Page 20 of 53 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Nine Inch Nails Inducted Into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    I wonder if Trent ever got in, what artist would induct him?
    Timbaland

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I think TR has a lot of options here, including some unexpected ones. The man has a lot of buddies in the business.
    Saul Williams. Dave Navarro. Clint Mansell. Maynard. Joshua Homme. Dave Grohl. Tori Amos?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Grohl would be good, he had some really nice things to say about him after the Oscar win.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Dave Grohl & Josh Homme together would be exactly who the HoF would want. Manson's literal career success is tied too directly to Trent I think. They don't go for your proteges, they want a big name that was influenced by you or that's a contemporary/friend/fan.

Stern being mentioned re: Bon Jovi got me thinking maybe it would be Fincher?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The HoF would likely choose who NIN influenced.

Or, just local Cleveland people.

Like Howard Stern in NY and he knew Bon Jovi across the river in New Jersey for over 30 years.

Trent is introducing the Cure because the Cure influenced Trent.

Alex and Geddy of Rush introduced Yes because Yes influenced Rush.

The guys in Duran Duran are introducing Roxy Music because Roxy Music influenced Duran Duran.

Tom Morello introduced Kiss because Kiss influenced Tom Morello.

Whomever introduces Trent would be someone who was greatly influenced BY TRENT.

Bruce Springsteen was inducted by BONO ... because Bono was greatly influenced by Springsteen.

When David Bowie was inducted in 1996, he hated the Hall of Fame so much he didn’t even show up. Madonna accepted his induction on his behalf. Because she was influenced by Bowie. She gave a long speech indicating same.

Radiohead will not be showing up, either.

Anywayyyyyyy, this photo of Trent and Robert Smith at a club in NOLA with them hugging and dancing while Blue Monday played circulated and Trent’s told the story 100 times, so it’d be surprising that Jan Wenner et al don’t know it.

"I end up going to the club, and surprisingly, everyone from the Cure is there. And the bartender calls me over and says, 'Robert really wants to talk to you.'" Reznor smiles, makes a face that says: You mean I have to meet one of my teen idols in a goth club in Louisiana? Now? In front of all these people?

"It ends up," Reznor says, "me and him, hugging on the dance floor. He's like, 'I love you, dude,' and I'm like, 'I love you too, man.'" The Cure fans formed a loose circle around the pair while New Order's "Blue Monday" pumped out of the speakers. "It was the greatest scene," Reznor says.

"We were both fairly incoherent," he feels compelled to add.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-20-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Isn’t David Byrne a bit old to have been influenced by Radiohead though? Perhaps someone like Grimes or St Vincent could induct NIN then?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    David Byrne inducted David Bowie. Guess he’s the guy he chooses for people who don’t show up?
    I thought it was just Thom Yorke who wasn’t showing up. Have the rest of the band declined too?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Sorry, my iPhone WiFi is flipping out right now ... went to edit my response and it got deleted, wtf.

They all (Radiohead) say they’re not showing up.

Lots of artists haven’t shown up, either deliberately or due to “scheduling conflicts”

So maybe Jan sends David Byrne in when that happens heh.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-20-2019 at 02:03 AM.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I think the Hall picks who does the inductions if the band doesn't give a shit. But the band has final say. Howard Stern was picked by Bon Jovi personally. Trent is CLEARLY a Robert Smith pick. If TR got inducted, it is obvious Gary Numan would be Trent's pick to do the induction, now that Bowie passed (doubt Bowie would have done it anyway even if he was still alive since he disappeared into hiding post 2004)....I would put Dave Gahan as a number 2 choice.....Uncle Al at 3....Peter Murphy at 4 but at this point would Pete even be able to read the teleprompter or would he be too fucked up. Manson at 5 (see previous post about Murphy)
    Uncle Al would be interesting!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    This article quotes someone from the Hall organization as now saying everyone inducted "except a few members of Radiohead" will attend.

Besides Thom Yorke I think someone else who won't go is Ed O'Brien, who made some points about how disdainful they treat awards shows in Britain. It brings to mind the idea that a "hall of fame" is a very American concept which O'Brien hinted at too, one that may not be taken the same way by a very English band like Radiohead is.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    This article quotes someone from the Hall organization as now saying everyone inducted "except a few members of Radiohead" will attend.

Besides Thom Yorke I think someone else who won't go is Ed O'Brien, who made some points about how disdainful they treat awards shows in Britain. It brings to mind the idea that a "hall of fame" is a very American concept which O'Brien hinted at too, one that may not be taken the same way by a very English band like Radiohead is.
    Yet, most members of Yes thought it was awesome. So I guess it just depends. Some people are just adverse to awards, in general, especially this which isn’t really based on any logical thing other than ... I dunno.

ALSO... there’s been that ongoing controversy about how much tickets cost for this thing, even to bring your own FAMILY members. Very bougie.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-20-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Dave Grohl's not a bad shout actually, but i think it'll be Gary when it happens (so long as he is still with us, fuck anything could happen in the next few years!)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Sorry, my iPhone WiFi is flipping out right now ... went to edit my response and it got deleted, wtf.

Lots of artists haven’t shown up, either deliberately or due to “scheduling conflicts”

So maybe Jan sends David Byrne in when that happens heh.
    Byrne might have been a last ditch effort from the Hall to sweeten the deal for Radiohead, after all they are named after a Talking Heads song.

