Thread: Nine Inch Nails Inducted Into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)

Nine Inch Nails Inducted Into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame

http://www.rockhall.com/

Voting is officially open.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Bullshit, Warren Zevon still isn't nominated http://rockhall.com/voting/2015-rock...nees-fan-vote/

Oh and I guess some nails band has the nom

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    No Yes, and No Deep Purple either. Ugh. I did vote for NIN. Stevie Ray Vaughan, too. Nice to see him in the lead.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post

2nd to bloody Green Day...get voting people!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I wonder how much rock are Nine Inch Nails. Trent said he doesn't even like rock that much and label NIN as rock band just seems funny to me. If this award would be truthful to its name, I think the obvious option here would be Stevie Ray Vaughn. I voted for both though

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I think the HOF doesn't like rock that much either. Kraftwerk is in the running for Christ's sake.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Bullshit, Warren Zevon still isn't nominated http://rockhall.com/voting/2015-rock...nees-fan-vote/

Oh and I guess some nails band has the nom
    This fan voting thing seems so unfair to me since there are some old bands on there whose fans probably don't use the Internet that much, how do they get any votes? It's not a level playing field, I thought it was about respecting old hands rather than reflecting current popularity

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    This fan voting thing seems so unfair to me since there are some old bands on there whose fans probably don't use the Internet that much, how do they get any votes? It's not a level playing field, I thought it was about respecting old hands rather than reflecting current popularity
    The public votes only account for 5 out of a thousand or so, so it's really meaningless unless it comes down to a tie

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    They don't pick the bands only by thins voting. This is just one of multiple criteria.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The saddest thing to me is that the bands from the 70's that are being ignored all have members firmly in their golden years, or more likely have members who already passed on. And to see younger acts in, some of whom have really nothing but pop culture status and huge sales, kind of disgusts me.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Okay and now for a possibly sore spot for a lot of you to consider, NIN is only being considered now because of Trent winning the Oscar. It's roughly why I think Black Sabbath were finally inducted because Ozzy made himself a pop culture figure again because of the reality show.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Okay and now for a possibly sore spot for a lot of you to consider, NIN is only being considered now because of Trent winning the Oscar. It's roughly why I think Black Sabbath were finally inducted because Ozzy made himself a pop culture figure again because of the reality show.
    Er, you know this is the first year NIN has been eligible? It's highly possible that it's because of the Oscar, but it's not like they suddenly decided, NIN's just not been allowed in until this year.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I know that. But without the Oscar (and possibly signing to another major label too), I'm quite sure he'd be snubbed.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Might be easier to use this link, that sends you right to the page where you can vote for NIN: http://rockhall.com/voting/2015-rock...nees-fan-vote/
    and don't forget to hit the red "place your vote" button at the bottom.

NIN currently #3 with 12.05% of the vote (you get stats after voting)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Im hoping that NIN along with The Smiths and Kraftwerk and Chic all get nominated. all had massive cultural and musical influence and deserve it.
    To put Greenday in over a group with monumental influence like Krafrwerk would be insane.
    NIN are not going in because of Trents recent mainstream publicity boost by scoring films either. It was common knowledge in the music world by the late 90s that Trent had attained a special sort of status. Its endured and people know it, its quire rare for people to be nominated in their first year of eligibility usually reserved for bands like Nirvana.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    The Chili Peppers are in the HOF and The Cure arent....thats all you need to know about what bullshit it is. Bowie didnt even show up to accept his induction. the fact there are people clamoring for Trent to get in is idiotic...Nine Inch Nails and ROCK AND ROLL in the same sentence???? fuck the HOF, let them go suck off Green Day or LL Cool J....

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I know that. But without the Oscar (and possibly signing to another major label too), I'm quite sure he'd be snubbed.
    Couldn't disagree with you more. They were massive and arguably the biggest band in the world around 1994 and maintained a level of success that not many bands see today. Combat that with the late career renaissance Trent had in 2005 with releasing With Teeth and having a handful of singles on rock and roll radio throughout his entire career, and this is essentially a no-brainer. Nine Inch Nails getting into the rock and roll hall of fame is as close to a lock as it gets, and he easily could've done it without scoring for Fincher.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Couldn't disagree with you more. They were massive and arguably the biggest band in the world around 1994 and maintained a level of success that not many bands see today.
    Pearl Jam sold 1 million copies of Vs its first week and set a billboard record....so I wouldnt call NIN the biggest band in the world in 1994. Soundgarden outsold them as well, even those pukes in Green Day outsold them...Nirvana mania was also going big because of the suicide.....just looked it up and Stone Temple Pilots had a number 1 record for 3 weeks straight and they outsold NIN as well...Aerosmith outsold them as did the fucking Counting Crows..oh and The Offspring outsold NIN as well....maybe NIN was like 12th or 15th biggest?
    Last edited by billpulsipher; 10-09-2014 at 11:32 AM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    Pearl Jam sold 1 million copies of Vs its first week and set a billboard record....so I wouldnt call NIN the biggest band in the world in 1994. Soundgarden outsold them as well, even those pukes in Green Day outsold them...Nirvana mania was also going big because of the suicide.....just looked it up and Stone Temple Pilots had a number 1 record for 3 weeks straight and they outsold NIN as well...Aerosmith outsold them as did the fucking Counting Crows..oh and The Offspring outsold NIN as well....maybe NIN was like 12th or 15th biggest?
    Hey [billpulsipher], I said "arguably". Watch the Woodstock '94 crowd and then try not to tell me how [really] massive they were.

