Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Nine Inch Nails Inducted Into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    You know who's been inducted? The BeeGee's. Donovan. James Taylor. Because they're so very Rock n Roll.
    Not doubting it (you), I find it to be ridiculous at times, if I had it my way KISS and Van Halen would not be in there, but I think these days it's just sort of a "cement your legacy" type honor that's thrown around. Yeah, those artists you mentioned don't "rock" per say, but they had a heavy influence on other artists (maybe not the Bee Gee's, but they were fucking massive with the SNF soundtrack, and I think they have some legit great music). I won't defend it to the fullest extent, but I do see where you and others are coming from along with the likes of the other side who gear up for it every April.

FWIW, Donnovan had one of the worst inductions ever, look it up, it's insanely bad.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Disco is not Rock n Roll.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-09-2014 at 11:28 PM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Disco is not Rock n Roll.
    Of course it's not, never said it was, but do they belong with their peers? Absolutely. Would it help if I just said to change the name to the "Contemporary Music Hall of Fame"?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I think the official line now is that "rock & roll" is basically just a euphemism for popular music. The "Popular Music Hall of Fame" doesn't have the same ring to it admittedly.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yes.
    Kiss is more Rock n Roll than the fucking Supremes (who were inducted).
    Last edited by allegro; 10-09-2014 at 11:34 PM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I think the official line now is that "rock & roll" is basically just a euphemism for popular music. The "Popular Music Hall of Fame" doesn't have the same ring to it admittedly.
    Bingo!
    Yes.
    Kiss is more Rock n Roll than the fucking Supremes (who were inducted).
    Yes, but can we agree that The Supremes are a much more significant band than KISS? Unless we're talking about marketing and product placement.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    FWIW, Donovan had one of the worst inductions ever, look it up, it's insanely bad.
    Like how bad? Mike Love probably has the worst one I can think of, he's practically cutting a heel promo on Mick Jagger and The Beatles.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Like how bad? Mike Love probably has the worst one I can think of, he's practically cutting a heel promo on Mick Jagger and The Beatles.
    It's pretty bad, he literally just starts saying random sentences, I can't tell if he's high or just very out there. Certainly didn't help that Mellencamp was the one who inducted him.

Mike Love had one of my favorites. When he says "Mick Jagger was always too chickenshit to be on stage with the Beach Boys", I lose it. Dude is clearly coked out of his mind.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    They induct "influences" like R&B and Jazz and Blues artists and this is meaningless when a LOT of these artists died penniless and the suits who own the museum are only collecting cash but not donating one dime to these artists' families.

(Supremes Flo Ballard, for instance)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    ^ That's essentially why Van Morrison refused to appear.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    They induct "influences" like R&B and Jazz and Blues artists and this is meaningless when a LOT of these artists died penniless and the suits who own the museum are only collecting cash but not donating one dime to these artists' families.
    Fair enough, but like you stated, it basically is a glorified museum/Hard Rock Café, I'm not condoning their business practices in any way, but you can't honestly be that surprised that their families aren't cashing in on this.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    It's run by the same people that run the Grammies; of course not.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I'm not sure if NIN will get in. I think Trent deserves the win but isn't it a popularity contest? Isn't that how Nirvana got in?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Dudes, it's the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, which makes the Grammies seem downright prestigious. It's a total load of shit, a giant building in Cleveland that's nothing more than a Hard Rock Cafe

Than what the hell are the Oscars? Watching that load of crap was more difficult than Grammys or MTV music awards, seemed more fake than a shitty presidential or VP debate.

I'm going a bit off topic here but people seem to hold the Oscars like it's so much different than music awards. And for the record I'm not singling out Allegro or his post. Just remembering watching that garbage on a Sunday evening and thinking "get to the best score, win or lose, so I can turn this load of shit off". Then a year or 2 later TGWTDT gets completely left off!? "Yeah, let's give the new guy with the big name and a following the best score and get it out of the way!"

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    It's run by the same people that run the Grammies; of course not.
    Exactly! Which is why I don't believe anyone is particularly wrong in the argument of if it's prestigious or not. Both are ridiculous events of self promotion and label jockeying and places to see different musicians perform with each other that actually turn out to be pretty lame. But there are a lot of people who don't take that view of it and who think that this is a huge deal, and to a degree it is. I'll put it this way, if we're having a discussion on who should/shouldn't be in, it's served a majority of its purpose.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The Oscars are voted on by peers, each other, other Oscar winners. When Reznor won, he became a voting member of the Academy, from what I understand, anyway. (I'm a female, btw.)
    Last edited by allegro; 10-09-2014 at 11:48 PM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    I'm not sure if NIN will get in. I think Trent deserves the win but isn't it a popularity contest? Isn't that how Nirvana got in?
    I fucking hate Nirvana, but it would be naïve to say they didn't deserve to be in. It's a popularity contest, but a lot of the voters are (I would hope so) old enough to remember how big NIN were in the mid 90's, that would probably get them in alone.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    More often than not, the Oscars tend to get things right. There's only been a handful of times where I outright disagreed with the nominations. A lot of the material for the Oscars is more critically acclaimed than with the Grammy's or to a lesser extent, the Emmy's.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The Oscars are voted on by peers, each other, other Oscar winners. When Reznor won, he became a voting member of the Academy of Recording Arts and Science, from what I understand, anyway.
    And if he is inducted he'll be able to have a vote in future Hall of Famers. Everyone inducted who is alive gets a vote. Unfortunately they aren't the only ones which is where things go sideways, that is if a lot of them even care.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I revised that, Recording Arts is Glammies.

It's late, I'm tired. Oscars is Motion Picture Arts and Sciences

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Sorry about the misunderstanding of gender. Voting still doesn't change the farce that one watches during the Oscars- at least music awards have the entertainment factor of watching a train wreck rather than the Oscars feel of a fake political "PC" debate.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    I f*cking hate Nirvana,
    I thought I was the only one who doesn't like Nirvana, never heard anyone else say they didn't like them.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yes, it's a boooooooring show, except the gowns and horrifying plastic surgery.

Us seasoned Oscars viewers know when the "good" awards are awarded and we channel-surf a lot in between.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

I know this looks random but it speaks to a lot of what I think about awarding art in general, specifically what he says towards the end.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    There are way worse award shows, ever watch The People's Choice Awards? Golden Globes are my favorite though, you never know who's going to show up shitfaced.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I liked it when Marlon Brando sent that Indian chick.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I liked it when Marlon Brando sent that Indian chick.
    Most gangsta move aside from George C. Scott telling the Academy to go fuck themselves.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Or the letter that John Lydon (Johnny Rotten) sent to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame on behalf of himself and the Sex Pistols upon their induction

Last edited by allegro; 10-10-2014 at 12:09 AM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    That letter in itself should be in the museum at the very least.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    For the people worrying this isn't a level playing field based on the age of some of these bands' fans not using the internet... you have nothing to worry about...
    as of 11:30PM PDT:

Stevie Ray Vaughn is leading the pack at #1 with 20.82% of the votes.
    Followed by Green Day at #2 with 15.15%
    #3 Joan Jett - 7.83%
    #4 - Lou Reed - 7.36%
    #5 - Sting - 7.09%
    #6 - Bill Withers - 7.01%
    and finally getting smoked by the competition at #7, our precious NIN with only 6.44% of the voting.

I thought it was going to be more of a battle between NIN and Greenday... but wow, are NIN ever ranked low on this voting system.
    I hope the "other factors" that people say are based on play more of a decision making part out weigh this poor voting performance.