Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Spotting 2015

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Front 242, KMFDM, Frontline Assembly, Nitzer Ebb, and Skinny Puppy ARE Industrial bands. Seriously...how's that even disputable?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Ministry was industrial for a few years there (Twitch/Rape & Honey era) before Al turned them into some boring death metal band. Manson as "industrial" is laughable. Thats like saying Green Day is a punk band.....I dont consider NIN industrial, but they at least have some roots in that scene (specifically PHM era, TR working with Pigface/Jourgensen/Dave Ogilvie, opening for Skinny Puppy etc)

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I would even say Ministry were Industrial until Psalm 69 (which I love too).

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Front 242, KMFDM, Frontline Assembly, Nitzer Ebb, and Skinny Puppy ARE Industrial bands. Seriously...how's that even disputable?
    Wrong thread ... we have an EBM section of the Controversial Music Thread just waiting for you.

Meanwhile, drift = off.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-16-2015 at 08:12 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    http://fdrmx.com/top-ten-greatest-in...al-bands-time/

take this list with a grain of salt...manson number 2? LOL....the guy who wrote it is getting decimated in the comment section
    Well, I'm gonna be "that guy" (ugh) and say repost- From Sarah earlier.

Also so good to know everyone got their W_T album 3 years before me. :/

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Also so good to know everyone got their W_T album 3 years before me. :/
    With a basic factual error like that, you have to wonder if the opinions are worth anything.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    according to this video, the Reznors in super mario world ARE in fact named for trent.

It makes since considering Wendy O Koopa, Lemmy Koopa, Iggy Koopa etc. are pretty obviously named for musical icons.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    @allegro I was responding to a NIN spotting like many others did. If that's suddenly not okay then message received, I guess.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    @allegro I was responding to a NIN spotting like many others did. If that's suddenly not okay then message received, I guess.
    allegro gets really offended by drift and usually focuses on one person in the drifting. don't take it too personally.
    i'm still of the opinion that having conversations about a spotting in the spotting thread makes way more sense than relocating the discussion to a different thread.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    allegro gets really offended by drift and usually focuses on one person in the drifting. don't take it too personally.
    i'm still of the opinion that having conversations about a spotting in the spotting thread makes way more sense than relocating the discussion to a different thread.
    I don't get "really offended" but people actually get email notifications of shit in this thread and I'm respectful of that. "Front 242, KMFDM, Frontline Assembly, Nitzer Ebb, and Skinny Puppy" and whether or not it's Industrial isn't "NIN Spotting" or even discussing a NIN Spotting. In the old days, here, you got a warning bar for drifting in NIN Spotting, and then you got hammered with flood control for crying that this isn't a Democracy. If the mods didn't have a real life, this would get split a lot more. (In the old days there were 10 mods, not 1.) No, I was not singling @Swykk out, personally. Great, more drift. ADD at its best.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-18-2015 at 05:55 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I think it should relative to context, if it's in the midst of a promotion cycle with 3-4 articles or items per day popping up then the thread could be all business. But in these in-between periods, probably letting it all breathe a little wouldn't kill anybody.

I mean, it kind of ends up working that way anyway.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    It's more draconian when it's busy, but it's up to the admins. It requires some common sense on the part of the users. But our opinions have never driven this bus, not in the 11 years I've been here, I can at least tell you that much. Not in the NIN section of the board, at least. It's never been a Democracy. If your comment begins with "I think," there's a section on the board for that.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-18-2015 at 05:54 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Does a one word reply of "Relax" count as drift?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    When these things, like my post you keep harping on, are responses to a NIN spotting they should be fair game. We're discussing a NIN spotting IN NIN Spotting.

"I'd like to respond to something you wrote in NIN spotting but geez, I can't so could you kindly follow me to this other thread? Wait! I can't post this either since it's not a NIN spotting..."

It's silly and stifling. Especially in slow news times.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    These aren't my rules. Tell it to Leviathant.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    There is no 2015 NIN spotting...Trent is in a cave...It minds well be 1998

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    But our opinions have never driven this bus, not in the 11 years I've been here, I can at least tell you that much. Not in the NIN section of the board, at least.
    Of course opinions drive the bus, it's a message board about a rock band. I have no issue with what ultimately gets handed down as rule of law regarding this thread, life is short and I don't live here despite having been on every iteration of this board in some form. It just strikes me as silly to kill/divert interesting conversation in any form when it isn't actually interfering with anything.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emptydesk View Post
    Of course opinions drive the bus, it's a message board about a rock band. I have no issue with what ultimately gets handed down as rule of law regarding this thread, life is short and I don't live here despite having been on every iteration of this board in some form. It just strikes me as silly to kill/divert interesting conversation in any form when it isn't actually interfering with anything.
    Tell that to the guy who said this in NIN Spotting:

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    He's right, it's a message board.

Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    I'll admit that diverting posts into a locked not-nin-spotting thread has been lazy of me, but I've only got so much leisure time anymore.

There's a whole forum devoted to reports and suggestions, it's only a click away, but instead we get a discussion in NIN Spotting about topic control. That's also pretty lazy.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    This is a Jay Z interview from 2013 by Zane Lowe with mention of TR at about 10 mins. I have to admit to knowing next to nothing about Jay Z, I honestly don't listen to the radio ever

Last edited by WorzelG; 02-19-2015 at 07:38 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Article about a guy called Boots who worked on Beyonce's last album.
    Jon Pareles (who I think interviewed Trent for that New York Times talk back when Social Network came out) compared him to TR minus the S&M aspect.
    http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...teps-out/?_r=0

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    2 Ghosts I played during CitizenFour's nomination at the Oscars.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Article about a guy called Boots who worked on Beyonce's last album.
    Jon Pareles (who I think interviewed Trent for that New York Times talk back when Social Network came out) compared him to TR minus the S&M aspect.
    http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...teps-out/?_r=0
    And Trent hasn't had S&M imagery as part of NIN since... what, 1994 in the Closer video? So this Jon Pareles is like 21 years out of date.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    And Trent hasn't had S&M imagery as part of NIN since... what, 1994 in the Closer video? So this Jon Pareles is like 21 years out of date.
    I need your DISCIPLINE

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    2 Ghosts I played during CitizenFour's nomination at the Oscars.
    It's also throughout the whole documentary, as well as 20 Ghosts III.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I need your DISCIPLINE
    I guess Meet Your Master and Vessel would probably meet the criteria, too. But I was specifically talking about the visuals of NIN, not the lyrics.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^even later than that, I'd say there are domination \submission themes in BBB. Jon Pareles didn't specify visuals either, he just said TR minus the S&M

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Interview with John Fryer that makes mention of playing Pretty Hate Machine to Steve Gottlieb and him looking horrified going 'you have ruined this record'

http://www.electricity-club.co.uk/john-fryer-interview

Seriously though, was PHM really so heavy that someone would think that? I guess I'm looking with hindsight here
    Last edited by WorzelG; 02-24-2015 at 12:39 PM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Interview with John Fryer that makes mention of playing Pretty Hate Machine to Steve Gottlieb and him looking horrified going 'you have ruined this record'

http://www.electricity-club.co.uk/john-fryer-interview

Seriously though, was PHM really so heavy that someone would think that? I guess I'm looking with hindsight here
    It definitely is if you compare it to the Purest Feeling demo.