Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AC (lightning bolt) muthafuckin' DC

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    So, unfortunately, Brian Johnson had a lot of hearing loss from the latest round of touring and his doctor advised him not to continue so the remainder of the American tour dates have been postponed. Guess who's been touted as the fill-in lead vocalist?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Alternative Nation is a tabloid, but who knows? As much as I love GNR/Axl, if I were an AC/DC fan and already had tickets, I might not be happy to see the band tour with another singer.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The only alternative for fans would be to not see them at all, as they have decided to go ahead and finish the tour without Brian. If fans felt like it wouldn't be right, they could always get a refund instead of going to the rescheduled shows (though they haven't announced what's going on with the remaining European dates yet). I'm an AC/DC fan first and foremost; I like some Guns N' Roses songs, but for me 95%+ of all AC/DC output is amazing. If they want to work with Axl, I'm all for it. This would be that dude's dream come true, and I believe he is absolutely capable of doing the job.
    Last edited by botley; 03-24-2016 at 08:46 AM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I'm actually not really a fan of either GnR or ACDC, but I would go see this lineup for the unlikely novelty factor

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Maybe he'll do a couple of dates, but i don't see him finishing the tour (and arriving 3 hours late to the shows).

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I dunno... this is just crazy enough that it might actually work.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Axl covering AC/DC at Coachella makes me even more excited and sure this will work

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ad infinitum View Post
    I dunno... this is just crazy enough that it might actually work.
    It's also crazy enough to completely backfire in a spectacular way.... I'm in the peanut gallery here. The whole thing sounds insane, but I'm fascinated.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    That statement from the band is super fucked up. Brian Johnson treated like some random scab hired gun, and not the singer & face of the band for decades and decades. What bullshit. I assume there's more to the story if they're being so curt in the statement. If not, then they need to fire whoever wrote that.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Judging by a handful of YT vids I've heard, this will not go well as Axl's voice sounds like shat. I know he's not 25 yo anymore, but still.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    That statement from the band is super fucked up. Brian Johnson treated like some random scab hired gun, and not the singer & face of the band for decades and decades. What bullshit. I assume there's more to the story if they're being so curt in the statement. If not, then they need to fire whoever wrote that.
    I agree, i guess they are bitter that Johnson lost his earing because his "outside hobiies", but that's no way to treat the guy that sang some of your biggest hits ever and saved your band years ago, i like AXL but this makes no sense...

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    This is from AC/DC's publicist, ostensibly written by Brian.

As many AC/DC fans know, the remaining shows for the 2016 AC/DC Rock or Bust World Tour, including 10 postponed U.S. shows, are being rescheduled with a guest singer. I want personally to explain the reason because I don’t believe the earlier press releases sufficiently set out what I wanted to say to our fans or the way in which I thought it should be presented.

On March 7th, after a series of examinations by leading physicians in the field of hearing loss, I was advised that if I continue to perform at large venues, I risked total deafness. While I was horrified at the reality of the news that day, I had for a time become aware that my partial hearing loss was beginning to interfere with my performance on stage. I was having difficulty hearing the guitars on stage and because I was not able to hear the other musicians clearly, I feared the quality of my performance could be compromised. In all honesty this was something I could not in good conscience allow. Our fans deserve my performance to be at the highest level, and if for any reason I can’t deliver that level of performance I will not disappoint our fans or embarrass the other members of AC/DC. I am not a quitter and I like to finish what I start, nevertheless, the doctors made it clear to me and my bandmates that I had no choice but to stop performing on stage for the remaining shows and possibly beyond. That was the darkest day of my professional life.

Since that day, I have had several consultations with my doctors and it appears that, for the near future, I will be unable to perform on stage at arena and stadium size venues where the sound levels are beyond my current tolerance, without the risk of substantial hearing loss and possibly total deafness. Until that time, I tried as best as I could to continue despite the pain and hearing loss but it all became too much to bear and too much to risk.

