Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anne Rice

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)

Anne Rice

So eleven years after Blood Canticle and what seemed to be the end of the Vampire Chronicles, Prince Lestat
    has arrived.
    I guess it's been out since Oct 28, but i didn't know.
    I had to rub my eyes...i thought i was seeing things...but it's real, and i have a copy.
    I read that she is already working on another one.

I've read all of her books up to Angel Time, and i adore her work, but Blood Canticle was a big let down for me.

I was kind of surprised we didn't have an Anne Rice thread here already.

So is anyone else reading Prince Lestat?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I am reading it, but I'm rationing it. I've only got into it a few pages, but I'm enjoying it. Nice to have Lestat back.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redshoewearer View Post
    I am reading it, but I'm rationing it. I've only got into it a few pages, but I'm enjoying it. Nice to have Lestat back.
    Rationing it...i can feel you. i finished the john grisham i was reading, THEN read Joyland by Stephen King, and then i read the appendices and introductions to Prince Lestat.

I read an article that says that this is the first true sequel to QOTD, and i can understand that. TOTBT and Memnoch were almost like sub-plots, you know? Then Pandora, Armand, Vittorio, and Blood and Gold...they were all pretty much stand-alone.
    Blackwood Farm and Merrick were all about intertwining the Mayfairs and the vampires, and Blood Canticle was fucking just awful.

I heard good things about this one though. I'm gonna read a few pages of it tonight.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I stopped reading them a while a go and decided to catch up once I heard about the new one. Just got Merrick, haven't started it though

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I adored Anne Rice and her work for many years... but it's kind of gotten away from me, especially with the seemingly end of the Vampire Chronicles. I had heard about the new book, but was kind of waiting to hear some reviews first. I've been so nostalgic lately, which is a whole other dysfunctional conversation, that I would be highly interested in reading it... If it stood to her previous standards.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @GibbonBlack , i really liked Merrick. @tfang , the new one, to me, is the first one in a long time that matches up with the first four.
    It's also the first one that directly continues the story of QOTD.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    so i am surprised not many people are posting in this thread.
    i would imagine there would be a pretty big overlap between nin fans and anne rice fans...a lot of us being the angsty teens of the mid nineties

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Prince Lestat and the Realms of Atlantis comes out 11/29/16!!!!

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    does it count that her sister, alice borchardt, is/was my favourite author in the world?
    also: is it evil to want, very badly, to write to anne rice and BEG her to finish her sisters last book?
    anne rice is the first author that i had read where i did not sleep until i finished the book. lol.
    anyway, @elevenism you really should check out her sisters work...particularly the silver wolf/wolf king/night of the wolf. she, literally, takes me out of my head and body. like, the way she put words together creates an odd fugue for me and it often takes a few minutes to fully be back here. i love it.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    does it count that her sister, alice borchardt, is/was my favourite author in the world?
    also: is it evil to want, very badly, to write to anne rice and BEG her to finish her sisters last book?
    anne rice is the first author that i had read where i did not sleep until i finished the book. lol.
    anyway, @elevenism you really should check out her sisters work...particularly the silver wolf/wolf king/night of the wolf. she, literally, takes me out of my head and body. like, the way she put words together creates an odd fugue for me and it often takes a few minutes to fully be back here. i love it.
    how have i never heard of this?
    Anne always suported her late husband's work and her son Christopher's work, but i've never heard her utter a word about her sister.

I will check it out!

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    how have i never heard of this?
    Anne always suported her late husband's work and her son Christopher's work, but i've never heard her utter a word about her sister.

I will check it out!
    i know, eh???? i found "the silver wolf" on the give away rack at the library. inhaled it in one sitting. went back and rented (from 6 different libraries, no less) the remainder of her works. inhaled them. couldn't figure out why no libraries had "the winter king", then googled and found out she died of cancer prior to finishing it. i cried, man. like rending cloth, and wailing stylz.
    anne wrote a forward or two in her books, but yeah i found it odd that i had not heard of her via anne...but then maybe not so odd since she lost her sister? i don't know. all i know is that anne rice is a wonderful writer and i have always enjoyed everything of hers i have read...but the writing alice did resonates like five alarm bells.
    please do let me know what you think when you have had a chance at reading alice.
    happy saturday, texan.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    okay so this is insane. Prince Lestat and the Realms of Atlantis is mostly so bad that i can't read it.

i am utterly baffled. is this a joke? she supposedly wrote one book and just kept writing and came up with this one.

How can the first one be a stunning tour de force and the second be like dealbreaking?
    @sweeterthan @muad'nin @redshoewearer is it just me?
    Last edited by elevenism; 02-10-2017 at 06:20 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Ahhh, @elevenism that is such a shame. I've been really been looking forward to reading the whole series again from the start, now that Anne Rice is seemingly re-energised, insofar as her motivation for continuing the series is concerned. That's a real pity.

I haven't been following news on her plans for future novels, but I wonder if any negative feedback on this one might dissuade her from carrying on with the series?

A quick question for you all; would you like to see her dedicate her efforts to working on future instalments, or instead concentrate on the next film adaptation, now that the rights to the series have reverted to her?

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    IDK @muad'nin . i don't trust her when it comes to film plans.
    She said there would be a tv minseries for The Witching Hour that never happened, like at least ten years ago.
    She said that there would be a The Vampire Lestat movie some years ago.

You know, Blood Canticle was just plain awful. And i remember struggling to get through Memnoch the Devil when it came out when i was a teenager. Maybe it sucked too, but i was too young to realize it. Like, i thought "this is Anne Rice, it's awesome and i'm just not understanding it because the first four were awesome and so this one has to be awesome too.

