Page 29 of 53 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast

Thread: Nine Inch Nails Inducted Into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    BTW is there any policy regarding explicit lyrics at HOF performances?
    They're on HBO now, so I'd guess not. But I think it'll be a relatively clean set lyrics-wise.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Apparently Trent found out about his Hall of Fame induction on the same day that Mariqueen gave birth to their newest child. Talk about having a good day!
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 01-17-2020 at 03:32 PM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    They're on HBO now, so I'd guess not. But I think it'll be a relatively clean set lyrics-wise.
    Trent Reznor: Said "fist fuck" then won a Grammy, and got inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. I dunno, four of the most likely songs he'll play all have expletives. Might need a parental advisory disclaimer before the show ha

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    They'll probably just bleep out the naughty words. Or maybe he'll come up with "clean" words to replace the swear words like "crown of thorns" in Hurt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Grats to Trent and Atticus!

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperpower View Post
    Grats to Trent and Atticus!
    & Mariqueen!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    sorry, i know this is off topic, but: congrats! and also, a deposit?!? how much are you spending??? (my engagement ring cost $40 and my wife's cost $50, and our wedding bands combined were only $220; we ain't fancy)
    Lol!! It costs quite a bit more than that. I don’t understand the appeal of jewellery, but she has old Victorian interests, which also includes swanky jewelry. So I’m splurging a bit more to get something she could eventually pass down.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'd be surprised if the setlist is not something like:
    Copy of A
    Less Than
    THTF
    HLAH
    Hurt

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Hope NIN throw 1 ringer in the performance like the Cure did with "Shake Dog Shake" last year. IMHO "Background World" or "Over & Out" would work quite nicely!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Wait, this is actually happening, for real this year? I'm so out of the loop it isn't even funny. Whoah. Long overdue, no matter what the man thinks (or used to think) of ceremonies of this sort.

Inductor has to be Numan.

I'd love MJK too, though.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    They will definitely, definitely do "Hurt". Anything to reclaim it from being known in the public conscience as a Johnny Cash song.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    Hope NIN throw 1 ringer in the performance like the Cure did with "Shake Dog Shake" last year. IMHO "Background World" or "Over & Out" would work quite nicely!
    Shake Dog Shake was more of a tribute to Andy Anderson who passed not long ago and performed on The Top.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Shake Dog Shake was more of a tribute to Andy Anderson who passed not long ago and performed on The Top.
    yes, i was aware of that. i'm pretty active on the cure fan forum. i just threw it out as an example about not playing the expected. robert smith had to be talked out of performing a set of new, unreleased material. it's a pity that "a forest" got cut from the broadcast. i've got it & they did a ripping version that night. the "and again" count was high!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    They will definitely, definitely do "Hurt". Anything to reclaim it from being known in the public conscience as a Johnny Cash song.
    The average person will probably ask why they did a Cash cover though.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    yes, i was aware of that. i'm pretty active on the cure fan forum. i just threw it out as an example about not playing the expected. robert smith had to be talked out of performing a set of new, unreleased material. it's a pity that "a forest" got cut from the broadcast. i've got it & they did a ripping version that night. the "and again" count was high!
    Just like how he was talked out of releasing Wish as a double album back in the day. He’s too easily persuaded!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Edit to ask: where can I find the list of members accepted or not

Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    "Head Like a Hole" and "Hurt" are essential. In between: hopefully "Dead Souls", but what about something newer? "Less Than" would be great to hear with Sharlotte and Lisa.
    Do you think a cover is likely?
    Last edited by jmtd; 01-21-2020 at 02:39 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Edit to ask: where can I find the list of members accepted or not

Do you think a cover is likely?
    If he's part of the big jam at the end, then yeah. I know he's knocked that in the past, but what better opportunity is there to get Trent and Dave Gahan singing together than this?! I can def see both acts being down for honoring Bowie or joy division etc

