Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Nine Inch Nails Inducted Into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    If NIN does get inducted and Trent decides not to show up. You know what he should do. Post an instagram pic where he is playing video games with other members of the band with their backs to the camera saying "Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame... Fuck Off!"

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    There's nothing more cliché than pretending to be anti-establishment by not turning up to an award show for no good reason. I'm sure he'd go unless HTDA are touring then or something.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I hope. My mom and step dad are already planning on buying tickets for me. Oh please, oh please. Even if he decides to be a bitch, it should still be fun without him. It would just be a billion times more fun to see him there.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    There's nothing more cliché than pretending to be anti-establishment by not turning up to an award show for no good reason. I'm sure he'd go unless HTDA are touring then or something.
    Yeah but there's millions of reasons to not show up at the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Yeah but there's millions of reasons to not show up at the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame.
    Really? I can't think of any that wouldn't also be reason to not go to the Oscars, Grammies etc

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Easy, they're a sham. Sure, you feel glad that you're part of a place with some great artists but then you feel guilty for the fact that other acts get passed over including those that paved the way for you. Plus, you're being forced to eat overpriced food and waste money on a bunch of stupid things run by a bunch of old farts who don't know anything about music. Plus, you realize that other people that were in your band don't get mentioned and you get mad at the organization for excluding them.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Easy, they're a sham. Sure, you feel glad that you're part of a place with some great artists but then you feel guilty for the fact that other acts get passed over including those that paved the way for you. Plus, you're being forced to eat overpriced food and waste money on a bunch of stupid things run by a bunch of old farts who don't know anything about music. Plus, you realize that other people that were in your band don't get mentioned and you get mad at the organization for excluding them.
    You just described the Oscars

It's a sham, people vote for favourites and snub those who doesn't "respect" them. They constantly pass up great films, especially in international cinema, the voting isn't done by people who are filmmakers but mostly studio heads who have never made a film. And 90% of a film crew doesn't even have an option to be nominated as their roles aren't deemed worthy of awards.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I thought the Academy had 6000 voters, in the various disciplines? They can't all be studio heads surely?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I thought the Academy had 6000 voters, in the various disciplines? They can't all be studio heads surely?
    True, but very few are actually film makers, much like few of the voters for R&RHoF are musicians. The thing is, every single award given by its own industry is incestual and flawed, rather than being snobby just take praise when given.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    You just described the Oscars

It's a sham, people vote for favourites and snub those who doesn't "respect" them. They constantly pass up great films, especially in international cinema, the voting isn't done by people who are filmmakers but mostly studio heads who have never made a film. And 90% of a film crew doesn't even have an option to be nominated as their roles aren't deemed worthy of awards.
    The voting is NOT "mostly by studio heads." The voting is by the 6000+ Members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

http://movies.about.com/od/awards/f/oscars122504.htm

http://www.oscars.org/oscars/voting

http://www.oscars.org/about/become-new-member

http://www.goldderby.com/cms/view/209/

"Best Picture" award goes to producers but see above process in narrowing that down, still ultimately selected by Members of the Academy.

The Academy Awards are, obviously, very very American. But Hollywood is where, again?

And, no, "Best Boy" and "Key Grip" never were Oscar recipients, but I don't think you'll hear a single Key Grip in Hollywood bitch about that, especially not one who worked on a film that won an Oscar.

I knew a cool old sound guy dude who did stuff that won Emmies, my ski instructor's late husband (RIP Don), and he had that shit on his BUSINESS CARD, lol.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-18-2014 at 05:41 AM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I don't think it's fair to compare R&RHoF and the Oscars or Grammy's For some reason the R&RHoF doesn't seem as prestigious as the Academy Awards or the Grammys. The latter two seem official while the Hall of Fame seems pretty amateurish. I could see how a artist like Trent, nominated for all three at one point, could go to the Oscars or Grammy ceremony but miss the R&RHoF because his kid has a piano recital or he just doesn't feel like going. Not in a, "fuck you to the man" kinda way. Just out of apathy.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The Hall of Fame isn't an "Award," technically. It's an "induction" into a "Hall of Fame."

The nomination and voting process for Grammies is different than for Oscars.

http://www.grammy.org/recording-acad...voting-process

While I admit hating the HoF, I admit watching the performance show every year (mostly for the same reason people go to NASCAR races). For some reason, I doubt that Reznor would blow off an induction ceremony in Cleveland.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-18-2014 at 11:17 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    TR already got down on his knees and sucked off the Grammies after 20 years of saying they are bullshit. Its too late for him to act anti-establishment again, thats over with....Between the grammy's, the oscars and going back to a major label, TR is about as corporate as metallica or his buddy Dave Grohl...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Sometimes ya gotta go where your manager points you, then you fire your manager. Trent Reznor did that dance show wearing sunglasses in the UK when With Teeth was released, far more humiliating.

I don't think Reznor has ever been anti-establishment. He didn't SEND BACK his Grammies.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-18-2014 at 11:21 AM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    TR is about as corporate as metallica or his buddy Dave Grohl...
    You go girl... PREACH IT!!!

