Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Man calls suicide prevention hotline and SWAT team kills him

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Man calls suicide prevention hotline and SWAT team kills him

There's some pages missing in the logic book on this one

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cal...led-swat-team/

Granted it sounds like there's some information missing here but all other news reports don't say much different other than he was alone in the house when the SWAT team arrived.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Why does a term 'suicide by cop' or 'officer assisted suicide' even exist? So ludicrous.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I know this is an old thread, but i saw it and had to tell you this story.

An old buddy of mine wanted to get on antidepressants, so he went to a state funded clinic in dallas. The dr didn't see him that day and he wound up speaking to a woman who had NO degree or certificate of any kind...she was doing clinicals as a student, learning to become a counselor.

He told her that he had been feeling suicidal. She asked him how he would kill himself, and he assured them that he would NOT kill himself. But she pressed him for an answer and he finally said that if he HAD to choose, he would shoot himself. Then the lady wanted to know if he had a gun.
    Now my friend was really into guns and owned a few. They were all legal, however. He liked to go and shoot them at a firing range. He was a pretty stand up guy: clean cut, well dressed, he even had a job as a city clerk, so he was a government employee.

Well, they didn't give him any medicine. They told him to come back another day, and that was that, or so he thought. He went on home.

That night, someone knocked on the door. My friend opened it and four dallas cops busted in. They wrestled him to the ground and cuffed him.

On his nightstand he had a few xanax pills that my brother had given him to help him with his anxiety until he could get his own medicine.

They arrested him for possession of a controlled substance and took him to the psych ward at the main dallas jail.

Now, i've been in the psych ward there for a couple of days, and it is HELL.

You are in a tiny one man cell made of unbreakable plexiglass.

You are given a mat. But aside from that, you get nothing. And i mean NOTHING. No blanket, no sheet, no book, no toothbrush or toothpaste, no pencil or paper, NO CLOTHES. And it's fucking freezing cold. So you are laying naked on a mat that someone else was laying on until you got there. They don't clean the mats...i'm sure of this because when you leave, they have you take your dirty mat and put it on a pile that says "clean." And you get your mat from that self same "clean" pile when you come in.

They bring you food, but you aren't allowed any utensils. They NEVER turn the lights off. There are two guards observing you at all times.

And the thing that disturbed me the most was that they write the word SUICIDE in red ink on the glass of the cell, underneath your name. Not observation, not suicidal, not suicide watch, but SUICIDE.

Lankford, Tyler
    SUICIDE

Just like that, in letters 2 inches high.

When the dr comes after a few days, you are suddenly feeling a lot better!
    As far as i can tell, they don't like spending the money for the extra guards to watch you, so they make the conditions just as god awful as possible so you will say that you aren't suicidal anymore ASAP.

I was there for about 3 days. But my homeboy was there for a couple of WEEKS. He was waiting for someone to bail him out, and they wouldn't let him out of the suicide tank because of what he had said at the clinic. (as for me, i never said i was suicidal in the first place. the jail nurse inferred it.)

So he didn't get killed, but if you think about it, his house was broken into, he was kidnapped, and subsequently tortured for a couple of weeks, all because he asked for some antidepressants.

If you are reading this, maybe you happened upon it for a reason. If you ever get locked up, unless you need someone to PHYSICALLY prevent you from killing yourself, DO NOT do anything to make them think that you might be suicidal.
    I've seen a few people do it because they thought they would be moved to a nice medical ward with a comfy hospital bed and therapy and nice, relaxing meds, but that is certainly not the case...not in dallas anyway.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I read this story recently, and it's horrifying (and maybe should be in the cops behaving badly thread): http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-kill-him.html

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Is there some reason why the police in the US aren't trained to immobilise people rather than kill? Or just wound so as to stop somebody being a threat? Seems like shoot to kill is the first option