Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Texas Roll Call

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    OK, so this whole thing has gotten COMPLETELY derailed and turned into the @allegro debunks @elevenism 's personal family conspiracy thread.

SO

who else is from texas? @Dra508 , you are, right?
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-04-2015 at 09:27 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    OK, so this whole thing has gotten COMPLETELY derailed and turned into the @allegro debunks @elevenism 's personal family conspiracy thread.
    Sorry, dude.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Sorry, dude.
    There's nothing to be sorry about!
    It's fascinating!
    And as far as the thread derailing, it wasn't just you.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Now that I know more info, I can do more research. I'm kind of a research addict. Lol.

@Dra508 is from New England, but she recently moved to TX with her boyfriend.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Now that I know more info, I can do more research. I'm kind of a research addict. Lol.
    i would LOVE you for it!
    Everything is oral tradition at this point.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    i would LOVE you for it!
    Everything is oral tradition at this point.
    I assume you've seen this? http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harbinger_Group

Edit: This guy did some research on Lexis: http://stuartbuck.blogspot.com/2004/...rly-1970s.html

This is in 1974: http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/41389379/

Look at the OCR text at the very bottom.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-04-2015 at 10:15 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Oh, and there's this: http://www.mocavo.com/William-Jackso...99479095295155

This says that Cactus was founded in 1975: http://www.cactusfeeders.com/about.html
    Last edited by allegro; 01-04-2015 at 10:26 PM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

I'm in deep cover right now. I think my Masshole license plate is giving me away though.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @allegro , cactus feeders now owns the feedyard here in stratford, but it was here before 75.

Thank you for finding all of that!

Do you see why the whole gow thing gives me the creeps though?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Um, back to Texas: I totally love JoJo and Chip Gaines of HGTV's "Fixer Upper," they're in Waco: http://www.hgtv.com/shows/fixer-uppe...aines-pictures

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Speaking of Charlotte, NC... I grew up there. Moved to Texas in 2000, spent a few years in Austin, the rest in Houston. I love it. True, Texas gets a lot of grief (some of it very deserved), but in general it's just a really great place. It's hard to put into words, but there's something about this state I really love. The only thing I don't like is that there's not much of a Fall season, it kind of jumps from summer straight into winter, then a very short spring & bam! Back into the heat.

Side note: the humidity in North Carolina is absolute child's play compared to the humidity/heat of South Texas. Not quite as bad as Florida, but pretty damn close.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @ad infinitum , this is for you

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I love Old 97's! Sums it perfectly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeeeeeeeeee-haaaaaaawwwwww!!! Howdy y'all?!!

EDIT: That was just a placeholder, I live in a small town southwest of Austin. I like Texas, but goddammit do I hate it here.
    Last edited by CaptainSelection; 01-25-2015 at 11:23 PM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    A little sleet and the whole territory shuts down! Bunch of babies *

* yeah yeah yeah, no plows, road treatment, it'll be warm and gone in a day.... Blah blah blah

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Currently in Tyler visiting the old lady. I'm from Miami. Loving this weather. Can't wait till I move here.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    But where I lived, you were basically considered a horrible human being if you weren't a heterosexual conservative Christian, and I spent a lot of time biting my tongue in order to make sure I didn't commit career suicide.
    I went to Tech, so I know Levelland, and the exact type you're talking about... I was so happy to get out of there.
    My mom is from the panhandle, and I have a lot of family there so I'm pretty familiar with Amarillo, Stratford, Dumas, etc, too @elevenism. Ever been through Canyon?
    I've also lived in DFW and have a lot of family in that area, too.
    I'm a military brat, so I've bounced around, but El Paso is home. Anyone else from/been through EP?

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ad infinitum View Post
    I love Old 97's! Sums it perfectly.
    philip (the drummer) worked with my dad when the '97s were first starting out, so i grew up with them.
    it's been cool...permanently guestlisted...i've seen them over 50 times. my first time in a bar was to see them (i was 14 and there were about ten people there.)
    so many cool stories...for instance, for my birthday one year i got a cassette tape of Too Far To Care (before it came out) with eight extra songs on it.
    they are one of my favorite bands of all time. of course, it was such a huge deal knowing them as a teenager, you know? So i don't know how much i would love them if i hadn't known them.

as far as backwards ass people, @natalielair and @theimage13 ... i don't hardly leave the house so i wouldn't really know! my hair is two feet long and i have 1" holes in my lobes and 1/4 inch holes in my conches, so i DO get funny looks sometimes at the Alsups and the post office.

Amarillo, though, is getting to be pretty fucking hip, oddly enough.

i've been here for the better part of three years, but i spent most of my adult life in urban dallas.
    i LOVE dallas and i miss the shit out of it but i don't really have much of a reason to justify moving back.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I was born in Tyler and have lived in Dallas for the past 12 years. I like it all right. I thought about moving to Austin but I've got kids now and I don't like hippies.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Houston has a perpetual underground community.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    i still rep the d

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by natalielair View Post
    Anyone else from/been through EP?
    I was supposed to be there for a week, but the job ended up getting canceled. For which I was relieved...there wasn't one single good thing that anyone had to say about where I was supposed to be working, and the living situation wasn't slated to be great from what I heard either. But never actually been there, so that's all just third party info.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I was supposed to be there for a week, but the job ended up getting canceled. For which I was relieved...there wasn't one single good thing that anyone had to say about where I was supposed to be working, and the living situation wasn't slated to be great from what I heard either. But never actually been there, so that's all just third party info.
    Not surprised to hear people knocking El Paso... I'm used to that. Despite whatever you heard, it is a great city. I love it here.
    Just curious, what was the job?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    You know you live in Texas when.....

You give a viewing of your bf's rent house when the woman looking to rent it says: "I don't care much about the master bath and closet, just as long as my gun safe fits in there."

'murica