She can be a little hit and miss.

But this latest book does some fairly serious and undoable damage to this story i've been reading for 20 plus years by Spoiler: explaining what Amel is and why he, ahem, came to earth from the planet he lived on because he is a Space Alien and all this time the vampires have been nothing more than a host organism for these space aliens and, oh, memnoch wasn't the devil but also a space alien. And 90% of the thing is a Sci-Fi story by and about these space aliens that are called...sigh..Replimoids.
    And i am thinking "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING/why in the fuck are you UNdoing all these years of mystery with such a strange outlandish explanation? why are you trying, this late in the game, to write in a genre you've never tried and publishing it as a Vampire Chronicle? Why couldn't this have been its own experimental story?

I DEFINITELY want more books like Prince Lestat but i never, EVER want to read anything like Atlantis again in the context of the Vampires.

Sooooo....yeah.
    Last edited by elevenism; 02-11-2017 at 04:17 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    A little bit of news has surfaced on The Vampire Chronicles television series -

http://www.blastr.com/2017-4-29/vamp...ment-tv-series

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    A little bit of news has surfaced on The Vampire Chronicles television series -

http://www.blastr.com/2017-4-29/vamp...ment-tv-series
    It could happen. It seems like vampire fever comes around every few years and it's almost time

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    And i remember struggling to get through Memnoch the Devil when it came out when i was a teenager.
    I don't get into a lot of Anne Rice, but I really liked Interview with the Vampire and The Vampire Lestat, and Memnoch the Devil. That's a great book.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I don't get into a lot of Anne Rice, but I really liked Interview with the Vampire and The Vampire Lestat, and Memnoch the Devil. That's a great book.
    Well...okay then.
    I read it when it came out; i was like 15?

I DO know that this Realms of Atlantis bullshit is hard to swallow.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    The Rices answer questions in a Facebook Q&A (primarily about the new series) -

http://nerdist.com/anne-rice-reveals...les-tv-series/

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Well, hot damn. I'm 25% into Blood Communion, and, so far, it's 100% better than Realms of Atlantis.

There was a pretty big fan backlash against the whole "replimoid" space alien thing, apparently , and perhaps she is changing course a little bit.

It blows my mind that she's been writing this series longer than I've been alive- Interview came out in 76, and I'm 39. And, I've read ALL of her books, religiously, for 25 years.

It's amazing, now, just to spend time with these characters at all, as long as it's well written- she doesn't have to come up with some drastically new direction at this point.
    It sort of seems like that's what's going on here, with Blood Communion.

Did any of you guys read it? @redshoewearer , @GibbonBlack

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I still didn't read my copy of Merrick :')

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    I still didn't read my copy of Merrick :')
    ah, you'll get there I bet.

So, I saw Anne talking about the apparent Hulu series, and damn, she seems SERIOUS about getting everything exactly right. It COULD be amazing.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Is the series still a thing???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    elevenism, I agree with you that her Blood Canticle was not so much, but I wouldn't call it a big let down. She has done a great work in the field of writing business and her books - is one of the greatest motivational things, that helped me to start my writing essays career, as well as write any type of a book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ah, you'll get there I bet.

So, I saw Anne talking about the apparent Hulu series, and damn, she seems SERIOUS about getting everything exactly right. It COULD be amazing.
    Are there any established dates?

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    Is the series still a thing???
    I mean, I THINk so. Hulu picked it up, and they have a showrunner.
    There are still no established dates, though.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenz87 View Post
    elevenism, I agree with you that her Blood Canticle was not so much, but I wouldn't call it a big let down. She has done a great work in the field of writing business and her books - is one of the greatest motivational things, that helped me to start my writing essays career, as well as write any type of a book.
    that's awesome. All of this is subjective, I guess, you know?

With Blood Canticle, it just felt SO phoned in. It was like, one last vampire story before she went Christian. I really didn't like it- mostly, i didn't like LESTAT in it. I liked the other characters.

As far as "great work in the field of writing," dude, absolutely . I've read everything she's ever written, except for the two werewolf books, but, I have them and will read them.

I ADORE Anne Rice: everything from The Witching Hour, to The Mummy, to Queen of the Damned, the Christ the Lord books, Cry to Heaven, Servant of the Bones, The Feast of all Saints...you get the idea.

Her work has been a beautiful, inspiring, fulfilling delight for me, since 1993 or so -I started reading when I was 13 and never looked back.

But, I gotta say: Blood Canticle is my SECOND least favorite. It was the return of lestat, and it was a huge letdown for me, and, what was worse, was that after that underwhelming return, she had said that the vampire chronicles were OVER.

Then, Prince Lestat happened, which was just fucking STUNNING. It was also the first true sequel to QoTD, which, OMG, it tripped me out when I realized that
    I think that she didn't know where to go with the story, hence, Armand, Vittorio, Blood and Gold, Pandora, etc.

I fucking HATED Realms of Atlantis, though. I fucking rage quit that one.

BUT, I have to cut her a break. She started this series in her thirties, and now she's in her seventies. Things change. People change.

But, I felt like Atlantis sort of UNDID a whole lot of what I loved about the series.

Honestly, at this point, I'm fucking THRILLED, just to spend time with our characters: to hear about what they're up to, and what their lodgings and clothes are like, and hear them talk to one another. And that's what Blood Communion is like.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    @elevenism No I haven't! I didn't realize there was a new book. Thanks for the heads up!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Some news on the new television/film adaptation; rights to both TVC and Mayfair Witches have been picked up -

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/anne-r...hes-series-amc

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    again...