Admin edit: Don't be a dick.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^yeah but NIN sold a lot while being completely weird and a total outlier, all those other bands you mentioned were somewhat radio pandering

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Also, the HOF has a lot to do with musical influence and impact. None of those other bands are really remarkable on that front.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hall of Fame Nominations 2015.

Just reading Rolling Stone on line. I went over to check out the actual Hall of Fame site. Here is the NIN intro.

Trent Reznor is a study in contradictions: a self-described “computer dweeb” with sharply defined biceps; he makes music that juxtaposes the brutal and delicate, chaos and order, nihilistic despair and spiritual rapture. With Nine Inch Nails he has taken the sounds and sights of transgressive art — monkey messiahs, shiny boots of leather, serial killers — into the mainstream, transmuting alienation into community. Nine Inch Nails began in Cleveland in the late 80s as a studio project for Reznor, but blossomed onstage with his live band during the first Lollapalooza tour in 1991, which found NIN laying waste to its instruments in the afternoon sun as dismayed fellow musicians and converted fans looked on. The 1994 breakthrough album, The Downward Spiral, combined the mechanized funk and discordant noise of industrial rock with Reznor’s belief in melody and song structure. It debuted at Number Two on the Billboard album chart and spawned the Top 40 hit “Closer” — with its promises of animalistic sex as a way of being nearer to God — as well as “Hurt,” later covered by Johnny Cash. A mud-splattered, star-making performance at Woodstock in 1994 delivered Nine Inch Nails to the arena level. A series of carefully wrought tours — including a co-headlining trek with David Bowie in 1995 — followed, accompanied by visuals as transformative as they were simple. In recent years, Reznor’s penchant for futurism has included distributing music for free on the Internet as well as working for Beats Music to find a way to restore value to purchasing music. Nine Inch Nails returned in 2013 with Hesitation Marks, and launched a tour which continues to the present day.

There is a fan based vote that is part of the process that brings one from being a nominee. ....to an inductee.

Here would be a great place for that link____________________________________
    Last edited by wch1208; 10-09-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Also, the HOF has a lot to do with musical influence and impact. None of those other bands are really remarkable on that front.
    One might argue what huge influence and impact did TR have in the grand scheme of things? Giving the world/and spawning bands like Stabbing Westward and Marilyn Manson and Filter???

And killing it at Woodstock 94 in front of a bunch of drunk jocks and frat boys doesnt make you the biggest band in the world in 1994. They didnt even headline that night....

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm not really the one to go too deep with this, but I know the influence goes a bit deeper than just that. There are many more examples people will bring up, but the big one that comes to mind is Steven Wilson, which was just discussed in this very thread not long ago. There's also been a visual influence as the "Closer" video was cited as an inspiration when Tony Scott made Man on Fire (which is why it uses quite a bit of NIN in it).

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Yeah, here's the link. I would like to see NIN get in, so please vote!

http://rockhall.com/voting/2015-rock...nees-fan-vote/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Yeah, here's the link. I would like to see NIN get in, so please vote!

http://rockhall.com/voting/2015-rock...nees-fan-vote/
    Wow. NIN is getting its ass kicked in that poll!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    At least Stevie Ray Vaughan is leading clear ahead of Green Day. I know in the end this poll doesn't have much effect, but I can guarantee you whoever leads the poll will wind up in.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Where's Deep Purple? Where's the Moody Blues? Big Star? Yes? King Crimson? Joy Division/New Order? Look, I love NIN as much as anyone here but shouldn't these acts get in there first? It seems unfair these great bands get continuously disrespected by the Rock Hall.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Come on ETS community! We need to make our presence felt in that poll! Everyone go vote and tell a friend or two to do the same!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    And killing it at Woodstock 94 in front of a bunch of drunk jocks and frat boys doesnt make you the biggest band in the world in 1994. They didnt even headline that night....
    350 000 people on the spot + 24 milion people over pay per view