Just last night I saw TR on a SportsCenter commercial, and word is he'll be at the NASCAR race tomorrow to do the honorary "Start your engines", followed by a riveting version of "Fuel".

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Sometimes ya gotta go where your manager points you, then you fire your manager. Trent Reznor did that dance show wearing sunglasses in the UK when With Teeth was released, far more humiliating.
    CD:UK wasn't a dance show, it was a music show aimed at kids that followed the best kids show ever, SMTV:Live. THAT'S how bad it was that he was on.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I don't think Reznor has ever been anti-establishment. He didn't SEND BACK his Grammies.
    I think I remember an interview where he said having a Grammy was kinda cool but he had no idea where he put them. Trent will probably accept most awards, it's just that he doesn't put that shit on a huge pedestal like others. Although, I think he's really proud of his Golden Globes and Academy Award wins because he never imagined it happening.

I remember I had the Golden Globes on my TV in the background while doing stuff, and suddenly Trent won it and I leapt out of my chair like I won the lottery or something. Really cool moment there.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 10-18-2014 at 10:28 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    TR already got down on his knees and sucked off the Grammies after 20 years of saying they are bullshit. Its too late for him to act anti-establishment again, thats over with....Between the grammy's, the oscars and going back to a major label, TR is about as corporate as metallica or his buddy Dave Grohl...
    Or Pearl Jam on any other band that has made it to the mainstream. And at this point who really cares? He is not in his 20's anymore.

For some reason, I doubt that Reznor would blow off an induction ceremony in Cleveland.
    I couldn't agree more.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    Or Pearl Jam on any other band that has made it to the mainstream. And at this point who really cares? He is not in his 20's anymore.
    no Ed told them to get fucked to their faces

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Awesome. It will be interesting to see who will be chosen to give the induction speech.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    If NIN does get inducted and Trent decides not to show up. You know what he should do. Post an instagram pic where he is playing video games with other members of the band with their backs to the camera saying "Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame... Fuck Off!"
    IDK what would happen if Trent didn't show up for the induction, if he is indeed inducted. That sort of thing happened with Van Halen and GN'R, but in those instances there were other band members present, even if core members refused to show.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    He was asked about it in a Rolling Stone interview and I sensed that it didn't matter to him, but also that he'd be a little respectful about it if he was inducted. And I think that would be the tact he would take. It's one thing to tell business and TV people to fuck off, but if he gets in and does that he'd also be telling the artists who came before him to do so as well (because as I said before, anyone inducted who is still alive gets a vote too), which I don't believe he'd ever do.

But whether he shows up at all is another thing. He's as busy as ever these days and I don't think he has much time for anything of a retrospective nature anyway (probably why the Fragile box is taking so long honestly).

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    So do the people inducted absolutely HAVE to perform some all-star jam at the end? I just can't see Trent jamming with members of Green Day!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Nope, just whoever feels like it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    This Alex Turner Brit awards acceptance speech is one of the most embarrassing ever - the microphone drop, no! Also all their music is geared for radio and they have been arse-kissed to from their very beginning - the idea they had to ever smash through a glass ceiling or prove themselves is ridiculous, like they're some fringe act

Anyway, back on topic I'd rather TR didn't show up than make some embarrassing anti-establishment speech

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    So do the people inducted absolutely HAVE to perform some all-star jam at the end? I just can't see Trent jamming with members of Green Day!
    Trent could do what Nirvana did and perform a "secret" show after the HOF show.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This Alex Turner Brit awards acceptance speech is one of the most embarrassing ever - the microphone drop, no! Also all their music is geared for radio and they have been arse-kissed to from their very beginning - the idea they had to ever smash through a glass ceiling or prove themselves is ridiculous, like they're some fringe act

Anyway, back on topic I'd rather TR didn't show up than make some embarrassing anti-establishment speech
    I thought it was genuinely funny, even if I'm not fond of the guy nor the band.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I know nearly nothing about this group or the Brit awards, but is that guy saying that they are breaking through "glass ceilings" because they are (not) being held back by the predominantly female R&B/soul performers that have recently won awards (like Adele)?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    I know nearly nothing about this group or the Brit awards, but is that guy saying that they are breaking through "glass ceilings" because they are (not) being held back by the predominantly female R&B/soul performers that have recently won awards (like Adele)?
    There's this whole thing in the UK that guitar music is dying out or hibernating - NME is a magazine that reveres this boring indie rock music of the 2000s like Razorlight, Kaiser Chiefs and others who have gone to ground (because all the bands were hyped beyond staying power) and they have ridiculously hyped Arctic Monkeys throughout their career and they seem to have bucked the trend and still are successful, so I guess Alex Turner is trying to appear to defend that music even though they have never ever been hampered by anything in their career nor do they have a glass ceiling to break. I think any woman in music who is anything quirky and not just a happy shopper Whitney Houston wannabe warbler has a MUCH harder road than AM will ever have. Sorry I'm drunk and rambling and not sure I'm making any sense

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    While you're poll busting, do vote for Lou Reed as well.