Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Family and Kids: The Thread

Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Did she eat the waffle while it was still frozen? Because I think that sounds hilarious.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I learned in my "child development" class that you're supposed to give them "choices?" That they're all about choices at that age, and about autonomy? So, say ...

"Do you want your waffle toasted? Or do you want your waffle heated up in the microwave?"

"What do you want to wear this morning? This outfit? Or this outfit?"

You're really making the choices, but you're pretending to give them the choice and they're too stupid to notice.

Eventually, they'll figure this out, but not until they're 3 or 4 and you'll have to expand the choices.

Oh believe me, I did that in both cases.
    In fact I ended up heating some in the oven, and some in the toaster: but she didn't want either.
    And then she gathered all of them on her plate.
    Same with the clothes.
    I think she's in a "no" phase - says no before she even sees what you're offering.

Mentioned
    787 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Oh believe me, I did that in both cases.
    In fact I ended up heating some in the oven, and some in the toaster: but she didn't want either.
    And then she gathered all of them on her plate.
    Same with the clothes.
    I think she's in a "no" phase - says no before she even sees what you're offering.
    Hahahahaha, SHE'S GONNA BE A LAWYER!!!!

I guess you should've done different choices, instead of two different versions of waffles. The kid obviously has good taste and wants it all.

"Okay, do you want these shitty waffles, or do you want a nice Western Omelet that actually requires some effort? How about a mimosa? And a pool boy?"

My mom used to call that shit "the stall tactic." It wasn't about breakfast, it was about delaying breakfast. But, yeah, they do go through a "no" phase. They just like the autonomy.

On Friday night, G and I went to Bennihana really early, we happened to be passing by. And we witnessed something we had NO IDEA happened at Bennihana during the early hours on Fridays.

KIDS. LOTS AND LOTS OF FAIRLY LITTLE KIDS.

HOLY SHITBALLS WERE THERE KIDS.

One mother had THREE little kids, ALL BY HERSELF she was wrangling these kids. Her son was 15 months, the middle daughter was 2 1/2 and the oldest daughter was 4. I know this because G and I had a teppanyaki table all to ourselves but this mom was at the table next to us, sharing the table with another mom/dad and their daugher who was 4, and they were all yelling to each other various factoids of get-to-know-you shit.

But WOW this mom-of-three had PATIENCE holy shit. At some point, the middle daughter wanted the onion soup but the table was too tall, so she kneeled on the chair but then she got soup all over her shirt. Of course, not her fault. So Mom was trying to negotiate this, but now the little son was SCREAMING that he wanted the soup (he was non-verbal so had no other way to communicate). So Mom finally figures out that middle daughter needs a booster chair (I had leaned over to G, "she needs a booster chair") so she summoned the mostly non-existent waiter who finally arrives with the booster chair. Mom, STILL PATIENT, ties a napkin around middle daughter's neck, puts the kid on the booster chair, and VOILA. Middle daughter could eat her own soup, leaving Mom to tend to screaming little son and make hilarious funny faces at him to get him to shut up. The oldest daughter was in her own world with her food and her dolly, not very helpful at all.

So G and I looked away for a little while, and when I looked back at Patient Mom, she was giving Little Son fried rice by first looking around to see if anyone noticed, then putting it on the teppanyaki table, then letting him pick it up with his hands on his own. HEY, WHATEVER WORKS. LOL, watching this woman handle three kids so patiently and deftly and keeping them from going apeshit was amazing. I walked out thinking NOTHING in my world was very stressful at all compared to that shit. The whole fucking restaurant full of kids was more stressful than anything in my entire life.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-17-2015 at 05:25 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Hahaha, man, that's my JOB right now. I'm in the 2 yr classroom at a non-recurring child care (ski resort woot!) and I've learned what it means to find infinite patience. I mean, I can spend all day watching the kids make a food mess or wait for them to actually eat or make a decision on what to eat (if they come with their own choices of food), it's the crying and screaming at a nap time or any time really, that pushes my patience. One day was particularly rough, five kids crying about non stop all day (not even the same five, it just alternated) in a room of 18- EIGHTEEN KIDS. After my ear drums started twitching, I had visions of myself screaming at the top of my lungs too. This wasn't cathartic at all so instead I took a deep breath and simply imagined myself disintegrating into the air, being invisible, not there, there is no ME to get annoyed, there is no ME hearing the noise, I am nothing. I discovered the true meaning of patience that day.

That said, I love my job. My sister burnt out after a year of working with toddlers, I feel like I can easily do this for a long time.
    That said, I can easily see myself getting tired and wanting to take care of my own kid, not others.
    Last edited by halloween; 02-17-2015 at 08:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thought I'd share this.
    Forty weeks come down to a mother's first moment, and everything changes. Crying keeps her awake, but silence is deafening. She'll teach him to walk only to chase him out of the street, out of a tree, and out of harm's way. Then suddenly time stands still; long days and endless nights morph into years, and as other mothers are chasing their babies, her baby is driving away. The mathematics of motherhood: Days that last forever add up to years that pass in the blink of an eye.

Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    One on the way in March! I'm excited and terrified.
    Same.

I know, what a difference a year makes.

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    I'm still in awe as to how only children are the minority (Even a rarity dare I say.) in families. I know it's personal and none of my business, but I really am curious as to why parents believe in siblings, beyond/aside the "So my kids won't be lonely." reason.

It just fascinates me, because aside from getting married, procreation itself with or without marriage is one of the most popular and normal things to do, yet even stopping at one child still seems to stick out like a sore thumb.

Most families I know have 2 to 3 children. The families with 4+ children aren't as common, at least with people I've met and known personally. 2 and 3 are the usual amount of children they have.

As for me, I'm an only child and I'm still learning new and fascinating things about sibling dynamics that are very foreign to me.

I mean now, the thought of like say, even if you're not napping, dilly-dallying or engaging in tomfoolery, should you have grown up with brothers and sisters, you couldn't even return from school and change without being interrupted, let alone tie your shoes without being interrupted, as if it wasn't hectic enough communicating with your parents.

And I've been told time and time again that I can't even compare/gauge my communication/avoidance experiences to my parents with sibling communication/avoidance either. (Which is what I've based it on out of habit... and yes, ignorance too.)

I even have yet to see generations of only children. I'd imagine it would be quite the surprise of parents and grandparents being all only children.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 01-29-2020 at 01:44 AM.