I am personally crushed by this development more than anyone could ever imagine. The emotional experience I feel now is worse than anything I have ever in my life felt before. Being part of AC/DC, making records and performing for the millions of devoted fans this past 36 years has been my life’s work. I cannot imagine going forward without being part of that, but for now I have no choice. The one thing for certain is that I will always be with AC/DC at every show in spirit, if not in person.

Most importantly, I feel terrible having to disappoint the fans who bought tickets for the canceled shows and who have steadfastly supported me and AC/DC these many years. Words cannot express my deep gratitude and heartfelt thanks not just for the recent outpouring to me personally of kind words and good wishes, but also for the years of loyal support of AC/DC. My thanks also go to Angus and Cliff for their support.

Finally, I wish to assure our fans that I am not retiring. My doctors have told me that I can continue to record in studios and I intend to do that. For the moment, my entire focus is to continue medical treatment to improve my hearing. I am hoping that in time my hearing will improve and allow me to return to live concert performances. While the outcome is uncertain, my attitude is optimistic. Only time will tell.

Once again, my sincere best wishes and thanks to everyone for their support and understanding.

Love,
    Brian

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Judging by a handful of YT vids I've heard, this will not go well as Axl's voice sounds like shat. I know he's not 25 yo anymore, but still.

I thought he sounds pretty good.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Yeah. People deliberately cherry-pick shows to blow up online where he has struggled, in order to make some point about how any given GNR lineup they hate is illegitimate or Axl is overrated or whatever. Baloney. Everything I've heard this year from people who went to see him points to his voice being super strong. He's a great fit in terms of vocal range. We'll see how it goes.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

sounds great

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneSax View Post

sounds great
    Yeah, some fans are upset by Axl filling in the shows, but he sounds good.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Yeah, some fans are upset by Axl filling in the shows, but he sounds good.
    7000 Belgians have requested for refunds. Their loss really

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I love people being outraged at Axl Rose filling in for Brian Johnson, especially ones who are unaware of Bon Scott and actual good rock and roll music. Sorry, don't like AC/DC. o

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    AC/DC are an awesome, straight up rock band. I'm actually looking forward to hearing Axl singing for them. Would love a bootleg.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I like the idea of Axl singing for the band as well. At least it's not Celine Dion.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Some videos of Axl's first show. Sounds pretty good.

http://www.alternativenation.net/wat...st-show-ac-dc/

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Full show.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Full show.
    A masterclass in delivery, timing, attitude, and intonation. If this doesn't earn Axl some respect, nothing ever will.

...you can hear the crowd collectively go "holy shit" after he slays "Thunderstruck".

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Axl fuckin' killed it with "Thunderstruck". Shit, I think he might be vocalist of the year for the double-duty he's doing. He hasn't sounded this good in years.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Axl fuckin' killed it with "Thunderstruck". Shit, I think he might be vocalist of the year for the double-duty he's doing. He hasn't sounded this good in years.
    My fave track with Axl too. Really nailed it

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    This entire thing just proves that hardcore AC/DC fans are worse than hardcore Tool fans, and that's fucking bad. Seriously, reading comments like "I hope he blows his voice out during the next show" or "Wow, he can't even stand? Pathetic!" make me angry, and I'm not even really an AC/DC fan or Axl fan.
    Last edited by Frozen Beach; 05-08-2016 at 11:32 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    This entire thing just proves that hardcore AC/DC fans are worse than hardcore Tool fans, and that's fucking bad. Seriously, reading comments like "I hope he blows his voice out during the next show" or "Wow, he can't even stand? Pathetic!" make me angry, and I'm not even really an AC/DC fan or Axl fan.
    To be fair, Brian was their singer for 36 years, and now they have someone else fronting the band. For generations of fans, Brian was the voice and face of AC/DC. Seeing them with Axl will take time getting used to, and for some fans, it will never be AC/DC again.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Not to mention that axl has been everyone's laughing stock for a while now, some AC-DC fans can't be too happy to see what was once considered an obnoxious tool suddenly fronting their favorite band...