I still think the whole band will actually end up being there, but they just don't want to make a big spectacle of it. Very much doubt they'll perform though.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Yet, most members of Yes thought it was awesome. So I guess it just depends. Some people are just adverse to awards, in general, especially this which isn’t really based on any logical thing other than ... I dunno.
    Maybe more of a generational English thing then. Radiohead are much more of the post-punk mindset about these things than Yes who had a less adversarial relationship with the music business, and even some of whom have made homes in America.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Dave Grohl's not a bad shout actually, but i think it'll be Gary when it happens (so long as he is still with us, fuck anything could happen in the next few years!)
    DON'T SAY THAT!

gary's not allowed to diiiiiiiiie

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Maybe more of a generational English thing then. Radiohead are much more of the post-punk mindset about these things than Yes who had a less adversarial relationship with the music business, and even some of whom have made homes in America.
    I think it's probably more on an individual basis than an English vs American thing. There's not a huge cultural difference between the two, and there seems to be just as many award shows and the like in England as America. I think O'Brien's just applying his own feelings to the whole of the country. Keep in mind that England is the originator of all those talent shows, and have the BRITs, BAFTA, Mercury Prize, etc.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I wonder if Trent is still writing his induction speech. Hope there’ll be some red carpet footage. Looking forward to Simon Le Bon and John Taylor inducting Roxy Music too. Didn’t Bryan Ferry give Mariqueen a gift for singing Is Your Love Strong Enough? I remember something about that on Instagram

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Please let Trent join them on stage for a song or two. Seriously, that would be a dream come true to this humble asshole.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Last edited by allegro; 03-30-2019 at 12:39 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^that interviewer was cringey to say the least! Simon Le Bon made me laugh with his facial expressions at the end as she’s reeling off this social media and sponsor info

trents full speech

Robert Smiths speech
    Last edited by WorzelG; 03-30-2019 at 02:30 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Glimpse of Trent and Mariqueen at 40.50 - but he goes straight in. Worth forwarding right to the end just for the appearance of Simon Le Bon and John Taylor for Duran Duran who turn up for an interview just as the show finishes.

Highlights for me from the speech - The 'Mercer, Pennsylvania to be precise' *points at random person in crowd* bit, the 'they've sold the best part of who gives a shit how many million records....', and the 'full disclosure' section is hilarious. Gotta love his sense of humour (I'm presuming these were his own words anyway, certainly seems like it...).
    Last edited by simonn; 03-30-2019 at 02:47 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    So social media is spinning Stevie Nicks being inducted twice as some blow for womankind but how is her career are even comparable to the industry today? The music industry is in the toilet and you'd be forgiven for thinking things have got worse for women in music (whether fan or musician) generally especially when you consider the recent Ryan Adams revelations and the underage girl grooming by those terrible pop punk bands

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Glimpse of Trent and Mariqueen at 40.50 - but he goes straight in. Worth forwarding right to the end just for the appearance of Simon Le Bon and John Taylor for Duran Duran who turn up for an interview just as the show finishes.

Highlights for me from the speech - The 'Mercer, Pennsylvania to be precise' *points at random person in crowd* bit, the 'they've sold the best part of who gives a shit how many million records....', and the 'full disclosure' section is hilarious. Gotta love his sense of humour (I'm presuming these were his own words anyway, certainly seems like it...).
    I like the bit about Robert Smith's 100% being Robert Smith authenticity

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Trent gave a perfect speech for the Cure. I'm loving the union of 2 of my favorite living artists. Hope they work together in the future.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The Cure performed “Shake Dog Shake”, “‘A Forest”, “Love Song”, “Just Like Heaven,” and “Boys Don’t Cry.”

Roxy Music performed “In Every Dream Home A Heartache,” “Out Of The Blue,” “Love Is The Drug,” “More Than This,” “Avalon,” and “Editions Of You.” (Without Brian Eno and Paul Thompson.)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    That's more than bands used to be able to play. I guess because Bon Jovi went 2 hours last year they've opened up to more performing time for everyone.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    So social media is spinning Stevie Nicks being inducted twice as some blow for womankind but how is her career are even comparable to the industry today? The music industry is in the toilet and you'd be forgiven for thinking things have got worse for women in music (whether fan or musician) generally especially when you consider the recent Ryan Adams revelations and the underage girl grooming by those terrible pop punk bands
    Just looking on it from the outside, it doesn't feel like the industry has been rocked as hard as the movie business was when all the Weinstein stuff was coming out.

Someone pointed out that Tina Turner should have been the first woman to be inducted twice, as she's only now in as part of "Ike And Tina Turner".

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I like the bit about Robert Smith's 100% being Robert Smith authenticity
    I thought his section about the artist with their own aethestic etc, described NIN to an absolute tee - I don't profess to know much about The Cure outside of 2-3 songs - and honestly not likely to going forward, but he nailed that speech didn't he - witty, eloquent and passionate. Perfect.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Someone pointed out that Tina Turner should have been the first woman to be inducted twice, as she's only now in as part of "Ike And Tina Turner".
    Diana Ross. There’s a LIST. But there are dozens of guys already in twice, of course.

“Nipplegate” pretty much wrecked Janet Jackson’s career, yet Adam Levine took his shirt off at the Super Bowl and paraded his nipples around. This Janet Jackson induction is redemption. The HoF still represents the Old White Dude-operated music industry, though.

Bon Jovi played for TWO HOURS, seriously??
    Last edited by allegro; 03-30-2019 at 03:25 PM.