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    HLAH, I'm Afraid of Americans, *new song or two, THTF and Hurt

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    would love to see them do "i can't give everything away". i know trent said he wasn't going to play it anymore but this is a special occasion. the last time i saw NIN, it was the highlight of the show for me.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I mean i'd kill for them to pull out The Perfect Drug for this!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The Perfect Drug would make total sense, actually. It's a popular NIN single from the average Joe's standpoint, and it's not overplayed to death so it still would sound fresh live.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...fame-poll-vote

Another pointless poll, but LOL at manson in the lead.
    I have no idea what the status of Trent and Manson's relationship is at this point. It doesn't sound like they are antagonistic towards one another anymore, so that's good.

Manson, in theory, WOULD do a really, really good job inducting Trent. He's extremely familiar with Trent's music, he has been personally influenced by Trent's work, was personally mentored by Trent and has been a close friend of Trent's in the past. He CAN be a great public speaker. I can understand why people would want Manson to do it.

My fear is that he would show up to the ceremony drunk and act like a goober for attention. If the HoF asks him, I'll hold my breath and cross my fingers that he acts like he has some sense. He would either do an excellent job or a terrible one, and I just don't want him to ruin Trent's moment.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    would love to see them do "i can't give everything away". i know trent said he wasn't going to play it anymore but this is a special occasion. the last time i saw NIN, it was the highlight of the show for me.
    He said at the Royal Albert Hall in London that they wouldn't play the song again, then proceeded to do just that on at least six different occasions in the following USA C&B&I tour.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    He said at the Royal Albert Hall in London that they wouldn't play the song again, then proceeded to do just that on at least six different occasions in the following USA C&B&I tour.
    ya, i've got the tapes. you never know with Trent & that's a good thing!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    I have no idea what the status of Trent and Manson's relationship is at this point. It doesn't sound like they are antagonistic towards one another anymore, so that's good.

Manson, in theory, WOULD do a really, really good job inducting Trent. He's extremely familiar with Trent's music, he has been personally influenced by Trent's work, was personally mentored by Trent and has been a close friend of Trent's in the past. He CAN be a great public speaker. I can understand why people would want Manson to do it.

My fear is that he would show up to the ceremony drunk and act like a goober for attention. If the HoF asks him, I'll hold my breath and cross my fingers that he acts like he has some sense. He would either do an excellent job or a terrible one, and I just don't want him to ruin Trent's moment.
    I agree with everything you said, but having said that, I think it's best they play it safe. Having Manson there speaking would be a roll of the dice for sure.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I agree with everything you said, but having said that, I think it's best they play it safe. Having Manson there speaking would be a roll of the dice for sure.
    If it was Manson circa 2000, yes for sure. Manson circa 2020 I'm not so sure about either ...

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    let's just hope the HoF doesn't get "hip" & have f'n billy corgan do it. maybe they should have Trent induct himself. his speech for the Cure last year was 1 of the better ones ever. Robert Smith was getting misty by the time it was over.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    let's just hope the HoF doesn't get "hip" & have f'n billy corgan do it. maybe they should have Trent induct himself. his speech for the Cure last year was 1 of the better ones ever. Robert Smith was getting misty by the time it was over.
    (fortunately) the Smashing Pumpkins will be in Atlanta that night!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm really hoping Fincher does it. It's fair to say that he was as much a part of the music business as anyone when he was doing videos in the 80's, and from the time he used the Closer remix for Se7en all the way through to directing the Only video it made a kind of sense the two would collaborate in a more intimate way through doing the projects they have done and continue to now. It'd make for an interesting perspective rather than just another musician doing it.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    RE regarding Manson, it could...in theory, be a good thing FOR Manson. If he gets the gravitas of the situation if he was asked, and then looking back at his past for the speech he might tackle some of his demons and realise just what Trent has achieved since being sober/clean, and give him the kick and the spark to do something about his position. But again that's a massive roll of the dice on everyone's part.