position, all the chests' locations are randomized, but they contain the same items, making any kind of guide to their contents a maddening-to-impossible exercise at the very best.

    Still playing. Story was great, Arcade endings also from what I've seen so far. I don't go online, just fight friends, and not touching Towers Of Time until the patch drops whch adjusts the bullshit factor and rewards are more balanced out, hopefully this week.

    Edit: Patch just dropped
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 04-29-2019 at 05:36 PM.

  29. #299
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,238
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    I'm only diving into towers to finish off my trophy list here... and again, it's absurd. But these guys are known for that...

    Anyone remember MK9, with the trophies requiring you to play for a ridiculous amount of time as EVERY character? Nobody got that trophy because it required you to play the game for practically thousands of hours. Ever since that moment, I've felt like the people who make these games have half baked ideas... and this entry is pretty much a confirmation of that.

    I'm not going to say I want my money back... I got my money's worth I guess. But... it's the last of my money these people ever get.

  30. #300
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    1,673
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Looks like the update patch for PS4 is live now with the other platforms getting it later this week - https://www.reddit.com/r/MortalKomba...il_ps4_update/

    Community gift with 500k koins, 1k souls, etc. is live and will be available until May 6th so get in there and claim them.

    I'm looking forward to seeing the time tower adjustment because I dove in hard this past weekend just to get the full experience and there were lots of controller-throwing moments that could have taken place.

Posting Permissions