Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dillinger Escape Plan (Kill posers)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Pretty good performance but Greg needs a haircut. I'm not digging whatever he's going for with his hair.

LOL facepalmed.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 05-03-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Who cares what the band looks like? This ain't the NIN section bro

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clownboat View Post
    Who cares what the band looks like? This ain't the NIN section bro
    Well no shit but still, I'm just used to seeing him with extremely short, if even there, hair.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Better quality

Greg FUCKED his head up on that bass drum... haha

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: The Dillinger Escape Plan (Kill posers)

Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Better quality

Greg FUCKED his head up on that bass drum... haha
    Behind The Wheel with Chino was amazing. Good stuff. Greg's a champ after fucking the back of his head up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Saw them perform last night at the Southgate House in Newport,Ky and it was fantastic, absolutely brutal. Lost my glasses in the first 30 seconds of them playing but worth every second of it. Also arrived at the right time as I was able to meet Greg outside the venue, was really cool and down to earth, great guy.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Thought that performance was quite unwatchable although behind the wheel with Chino went incredibly well. Anyway, I just gave the album preview a listen and holy fuck: I am SO in the mood for this band, that record can't come out soon enough! This could be their best since Miss Machine IMHO.

And I really hope for a gig around here as I couldn't go last time and the time before was just nuts. One of the best concerts I've been to...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i don't think i've ever heard chino sing in such a low register...it's weird but i like it.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    drip drip drip

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Just came over here to post that. God I love days where I wake up early.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: The Dillinger Escape Plan (Kill posers)

Been a few hours. No first impressions? Come on, guys! Help keep me at bay until I get home.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I'm quite surprised that it is actually not following a calculating infinity path which is not a bad thing IMHO. the songs are catchier, but certainly not easy on the ears and personally I think this is Greg at his peak! The album pretty much incorporates everything they have done and as I imagined judging from the preview.
    Last edited by dlb; 05-08-2013 at 02:39 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    It's really dense. There's a lot to chew on here.

First off, there's pretty much no filler! There aren't any super off-putting tracks for me—even the couple of mainstream tracks fit really well into the record. There aren't any long-winded build-up songs, no standout bullshit tracks... This is the opposite of Ire Works. On the other hand, it's fucking complex. We're talking Calculating Infinity meets "Room Full of Eyes" or something, and there's a constant forward momentum. The band doesn't really coddle you or comfort you or let you warm up to the tracks. There's a good bit of catchiness, but if you're not familiar with the band's stuff, you might wish there was a centerpiece song like "Widower" to cling to (there's not). They throw some curveballs at you, but they aren't entire tracks or anything.

Only kind of filler in there is "CH 375 268 277 ARS" which is literally the preview sample for about two and a half minutes. Not much to it.

I think the biggest takeaway for me is how clear everything is. Liam's bass has never been this audible, and it gives me a huge new appreciation for the rhythm section. Liam and Billy absolutely own this record. Even in the most chaotic moments, there's always a groovy, brawny lifeline to cling to. It's fucking deliciously good shit, man.

"Prancer" is a pretty good overall guide of what the album sounds like, really. Like I said, there's a lot to chew on.

I think they've perfected their formula here. It's their best album.
    Last edited by Clownboat; 05-08-2013 at 09:38 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

The Dillinger Escape Plan (Kill posers)

It is literally taking brute force to not download this. This will be the first album in years that I will wait for my preordered physical copy to come in

There is an exclusive version on BestBuy.com for $7.99 with 2 bonus tracks and an exclusive cover.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Yeah I think I'm going to wait for my LP to arrive to listen to it for the first time. Sounds like it's going to be a great album!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I'm going to keep it simple: this album is a destroyer. I love it already. Hard to top Option Paralysis and this might actually trump it.

Don't know why but I am in love with Hero of the Soviet Union.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    @Clownboat is spot on! While it is catchy here and there, the album totally destroys ire works and even option pralysis and is their strongest effort since miss machine IMHO.

Only weak track: nothing's funny. The rest (especially the title track, when I lost my bet, crossburner and understanding decay) ist just perfect!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    It is literally taking brute force to not download this. This will be the first album in years that I will wait for my preordered physical copy to come in

There is an exclusive version on BestBuy.com for $7.99 with 2 bonus tracks and an exclusive cover.
    I really hate the multiple versions for different retailers trend. I suppose they'll eventually do some kind of ultimate edition like they did for Option Paralysis.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merriweather View Post
    I really hate the multiple versions for different retailers trend. I suppose they'll eventually do some kind of ultimate edition like they did for Option Paralysis.
    Don't fret, one's a remix of the title track and the other is a demo of Nothing's Funny (iirc)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i have the crazy option paralysis box set and, while it's cool, the vinyl/CD combo disc is literally unplayable in any of the disc drives i own (i also bought the standard CD that's in packaging which is insanely difficult to fold back up properly), and the rest of the stuff in the box isn't really that cool...i don't wear beanies, i don't need a luggage tag, i don't really want to hang a DEP flag in my apartment, and i install TVs and other A/V equipment for a living, so i'm never going to use the thing that'll turn off any/every TV. the box itself is freakin' awesome, though.

i think i'm going to go with vinyl for the new album, even though i don't own any dillinger vinyl. i've just stopped wanting to buy CDs at all...

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    At 192 kps bitrate.... no... I want higher quality.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    they finally have an option available that isn't a stupid bundle! and it's only $18 for just the double LP, $5 shipping, and $1 tax. pretty good deal.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    My tank + cd arrived today and, after one listen, I concur with Clownboat. This is one meaty mudder fugger - lots to digest, and it does seem to be all killer, no filler. There is really no time to catch your breath, except for maybe on the title track. Greg's performance on this is a huge standout, as is the rhythm section (as previously mentioned). I feel this album takes what I liked about a lot of their more accessible tracks (Milk Lizard, Good Neighbor, etc) and spreads it throughout the album vs. having that essence encapsulated in one song - if that makes ANY sense haha.

Gonna give it a few more spins over the weekend and see what more I can pull from this. As of first listen, it's hard to fault, and totally makes me re-think my adoration of Option Paralysis as my favorite DEP album.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The Dillinger Escape Plan (Kill posers)

....and I am hooked on Dillinger again. What a great album. All the best parts of previous songs for a new album. Production is great. Can hear all parts clearly.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Is there actual video of the Reading 2002 incident?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    One of us... is my new favorite DEP record. it's sooo huge and just keeps my attention like nothing they've released before.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    This album is so deliciously violent. I don't really give a fuck about metal or aggressive music anymore. It often comes off as people who like WoW and D&D trying look tough; not that there's anything wrong with those games, it just gives me a cheesy over-compensating vibe. This band and a couple others like Helms Alee are a few of the last holdouts, and it's because they don't make metal. They make art.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Anybody looking for a high quality stream of it, Pitchfork's got you covered. My first impression is that I like this a lot more than OP which I thought was overrated to begin with. So fucking aggressive and so much heart on this.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    So I think the title track, The Hero of the Soviet Union and Crossburner will be on my Summer soundtrack.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Understanding Decay, Paranoia Shields and Crossburner are my current top 3. Hero of the Soviet Union is right up there, too.