Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here use Plex?

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)

Does anyone here use Plex?

I have been getting a lot of wear and tear out of my Plex account and wondered if anyone here uses it.

It's an app/program/whatever the kids are calling it these days that allows you to store any media (even the ill begotten kind) on your computer and create a server which you can then access from a device (in my case, my Roku box.)

The reason i ask is that you can share your media library with other plex users.

I have lots of books on tape and usually get the well reviewed dvd releases each week.

So if anyone else uses it, hit me up and let's get to sharing!

If no one else uses it, maybe some of you roku users will start. Other than the libraries that you create, it also has lots of other content (pbs, npr, history channel, syfy, etc.)

The basic version is either free or close to free.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    The media server end of it really reminds me of Tversity, it's what i used before i got a WDTV media drive. Account side of things sounds interesting though.

Sucks that there's no support for this from Playstation, prob have to grab a Chromecast one of these days.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I'm electrickoolaid on plex. Send me a friend request or however that works and I'll send one back to you. Happy to share my media library. :-)

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    bad ass @ElectricKoolaid !

edit: share request sent.
    Last edited by elevenism; 11-09-2014 at 04:12 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    damn @ElectricKoolaid .
    you have a lot more than me in your library.

i hope you find something you like in mine. i usually delete them after i watch them.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    SOOOOO
    does anyone else use plex?

We could all share and make a big, bad ass ETS media library!

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Plugging the NIN drive into something like that would be interesting if it would even handle that much content.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I love Plex. I have been using it for years now and have told as many people as possible about it. It really does pretty much everything I've ever wanted a media server to do. Makes the AppleTV (or any streaming device for that matter) so much more powerful.

Once they finally enabled the playlist making I was good to go. I have tons of music videos and I just hit shuffle and I have my own private MTV.

I do keep a separate "NIN" video library on there. It's got about 100 items in there. (just video, i keep the music separate) I made a bunch of custom posters and stuff, but I am still trying to figure out the best way to organize. (between videos, live footage, official releases and whatnot) That's my biggest problem.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @halo33 , do you want to share?
    i don't have a vast library, but i keep up with new dvd releases, especially horror and especially the ones that aren't on netflix or my friend's vudu library.
    It would be dope if we all shared, you know?

oh and i also have a shitload of stephen king books on tape.

me and @ElectricKoolaid share and as far as i can tell, there are no negative side effects.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Might install it this weekend. I'll definitely want to swap libraries if I do.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    Might install it this weekend. I'll definitely want to swap libraries if I do.
    that would be cool.

i wonder how many people we can get linked together?

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Adding May, Only Lovers Left Alive, The Babadook, The House at the End of Time, Kairu, and Session 9, for people thinking of joining.
    This is the result of me scouring the web for the best horror flicks i have missed.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    i got a good copy of Annabelle, if you wanna check it out, @halo33 .
    it's in the movies section (not the horror section...i should move it)

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    @elevenism , clear out your inbox homie.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Good news for Plex users that have PS3/PS4.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/...o-ps4-and-ps3/

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    somebody sent me a MASSIVE and extremely good plex library and i don't know who it is, but i assume it's someone from ets, because they have line every nin halo in their music library. thanks to whoever you are!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    i got ANOTHER plex library of about 1300 movies, this time from someone who just saw my name in the plex share thread on reddit.
    it is SUCH a trip
    this sharing movement is insane!

at ths point, i have TWENTY media libraries shared with me, and MOST of those are actually from people i don't know.
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-21-2015 at 10:24 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @halo33 do you ever watch any movies from my server?
    i'm always updating. I don't have a whole lot, but what i do have is damn good.

also @thelastdisciple did you ever get plex? let me know if you want to share
    (i am, of course, elevenism)

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    @elevenism Unfortunately my ISP started enforcing a 150GB data cap on my connection at home this year (after having the same unlimited plan for like 10+ fucking years) and between sharing with 2 other people I'm on a budget of about 1GB a day.

It just wouldn't be wise for me to use Plex right now

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    @elevenism Unfortunately my ISP started enforcing a 150GB data cap on my connection at home this year (after having the same unlimited plan for like 10+ fucking years) and between sharing with 2 other people I'm on a budget of about 1GB a day.

It just wouldn't be wise for me to use Plex right now
    i clicked like not because i actually "like" that.
    wow, a fucking data cap? That would probably ruin the internets for me.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    i clicked like not because i actually "like" that.
    wow, a fucking data cap? That would probably ruin the internets for me.
    Yeah tell me about it, no Netflix, no Spotify or Soundcloud, no Youtube (well i can get away with a few videos at 240p quality which is heartbreaking for someone who loves to see high res shit), no Twitch hell even Tumblr is a data nightmare. I have to use Steam super conservatively now.. it's ridiculous because new games are like 50GB+ in size, that'd be like 3 games on my 150GB cap and that's not taking into consideration the other people that need use of our "data allowance". I have to be selective when keeping programs or games up to date and patched, Windows 10 has fucking automatic updates that you can't turn off now which doesn't help me at all.

Hard to avoid using up a lot of data when THAT'S WHAT THE ENTIRE GOD DAMN INTERNET IS. (sorry not shouting at you, damn shit irritates me to no end lol) oh but my ISP will offer me an unlimited plan again for $15 more (it'd be $30 more if i wasn't using their TV service) but they can go and fuck themselves, not giving in to their bullshit.

I hope somebody stands up to these greedy assholes, so sick of this.
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 11-23-2015 at 07:59 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Yeah tell me about it, no Netflix, no Spotify or Soundcloud, no Youtube (well i can get away with a few videos at 240p quality which is heartbreaking for someone who loves to see high res shit), no Twitch hell even Tumblr is a data nightmare. I have to use Steam super conservatively now.. it's ridiculous because new games are like 50GB+ in size, that'd be like 3 games on my 150GB cap and that's not taking into consideration the other people that need use of our "data allowance". I have to be selective when keeping programs or games up to date and patched, Windows 10 has fucking automatic updates that you can't turn off now which doesn't help me at all.

Hard to avoid using up a lot of data when THAT'S WHAT THE ENTIRE GOD DAMN INTERNET IS. (sorry not shouting at you, damn shit irritates me to no end lol) oh but my ISP will offer me an unlimited plan again for $15 more (it'd be $30 more if i wasn't using there TV service) but they can go and fuck themselves, not giving in to their bullshit.

I hope somebody stands up to these greedy assholes, so sick of this.
    dude i am SO sorry.
    i don't know what the fuck we would do without streaming.
    my mother is disabled, my wife still isn't all there from a battle with meningitis, and i have chronic back pain, first from herniated discs, and more recently (in the summer) i fucking BROKE it in six places.

So Roku (netflix, hulu, plex, youtube) is pretty much WHAT WE DO, you know? I mean, we watch shit and discuss it...all three of us.
    I work on recording music sometimes but it's slow going because i can't even play guitar for very long without paying dearly in pain.

I guess if i lost streaming i would read a lot of books. My wife has a hard time remembering words since she got sick though and my mother can't see to well anymore so i guess they would like, idk, take up knitting?
    None of the 3 of us can work at this point.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck that man.

It would be like fucking armageddon up in this motherfucker at my crib.

As far as games, are you into retro?
    you can hack a wii and play all the nes, snes, gba and genesis you like.
    and as far as getting the roms, you could send me a thumb drive and i could fill it up for you.
    Let me know if you get around to, or even are interested, in doing that.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    And to think I'm going the opposite way and trying to get away from this shit and unplugging.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    So how does this work again?

I have free unlimited data for few months and then paying for it at a reduced rate for another few months, so i can go whole hog for a while. I was looking into this but I'm not quite sure if i can point it towards my WDTV media thingy where all my stuff is, how exactly do i put a Plex Media Server on to another Media Server? I'm kinda confused. :/

Basically i don't store my stuff on a computer so.......

EDIT: Well i think I can make this work since i have the network drive mapped, it's adding something to Plex via my computer at least.

Hmm so remote access might be a problem since i have a double NAT. Supposedly i can try fixing this by setting my second router into bridge mode. I think that will be a project for another day.
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 03-23-2016 at 07:00 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    i am keeping up with Fear the Walking Dead and Season 6 of Game of Thrones.
    I have also recently added 13 Hours, Witch, WW2 movies Defiance, Downfall and Letters From Iwo Jima (my wife has been on a borderline obsessive WW2 kick.)
    I've also been on a true crime kick and added There's SOmething Wrong With Aunt Diane, The Staircase, Capturing the Friedmans, The Cheshire Murders, a full season of the ID channel's Wicked Attraction, and a season of True Crime with Aphrodite Jones.
    And Star Wars Episode 7 of course.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I want to marry my Amazon Firestick. Best $40 investment EVER. It comes with Plex so lemme figure out how to run it and I'll be taking you up on your library sharing offer, @elevenism .

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    I want to marry my Amazon Firestick. Best $40 investment EVER. It comes with Plex so lemme figure out how to run it and I'll be taking you up on your library sharing offer, @elevenism.
    AWESOME!

Yeah, those things are the SHIT. We plugged in our roku box in 2013 or so and haven't watched regular tv since. We watch plex, netfling, hulu, pbs. Also youtube-i'm a total youtube junkie now. Oh, and there is a live news channel you can watch for free on roku and also amazon fire called CBSN. It is the shit-the cnn of the cable cutting world. They have live news all the time and there are a lot of commercials, but there are also certain times of the day that the commercials are very limited and they do like a full on live newshour. I highly suggest getting that one.

I will also teach you how to "fish" for people on reddit who have massive libraries and just wanna fuck the system.

As @thelastdisciple put it, Plex is like an underground netflix. I am so excited that you are going to join us on there, @Miss Baphomette . I wish more people from ets would link up. SOMEONE here has a lot of nin content on there.

I have some bowie documentaries and live shows including Five Years and Bowie's 50th birthday show, but a lot of it i just watched on youtube.

The crazy thing about all this is that when i lived in dallas, i went for long stretches of time without even having a tv.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    getting batman vs superman ultimate edition right now.
    @Miss Baphomette , did you make your account yet?
    you don't have to have any content to trade. i will share mine with you pro bono, and that goes for all my ets friends.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @thelastdisciple and @halo33 , check out the Ken Burns Collection i've been working on. I shared the library with both of you guys.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    So it's been a long fucking time since I've said anything here, and we've got a lot of new users.

So, who uses plex?
    And if you don't, and you're into, well, media, you SHOULD.

My library has gotten better and better, and I'll take requests.

I would love to do share for share, but I'll also share if you DON'T have anything, as people I don't know AT ALL share servers with me with literal thousands of movies and tv shows.

So, hit me up.